Desantis is a POS and needs his own thread

Gil Bang

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Ehh, he didn't exactly dominate in 2018, and covid has done a number on his constituency, and it's pissing a lot of people off right now who might otherwise be apathetic about voting.  Trump only won by less than 400,000 last year, and he won't be on Ron's ticket.

He's just not Trump, and he's got companies and school districts publicly telling him to fuck off.

It's Florida, I would be shocked if the governor race isn't decided by 1 point or less.  I'd lay a lot of money on it that DeSantis or Crist wins by 1 point or less.  

2010 - 1.2%
2014 - 1%
2018 - 0.4%

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, aggie08 said:

It will work, too. He'll be a Republican rock star in 3 years, regardless of polls. Mark it down.

True.  But by then it’s entirely possible only 35% of voters identify as R.  They’re doing a bang up job pushing out voters in droves, then killing off a good chunk of what’s left under their lil tent.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/24/2021 at 8:16 PM, aggie08 said:

It will work, too. He'll be a Republican rock star in 3 years, regardless of polls. Mark it down.

Eh. It may work nationwide for someone not currently holding a statewide office but if he fucks around and loses the gov race he ain’t getting the nomination in 2024. He’s going to be going door to door with regeneron before long

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Eh. It may work nationwide for someone not currently holding a statewide office but if he fucks around and loses the gov race he ain’t getting the nomination in 2024. He’s going to be going door to door with regeneron before long

Remember when Bobby Jindal was the next rising Republican star until he fucked up Louisiana so bad they elected a Democrat? He never got above 1% in the 2016 race. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Leon County Circuit Judge John C. Cooper agreed with a group of parents who claimed in a lawsuit that DeSantis’ order is unconstitutional and cannot be enforced. The governor’s order gave parents the sole right to decide if their child wears a mask at school.

Cooper said DeSantis’ order “is without legal authority.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/without-legal-authority-judge-blocks-florida-governors-ban-on-mask-mandates-in-schools-01630085906

https://www.bradenton.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article253802048.html

A California psychiatrist who has advised Gov. Ron DeSantis on the coronavirus pandemic recently promoted a drug for COVID-19 patients that federal disease experts have strongly warned against after a spike in calls to poison control centers.

The surge of interest in the parasite drug, ivermectin, prompted the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday to issue a national alert advising against its use to treat coronavirus. The maker of the drug, Merck, has also said there is “no scientific basis” to claim that ivermectin is effective against COVID-19.

Dr. Mark McDonald of Los Angeles is among a fringe group of outspoken medical professionals who have pushed ivermectin as an alternative to widespread vaccination against coronavirus. McDonald called ivermectin an “effective, safe, inexpensive treatment” in a Aug. 5 Twitter post, and he shared an article by the Jerusalem Post citing a recent study of the drug in Israel.

A wave of online misinformation about ivermectin has led to increased demand, and some people have turned to a version of the drug meant for farm animals. That sparked the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to tweet: “You are not a horse. You are not a cow. Seriously, y’all. Stop it.”

Florida’s Poison Control Center, a state-funded non-profit, has treated 27 ivermectin-related cases in August, with most involving drugs made for livestock. That’s more cases tied to the drug than the center saw in all of last year.

McDonald called people who think ivermectin is a drug for horses “ignoramuses” in a tweet posted Monday. (The drug can treat parasites in both humans and animals like horses.)

In a phone interview, McDonald made clear Friday that people “should not get (ivermectin) from a feed lot.” But he said people are ingesting livestock medicine out of desperation because the federal government was preventing doctors from making the drug available.

McDonald accused the Food and Drug Administration of sidelining ivermectin because it already has spent billions of dollars to “mass vaccinate the population.”

Spoiler

“If the goal of these people is to advance public health and make the public well, why have none of them spoke a single word about prevention and making one healthy to prevent an infection or hospitalization or death?” McDonald said. “I think there is a lot of dishonesty here and cancellation of people who support truth.”

Dr. John Sinnott, the chairman of internal medicine at University of South Florida’s Morsani College of Medicine and an epidemiologist at Tampa General Hospital, said it was “evil” for people to promote ivermectin as a COVID-19 treatment “because it detracts from appropriate care.”

”Any physician who espouses this should be reported to their state medical association,” Sinnott added.

McDonald was one of several doctors summoned by DeSantis for a July closed-door discussion on mask policies in schools. In his comments, he argued that “masking children is child abuse,” according to video of the meeting later released by the governor’s office. He also likened mask mandates to apartheid, South Africa’s racist system of segregation during the 20th century.

At this week’s trial in Tallahassee over the governor’s ban on school mask mandates, attorneys for the state included McDonald’s comments as evidence. But in his ruling against DeSantis on Friday, Leon County Circuit Judge John Cooper was dismissive of McDonald’s opinion.

McDonald is one of several medical professionals from outside the state’s network of public health experts who DeSantis has leaned on for guidance throughout the pandemic. DeSantis has also regularly turned to Dr. Scott Atlas, a Stanford neuroradiologist favored by former President Donald Trump. Atlas reportedly clashed with other White House coronavirus task force members last year for urging Trump to let the virus run its course without government interventions.

And at the mask trial, Florida attorneys called on Stanford University professor Dr. Jay Bhattacharya to defend DeSantis’ order — not state Surgeon General Scott Rivkees. Bhattacharya, an early opponent of business restrictions aimed at curbing the virus’ spread, testified he has been an “informal advisor” to the governor since last September.

In a Friday statement to the Times/Herald, DeSantis spokeswoman Christina Pushaw said McDonald’s inclusion on the school mask panel “does not imply that Governor DeSantis endorses (or opposes) any of Dr. McDonald’s opinions on other subjects.”

“The panel was not about ivermectin,” she said. “It was about forced masking of schoolchildren.”

McDonald has a history of comments that defy the consensus of the greater medical and public healthy community. He shared on social media a graphic that called people who wear masks “retarded,” and he has posted comments skeptical of vaccines.

McDonald has ties to America’s Frontline Doctors, a political organization that medical experts have accused of spreading misinformation about coronavirus and treatments. McDonald spoke at a summit organized by America’s Frontline Doctors, and a picture of him with the group is featured at the top of his Twitter feed.

On Friday, NBC News reported that America’s Frontline Doctors is one of the leading purveyors of ivermectin as a false cure. The organization has built a business around prescribing the drug, the network reported.

Prescriptions for ivermectin jumped to 88,000 in the week ending August 13, up from just a few thousand a week prior to the pandemic and a four-fold increase since July, the CDC said. Meanwhile, ivermectin-related calls to poison control centers are up 400 percent, the agency said.

Dr. Asim Tarabar, an assistant professor of emergency medicine at the Yale School of Medicine and a medical toxicologist, said the poison control figures likely underestimate the problem because many who are taking ivermectin may be experiencing no side effects. Or, they are getting sick from the medicine, but they’re reluctant to pick up the phone, he said.

Ivermectin has been successfully used in developing countries to treat parasites for decades. In the United States, it is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Association as an oral drug against roundworm and a topical treatment for lice, among other uses. It’s side effects are minor when used correctly, but overdoses can lead to vomiting, confusion, seizures and death, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

Studies have not demonstrated that ivermectin is effective in treating coronavirus patients and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has advised against off-label use. The National Institutes of Health said in February that clinical studies on ivermectin have varied, with some suggesting some benefits while others showed little or worsening change in patients.

Tarabar said some people’s trust in ivermectin could be explained by a misunderstanding of the scientific process. The drug has been shown in some studies to limit the virus’ ability to reproduce in a laboratory setting, the physician said. But there’s no proof the medicine works that way in the human body.

“Regardless what we believe — left, right, center — scientific rigor has to be followed,” Tarabar said.

"STATE RUN" is right there in the fucking title.  

"I don't want no government medications in my body!"

So if your physician recommended it, would you get a vaccination made by a private pharma company and administered by a private health care worker or pharmacist at the private entity of your choice?"

"Oh hells no!  If it ain't still experimental and run entirely by DeSantis and his administrative bureaucrats---you can shove it man!"

serious question---is anyone even trying anymore to understand these new depths of stupidity? 

On the one hand, would not be surprised if covid costs him the race, given how close the previous three elections were for that seat.  Parents are getting pretty fucking tired of this shit, as are the vaccinated who want things to get back to as normal as can be right now.  The anti-vaxxers can rage all they want, but the vaccinated are just as fucking pissed, and more than happy to show up and vote.

On the other hand, it opens the door for Grandpa Cruz.

Pa3Ry9FJaI2e2gkJ43iimznDof_gs18XagWp2cwe

Weird how DeSantis hates vaccines but likes monoclonal antibodies.  The big difference is that if you pick one of these two, you're probably not getting Covid and probably not going to die.

With the other option you get a free near death experience first.

DeSantis likes the second option.  I'm guessing he owns their stock.

Well Republicans are not elected to govern.  They are elected to:

• Immediately fundraise to stay in power or pursue a higher office
  • Grift and funnel as much money as possible back to themselves/their family/their friends
  • Dismantle popular social programs because "government bad!" 
  • Install right wing activist judges to do legislating for them from the bench
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

Holy shit!  The writer of this absolutely scathing anti-Desantis editorial is a former chief of staff to Republican Governor Bob Martinez and a longtime Republican stratgeist.  He OBLITERATE DeSantis. So many choice quotes!

Covid delta variant destroys the Ron DeSantis "master politician"  myth.

The fundamental flaw afflicting Gov. Ron DeSantis is not the hubris that offended the gods and brought the protagonists in Greek tragedies to ruin, although the gods cannot have failed to notice his overabundant and unwarranted self-esteem. No, DeSantis’ flaw is unbridled ambition. He wants to be president so badly that he can taste it. In fact, he wants to be president so badly that all of us can taste it.

It is this ambition that led to the Faustian bargain that won him Donald Trump’s endorsement in the 2018 Republican gubernatorial primary and cost him his soul. And it is this ambition that has caused him to do a face plant right in the middle of the road to the White House. I refer, of course, to his shambolic performance during the COVID delta variant surge that has inundated Florida.

https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/2021/09/02/covid-delta-variant-blow-ups-the-ron-desantis-master-politician-myth-editorial/

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

I loved this quote, but wasn't DeSantis a former JAG guy? I assumed he was doing it on purpose and figuring if he got any through at all that was okay because he would use it for his campaign.

...repeatedly being stuffed in a locker by federal judges for pushing laws through the Legislature that a first-year law student would know are unconstitutional,

Substitute teachers in St. Petersburg: "We're not going into the classrooms with things like they are,"  so students are left twiddling their thumbs.

"Parents and the teachers union are saying the substitute teacher shortage in Pinellas County has become a major problem.   

With the COVID-19 delta variant bringing the worst of the pandemic and Pinellas schools backing off on safety measures, the union says the school system is seeing about 200 teachers call in sick a day – and substitutes are reluctant to fill in. 

"Many don’t feel comfortable coming to the classrooms under the conditions," said Nancy Velardi, head of the Pinellas Classroom Teachers Association.  

Since the beginning of the school year, the Pinellas school district has had around 3,000 positive COVID cases.  "

https://www.fox13news.com/news/with-dozens-of-teachers-out-sick-pinellas-students-say-theyre-left-to-sit-doing-nothing

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/04/politics/casey-desantis-breast-cancer/index.html

Casey DeSantis, the wife of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, has been diagnosed with breast cancer, the governor announced Monday.

"As the mother of three young children, Casey is the centerpiece of our family and has made an impact on the lives of countless Floridians through her initiatives as First Lady," the Republican governor said in a statement in which he called the first lady a "true fighter." 

"As she faces the most difficult test of her life, she will have not only have my unwavering support but the support of our entire family, as well as the prayers and well wishes from Floridians across our state," he said.

I feel bad for her and her kids.

But what I know of her husband, he will still devote himself to running for whatever office is around the corner.

Trump wants it known that he doesn't give a shit about his Republican rivals, he'd beat them handily.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/04/politics/donald-trump-ron-desantis-florida-2024/index.html

Donald Trump may be waiting to announce his (seemingly inevitable) run for his old office in 2024 but he's already sending a warning shot at a potential rival for the nomination. 

Asked about the possibility of facing Florida Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis in 2024, Trump was hugely dismissive.

"If I faced him, I'd beat him like I would beat everyone else," Trump told Yahoo Finance late last week. "I think most people would drop out, I think he would drop out."

Make no mistake at what Trump is doing here: He is sending a very clear shot across DeSantis' bow, making sure the newest and biggest star in the national Republican firmament knows that he can't possibly hope to beat the former president -- and shouldn't even try.

Whether Trump's aggressive approach to a DeSantis' candidacy impacts the Florida' governor's thinking about 2024 remains to be seen. But like with so many things Trump says about other people, it's deeply revealing about the former president and how he thinks about himself and his role in the party and the country.

Trump views himself, effectively, as the king of the Republican Party. In his mind, everyone is not only below him but also owes him a debt of gratitude for having any sort of power. And that view very much informs how he sees DeSantis.

DeSantis was a largely unknown Republican member of Congress when Trump endorsed him in late 2017. "Congressman Ron DeSantis is a brilliant young leader, Yale and then Harvard Law, who would make a GREAT Governor of Florida. He loves our Country and is a true FIGHTER!," Trump tweeted.

That endorsement propelled DeSantis to a come-from-behind win in the GOP primary -- and, eventually, the governor's mansion.

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/04/politics/casey-desantis-breast-cancer/index.html

I feel bad for her and her kids.

But what I know of her husband, he will still devote himself to running for whatever office is around the corner.

Ron, "Casey, love of my life.  I want you to know that I will not rest a single moment or lose any focus on being here for this family, helping you battle this disease, and being the partner you deserve.  Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a fundraiser in 20 mts."  

56 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trump views himself, effectively, as the king of the Republican Party. In his mind, everyone is not only below him but also owes him a debt of gratitude for having any sort of power.

And on that point, DOTUS is 100% correct.  The party is whatever he says it is.  The path/future of any GQP politician is whatever he says it is.  They will do whatever he commands.  The obsequiousness of the GQP matches this:

whatever-you.gif

There is no party, only Trump.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The next 5 posts are going to criticize the FL Surgeon General. One of those posts will likely contain an inaccuracy. Anastasis will then jump down that poster's throat for spreading misinformation. Then we'll spend 1-2 pages arguing about that. Rinse and repeat for eternity.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

"stick to their intuition." 

Floridian Intuition?    That's literally the third warning label on the chemicals in my garage.  

And "Freedom has a Home Here"...I'll give 'em credit.  That's got a ring to it.  But what's with all the Gadsden flags but with Alligators on them?  Is the Alligator saying "don't tread on me"? or is the Alligator serve as a warning to would be freedom-squashers?  are we the Alligator?  Should the Alligator be wearing a bucket on its head because we're blind to the government's tyranny and oppression?

The state is literally built on top of bad decisions.  Now we're going to encourage more in the name of liberty?