Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

2 hours ago, Disco Strangler said:

Coach Pop stopped fucking around a few years ago.  From today’s SA Express News:

San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich yells in the first half during an NBA basketball game against the Minnesota Timberwolves Thursday, April 7, 2022, in Minneapolis.(AP Photo/Andy Clayton-King)Andy Clayton-King, FRE / Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO – Spurs coach Gregg Popovich left Uvalde on Saturday proud of the way his players, especially the younger ones, did their best to comfort a grieving community.

“We have four 19-year-olds, but these guys displayed the same maturity as Timmy (Duncan) and Manu (Ginobili) or Mario Elie or David Robinson, with the responsibility they knew they had to the community,” Popovich said. “We didn’t twist arms or anything like that. They were anxious to go. They wanted to stay longer. They get it.”

But Popovich also experienced other emotions on the way back to San Antonio after the Spurs held a series of events to help comfort a community that lost 19 children and two teachers to a gunman’s rampage in May at Robb Elementary School. 

“(Mass shootings) have happened so often that it seems no amount of uproar from so many quarters makes much of a difference as far as trying to prevent the next one - (and) there will be a next one,” Popovich said. “And, in this particular case, you feel for the people who are hurting obviously from the pain of loss but who are also enraged and frustrated with the lack of action from our politicians.”

Speaking to the media before Sunday’s preseason game with New Orleans, Popovich criticized Gov. Greg Abbott and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick for failing to push for gun reform after the second deadliest school shooting in U.S. history.

“Our governor, our lieutenant governor…they have done nothing since that massacre to make it more difficult for the next massacre to take place,” Popovich said, referring to gun reform.

Parents and relatives of the Uvalde shooting victims have criticized Abbott over his inaction to address their calls for limiting access to firearms. They wanted the governor to call for a special legislative session to increase the minimum age to purchase a semi-automatic rifle in the state from 18 to 21 years old.

The 18-year-old gunman in Uvalde bought two AR-15-style rifles immediately after he turned the legal purchasing age in May.

“I just wonder what is in their hearts, what is in their bones,” Popovich said of Abbott and other politicians who failed to take action on gun reform after Uvalde.

“It can’t just be beholding to the NRA (National Rifle Association) and the image, the pay for the job, the position, the power. It just can’t be that. If that’s it, we don’t really have a country. The fiber will disintegrate over time, and we will die from within, just like every other great nation has done.”

A spokesperson for Abbott did not immediately return a request for comment.

Popovich also criticized Abbott for saying “it could have been worse” while initially praising the law enforcement response to the Uvalde school shooting. Abbott later said he was “livid” about receiving inaccurate information about the poor response by law enforcement.

“The information I was given turned out, in part, to be inaccurate, and I am absolutely livid about that," Abbott said at a news conference in Uvalde.

“What the hell is he thinking?” when he said it could have been worse, Popovich said. “That two more could have died? It’s beyond comprehension.”

Regarding Abbott saying he was “livid” about being misled, Popovich said, “He was more livid about that because he was personally embarrassed because he got told some bad info. That’s just incredulous to me. He expressed more emotion and frustration in that than he did the massacre of children and teachers. Disgusting.”

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wish Popovich would run for governor or lt. governor..  

I'm a life-long Spurs fan so I'm biased as fuck but Pop is a fucking wonderful human being.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, C-Man said:

I'm a life-long Spurs fan so I'm biased as fuck but Pop is a fucking wonderful human being.

My FIL was a Spurs fan until Pop started talking a few years ago. Refuses to watch them now. Also went to a game recently and heard him talking about the governor debate with his brother about 10 feet behind me. "Did you watch the debate? I tried to, but kept getting mad every time Beto would start talking."

A few years back, I remember him talking about how this new station called OAN was really good for news.

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

My FIL was a Spurs fan until Pop started talking a few years ago. Refuses to watch them now. Also went to a game recently and heard him talking about the governor debate with his brother about 10 feet behind me. "Did you watch the debate? I tried to, but kept getting mad every time Beto would start talking."

A few years back, I remember him talking about how this new station called OAN was really good for news.

Your FIL wants to live in an echo chamber. He must be stupid, lazy or old. Or all three.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

apparently Abbott missed a debate last night? what a coward

Was there supposed to be one last night? I think I recall Beto saying he planned on still going and would answer questions if Hot Wheels didn't show up. I'm not surprised as Beto trounced him the first time. I'm sure Abbott wanted no part of that again.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Was there supposed to be one last night? I think I recall Beto saying he planned on still going and would answer questions if Hot Wheels didn't show up. I'm not surprised as Beto trounced him the first time. I'm sure Abbott wanted no part of that again.

OPEN BORDERS! FENTANYL!

3c6a7ea90d5e1bc70dcc935ffac7634b.gif

Edited by DDD Dad

I was listening to the Bill Simmons podcast about the NBA season and I got inspired to do some bets on the season on Fan Duel. Guess what, I can’t. Because my permanent address is in Texas (I live abroad), I can’t do online gambling even with a VPN.

So I can’t gamble
I can’t smoke weed
A woman can’t get an abortion
Can’t buy a car in the weekend
Can’t buy beer before the game starts at noon

The last time I flew into IAH they seized a package of pork jerky from my luggage. I was like is pork fucking illegal here also?

What the fuck can I do? I thought this was the party of less government, but wheelchair motherfucker wants his fucked up Q values on me? Someone needs to dump that gimp on the floor.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

I was listening to the Bill Simmons podcast about the NBA season and I got inspired to do some bets on the season on Fan Duel. Guess what, I can’t. Because my permanent address is in Texas (I live abroad), I can’t do online gambling even with a VPN.

So I can’t gamble
I can’t smoke weed
A woman can’t get an abortion
Can’t buy a car in the weekend
Can’t buy beer before the game starts at noon

The last time I flew into IAH they seized a package of pork jerky from my luggage. I was like is pork fucking illegal here also?

What the fuck can I do? I thought this was the party of less government, but wheelchair motherfucker wants his fucked up Q values on me? Someone needs to dump that gimp on the floor.

Can’t buy a car on the weekend???

And y’all still have alcohol blue laws?

Texas has more fucked up laws than Alabama!
  • Hook 'Em 1

A 21 year old can't buy booze on Sunday, but on that very same Sunday...he can buy a dozen AR-15's and enough rounds to level a whole town.  

But we got 'dem scratch-offs for sale 24/7 though, yo!  

We're just Mississippi with oil money, that's all we are.  

Birth control is next, book it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Can’t buy a car on the weekend???

And y’all still have alcohol blue laws?

Texas has more fucked up laws than Alabama!

It’s the worst.  We make Oklahoma look like a bunch of librools.

https://www.tabc.texas.gov/texas-alcohol-laws-regulations/local-option-elections/

As of May 2021, there are 59 completely wet counties in Texas and five completely dry counties.

Liquor stores would kill it in sales on Sundays.  If they are really worried about G&A, they’d close on a Tuesday or Wednesday.  By far the slowest days of the week and not even close (unless a major holiday happens to fall on one of those days of the week every few years).

• Hook 'Em 1

You can buy beer and wine on Sunday at 10:00a now.  Me and his former Chief of Staff who is my neighbor helped convince him after we were both sick of standing in line outside our local Trader Joe’s during covid.  Of course Daniel also convinced him to repeal mask mandates and abortion rights for rape.  But we were both drunk at 10:01a in a Sunday.  

11 minutes ago, elfenix said:

the liquor stores also don't want that.

no shit.  i mean, if i owned a liquor store i would not like it either, but there is no reason it should not happen.  i am sure the cab companies hated uber.  someday AI will do my job and then i can lament joining the leopard eating people's faces party, but until then let's end the state mandated stupidity with fake morality blue laws and i can pick up a handle at the grocery store.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

no shit.  i mean, if i owned a liquor store i would not like it either, but there is no reason it should not happen.  i am sure the cab companies hated uber.  someday AI will do my job and then i can lament joining the leopard eating people's faces party, but until then let's end the state mandated stupidity with fake morality blue laws and i can pick up a handle at the grocery store.

Happy Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

uber had shit tons of tech bro money it pushed into fighting an industry that pretty much everyone hates - not just greasing palms but marketing to voters generally.  and, in this state, it had the legislature's predilection against austin city hall. 

walmart or whoever want to pony up the money to outweigh the liquor store owners then maybe it'll happen.  but walmart just dismissed a suit last month that it had filed trying to sell liquor in its stores.  so i don't think they're about to make that push. 

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

You can buy beer and wine on Sunday at 10:00a now.  Me and his former Chief of Staff who is my neighbor helped convince him after we were both sick of standing in line outside our local Trader Joe’s during covid.  Of course Daniel also convinced him to repeal mask mandates and abortion rights for rape.  But we were both drunk at 10:01a in a Sunday.  

Yeah, fuck that guy. 

• Haha 1

His commercial is on repeat during the game and it’s stupid but will work. Biden’s inflation is crushing is but we are fighting back. Beto will raise your taxes (and he also says it’s impossible because of an income tax ban). Abbott’s lowering property taxes he says and Beto is a Biden back. Just simpleton bullshit that will work.

• Hook 'Em 1