Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

Abbott's gonna lower the property taxes that he and the legislature raised?  Makes sense to me.

Better. He’s somehow going to convince the blue metros that he shits on all the time and forced into raising taxes by cutting in other areas to get in bed with him and lower those same taxes.

Once again, a promise with no plan how to get from A to B.

I'm sure blue County Commissioners' Courts are going to be real eager to do that.  If they lower their property tax rates, they will be fucked the next time the real estate market crashes.  They'll have to raise the tax rate during a bad economic period in order to keep County government functioning which gets your ass voted out of office in local government races

11 hours ago, pacman said:

Abbot, "We passed a constitutional amendment to ban ourselves from passing income tax legislation."

da fuq

i guarantee you a not insignificant chunk of texans thought if they didn't vote for the income tax ban amendment there would be an income tax immediately. 

nevermind that most texans would be paying less in state+local taxes living in commiefornia. 

• Hook 'Em 5

On 10/12/2022 at 6:03 PM, elfenix said:

the car dealers don't want to be open another day.  that's another day of staffing/etc.  same with the liquor stores. 

They should just close on a Monday.  Absolutely nothing stopping them from doing that.

Yeah, I don't really get the "liquor stores don't want to staff up for another day of the week." bullshit.  You wanna remain closed?  Cool, close on a Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday.  It's like the Sunday off lets your staff have a 2-day weekend since every liquor store is staffed to the teeth on Saturdays.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/16/2022 at 8:45 AM, kevwun said:

Abbott's gonna lower the property taxes that he and the legislature raised?  Makes sense to me.

Wasn't it in the debate that he made a deal about Beto saying property taxes increased under Abbott? Abbott said there is no state property tax so it can't be on him.

28 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, I don't really get the "liquor stores don't want to staff up for another day of the week." bullshit.  You wanna remain closed?  Cool, close on a Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday.  It's like the Sunday off lets your staff have a 2-day weekend since every liquor store is staffed to the teeth on Saturdays.  

I would hazard a guess that it wouldn't be a full extra day of staffing (or revenue) -- Saturdays are crushed in part because Sundays aren't available to customers. 

On 10/15/2022 at 1:35 PM, troph said:

His commercial is on repeat during the game and it’s stupid but will work. Biden’s inflation is crushing is but we are fighting back. Beto will raise your taxes (and he also says it’s impossible because of an income tax ban). Abbott’s lowering property taxes he says and Beto is a Biden back. Just simpleton bullshit that will work.

On 10/15/2022 at 3:04 PM, 4th&Five said:

I love the shot where he’s at a lemonade stand. It was obviously designed by someone who’s never seen a lemonade stand. 

On 10/15/2022 at 4:43 PM, Okie State said:

The commercials are driving me insane. Fuck him.

I don’t have proof Of this but I’m pretty sure our 3rd defense started going to pit when his commercial started to play every tv timeout.

Curse!

My wife's OBGYN said their whole doctor group is preparing patient files to be flagged for D&C's, even after miscarriages.  Even though the procedures weren't illegal at the time, the State wants to create a database nonetheless.  and all D&C's will be lumped in together.  $50 and my left nut says that database will be compromised by 2024 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

45 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It’s already here. They’re just waiting till after the election to bring the real pain.
I’m not kidding, not even a little bit.

Don’t forget contraception. They aren’t shy about wanting to go after contraception, but just gotta wait until next year,

Technically, the parents get to keep the DNA kit at home for now.  Within a year's time, they'll suggest turning it over to the state for a more secure, long-term storage option.  Until finally, your school's funding will require at least 80% participation.  

And all that sensitive and identifiable information about millions and millions of minors, will be the data security job of the lowest bidder.  

What could possibly go wrong?  

• Rage+1 1

45 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Technically, the parents get to keep the DNA kit at home for now.  Within a year's time, they'll suggest turning it over to the state for a more secure, long-term storage option.  Until finally, your school's funding will require at least 80% participation.  

And all that sensitive and identifiable information about millions and millions of minors, will be the data security job of the lowest bidder.  

What could possibly go wrong?  

nah, they'll pay google to handle all that. It'll be bundled in with the district's internet and web hosting account. It'll be accessible from each student's chromebook that they are issued at the beginning of the school year.

I would hazard a guess that it wouldn't be a full extra day of staffing (or revenue) -- Saturdays are crushed in part because Sundays aren't available to customers. 

Some of the large liquor store chains have said that store revenue does not go up being open a 7th day. They have the multi state data to back that up. The biggest benefit they’ve stated is that the guaranteed weekend day off allows them to hire a better employee than normal retail allows.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Abbott did this! 

(Am I doing this right?)

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/texas-catalytic-converter-thefts-second-highest/269-e16f3ac1-2f90-4f11-933f-5fc77d322d08

AUSTIN, Texas — A new report ranked Texas second for the most catalytic converter thefts in the U.S.

The new report put out by State Farm Insurance shows that catalytic converter thefts have increased by more than 400% since 2019. From 2019 until August 2022, State Farm has paid more than $70.6 million to insurance customers to recover from a catalytic converter theft. 

In that same time period, Texas residents have taken up $1.2 million of that insurance payout. Texas had a total of 4,830 cases in claims court – second to California, which had 7,430 claims at the same time.

7 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I see none of these hard-hitting kind of ads on TV...twitter doesn't have the reach Dems think it does. 

i seem to remember an article about ads not being all that effective but because all the strategists had built their own studios they needed to justify that expense to themselves by making video ads. 

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Abbott did this! 

(Am I doing this right?)

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/texas-catalytic-converter-thefts-second-highest/269-e16f3ac1-2f90-4f11-933f-5fc77d322d08

AUSTIN, Texas — A new report ranked Texas second for the most catalytic converter thefts in the U.S.

The new report put out by State Farm Insurance shows that catalytic converter thefts have increased by more than 400% since 2019. From 2019 until August 2022, State Farm has paid more than $70.6 million to insurance customers to recover from a catalytic converter theft. 

In that same time period, Texas residents have taken up $1.2 million of that insurance payout. Texas had a total of 4,830 cases in claims court – second to California, which had 7,430 claims at the same time.

state with second most cars has second most car related thefts!

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, elfenix said:

state with second most cars has second most car related thefts!

That is what I was thinking as well; am I missing something? Plus our urban public transportation is ass when compared to some cities so more folks drive the sprawl halls back and forth to the burbs.

"If we do everything, we'll win." LBJ, who only lost with finality in one state/national election in which he ran. The one he lost, 1941's special election for the US Senate, is the only contested election in which he didn't do everything. 

ETA: This did include some fraud at times in order to win, but that's Texas, baby.

Edited by trauma babe
  • Like 2

On 10/18/2022 at 7:25 PM, Gil Bang said:

Saw this ad last night. It's why Abbott is going to win. Beto should be making that ad against Abbott, but well, that ain't happening.

Uvalde -- and his inaction -- needs to be a scarlet letter that Abbott has to wear throughout this campaign. But other than the debate, it's not really brought up.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This dumb cunt is part of the GQP/Trump cult.

She is apparently shocked that Leopards are eating her face.  

she's probably afraid of the state DNA database she thinks is being built, not that kids' faces are going to be shot off in schools and DNA is the only way to identify them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 10/20/2022 at 10:09 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Saw this ad last night. It's why Abbott is going to win. Beto should be making that ad against Abbott, but well, that ain't happening.

Uvalde -- and his inaction -- needs to be a scarlet letter that Abbott has to wear throughout this campaign. But other than the debate, it's not really brought up.

When I was over at my parents’ house earlier this week I saw what felt like 50 republican ads in the hour or so the idiot box was on.  I saw one Lina Hidalgo ad during that same time.  What the fuck are dems doing with this money they are so proud to have raised?

This is exactly why I don’t donate shit to any campaign.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/20/2022 at 9:37 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This dumb cunt is part of the GQP/Trump cult.

She is apparently shocked that Leopards are eating her face.  

So that's where she went. Back before Twitter locked down the ability for non account holders to really dig around the twitterverse, I ran across this woman (I think it is the same one but I'm not going to scroll back pre-Covid tweets because she posts too much) when looking up stuff on RW bots, bloggers, and other disinformation agents and influencers. At that time, I can't recall exactly where she was if it was in Cali or Hawaii (her bio says she is a Cali transplant, but IIRC she posted a lot about Hawaii--like Tulsi Gabbard stuff and indigenous rights and so on. Like a lot of people, I got the impression she deduced that there are more opportunities for 'influence' and profit in the RW arena than in the left. Her schtick was one of leaving the political left to support Trump as a moral decision when reading through her posts it was pretty easy to discern that she was a political weathervane or a plant all along. As a Turning Point Ambassador, she has moved to the Dallas area for more fertile ground to assist in the focus on young people.

Edit: just looked her up. It's the same person.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Rage+1 1

On 10/20/2022 at 10:42 AM, elfenix said:

she's probably afraid of the state DNA database she thinks is being built, not that kids' faces are going to be shot off in schools and DNA is the only way to identify them. 

Did you mean the DNA collection by the state of Texas without the consent of parents, a state run by Republicans, with Texas A&M leading the program?

https://www.texastribune.org/2010/02/22/dshs-turned-over-hundreds-of-dna-samples-to-feds/

When state health officials were sued last year for storing infant blood samples without parental consent, they said it was for medical research into birth defects, childhood cancer and environmental toxins. They never said they were turning over hundreds of dried blood samples to the federal government to help build a vast DNA database — a forensics tool designed to identify missing persons and crack cold cases. 

A Texas Tribune review of nine years' worth of e-mails and internal documents on the Department of State Health Services’ newborn blood screening program reveals the transfer of hundreds of infant blood spots to an Armed Forces lab to build a national and, someday, international mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) registry. The records, released after the state agreed in December to destroy more than 5 million infant blood spots, also show an effort to limit the public’s knowledge of aspects of the newborn blood program, and to manage the debate around it. But the plaintiffs who filed the lawsuit never saw them, because the state settled the case so quickly that it never reached the discovery phase.

For decades, the state has screened newborns for a variety of birth defects, pricking their heels and collecting five drops of blood on a paper card. Until 2002, the cards were thrown out after a short storage period. But starting that year, the state health department began storing blood spots indefinitely, for “research into causes of selected diseases.” Four years later, DSHS began contracting with Texas A&M University’s School of Rural Public Health to warehouse the cards, which were accumulating at a rate of 800,000 a year. State health officials never notified parents of the changes; they didn’t need consent for the birth-defect screening, so they didn’t ask for it for research purposes. The agency’s rationale was that it let parents who asked opt out of the newborn blood screening and de-identified all of the samples before shipping them off.

Over the last several years, researchers have requested Texas baby blood spots for a variety of medical projects: to study the gene involved in club foot, to inspect the DNA of infants who develop childhood cancer, to examine prenatal lead exposure. Those are the projects state health officials have touted repeatedly before lawmakers and critics. But the least publicized of these research projects is arguably the most interesting. Between 2003 and 2007, the state gave 800 de-identified blood samples to the Armed Forces DNA Identification Laboratory(AFDIL) to help create a national mtDNA database.

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Did you mean the DNA collection by the state of Texas without the consent of parents, a state run by Republicans, with Texas A&M leading the program?

https://www.texastribune.org/2010/02/22/dshs-turned-over-hundreds-of-dna-samples-to-feds/

When state health officials were sued last year for storing infant blood samples without parental consent, they said it was for medical research into birth defects, childhood cancer and environmental toxins. They never said they were turning over hundreds of dried blood samples to the federal government to help build a vast DNA database — a forensics tool designed to identify missing persons and crack cold cases. 

A Texas Tribune review of nine years' worth of e-mails and internal documents on the Department of State Health Services’ newborn blood screening program reveals the transfer of hundreds of infant blood spots to an Armed Forces lab to build a national and, someday, international mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) registry. The records, released after the state agreed in December to destroy more than 5 million infant blood spots, also show an effort to limit the public’s knowledge of aspects of the newborn blood program, and to manage the debate around it. But the plaintiffs who filed the lawsuit never saw them, because the state settled the case so quickly that it never reached the discovery phase.

For decades, the state has screened newborns for a variety of birth defects, pricking their heels and collecting five drops of blood on a paper card. Until 2002, the cards were thrown out after a short storage period. But starting that year, the state health department began storing blood spots indefinitely, for “research into causes of selected diseases.” Four years later, DSHS began contracting with Texas A&M University’s School of Rural Public Health to warehouse the cards, which were accumulating at a rate of 800,000 a year. State health officials never notified parents of the changes; they didn’t need consent for the birth-defect screening, so they didn’t ask for it for research purposes. The agency’s rationale was that it let parents who asked opt out of the newborn blood screening and de-identified all of the samples before shipping them off.

Over the last several years, researchers have requested Texas baby blood spots for a variety of medical projects: to study the gene involved in club foot, to inspect the DNA of infants who develop childhood cancer, to examine prenatal lead exposure. Those are the projects state health officials have touted repeatedly before lawmakers and critics. But the least publicized of these research projects is arguably the most interesting. Between 2003 and 2007, the state gave 800 de-identified blood samples to the Armed Forces DNA Identification Laboratory(AFDIL) to help create a national mtDNA database.

But please remember that Joe Biden is the person who drinks baby blood!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

When I was over at my parents’ house earlier this week I saw what felt like 50 republican ads in the hour or so the idiot box was on.  I saw one Lina Hidalgo ad during that same time.  What the fuck are dems doing with this money they are so proud to have raised?

14 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

The election is in like three weeks. Tv ads don’t make a shit.

The stuff I'm getting from Beto daily via text or email says Abbott has amassed a $100M war-chest to campaign against him. Beto has raised a lot money, including getting some from me (and I've never donated to a political candidate in my life), but apparently it's a pittance compared to what Abbott's got. Based on the incessant ads for Abbott on The Ticket here in Dallas -- versus none from Beto -- I believe it.

On 10/22/2022 at 8:42 AM, Fudge Nuggets said:

Many use targeted ads. Why so ads to audiences that have zero likelihood of voting for you. That's the waste of money.

In the case of Hidalgo vs Mealer, Mealer is flush with money. Even though very few republicans in Houston gave to her campaign.

Many use targeted ads. Why so ads to audiences that have zero likelihood of voting for you. That's the waste of money.
In the case of Hidalgo vs Mealer, Mealer is flush with money. Even though very few republicans in Houston gave to her campaign.

They can only target by zip code now for statewide elections on cable/ YouTubeTV. And the ads are designed to piss you off enough to make you get out and vote.

Beto is spending all his money on getting young people to the polls.

My daughter’s company buys about $600M a year in ads and she says the only time you’ll see a strong mixture of ads is in close races. She spent all last week buying for AOC.