More layoffs at ESPN

Parliament

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Woj is the best sports reporter on the planet. This sucks. I should have seen it coming. Woj was completely checked out at the NBA Draft. 

Shams is the only logical replacement. He’s not on a network right now so he might be cheap. 

That Woj isn't the same Woj you're thinking of.

7 hours ago, slorch said:

ESPN radio is basically unlistenable at this point.  It is NBA every fucking time I tune in and it can be 4-5 times per day depending upon my location, and I immediately change to another station.

MLB doesn't exist. NCAABB doesn't exist. Hell, soccer doesn't even exist.  It's just just 24/7 of Damian Lillard( not his fault) and Miami Heat culture.

And that's a bad thing, because . . . ?

Just now, TxEx84 said:

Basketball has been over for 2-3 weeks whatever... Nobody except hardcore fans gives a shit about NBA until November.

ESPN owns MLB rights and it's still fucking nothing.  There's a crapton of storylines from the Reds to the Rangers on the upswing and the Braves holding serve.  Trade deadline approaches and allstar game is this coming weekend.

Probably just me though...

On 7/4/2023 at 8:30 PM, Hermanator said:

All of those have been in the 21st century.

The 90s was ESPN prime. NFL Primetime was must watch Sunday. Before social media and fast internet it was the only place to go for the day's highlights. It's why the sportscenter anchors with personality were so popular. 

With current technology what made ESPN great has  been made obsolete 

I guess.  Big Show was about the only thing I watched.  Gameday was always cringey and was only on for about three months a year. That was all I ever cared for other than live sports - real ones, not darts and shit. 

I don’t want to watch people yelling at each other about irrelevant shit, giving their dumbed-down first-grader analysis of plays, or giving up manufactured writer’s room “hot takes.”   That and major indoor lacrosse, bowling or women’s billiards is all that ESPN has ever shown since the days when the logo was lowercase. 

2 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I guess.  Big Show was about the only thing I watched.  Gameday was always cringey and was only on for about three months a year. That was all I ever cared for other than live sports - real ones, not darts and shit. 

I don’t want to watch people yelling at each other about irrelevant shit, giving their dumbed-down first-grader analysis of plays, or giving up manufactured writer’s room “hot takes.”   That and major indoor lacrosse, bowling or women’s billiards is all that ESPN has ever shown since the days when the logo was lowercase. 

Were you around for the pre-internet days? Highlight shows were amazing when there was nothing on the other several channels and you were bored. You're speaking like current day spoiled person with tons of choices. 

• Hook 'Em 4

20-30 years ago, we knew more about other teams and players on those teams because we were forced to watch SportsCenter on loop just waiting for the 30 second highlight of our own team. Now you just follow your team(s) on apps with on demand video clips. ESPN’s attempts to fill the tv void with commentary have been a failure. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

20-30 years ago, we knew more about other teams and players on those teams because we were forced to watch SportsCenter on loop just waiting for the 30 second highlight of our own team. Now you just follow your team(s) on apps with on demand video clips. ESPN’s attempts to fill the tv void with commentary have been a failure. 

Ironically old sports center is essentially a tv version of Twitter, instagram, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Were you around for the pre-internet days? Highlight shows were amazing when there was nothing on the other several channels and you were bored. You're speaking like current day spoiled person with tons of choices. 

Jesus you people have nostalgia brain.
Espn’s “original” programming was a running joke for the pre-internet era.  How many times a day could you watch Sportscenter and what else did you watch on the channel? The only other thing might have been Roy Firestone firing softball questions at some guy they were just happy to have on (which then ended up as 20 minutes of every Sportscenter for the next day or so).

In the 90s they showed Bodyshaping after 3 hours of live loop Sportscenter in the morning and that was the best back-to-back they had.   Then more Sportscenter with new hosts reading the same script. That was it unless pre-recorded bowling or harness racing interrupted the pattern. Sonetimes they’d repackage Sportscenter clips into a sports-specific show.  

Give a pass to their 80’s “figuring it out” I guess, but they really didn’t have a lot of “original” programming then and no one would argue that what they had was good.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 7/6/2023 at 9:49 AM, slorch said:

Basketball has been over for 2-3 weeks whatever... Nobody except hardcore fans gives a shit about NBA until November.

ESPN owns MLB rights and it's still fucking nothing.  There's a crapton of storylines from the Reds to the Rangers on the upswing and the Braves holding serve.  Trade deadline approaches and allstar game is this coming weekend.

Probably just me though...

Definitely improved their content this week post layoffs, today when I’ve been in the car for three different shows I’ve heard two long conversations on an ESPN flag football league draft and now Eurovision. That is much better content than NBA for sure.

On 7/6/2023 at 7:05 AM, Royale with cheese said:

Also, and I know this has been voiced several times upthread, but ESPN's Night of the Long Knives has somehow spared that racist cocksucker, Steven A. Smith. Go figure. 

And Kendrick Perkins...he has somehow milked a media career out of a 5.4 career scoring average and room temp IQ

• Like 2

On 7/6/2023 at 12:36 PM, David Dennison said:

Tom Rinaldi has entered the chat.

Feel good stories? Hell seemed to me that he only did stories about cancer, horrible accidents, leprosy and shit like that. Got to where I'd go do something else for 5 or 10 minutes to avoid his segments 

• Hook 'Em 4

On 7/6/2023 at 2:20 AM, slorch said:

ESPN radio is basically unlistenable at this point.  It is NBA every fucking time I tune in and it can be 4-5 times per day depending upon my location, and I immediately change to another station.

MLB doesn't exist. NCAABB doesn't exist. Hell, soccer doesn't even exist.  It's just just 24/7 of Damian Lillard( not his fault) and Miami Heat culture.

It's July. Every time I flip over to ESPN radio in the car, they are talking about LeBron. Enough. 

Edited by Deej
  • Like 2

It's July. Every time I flip over to ESPN radio in the car, they are talking about LeBron. Enough. 

It’s amazing. Same with fox etc

I had no idea people still were so interested in the nba

Then they will discuss a little nfl, but that will be about the jets and Aaron rogers

Absolutely zero baseball
  • Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, Deej said:

11 hours ago, slorch said:

Today they were talking about Tommay and Kardashian.

I fucking swear.

hey, it wasn't hoops, but it WAS absolutely fucking stupid.

All you idiots need to do is turn the XM dial over from channels 80 and 81 to the college sports channel on XM84. Way better content. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Congrats on sticking with public access and saving $12 a month, but I haven’t listened to local trash in decades and love the variety when on long drives. 

It's actually $5.50/month if you negotiate a little

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Deej said:

You're an even bigger idiot to pay Sirius/XM money to listen to sports talk.

Actually only idiots listen to sports talk to begin with.

Do you really want to listen to what “Dave in Waco” has to ask?

Listen to music and just watch the games live.

Fuck all of the other bullshit out there.

Thank me later.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Congrats on sticking with public access and saving $12 a month, but I haven’t listened to local trash in decades and love the variety when on long drives. 

So the trash is better because it's national?

Oh, and we can stream now. You don't need terrestrial radio or XM.

Edited by Deej

17 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

GDM7ZY64Y5D3VAEG6L4H34H4CY.JPG

I remember reading an interview with John Kruk, after he left ESPN. He had gotten ragged on pretty hard for his preseason predictions in their opening day show, he picked some head scratchers. He said he was told by the producers to pick some weird shit because no one wanted to see every talking head pick the Yankees or whatever team was hot shit back then. He protested but had to do it anyway. After reading that, I always cut these guys some slack for their moronic picks.

• Like 2

I was watching sportscenter for the first time in awhile last night. That shit is almost unbearably bad. Like 1990s Austin public access tv. The guy spent 30 seconds saying how he stayed up past his 9pm bed time to watch wemby because “that alarm comes at you fast”

They could make anything non-exciting

“It’s 4 down and 5 from the 6 yard line. Texas takes the ball across the line of the goal for a 6 pointer. That reminds me of when I put on my deodorant this morning, smooth across the line. Now let’s look at the table tennis highlights…”

13 hours ago, closetojumping said:

All you idiots need to do is turn the XM dial over from channels 80 and 81 to the college sports channel on XM84. Way better content. 

Wrong. You need to subscribe to breathing orange fire, the definitive houston Astros podcast. Listened to by dozens of people. Maybe 100’s. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fastbreak said:

I was watching sportscenter for the first time in awhile last night. That shit is almost unbearably bad. Like 1990s Austin public access tv. The guy spent 30 seconds saying how he stayed up past his 9pm bed time to watch wemby because “that alarm comes at you fast”

They could make anything non-exciting

“It’s 4 down and 5 from the 6 yard line. Texas takes the ball across the line of the goal for a 6 pointer. That reminds me of when I put on my deodorant this morning, smooth across the line. Now let’s look at the table tennis highlights…”

90's ACTV ruled. I would rather watch two dudes drink beers in random locations for 30 minutes than most of what passes for TV now.

• Hook 'Em 1

90's ACTV ruled. I would rather watch two dudes drink beers in random locations for 30 minutes than most of what passes for TV now.

I use to help a guy who talked sports late night with stats and trivia stuff. We would go to Katz’s after the show and sometimes eat with Alex Jones. I wish I would have punched him then.
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Actually only idiots listen to sports talk to begin with.

Do you really want to listen to what “Dave in Waco” has to ask?

Listen to music and just watch the games live.

Fuck all of the other bullshit out there.

Thank me later.

Most of the national shows have very little call in content at this point. I’m not that interested in music, it’s all just noise. I like sports so I listen to people talk about sports or I listen to whatever game is on if there is one. At least I did until the firings this week, because no one on ESPN is talking about sports any more. The shows today were absolutely fucking terrible. They really had to dig deep to find the people to fill the weekend spots. 

As far as Sirius, worth it for me. I can listen to pretty much any game on and flip between multiples. Football season when we’re on long runs back and forth to the beach, I can rotate between any game and just about any team broadcast depending on which side I want to listen to.

8 hours ago, Sandman said:

I remember reading an interview with John Kruk, after he left ESPN. He had gotten ragged on pretty hard for his preseason predictions in their opening day show, he picked some head scratchers. He said he was told by the producers to pick some weird shit because no one wanted to see every talking head pick the Yankees or whatever team was hot shit back then. He protested but had to do it anyway. After reading that, I always cut these guys some slack for their moronic picks.

It’s almost like ESPN tells them to take opposing sides on issues. 

• Haha 1