Fuck Big 12 refs

taybo20

Legitimate question. Why did you decline the holding penalty in the first quarter? It made it 4th and 13 and we made a 48 yard FG. If you accept the penalty, it would have been 3rd and 23 and out of field goal range. No gain or even a short gain probably would have resulted in a punt. Anything less than 10 yards would have made the field goal longer. I thought for sure you'd accept and we'd end up punting.

Edited by 'stache

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Legitimate question. Why did you decline the holding penalty in the first quarter? It made it 4th and 13 and we made a 48 yard FG. If you accept the penalty, it would have been 3rd and 23 and out of field goal range. No gain or even a short gain probably would have resulted in a punt. Anything less than 10 yards would have made the field goal longer. I thought for sure you'd accept and we'd end up punting.

Me? I didn't decline it. 

How the fuck should we know?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Dude- we gave up back to back 3/25 and 3/19 to tech. There was no way we weren’t declining that penalty. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Dude- we gave up back to back 3/25 and 3/19 to tech. There was no way we weren’t declining that penalty. 

Gundy is super conservative in those spots. It almost certainly would have been a draw up the middle for no gain and a punt.

17 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Wow. 14-1. That proves there was no fuckery afoot. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Because if you accept the penalty you know that Sanders is gonna throw up a prayer ball and get a PI call. Guaran fucking teed. And then everyone would talk about how undisciplined Texas is.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Dude- we could have given up a 26 yard draw play. 

They'd have run a screen that was fully contained, causing our spy to feel the need to help out, leaving a wide open field for Sanders to scramble for the first. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

Lol.  Ain't no fuckin way we are stopping a 3rd and 23.  

• Rage+1 1

17 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

It just seems like you're really hung up on 14-0 when it was actually 6-2 and most seemed correct.  A few went your way and a few (+ a few extra to appease the masses) went our way.  Seems like that happens every week in every league.  

Apparently, you haven't checked the box score. You're a liar and a fan of cheating.

The rest of that wall of text...

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3

21 hours ago, 'stache said:

I don't know why this is so hard to understand at the college level. Even with how good your kicker has been, 48 yards with a crosswind is not a gimme by any means, especially for college kickers - he missed a 48 yard FG at the end of the half. If he makes it you gave up 3 points on a bad TO deep in your own territory which isn't a bad result & if he misses it you get the ball back at the 38. If you accept the penalty a LOT of things can go wrong. Penalty, busted play, normal UT 3rd & long defense that gives up the first down, 15-20 yard gain that makes for an easier FG or gives Gundy a reason to go for it on 4th - all worse than the 48 yard attempt. Even if you hold & stop them & force a punt there's a chance you get pinned inside your own 10 or, at best, you get the ball at the 20 with a touchback. I get there are arguments against it, but I personally thought it was the right decision. Tip of the hat to the FG kicker for making it & we started the next possession at the 30.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, hook me said:

I don't know why this is so hard to understand at the college level. Even with how good your kicker has been, 48 yards with a crosswind is not a gimme by any means, especially for college kickers - he missed a 48 yard FG at the end of the half. If he makes it you gave up 3 points on a bad TO deep in your own territory which isn't a bad result & if he misses it you get the ball back at the 38. If you accept the penalty a LOT of things can go wrong. Penalty, busted play, normal UT 3rd & long defense that gives up the first down, 15-20 yard gain that makes for an easier FG or gives Gundy a reason to go for it on 4th - all worse than the 48 yard attempt. Even if you hold & stop them & force a punt there's a chance you get pinned inside your own 10 or, at best, you get the ball at the 20 with a touchback. I get there are arguments against it, but I personally thought it was the right decision. Tip of the hat to the FG kicker for making it & we started the next possession at the 30.

Agreed. I was indifferent on this for the reasons you outlined.  I would have been fine either way.  I'm sure we thought we'll take FG's after they cross the 40 all day (never imagining we would go 10 straight possessions with only 3 points, or, for purposes of this thread, that would be the last call on OSU all fucking game).

LOL at OSU fans here of all places trying to defend that bullshit.  The 12 refs are fucking over Texas (and OU), and it shouldn't shock anyone.  Just admit OU and Texas stopped propping up a bunch of nobodies, and they deserve some blowback for leaving for greener pastures.  Trying to justify that fuckjob is a terrible look.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, 59 Burst said:

I wonder how often OSU gets flagged on average? To go clean for 60 minutes is pretty fucking impressive. It’s bullshit, but impressive.

They entered the game averaging 4.5 penalties for 41 yards a game. UT entered the game averaging 5.3/41.3 per game. That's a 13 penalty 119 yard difference (not counting yards that were taken back because of penalties) in relation to the season averages. Even accounting for our extra sloppy OL & DL play you're looking at a 9 or 10 penalty 100-105 yard difference from the combined season average. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, 59 Burst said:

I wonder how often OSU gets flagged on average? To go clean for 60 minutes is pretty fucking impressive. It’s bullshit, but impressive.

Not very often.

We were flagged 3, 4, and 5 times in our first three Big 12 games and twice in the Texas game, so two fewer than our 3-game conference average.

Going into the Texas game we led the Big 12 in fewest penalties and were second in the nation (behind Georgia) in fewest among P5 schools.  

• Fuck You 7

3 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Not very often.

We were flagged 3, 4, and 5 times in our first three Big 12 games and twice in the Texas game, so two fewer than our 3-game conference average.

Going into the Texas game we led the Big 12 in fewest penalties and were second in the nation (behind Georgia) in fewest among P5 schools.  

You guys averaged 4.5.  Texas 5.3.  Both 41 yards a game.  Was bullshit.  But what can you expect the way the 12 got left hanging...

• Hook 'Em 4

22 hours ago, 'stache said:

Gundy is super conservative in those spots. It almost certainly would have been a draw up the middle for no gain and a punt.

Even Gundy isn't dumb enough to run a draw play when he knows he needs about 5-8 yards to kick a FG. There are about 6 different things that could happen there if we accept that penalty and 4 of them are bad. Only good things that could happen is we somehow force a turnover or a punt or missed field goal. The higher likelihood is that OSU gets back in field goal range anyway and makes it, throws some 50/50 prayer on the sideline for a PI call and a fresh set of downs or ends up converting and scoring a TD.

(never imagining we would go 10 straight possessions with only 3 points……..)

We basically had 8 possessions versus WVU, 9 versus ISU and 11 versus Tech in regulation.

One of these was not like the other. On a points per drive basis, OSU did not score that much more than these other opponents.

On 10/25/2022 at 6:17 PM, 'stache said:

You know how many yards the inside slants we concede for no apparent reason go for?  That's 20-25 yards, easy.  Just have to have the balls to throw to a wide open receiver.  My guess is Sark thought OSU would miss the 48 yard FG, but every kicker is Justin Tucker against us.

Edited by OU Sucks

On 10/25/2022 at 5:17 PM, 'stache said:

lol, I don't remember anyone in the game thread questioning the decision, we were all  "fuck 3 and 23, no way we're stopping that".

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Not very often.

Here let me help you formulate a rational response:

It is absolutely true that the B12 refs put their thumb on the scale in this game and fucked Texas.  However, Texas deserves it and will and should expect similar treatment for how ever long they remain in the B12.  Texas did themselves no favors by the entire team  playing almost universally shitty.  The QB/WR/OL having a spectacularly bad game and your coach’s inability to adjust worth a shit  were the primary reason your team lost.  The fact is you guys will have to play 120% what would normally be required  to win from this point forward to win.  Accept it.  Teach your players how to take a punch and fight back.  Teach your coaches to make adjustment.  Expect to get fucked by the  reffing.  Thats just the way it’s gonna be and it is what is deserved for taking away our golden goose.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

Here let me help you formulate a rational response:

It is absolutely true that the B12 refs put their thumb on the scale in this game and fucked Texas.  However, Texas deserves it and will and should expect similar treatment for how ever long they remain in the B12.  Texas did themselves no favors by the entire team  playing almost universally shitty.  The QB/WR/OL having a spectacularly bad game and your coach’s inability to adjust worth a shit  were the primary reason your team lost.  The fact is you guys will have to play 120% what would normally be required  to win from this point forward to win.  Accept it.  Teach your players how to take a punch and fight back.  Teach your coaches to make adjustment.  Expect to get fucked by the  reffing.  Thats just the way it’s gonna be and it is what is deserved for taking away our golden goose.

logical star trek GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

Here is a comment from the video.  I’m not sure i buy it but possible I suppose:

It does look suspicious but here’s what probably happened. 

I’ve worked the chain crew on literally hundreds of high school football games over the past 25 years. Typically when a ball is spotted after a play that results in a first down the refs will spot the ball directly on a hashmark to avoid measurements with the sticks. They will spot it if it happens to be between the hashes on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th down but on 1st down they will spot it right on a hashmark. It keeps the game moving and limits the number of measurements. I know it’s not done this way in college or pro.

Since the ball carrier reached the hashmark and it was spotted right on the hashmark the ref shouldn’t have even pulled out the sticks for a measurement. Because the sticks should have been marked on a hashmark. He probably felt the sticks weren’t in the right place from the previous first down.

More of a mistake by the chain crew than the white hat. Not sure why the white hat moved the ball forward though. That was a clear mistake.

Posted this on the WVU-TCU game thread, but certainly fits here too. TCU is going to be the conference’s chosen one this season. Expect most close calls and phantom calls to go their way. So fucking obvious. The number of penalties and yardage don’t really matter. You can see it in this game that on big plays for WV the flags come out stopping their momentum. Or they just hold on to them if it benefits TCU. 

Edited by CowtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, CowtownHorn said:

Posted this on the WVU-TCU game thread, but certainly fits here too. TCU is going to be the conference’s chosen one this season. Expect most close calls and phantom calls to go their way. So fucking obvious. The number of penalties and yardage don’t really matter. You can see in this game that on big plays for WV there’s been an iffy call or non-call.

Yup, it’s glaringly obvious we won’t be given a fair shake when they come to DKR

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 10/25/2022 at 5:25 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

Get humiliated often enough on 3rd and forever and your decision making reveals the depth of trauma.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 10/26/2022 at 3:53 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

Not very often.

Hey, Jeff: how was that game today? 

• Haha 3

Refs gave WVU the ball on this play after:

1. Mountaineers pushed a TCU player into another Mountaineer (who is already interfering with the returner) then into the returner

2. Mountaineer pushed a TCU player into the ball rolling down the field (although 21 for TCU shouldn’t have been where he was)

Believe this is the same crew as Texas and Okie Lite

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1