No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]

Parliament

Leach had a saying that "you're either coaching it or you're allowing it to happen."

That's always stuck to me as a parent.

What a bummer. I'll always wish I got to see him coach one more game against A&M.

12 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Wow. Just like that, in an instant, everything can change. RIP Pirate

We all know it but it is never real until it happens to someone that brings it to the forefront. This is what has been getting me in addition to the the news as I say I love you to those around me.

Edited by DanTheHorn

31 minutes ago, Parliament said:

For me, this is as rough as when Robin Williams died.  

Very similar in that it was tragic, but for me at least, natural causes makes it a little easier.

Edited by slorch

1 minute ago, futureman said:

I'd say the opposite.

He was about to have to quit football for health reasons.  That was going to be tough for him.

He suffered 24 hours max, which in the grand scheme of things is minute, especially since he was technically "out."

Those 2 things make this ever so slightly easier for me.

The flipside of that is thinking about how much he loved his family and the vast network of friends/ colleagues/  protégés he had.   You know he would have been a fun mofo just to be around and listen to his sage counsel and quick wit.  In that aspect, I could see it as a very tough loss, but no more so than Robin Williams. 

Got dam it this has really gotten to me. I can't think of another opposing coach I liked half as much or would legit shed a tear over. He truly transcends football...just an incredible human.  Someone upthread compared him to John Madden and I think it's spot on. Everyone from any walk of life loved the guy and can't say a bad thing about him. Truly sad time 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

When you look at the state-wide scores of Texas high school football games (go way down, into the 2a and 3a box scores), or take in a game, you’ll realize that Mike Leach may be the biggest single influence on football in Texas today. 

RIP Pirate. Some of the most entertaining, maddening, downright fun memories of football I have were created by your mad genius. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Changed the game and at the same time made Tech games fun the watch, no matter who they played.

Can you name another school that has basically kept the same offensive scheme after a head coach departs?

What an impression, amiright?

Some of the victories he had were outstanding.

Mike Leach is a legend.

A legend greater than most would have ever thought he would become.

washington-state-v-usc.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

I think you could argue that if you wanted to one day be a football coach, there was no better path than to go to a QB on a Mike Leach coached team.

Lincoln Riley went from Muleshoe, Texas to coaching Heisman winners at OU and USC due to Mike Leach. 

1 minute ago, Davis Lane said:

Changed the game and at the same time made Tech games fun the watch, no matter who they played.

Can you name another school that has basically kept the same offensive scheme after a head coach departs?

What an impression, amiright?

Some of the victories he had were outstanding.

Mike Leach is a legend.

A legend greater than most would have ever thought he would become.

washington-state-v-usc.jpg

i still have nightmares about Wes Welker.  Texas had NFL DBs and we still couldn't stop it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

i still have nightmares about Wes Welker.  Texas had NFL DBs and we still couldn't stop it. 

My first real Mike Leach initiation was watching that 2002 Tech game in the dorm. Oh god. I still remember that weird stick figure logo on the jerseys. 

I’m truly sorry for this next clip…of all the funny moments he gave us…this one showed also his true heart. Again, I’m sorry so spoiler alert…the tears started fucking flowing again watching it. Damnit. I read Leach donated his organs…also that he was at a holiday party Saturday night as well…I guess some people got a chance without knowing it to say goodbye. Anyway sorry for this clip:

Tears free flowing…floodgates opened…dam burst…

• Hook 'Em 7

5 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

My first real Mike Leach initiation was watching that 2002 Tech game in the dorm. Oh god. I still remember that weird stick figure logo on the jerseys. 

Wes Welker jersey from the aggie game punt return.  Might be at my house.  Might not be.  Those were some great teams!!!

jersey-Welker.jpg

40 minutes ago, 'stache said:

And 5 hookers whose honor he defended in life.

Rest in Peace, Coach. You’re legacy here is safe.

Screenshot-2022-12-13-at-10-08-34-Uprigh

The man had a sense of humor.  I think there is an outside chance this happens.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1