Markets still falling like whoa

On 9/28/2022 at 1:40 PM, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

the doom and gloom has been baked in already right? Today is good so far Dow +500; methinks the worst is over. 

from 9/28/22 when the Dow was about 29,000 -- up more than 3k since then in 1 month. What an October!  

Saw a news story that when the House or Senate of Congress changes parties , this time from Dem to Rep, the market goes bull for the next 6 months.  Methinks the Bull started a month ago in anticipation. 

Inflation is the big devil but as supply chain wrinkles iron themselves out, it's up time.

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell

6 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i don't and i'm glad someone else says this.  you're on the internet so i assume that means you know what you're talking about.

what can a financial planner do for me that buying SPY can't?

Maybe they say they are part of the 10% of financial advisors who beat the s and p? For me I agree. I just put my money in spy. 

9 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Why is SPY or VOO better than buying an S&P 500 index fund?

They are index funds but instead of being an old school mutual fund, they're ETFs. The benefit of ETFs is their prices update real time and you can buy/sell them basically instantly during the trading day. Like a good indexed mutual fund, the fees are minimal. However, with an indexed mutual fund, any buy/sell transaction you make is processed a couple hours after markets close and that's when their prices update. ETF or mutual fund, they're invested in the same stocks. I'm holding some mutual funds I have at good cost basis, but I'll slowly replace them with ETFs.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

The fall of META share price and Zuck's huge bet on the "Metaverse" will make an amazing documentary/case study one day.

Just crazy seeing what is happening to the share price as the market takes a huge shit on his vision.

I've never wanted a Non-Aggy human to fail more in my life.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, bluto said:

We moving Meta into the stonk thread after today? 

Just truly an amazing piece of sabotage by the founder of once insanely valuable company. Pivoting from their core product to throw away hundreds of billions on something that nobody wants, needs, or asked for.

Is there a soul on earth that thought "If only I could stay home, but still virtually go to work in an office by wearing an expensive, bulky headset and getting motion sickness?"

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Just truly an amazing piece of sabotage by the founder of once insanely valuable company. Pivoting from their core product to throw away hundreds of billions on something that nobody wants, needs, or asked for.

Is there a soul on earth that thought "If only I could stay home, but still virtually go to work in an office by wearing an expensive, bulky headset and getting motion sickness?"

Listen, dumbass.  META is going to teach us about dragons by letting us WALK AMONG DRAGONS! 

• Haha 1

Where were you when amazon died ?

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Jokes on you. Their stock price is still $300/share in the metaverse. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

In complete fairness, nobody asked for the iPhone, and nobody knew that they wanted it or needed it before they had it.  So there is some precedent for building something for which there is no present (or even anticipated) demand and just convincing people that they do actually need/want it.

Still, I don't have the first fucking clue what the "metaverse" is.  I don't think anybody really does (including anybody at Meta itself).  I can see it having some real valuable applications.  But even so, I don't know how they monetize it, or even if they have a plan for doing so.

It's just all very weird and I don't understand it, so I'm not going to invest in it.  But at the same time, I don't understand it, so I'm not going to sit here and naysay it and bet anything against it.

26 minutes ago, Fico said:

Umm what?

$19B of their $90B 4th quarter revenue was from services.

Got my wires crossed mixing the PR’s top line and another headline. 

Yeah it didnt make gut sense either. 

Services is $80B annualized…against $360B total annual rev (as opposed to $90B total which is Q)

8 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I’m the first one to think the “Metaverse” is stupid but in comparison to VR video games (which are popular), what’s the difference?

we're essentially already living in a metaverse, being glued to a - or some - communities on the phone.  if you're on surly/twitter/tiktok all day, you're interacting with a group of remote neighbors out of a gigantic population of remote strangers.  metaverse just constructs a skeuomorphic visual infrastructure around it. 

i think the concept is broadly right ... its going to arrive one day.  problem is with new things like these is the winning pioneer is not the one with just cash, but the one with a lot of luck. 

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

we're essentially already living in a metaverse, being glued to a - or some - communities on the phone.  if you're on surly/twitter/tiktok all day, you're interacting with a group of remote neighbors out of a gigantic population of remote strangers.  metaverse just constructs a skeuomorphic visual infrastructure around it. 

i think the concept is broadly right ... its going to arrive one day.  problem is with new things like these is the winning pioneer is not the one with just cash, but the one with a lot of luck. 

Back in my IT days, there were a bunch of nerds into VR like Second Life or some shit. This Metaverse thing seems like that but with a VR headset.  They’re doing the same things they do IRL but virtually.  

Yes, stupid I know.  If I had a virtual life, I’d be Tom Brady or @ChiTownDoc but instead, they’re themselves…..

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Back in my IT days, there were a bunch of nerds into VR like Second Life or some shit. This Metaverse thing seems like that but with a VR headset.  They’re doing the same things they do IRL but virtually.  

Yes, stupid I know.  If I had a virtual life, I’d be Tom Brady or @ChiTownDoc but instead, they’re themselves…..

I’m going to Miami for Halloween.  So nows a good time to be me.  📈

Tuesday morning?  📉📉📉

• Haha 2

Facebook trading at a P/E of 7? For real? Why don't they just announce a dividend and massive buybacks?

It's going to be tough to get these tech companies that are so used to growth to change gears into throwing cash at investors, but when they do... whoooo. They are cash generating monsters.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Facebook trading at a P/E of 7? For real? Why don't they just announce a dividend and massive buybacks?

It's going to be tough to get these tech companies that are so used to growth to change gears into throwing cash at investors, but when they do... whoooo. They are cash generating monsters.

They had already been deploying buybacks. Reduced cash equivalent stash by 1/3rd since 2 years ago, and theyre committed into plowing more into the metaverse thing. 

Zuck has controlling rights that outweights his equity so basically hes just playing with other peoples money and nobody can tell him know. 

8 hours ago, 52-80 said:

So if surly ultimately migrates to the metaverse, can I walk up to people I don't virtually like and kick their asses all Grand Theft Auto style?  Maybe this has potential.

My wife watches all the stupid shit that Bravo puts out. I was standing in the living room last night while one was on and one of the ladies professions was Metaverse Entrepreneur and another was Metaverse something or another. I just shook my head and watched my investment continue to slide.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Brew said:

My wife watches all the stupid shit that Bravo puts out. I was standing in the living room last night while one was on and one of the ladies professions was Metaverse Entrepreneur and another was Metaverse something or another. I just shook my head and watched my investment continue to slide.

image.jpeg.951fc0139e01dd2002046a5b76573a90.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Lol the mEtAvErSe is just a spyware filled VRchat or RecRoom. It's a step back in terms of tech, capabilities, and visuals. And you need a fucking Facebook/meta account to use it. It's no wonder why nobody is using their services - the people who know how use VR don't want to use Facebook, and the people who want to use Facebook don't want to or aren't capable of using VR

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/27/2022 at 12:42 PM, B00M said:

They are index funds but instead of being an old school mutual fund, they're ETFs. The benefit of ETFs is their prices update real time and you can buy/sell them basically instantly during the trading day. Like a good indexed mutual fund, the fees are minimal. However, with an indexed mutual fund, any buy/sell transaction you make is processed a couple hours after markets close and that's when their prices update. ETF or mutual fund, they're invested in the same stocks. I'm holding some mutual funds I have at good cost basis, but I'll slowly replace them with ETFs.

I have heard a rumor that as ETF's there are also options related to them and you can lose money both buying and selling these options. Looking for @Parliament to confirm said rumor.

• Haha 2

On 10/30/2022 at 8:35 AM, Captainant said:

Lol the mEtAvErSe is just a spyware filled VRchat or RecRoom. It's a step back in terms of tech, capabilities, and visuals. And you need a fucking Facebook/meta account to use it. It's no wonder why nobody is using their services - the people who know how use VR don't want to use Facebook, and the people who want to use Facebook don't want to or aren't capable of using VR

To be fair real dolls have been around for a long time. Who needs VR when you demented fucks can just get one of those.

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I have heard a rumor that as ETF's there are also options related to them and you can lose money both buying and selling these options. Looking for @Parliament to confirm said rumor.

Can confirm.  I have a Dec Put in my account worth a whopping (checks other screen) SIX dollars.  Good for a a date with South Austin's mom and that's about it.

• Haha 1

Read an article about four huge days in the next week or two:

- Fed meeting
- Job numbers
- Election day
- CPI numbers

Figure I'll wait to buy anything until we get some volatility on those days. Figure there will be some sharp rises/falls. In the meantime, was able to get a 1 year CD paying 4.55%. Not bad.