Jump to content

Desantis is a POS and needs his own thread


Gil Bang

Recommended Posts

It’s not unheard of for non-critical systems to have shared accounts. It’s not advised, against IT policy and stupid. I’ve also seen it in circumstances when paying per user and it saves money. Once again, not a big deal in unimportant systems. I know IT auditors or admins would disagree but why are they allowing accounts that are named for a group? 

But stupid of her or anyone to log into an account for a former employer. On top of that, she drew attention to herself.

Her actions def do not warrant a guns drawn arrest. Someone on that side of the equation should lose their job.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m actually really torn on what to think about this lady and her skirmish with Desantis. He is a fucking turd, who has handled this whole thing horribly. On the other hand, this woman is an attention whore with a much higher opinion of herself than she should have.

She is basically an entry level data analyst who talks a big game about building a ‚Äúsystem‚ÄĚ for doing x, y, and z. She basically put a front-end on publicly gathered data. It probably took a few hours.

Although, she does really seem to rub Desantis the wrong way and she definitely didn’t deserve the guns drawn treatment from law enforcement. So I am rooting for her. Hopefully Desantis catches all kinds of shit from this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It’s not unheard of for non-critical systems to have shared accounts. It’s not advised, against IT policy and stupid. I’ve also seen it in circumstances when paying per user and it saves money. Once again, not a big deal in unimportant systems. I know IT auditors or admins would disagree but why are they allowing accounts that are named for a group? 

But stupid of her or anyone to log into an account for a former employer. On top of that, she drew attention to herself.

Her actions def do not warrant a guns drawn arrest. Someone on that side of the equation should lose their job.

Well, there's really no such thing as execution of a search warrant without weapons.  Drawn is optional, but frequently utilized for reasons already cited.

It would appear that yes, she accessed a computer without authorization, which is a crime in most jurisdictions.  And in Floriduh is a third degree felony, even if you don't damage anything, it's second degree if  you do.

Whole thing is bullshit and needs to be pled down or dismissed.  Also, Floriduh and probably most jurisdictions need to have another look at their computer crimes statutes.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sorry, I'll let you lick the balls of Newsom, Adler, and many others that do the whole don't do as I do, peons thing.

You certainly seem to have a tea bagging fetish with dudes. Why don’t you just live your truth and suck a dick already? You can go both ways and still be you. Swallow that seed.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

... I guess they needed to arrest her, but again I don’t understand the guns drawn. 

I've got a long record of speaking out against LEO abuses of power, but this case isn't meeting that threshold for me - assuming the facts are as they've been reported.  You've got a disgruntled/angry former/fired government employee who is nonresponsive for 20 minutes.  This wasn't a door busting no knock raid where they are guns drawn from the get go.  I don't really fault them for assuming the lady might be irrational/armed/dangerous and being cautious.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, bernorange said:

I've got a long record of speaking out against LEO abuses of power, but this case isn't meeting that threshold for me - assuming the facts are as they've been reported.  You've got a disgruntled/angry former/fired government employee who is nonresponsive for 20 minutes.  This wasn't a door busting no knock raid where they are guns drawn from the get go.  I don't really fault them for assuming the lady might be irrational/armed/dangerous and being cautious.

I guess I'm confused as to what piece of information leads to them believe guns might be necessary. They are purportedly conducting a search warrant on a former female IT employee. As far as we know, she had no priors. No gun charges. No violent charges. We don't even know she has a parking ticket. They knock on the door and she doesn't answer. The officers said she hung up on them? They had to wait 20 minutes? That might warrant more aggressive knocking and verbal commands. Did I miss her threating violence or talk of a gun? She finally opened the door and they treated her as if she was hiding the one armed man. I just think our police force in general is way too militaristic. That being said, I understand that most humans are huge pieces of shit and you can never be too careful. I just think there might be some middle ground we might be missing. 

  • Hook 'Em 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Thrawn said:

She is basically an entry level data analyst who talks a big game about building a ‚Äúsystem‚ÄĚ for doing x, y, and z. She basically put a front-end on publicly gathered data. It probably took a few hours.

Yep. It was built using a free downloadable template from the software company.  You literally just point it to your data tables and click publish. It's slightly more complex than making a pivot table in Excel.  A coworker built an exact replica of it that focused on community infections within our company footprint and tracked employee COVID cases in our office locations in a couple of hours.  90% of that time was getting the data organized. Configuring the dashboard took maybe 20 minutes.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Yep. It was built using a free downloadable template from the software company.  You literally just point it to your data tables and click publish. It's slightly more complex than making a pivot table in Excel.  A coworker built an exact replica of it that focused on community infections within our company footprint and tracked employee COVID cases in our office locations in a couple of hours.  90% of that time was getting the data organized. Configuring the dashboard took maybe 20 minutes.

 

Tableau?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

ArcGIS Portal/Online.

Tableau has good mapping functions also and it's about that level of complexity. Relatively user friendly.

 

Nice. I actually have a client who has thousands of field guys nationwide and wanted to build a similar dashboard internally for their workforce. Not my area of expertise so I showed their internal analyst in finance a bit about structuring their data to work with Tableau's map viz and sent them on their way. Not sure what came of it, but I think they got it stood up. It's neat to hear about similar initiatives.

Edited by BradInATX
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, workswithseed said:

You seem to like the idea, but sorry Im not sucking your dick.

You try to wield heterosexuality as if it is some sort of moral weapon or somehow makes you superior to someone who gets their needs met differently.   A song lyric deflection is all you have because that is all you have ever been worth on here.  Your opinions are shit and your thoughts have always been as empty as a young Tahoe Horn including the veiled bigotry.   Only you lacked the talent to hide your simplicity.   

Sadly, I see a bit of myself in you (here comes another gay joke!) if I had continued on a path of self-congratulatory ignorance.  It is possibly why I dislike you so much as a poster.  But that is on me.  Bless your heart.

  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Nivek said:

You try to wield heterosexuality as if it is some sort of moral weapon or somehow makes you superior to someone who gets their needs met differently.   A song lyric deflection is all you have because that is all you have ever been worth on here.  Your opinions are shit and your thoughts have always been as empty as a young Tahoe Horn including the veiled bigotry.   Only you lacked the talent to hide your simplicity.   

Sadly, I see a bit of myself in you (here comes another gay joke!) if I had continued on a path of self-congratulatory ignorance.  It is possibly why I dislike you so much as a poster.  But that is on me.  Bless your heart.

ūüĒ•

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Nivek said:

You try to wield heterosexuality as if it is some sort of moral weapon or somehow makes you superior to someone who gets their needs met differently.   A song lyric deflection is all you have because that is all you have ever been worth on here.  Your opinions are shit and your thoughts have always been as empty as a young Tahoe Horn including the veiled bigotry.   Only you lacked the talent to hide your simplicity.   

Sadly, I see a bit of myself in you (here comes another gay joke!) if I had continued on a path of self-congratulatory ignorance.  It is possibly why I dislike you so much as a poster.  But that is on me.  Bless your heart.

Where?

Cause his statement was stupid.

Matter of opinion.

Also, the only one I've agreed after reading so far is @BradInATXafter reading about the hate that someone should get. Hell this whole thread is basically people arguing with me since there isn't any real cover up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

according to the interview she gave last night, she says they only took her phone and her one laptop that she used to communicate her stats (and presumably to urge her former colleagues to step the fuck up and do something).  this seems a lot more like desantis trying to figure out who's undermining him and his efforts to deal with the virus, presuming that there are any, than trying to punish jones for her unauthorized login and warning blast.

on a separate note, there are plenty of reasons that newsom sucks, but give me the guy who tells 40mm people to be safe and then endangers himself/others at a birthday party, than the other way around.  lead by example and all that, but i'm gonna err on the side of safety, regardless of how fun it is to point out hypocrisy.

  • Hook 'Em 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2020 at 11:43 PM, 0xdeadbeef said:

not sure if serious?

image.png.d90b95a6d31165f876d457555e5f6a64.png

It doesn't really matter what she sent or why. Her actions crossed a line an gave LE a valid reason to get a legit search warrant and take her computer.

Congrats on spotting the obvious.  You are only following orders.

Here's a thought exercise for you: on Jan 19th Trump orders the military to "launch some nukes.  Just do it.  Blow some shit up."

Should they do it or no?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/8/2020 at 8:20 AM, Thrawn said:

I’m actually really torn on what to think about this lady and her skirmish with Desantis. He is a fucking turd, who has handled this whole thing horribly. On the other hand, this woman is an attention whore with a much higher opinion of herself than she should have.

She is basically an entry level data analyst who talks a big game about building a ‚Äúsystem‚ÄĚ for doing x, y, and z. She basically put a front-end on publicly gathered data. It probably took a few hours.

Although, she does really seem to rub Desantis the wrong way and she definitely didn’t deserve the guns drawn treatment from law enforcement. So I am rooting for her. Hopefully Desantis catches all kinds of shit from this.

Tell me about this "attention whore" thing.  

Also, what should her opinion of herself be?

Got any opinions on that Scandinavian girl who talks about climate change?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2020 at 10:42 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

Every Floridian should be outraged by the fact that their network security is apparentlysuch shit that someone that's been fired for 6 months still has access. Actually I read some article that mentions a handful of people have access to the account to send out the emergency messages.... And they all use the same credentials.  

Texas isn't much better. Pretty much most States suck at protecting their networks.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Ah, this is the thread I was looking for.
 

The search warrant says they traced the actual login to an IPV6 address assigned to her house. They fact that others had access to the login account doesn't change the fact that someone logged in _from her house_.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

More deflection.

Doesn't make the search warrant any less valid.

Has she disputed the facts in the search warrant?  Is she saying the login wasn't actually from her house as the warrant state?  My guess is no. 

The gravamen of the offense is "unauthorized" access to a computer.

In most jurisdictions, that includes when you still have valid login credentials, but your authorization is revoked.

When the login credentials are publicly available, if that is true, it's pretty hard to argue that any access is unauthorized.

Still, while maybe all technically on the up and up, this is an example of very poor to politically motivated evil exercise of prosecutorial/law enforcement discretion.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

The search warrant says they traced the actual login to an IPV6 address assigned to her house. They fact that others had access to the login account doesn't change the fact that someone logged in _from her house_.

 

 

OK, so she's guilty.  When's the execution?

Do you mind revisiting post 76?  TIA.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The search warrant says they traced the actual login to an IPV6 address assigned to her house. They fact that others had access to the login account doesn't change the fact that someone logged in _from her house_.
 
 

So? The login credentials were publicly available to anyone and everyone.

Have officials checked to see how many other Floridians used those publicly available credentials? Have they executed search and arrest warrants and seized any other electronic devices?
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The side story to all of this is the DeSantis appointee who served on the Judicial Nominating Commission resigning (that was mentioned earlier). He was a Republican veteran (now independent) who will now be replaced by someone DeSantis will vet to be much more simpatico to his power grubbing ways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2020 at 10:35 PM, 0xdeadbeef said:

.We're supposed to be outraged why?

Has she disputed the facts in the search warrant?  

She denied sending the Alert. My emotions have some momentum, because hoax>flu>my freedoms>masks don’t work>most people will be fine. If the government of FL proves its case, my emotions will change.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Addition
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

She denied sending the Alert. My emotions have some momentum, because hoax>flu>my freedoms>masks don’t work>most people will be fine. If the government of FL proves its case, my emotions will change.

Assuming the credentials were publicly available then the state had better have some damning evidence showing the login and message originated from an IP address assigned to her computer.  If the IP doesn't fit you must acquit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bullneck said:

OK, so she's guilty.  When's the execution?

Do you mind revisiting post 76?  TIA.

 

Hyperbole much?  I didn't make any comments about her guilt or innocence, only on the apparent validity of the search warrant.  People showing outrage at the search of her house are ignoring the fact that the search warrant looks solid and is very clear. 

 

I have no connection to post 76.

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, 27-25 said:

Assuming the credentials were publicly available then the state had better have some damning evidence showing the login and message originated from an IP address assigned to her computer.  If the IP doesn't fit you must acquit.

It's in the search warrant.  The IP address was easily traced to Comcast who pointed to her home address. 

If she'd gone to a coffee shop (or used an open computer at a library) and logged in she would have made it much harder and given herself some plausible deniability.  But she seems to have done this from her house and made it really easy to trace it back to her.    The Gov has her devices and the likely hood they will be able to find something one of her devices to confirm the login from a device she own is pretty good.   

If she has denied sending the Alert as someone upthread suggests, I would expect her to change her tune shortly to something like "I did send it, but it was an open system".

Like it or not;  agree with her on not;  she made a mistake and crossed a line. I have no idea how serious of an offense it is under local law, but people need to drop the faux-outrage over the warrant.

If someone logged in a Travis County/Austin computer system as sent a text message to 1700 city employees saying "Masks suck".  Would anyone be surprise if the police executed a warrant a week later?  I would pretty much expect that.

  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

It's in the search warrant.  The IP address was easily traced to Comcast who pointed to her home address. 

If she'd gone to a coffee shop (or used an open computer at a library) and logged in she would have made it much harder and given herself some plausible deniability.  But she seems to have done this from her house and made it really easy to trace it back to her.    The Gov has her devices and the likely hood they will be able to find something one of her devices to confirm the login from a device she own is pretty good.   

If she has denied sending the Alert as someone upthread suggests, I would expect her to change her tune shortly to something like "I did send it, but it was an open system".

Like it or not;  agree with her on not;  she made a mistake and crossed a line. I have no idea how serious of an offense it is under local law, but people need to drop the faux-outrage over the warrant.

If someone logged in a Travis County/Austin computer system as sent a text message to 1700 city employees saying "Masks suck".  Would anyone be surprise if the police executed a warrant a week later?  I would pretty much expect that.

  

 

 

The point being made above is that if access to the system is fully publicly available, then that is functionally authorization given to the entire public.  If you create a public portal to a gov't cite, you can't charge someone with unauthorized access for entering that portal.

Now, I don't have all the facts here, but I am noting that there may be a real problem here.

And come on, we all know EXACTLY why she in particular had an armed raid on her house.  Armed agents of the state are seizing on any excuse to exact political retribution.  It stinks, it's banana republic bullshit.  But, it's par for the course in America, 2020.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, anyone defending any of this kind of bullshit on a legal technicality needs a fucking gibbet along with the cops who carried it out and the pieces of shit who ordered it. 

The Republican Party is attempting to destroy American democracy. I have no fucking patience for anyone willing to justify anything even tangentially related to those efforts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And come on, we all know EXACTLY why she in particular had an armed raid on her house.  Armed agents of the state are seizing on any excuse to exact political retribution.  It stinks, it's banana republic bullshit.  But, it's par for the course in America, 2020.

It wasn't her "in particular" that had armed officers execute the search warrant.   This is is the US, pretty much all LEO are armed.

General PSA - While cops are serving a warrant is not a time to argue, play games, or make any political grandstanding.  Cops are by-and-large stupid and trigger happy, and they are allowed to pull their gun at their discretion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

It wasn't her "in particular" that had armed officers execute the search warrant.   This is is the US, pretty much all LEO are armed.

General PSA - While cops are serving a warrant is not a time to argue, play games, or make any political grandstanding.  Cops are by-and-large stupid and trigger happy, and they are allowed to pull their gun at their discretion. 

 

No, what made her in particular singled out was not that the cops were armed, but that they were dispatched at all for a chickenshit pretext.  It was politically motivated, and eveyrone with an IQ above room temp knows it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

Yeah, anyone defending any of this kind of bullshit on a legal technicality needs a fucking gibbet along with the cops who carried it out and the pieces of shit who ordered it. 

The Republican Party is attempting to destroy American democracy. I have no fucking patience for anyone willing to justify anything even tangentially related to those efforts.

What the fuck are you talking about.

You act like she's the first person to have their computer sized for unauthorized access to a government system.,  or the first time cops pulled guns while serving a warrant. 

This shit is her own doing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

What the fuck are you talking about.

You act like she's the first person to have their computer sized for unauthorized access to a government system.,  or the first time cops pulled guns while serving a warrant. 

This shit is her own doing.  

Dude.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Does every crime require a raid?

For this type of shit can’t a constable serve a warrant and have the accused self report down at the PD?

Dear Honest Citizen,

A search warrant has been issued for all your computer-type equipment.  Please bring all your computers and cell phones to the local Police Office so we can run a forensics search on them looking for confirming evidence.  Please take extra care to make sure you don't break, smash, or reformat any equipment, and be extra careful not to delete anything like cookies, or browser history.

Thank you,

Chief Wiggum

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...