Desantis is a POS and needs his own thread

Gil Bang

There was a flurry of pro-DeSantis material flying around social media following the 60 Minutes piece this weekend among my Q-ey/Trumper contacts. It basically cut-and-paste the first part of his Wiki bio. LOL

On 6/1/2021 at 1:53 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I can't decide which GQP clown makes my blood boil the most. Congrats, Republicans, you are everything you supposedly hate.

At a private school that expels LGBT students.  This law wouldn't even apply to them. 

Jackass. 

Edited by Js1

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, Pancho said:

What his (twisted) rationale?  Was there some other bullshit spending rider on it or something?  Any idea about the vote it got in both their chambers?  

I'm looking at my usual Florida bill tracker but there was a deluge the past couple of weeks and sifting through him makes our Texas HB/SB system look coherent by comparison.  

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What his (twisted) rationale?  Was there some other bullshit spending rider on it or something?  Any idea about the vote it got in both their chambers?  

The rationale is:

19 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

What a piece of shit. 

It's today's GOP.  #FUPM

Too many Republican voters are now in the mindset of voting for the candidate who can inflict the most pain on other people.

Guest Lobo

Yeah, I realize that.  But he had to say something to the media and the families of those left wondering why no therapy help.  Even through a surrogate, somebody must have asked one question about it.  I don't have all the fancy social media shit y'all do, so if anybody sees anything...post it here.  It's hard to merry what he did against the GOP constant "we need to talk about mental health services!"  Ah, fuck it.

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What his (twisted) rationale?

Well, his base is a bunch of evil, subhuman pieces of shit who will applaud him for this.  It's basic pandering.

And as Fox News and OAN continue to make the average Republican more and more grotesque, the pandering will become more and more grotesque, too.

I fully expect burning crosses and a Muslim in a cage for children to throw bacon at during the 2024 RNC.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, I realize that.  But he had to say something to the media and the families of those left wondering why no therapy help.  Even through a surrogate, somebody must have asked one question about it.  I don't have all the fancy social media shit y'all do, so if anybody sees anything...post it here.  It's hard to merry what he did against the GOP constant "we need to talk about mental health services!"  Ah, fuck it.

It would be horrible is someone that had their therapy cut off went off and murdered DeSantis.  I mean that.  Think of how sad that would be?  

34 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

what's the take away here because it's not obvious to me? is it more than DeSantis being a POS?

He decries the ability of twitter and other platforms to block "conservative voices" but when someone he dislikes gets silenced he's first in line to cheer and say "this is the way."

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

How could anybody think this is okay?

TALLAHASSEE — In his continued push against the “indoctrination” of students, Gov. Ron DeSantis on Tuesday signed legislation that will require public universities and colleges to survey students, faculty and staff about their beliefs and viewpoints to support “intellectual diversity.”

The survey will discern “the extent to which competing ideas and perspectives are presented” in public universities and colleges, and seeks to find whether students, faculty and staff “feel free to express beliefs and viewpoints on campus and in the classroom,” according to the bill.

The measure, which goes into effect July 1, does not specify what will be done with the survey results. But DeSantis and Sen. Ray Rodrigues, the sponsor of the bill, suggested on Tuesday that budget cuts could be looming if universities and colleges are found to be “indoctrinating” students

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-politics/2021/06/22/state-university-faculty-students-to-be-surveyed-on-beliefs/#

1 minute ago, Satchel said:

If Trump lets him.

Nah, he’s going to run and either be the nominee or drop out and be Trump’s VP.  Something like a 1980 Reagan vs Bush primary scenario would be the savvy move but there’s too many assholes like Cruz, Hawley, and Paul to execute it effectively. 

Just now, Satchel said:

Trump is jealous of anybody who has the potential to be more influential than he. Watch how he responds to Desantis’ ascendancy.

I imagine as governor of Florida, DeSantis could make Trump’s life uncomfortable if he wanted. 

I read a rumor that DeSantis wouldn’t extradite Trump to NY if he gets indicted by the Manhattan DA.  Completely stupid rumor, but is it though? 

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I imagine as governor of Florida, DeSantis could make Trump’s life uncomfortable if he wanted. 

I read a rumor that DeSantis wouldn’t extradite Trump to NY if he gets indicted by the Manhattan DA.  Completely stupid rumor, but is it though? 

Trump could end DeSantis’s political career.  

5 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Nah, he’s going to run and either be the nominee or drop out and be Trump’s VP.  Something like a 1980 Reagan vs Bush primary scenario would be the savvy move but there’s too many assholes like Cruz, Hawley, and Paul to execute it effectively. 

It’s going to be deliciously brutal watching DeSantis, Cruz, Hawley and one or two others rip each other to shreds.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

“Extradition” from one state to another is just a political courtesy. The constitution doesn’t allow refusal

19 hours ago, Satchel said:

How could anybody think this is okay?

TALLAHASSEE — In his continued push against the “indoctrination” of students, Gov. Ron DeSantis on Tuesday signed legislation that will require public universities and colleges to survey students, faculty and staff about their beliefs and viewpoints to support “intellectual diversity.”

The survey will discern “the extent to which competing ideas and perspectives are presented” in public universities and colleges, and seeks to find whether students, faculty and staff “feel free to express beliefs and viewpoints on campus and in the classroom,” according to the bill.

The measure, which goes into effect July 1, does not specify what will be done with the survey results. But DeSantis and Sen. Ray Rodrigues, the sponsor of the bill, suggested on Tuesday that budget cuts could be looming if universities and colleges are found to be “indoctrinating” students

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-politics/2021/06/22/state-university-faculty-students-to-be-surveyed-on-beliefs/#

The organization, Campus Reform, has already laid the foundation.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Ron DeSantis gives me major "Scott Walker" vibes.  I.e., looks good on paper, but gets zero traction (unless there's a Trump endorsement to save him). 

I've always leaned more towards him feeling like one of those televangelists - sleazy looking.

11 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Trump will absolutely run as an independent and fuck the republicans if desantis makes a move. 

And he'll rake in a shitload of money that would otherwise go to the GOP.

And that brings us to another issue for the GOP - now that Trump has his own PACs, he is siphoning money off from the GOP, and continues to do so, and there's nothing they can do about it.  Sure, some of those people wouldn't donate to any politician BUT Trump, but plenty would just donate to whatever (R) was on the ballot or to the GOP as a whole.

GOP leaders have got to walk on eggshells around Trump.  He could financially gut them if he chose to do so.

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I've always leaned more towards him feeling like one of those televangelists - sleazy looking.

Scott Walker was the Ron DeSantis of 2010-2016- winning 3 straight elections in a purple state (2010, 2012 recall, 2014) and crushing unions, implementing voter ID laws, returning federal funds for the exchanges to snub Obama, cutting university funding, defunding Planned Parenthood. 

Then he withdrew about 4 months before Iowa.  Absolutely sucked. 

Edited by Js1

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It’s going to be deliciously brutal watching DeSantis, Cruz, Hawley and one or two others rip each other to shreds.  

And then see the winner skate along the GOP suppression infrastructure tracks they're laying down nationally, especially in swing states.  Whoever wins won't be a win for America.  The courts need to be working on this but the GOP has managed to pack as many as possible in 4 years and Dems now debate the fairness of Congressional minority obstruction rules.  In an unrefereed dog fight, our bigger dog is neither the aggressor, nor concerned with winning by any means necessary.  We know how this is going to go.  

• Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

And then see the winner skate along the GOP suppression infrastructure tracks they're laying down nationally, especially in swing states.  Whoever wins won't be a win for America.  The courts need to be working on this but the GOP has managed to pack as many as possible in 4 years and Dems now debate the fairness of Congressional minority obstruction rules.  In an unrefereed dog fight, our bigger dog is neither the aggressor, nor concerned with winning by any means necessary.  We know how this is going to go.  

I'd like to re-visit this in 2023.  If Abrams and Bee Nguyen are the Gov/SOS in Georgia, and Katie Hobbs/Adrian Fontes are Gov/SOS in Arizona, and Tony Evers/Josh Kaul remain Gov/AG in Wisconsin, and Whitmer/Benson/Nessel are still Gov/SOS/AG in Michigan and Josh Shapiro is the new Governor of PA (he appoints his replacement as AG until 2024) - it's not going to be as easy as everyone thinks. 

The apparatus of the Georgia SOS, Arizona SOS, Michigan state offices, Wisconsin state offices and PA state offices performed their duties in 2020 and the GOP could not overturn any of those states.  

Edited by Js1

2 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

The courts need to be working on this but the GOP has managed to pack as many as possible in 4 years a

Tying into what JS1 said above, Trump and Co. couldn't get an actual victory in 86 lawsuits they filed, including many that had Republican/Trump appointees. 

I'd be more worried on that front if Trump and Co. had won a few dozen of those lawsuits.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

I'd like to re-visit this in 2023.  If Abrams and Bee Nguyen are the Gov/SOS in Georgia, and Katie Hobbs/Adrian Fontes are Gov/SOS in Arizona, and Tony Evers/Josh Kaul remain Gov/AG in Wisconsin, and Whitmer/Benson/Nessel are still Gov/SOS/AG in Michigan and Josh Shapiro is the new Governor of PA (he appoints his replacement as AG until 2024) - it's not going to be as easy as everyone thinks. 

The apparatus of the Georgia SOS, Arizona SOS, Michigan state offices, Wisconsin state offices and PA state offices performed their duties in 2020 and the GOP could not overturn any of those states.  

Who controls the state legislatures will be what matters.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

he's too lazy to run again. he'll make the GoP pay him to sit this one out 

This. He doesn’t WANT to be president, except maybe to keep himself out of prison. He doesn’t like anything about it other than the perceived power (which he doesn’t really use) and the constant media attention feeding his narcissism. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

He doesn’t WANT to be president, except maybe to keep himself out of prison. He doesn’t like anything about it other than the perceived power (which he doesn’t really use) and the constant media attention feeding his narcissism. 

Which is exactly why he's going to run again. It's minimal effort, maximum notoriety. In a couple of years, the spotlight on him won't be quite as intense, and it's going to drive him insane.