Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

27 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

Can we get back to recruiting? Tell me how many guards and safeties dumbo is gonna recruit?

Yes. all of them. 

Evidence? they are about to get a commit from Antonio Johnson and now they are in the final 4 for this guy (which is really a final 1) 

https://247sports.com/Player/Vito-Tisdale-46037414/

Texas A&M has yet to pick up a commitment at the safety position in the class of 2020. However, with several young players on campus, including true freshman starter Demani Richardson, it is not a spot that needs a ton of signees. The Aggies will take at least one, and possibly two, at the position in the class.

A&M hopes that one of those spots is filled by East St. Louis, Ill., four-star Antonio Johnson, who announces this coming Saturday. The 6-foot-2, 180-pound former Tennessee commit has a number of Crystal Ball predictions in favor of the Aggies.

Should Johnson choose A&M, there is still a chance that Mike Elko and Co. sign another safety as well. The Aggies played host to four-star Michigan commit Jordan Morant out of New Jersey over the weekend. A&M feels it went well, but Morant plans on using his other officials as well.
The third safety the Aggies have been in communication with is Vito Tisdale out of Bowling Green, Ky. The 6-foot-1, 201-pound four-star defender was set to visit Aggieland over the summer but did not end up making the trip. Still, though, he has kept in contact with the A&M staff.
Early Tuesday afternoon, Tisdale announced a final four that consisted of A&M, Alabama, Georgia and Kentucky.

At the moment, the majority of the Crystal Ball predictions are for in-state Kentucky. However, if A&M is to miss out on Johnson, look for the Aggies to ramp up their recruitment of Tisdale.
Tisdale has long planned to announce at the All-American Bowl in San Antonio on Sat., Jan. 4.

9 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I do think Nick Saban retires after his next title, or in the next 3 years. Alabama is the only job Dabo would leave Clemson for, but idk that he would actually go. Either way, one of those teams will falter under new leadership. Best case scenario would be teams like Miami, FSU, and Georgia Tech making the ACC interesting as Saban retires. Clemson comes back to the pack and Alabama struggles under a new regime. Bada bing, bada boom. 

In reality, SEC 2 will be LSU. They may actually win the SEC this year. It would be terrific if Joe Brady would go back to the NFL. Maybe Lincoln Riley will hire him in Dallas. Georgia is setup to contend with a long term coaching solution, but I don't believe in their offensive philosophy at all as it tries to exploit matchups in design and not principle. If they had no impact rbs, they wouldn't win the east regardless of how talented the roster is. 

Programs are always rising or falling in America. In week of September 20 of 2009, Texas, Florida, and Alabama were the top dogs. Texas and Florida were descending and both ended up bottoming out half a decade later or more, and Bama continued their climb. Clemson wasn't even ranked for half of that year and finished the year 9-5 and ranked 24th. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Saban was still at Bama at age 80. He looks young and this is all he knows. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Yes. all of them. 

Evidence? they are about to get a commit from Antonio Johnson and now they are in the final 4 for this guy (which is really a final 1) 

looks like nationwide search for a safety that will commit. 

12 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Yes. all of them. 

Antonio Johnson is flirting with Alabama a lot right now.  Tisdale may commit to aggy but he's not supposed to commit until January.  I doubt he ends up at aggy.

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Saban was still at Bama at age 80

Legacy is too important to him. Saban has been able to maintain status quo at Alabama after he turned it around, but that's Saban at his best. I had a middle school teacher that sensed impending dementia in his late 60s, so one morning he walked out his front door and blew his brains out on his stoop.

While I don't think Saban will off himself, I think that the very instant he feels like he's not as sharp as he was when he took the job, he'll step away. But who knows, maybe he's Pete Carroll. Idk how you surround yourself with Alabamians and remain on the top of your game, but maybe he's figured it out.

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Saban was still at Bama at age 80. He looks young and this is all he knows. 

TSRH. Does anyone think that guy is even capable of retirement? 

2 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Antonio Johnson is flirting with Alabama a lot right now.  Tisdale may commit to aggy but he's not supposed to commit until January.  I doubt he ends up at aggy.

Just now, Neonmoon said:

Is Antonio Johnson commiting to Aggy? I thought they were kicking the tires on Jordan Morant because the might lose Johnson to Bama. I guess Bama passed. 

I might be remembering it wrong, but didn't Johnson originally have a trip to Bama scheduled for an upcoming weekend? Then Johnson moved his commitment up to the 21st which seemed like the flirtation with Bama was done. (hence the Aggy CBs by the Illinois and Tennessee mods). 

15 hours ago, markstanco said:

What is amazing is they really think that in 2021 they will win the national championship. With nick saban as the coach of alabama and mond as their QB.

Absolutely astonishing.

Keep up, ya stupid sip.  Mond will be in the NFL and Calzada will have made everyone in the SEC forget about him in 2021. 

2 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I'd call Miles a push. He's a better recruiter, and less likely to suffer from defections or just flat out losing the team, but he's also a moron with a streak of crazy. Probably perfect for Kansas, though, but at aggy, there wouldn't be anything to mitigate his odd decisions. Where he is, there's a certain practicality to everything around him being boring that doesn't play to the worst parts of his persona. Jimbo, of course, caught lightning in a bottle once, and now aggy thinks he's a power plant.

Edit:  I had that all typed up, and then walked away from my computer -- Ricky's one-hitter said it better and sooner. Miles, Jimbo, and Chizik are peas in a pod.

Valid, the only reason I really thought about him is that after his fourth year coaching, meaning the program was all his players, he actually went on to have some better seasons than with Saban's recruits. Jimbo declined every year after his fourth year with Bowden's recruits, culminating in that 5 win catastrophe that is still dogging FSU. Miles also was playing in the SEC West vs the shit ACC for Jimbo to keep his win totals artificially inflated. While Miles inexplicably set football back two decades on offense while at LSU, he seems to have embraced his OSU days again in the B12 at Kansas. 

8 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

Problem is that Auburn and Florida won against Oregon and Miami and inflated their stature despite miami being trash and Oregon probably being overrated. Thus every game involving Florida and Auburn result in the opposing team getting a huge bump if they win and little to no drop when they lose. 

In the end, the entire shitty conference wannabes are propped up higher than they should be. 

Then bowl season comes around and they have a losing record. 

Next season begins and it's rinse and repeat. 

Yeah but Miami sucks. Oregon is probably good. 

Oregon has a 1st round QB and 3 or 4 OL that will be drafted in the early rounds. With that talent they have to be decent.

A lot of people are undervaluing Auburn’s win over Oregon on a neutral field. That’s probably the 2nd best win in CFB so far this year after the LSU win in Austin. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

How is it that Hamm Lite actually talks/texts these kids and is this late to the party? 

East St. Louis, Ill., 4-star S Antonio Johnson is set to announce this coming Saturday. He is planning to do so at 4 p.m., after his team's Homecoming game, which starts at 1 p.m. However, he could end up announcing before the game. At the moment, I am still hearing A&M from multiple people. The Aggies have optimism, and for good reason, but they are not counting out Alabama. This is pretty much between those two teams. Johnson is in contact very regularly with A&M but was also supposed to talk to Alabama tonight and will do so again tomorrow. The Tide are really trying to do their best to change his mind.

All of that to say that I still feel good about my A&M Crystal Ball pick, but I don't think the decision is set in stone just yet.

UPDATE: Alabama may not end up pushing as hard late as I, and some others, had expected.

This shit has been known,  It's why the kid moved his commitment date up. Bama passed. He setup a Bama visit for the 28th - then a week later moved his commitment date to the 21st. I like the completely fabricated "Tide is really trying to do their best..." shit though, esp as it is debunked just a couple of hours later. Alabama was simply keeping Johnson warm and will now have him ready for a late flip if they lose one of the current S commits and decide that they don't want to put Story on defense. Have we not seen this exact scenario play out like 20 times over the past 8-10 years? 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, golfclap said:

How is it that Hamm Lite actually talks/texts these kids and is this late to the party? 

This shit has been known,  It's why the kid moved his commitment date up. Bama passed. He setup a Bama visit for the 28th - then a week later moved his commitment date to the 21st. I like the completely fabricated "Tide is really trying to do their best..." shit though, esp as it is debunked just a couple of hours later. Alabama was simply keeping Johnson warm and will now have him ready for a late flip if they lose one of the current S commits and decide that they don't want to put Story on defense. Have we not seen this exact scenario play out like 20 times over the past 8-10 years? 

Looch will declare power moves by Jimbo for winning a head-to-head recruitment against Saban and that aggy is in battles against Bama', LSU, Georgia for recruits and not worried about bdf Texas.

Spoiler

Liucci

11:21p, 9/17/19 

Staff

AG

Quote:

Our run defense is light years beyond anything we have had in 20 years if not more. What do you think is the difference? Is it something Elko is doing specifically? Scheme? Talent? A mix of all this?

It's Mike Elko. Dude is absolutely one of the best DC's in the country and probably better than anyone the Ags have had since the 90s. DeRuyter was really good but was only here for a couple of years but I'd say Elko is as good as I've seen at A&M since I started covering the team full-time in '98. It also has a lot to do with the talent that the Aggies have had the past two seasons along the defensive line. Lots of current and future NFL players up front to help Elko's first two defenses stop the run and set the tone. As far as across the board talent, however, I believe the best is yet to come for the Aggie defense. In other words, things are going to only get better.

Quote:

Over/ Under for Auburn point total? I.e. we hold them to less and we win, more and we could be in trouble. I'm thinking 24. 

I think that's a good number. If anything though, I might say it's a little high. I might put Auburn's number at 17 or 20. I'm thinking A&M 24, Auburn 17 or perhaps 24-20.

Quote:

Do we see Erick Young this week? 

I think he's a week or so out. Maybe Arkansas and definitely Bama.

Quote:

Best recruit you ever covered?

My short list (in terms of how good they were as recruits, not what they ended up doing in college or the NFL):

Adrian Peterson at RB, Leonard Davis on the OL, Derrick Johnson at LB, Andrew Luck and Kyler Murray at QB, Demond Demas at WR (he tops Dez Bryant, IMO), Eric Winston and Martellus Bennett at TE, Marcus Spears and Myles Garrett at DE. Matt Stafford, Tommie Harris, Reggie McNeal, Ty Warren, Sammy Davis and Quentin Jammer are on that list, as well. Trying to think of a few others off the top of my head and it's tough to do after 20-plus years of doing this. Cory Redding, Vince Young, Roy Williams, David Warren and Cedric Benson are a few others. If I had to name a top five, I'd probably go:

1 Adrian Peterson

2 Myles Garrett

3 Leonard Davis

4 Marcus Spears

5 Derrick Johnson/Andrew Luck

Quote:

I'll ask the obvious one; What's going on with Zach Evans' recruitment. Haven't heard much about him lately. Is there fire behind the smoke with the UGA rumor?

I do think there's something there in terms of Georgia tapping the brakes and slowing things down a little. It's probably good for Evans to wait it out a little longer and be absolutely all-in when he makes a commitment. As I've ALWAYS said with this one - when certain posters and analysts said A&M had no shot, when they were saying A&M was going to get him prior to the season and when he was all but a 'lock' for Georgia: Zach Evans recruitment is a long way from being over and it will extend until Signing Day. Should be quite interesting to follow between now and NSD.

Quote:

By position group, what is our best matchup with Auburn? What is our worst, and how will we scheme around it? 

Best matchup might be the Aggie DL versus Auburn's OL, which might sound strange since AU returns all five starters up front from last season. I also like the Aggie receivers against the Tiger safeties if Mond has time to throw. The worst might be on the other side of the ball, as the Auburn defensive front poses a tremendous problem for an Aggie offensive line that has been solid but certainly unspectacular to date. That's the position group that has to step up in a big way on Saturday at Kyle Field.

Quote:

Thought or concerns about lack of TE production with the 1st team? 

No concern from me because the fact of the matter is that Beal was never going to be Jace Sternberger as a receiver. He's more of a big blocking threat who will eventually be a chain moving type. Wydermyer has two TDs in the past two games and is beginning to settle in. Jalen is going to be an outstanding tight end in Maroon & White but he's played all of three games of college football. I think you'll see him start being targeted and catching more passes as the Ags dive deeper into conference play. The blocking was just bad to start things out but the duo plus Cam Horry made big strides this week. My only real concern is that these guys have three games under their belts and it just so happens that Game #4 is against a really good Auburn defense. The position isn't where you'd want it yet, and that's both understandable and unfortunate. I think you'll see them turn the corner very soon, however.

Quote:

Do you think the defense will pound Nix into submission? He looked pretty shaky for 3+ quarters against Oregon.

If they can stop the run and maintain their pass rush lanes, yes. I agree, he hasn't looked comfortable in the offense and against live defenses against Oregon or Tulane, save the last-minute drive versus the Ducks. As I said earlier this week, it's up to the Aggies to make him look like a true freshman playing in his first SEC road game. Stop the run on first down and let Mike Elko get creative and Nix will be in for a long day. The key is to put him in uncomfortable positions by winning on first- and second-down.

Quote:

Of the freshman who have seen time in this season's first 3 games.........who do you see on the SEC 1st or 2nd team in 2021? 

In 2021? First or second team? DeMarvin Leal, Demani Richardson, Kenyon Green and possibly Isaiah Spiller, Ainias Smith or Jalen Wydermyer. If Spiller can establish himself as Jimbo Fisher's bellcow as a true freshman, then he's definitely on the list.

Quote:

Who has a better chance of being the GOAT: Von Miller or Myles Garrett?

Well Von Miller is already close. The dude is a four-time Pro Bowler and two-time All-Pro and Super Bowl MVP. He also has 98 career sacks. He's likely to move into the top 10 on the NFL's all-time sack list before all is said and done and could climb even a little higher than that. As of today? I don't think there's a better pass rusher in the league than Myles Garrett. He's an absolutely unstoppable force. Tough question, but I'll stick with Von for now but that hard for me to say because part of me thinks Garrett has the potential to be one of the best ever, a Bruce Smith type of talent.

Quote:

I feel like this game is massively important for this current season, but possibly also for recruiting and future seasons. Does it make a big difference in recruiting if we go say 10-2 or 9-3 this year as opposed to 7-5? I would think that it would. 

It certainly has the potential to be the single-biggest 'swing' game of the season. I've said that throughout the off-season and nothing I've seen so far - from A&M, Auburn or anyone else on the Aggie schedule - has made me think otherwise.

Quote:

Who has a better defense in your opinion between Clemson and Auburn? That being said, can A&M win if we only score 10 points in this game?

I think Clemson has a better defense overall but Auburn is better up front. No, I don't think the Aggies can win if they score just 10 points. I think it's going to take north of 20 and probably something like 23 or 24.

Quote:

I feel like this is the game that will tell us how much Buddy Johnson and Anthony Hines have developed. What are your thoughts?

Agree. Last year, the Ags held Auburn to next to nothing on the ground and that was due in large part to good games from a pair of veteran LBs in Otaro Alaka and Tyrel Dodson. Hines and Johnson have looked good so far but this is the true proving ground contest for both. If we see #19 and #1 flying around and making plays against the Tigers, then I believe we can officially call the LB position a strength. I'll say this much: The Ags NEED both linebackers to play well, be where they are supposed to be and make some big plays on Saturday.

Quote:

This will be the 2019 breakout game for Kendrick Rogers? 

I'm not sure if it's Rogers or not (it might be) but I have a feeling one of the Aggie wideouts is going to have a big game. I'll go with Jhamon or Kendrick, with at least two big plays turned in by Cam Buckley and Ainias Smith. Quartney Davis is a wildcard for me only because he missed last week's game and hasn't practiced a lot so I worry a little about rust and timing.

Quote:

If you could pick one elite weapon to infuse into the starting lineup, which position would it be? 

Probably an edge pass-rushing fiend or a rangy ballhawk at safety on defense. I think Demani will be that guy but he's not there after playing in just three college games. On offense, I think it's Jace Sternberger. The Ags will be filthy at tight end when Wydermyer and Cupp come of age but, as of today, a guy like Sternberger would be a game-changer for this offense.

Quote:

Will Smith start getting a few carries? Is he our 4th RB now that Prince is leaving?

I'm not sure that's going to be the case but I've said Ainias can certainly do it if need be. And I don't think the fourth-string running back is going to typically get carries in SEC games under Fisher. We didn't see it last year and haven't seen it this year so barring injury, I don't believe so.

Quote:

If we beat Auburn, can we crack top 10? 

Probably not after this weekend but the Ags would probably break into the top-10 heading into Bama if they followed that up with a win over Arkansas and then the bye. I look at those rankings and think that a 4-1 A&M would shoot past the likes of Oregon (who lost to Auburn), Auburn, Florida and the Michigan/Wisconsin loser by the time Bama rolls into town. Penn State isn't going to stay unbeaten for long, either. That's not a good team. If Georgia handles Notre Dame and the Aggies knock off #8, those two would be very close in the rankings, as well. So the Ags would be right there.

Quote:

What changes would you like to see in A&M's football schedule, both from a non-con and league perspective? Mine are as follows: No more Arky at Jerry World, no more FCS teams and break up the Alabama teams to alternate home and away. 

1. No more Arky at Jerry World

I'm indifferent, unlike most. I love the annual weekend in Dallas and don't hate the stadium but would love an extra home game at Kyle every other year. Not sure how much I'd like going to Fayetteville every other season, however, so I'm torn. Doesn't matter, as I'm 100% convinced based on what I've heard that the contract isn't going to be renewed. The reason? Arkansas is making scheduling moves past the expiration date that indicate they're done with the series being played in Arlington, as well.

2. No more FCS teams

I'd be fine with this. I'd actually like it, though those who put together the schedules say it's much tougher than you'd think for every Power 5 to schedule each other or even to load up on Group of Fives. That said, yes, I'd love to see A&M find a way, even if meant playing a couple of lower-tier G5 programs like UTSA, North Texas, Tulsa, etc. Still better than Lamar, Abilene Christian and the like. That goes for everyone in the SEC, mind you.

3. Break up the Alabama teams to alternate home and away 

I actually kind of like this one. Look, with LSU, Bama and Auburn in the division, you're going to get two of those three on the road every other year anyway so I really don't think it matters much. If we're talking about the conference schedule, I'd rather see more of a consistent rotation with the East teams and do away with the 'permanent rival' crap.

Quote:

We finally got to see some Ainias. Do you expect to see him for a significant number of plays vs. Auburn? 

Yes, I do. He's ready to contribute in a meaningful game and has the right mindset to do it. We saw it last year at Auburn, where a couple of Tiger freshmen who had flashed in a game or two prior stepped up and made big plays against the Aggie defense. I think Smith could return the favor this weekend.

Quote:

And if we get Devon Achane...does that possibility excite you?

Possibly? How about absolutely??? I think Achane is a special talent. Like Smith, he just brings something to the table that the Aggie roster doesn't have - unadulterated, game-changing speed and playmaking ability. I'd try to add one like him (someone that adds something the roster lacks and who does something noticeably better than most) every year. Thinking about guys like Smith, Achane, Demas, Muhammad, Cupp and even 2021 Shadrach Banks on offense...those are some incredibly explosive athletes at their respective positions. This offense is about to be absolutely loaded.

Quote:

Any idea why Caleb Chapman isn't seeing the field much and isn't being targeted when he does get some mop up time? 

He's healthy. The Ags have kept a pretty tight rotation and, to be honest, I haven't noticed if he's been open or not when he has been out there in mop up time. Frankly, I'd be surprised if we didn't see him factor in at some point. Unless he's simply not getting it done in practice (which I haven't heard) you have to think his presence is at least putting some pressure on at least one of the starters, which in turn, might be elevating their game. Truth is, he's no better than fifth on the WR pecking order right now, which means Caleb just has to keep working hard and take advantage of his opportunity when it arises (which I believe it will).

Quote:

Are we a really good team, or just average? 

Way too early to tell. Well, actually, I'll say this: I think the Ags are a good team with a chance to be very good. Like top-10 and New Year's Six good. They're much better than average and haven't even scratched the surface yet. If this team stays healthy and can sneak past Auburn this week and take care of Arkansas next weekend to get to the bye, Fisher's squad could be ready to roll when the Tide comes to town on the second Saturday of October. Even if the Ags come up short in that one, they could go on a nice winning streak after that and look like a completely different team heading to Georgia and LSU. Again, they're good right now with a chance to be pretty damned salty but they have to grit out a couple in order to get there.

Quote:

Would you have believed it if someone would have told you when you started covering Aggie football in the Big 12 days that in 2019 A&M would face a team that won a national championship (2010), played for another natty in 2013 and won the SEC West in 2017 all in less than a decade and fans wouldn't have this game circled on the calendar and the "Big 4" wouldn't include it?

Haha that's a pretty amazing way of looking at it. Yeah, this schedule is by far and away the toughest I've ever seen an A&M team play (including the seven SEC teams before it) and it's probably as tough a slate as any program in college football history has had to navigate. Why? Because I don't think Clemson, Georgia, Bama or LSU are going anywhere. Those are all playoff-caliber teams and will remain that way until one of the SEC teams is essentially forced out by the others. It's not like the "playing 1-4" thing is an early-season mirage. Maybe Auburn at 8 is too high but we'll see. As far as War Eagle goes, I always point out their run since 2010 as an example that it can absolutely be done in the SEC West with Nick Saban and Alabama rolling like they are. Give me that level of ten-year success under Jimbo minus the five loss years and the disaster or 2012 (turn those into a couple of 9-3 and maybe an 8-4) and I'd sign up for that in a second.

Quote:

The Offensive Line has always been a key to how this season goes. It's been discussed about who the communication on the line needs to improve. How much do we chalk that up to a new center making the calls or do we look at Turner moving on and having Henson take over and installing some new line calls. Turner being held onto in Jimbo 1st year was a good thing and along with Jace and Trayveon a key to our ground game. This group will get it together just hope sooner than later. Thoughts? 

I think you're on to something in terms of a lot happening in the way of transition for the Maroon Goons. New voice, new coach techniques and verbiage, lost a running back who was terrific in protection, lost a center who played at an All-American level, replaced two starters and are now starting a true freshman among your five. It wasn't going to happen overnight and it hasn't. Unfortunately, it wasn't going to all fall into place in three games and the truth is there isn't necessarily overwhelming talent along the front. The Ags have to figure it out for one Saturday this weekend. If they do, I think this unit just gets better and better and could be a rock solid group by mid-season.

Quote:

Tyree Wilson looks to be coming on as a player and definitely looks the part in pads. Do you see him eventually playing a Jayden Peevy type role or as a SDE going forward?

Well, Peevy has been primarily used inside. Wilson is very interesting/intriguing in that he's already gotten SO much bigger and more muscled up and filled out in little over a year on campus. He's north of 260 now on at least a 6-6 frame and is freakishly long and athletic. You're right, he's flashed a couple of times, including Saturday night. The next step for Tyree is making a couple of plays against SEC competition but he's certainly on track to make a contribution this year and maybe make a noteworthy impact in 2020 and beyond. Don't forget he's a little behind the curve after missing spring ball and part of the summer off-season with a foot or ankle injury.

Others receiving votes:

Quote:

Is it true that TECMO bowl shaped your future as a football guru? Was the rule banning Jerry Rice as a running back in the McInnis TECMO tourneys a fair/legit rule?

This is a fair question. The Jerry Rice rule was fair. I won most of those tournaments (an alarming percentage, actually). Come to think of it, I was the Nick Saban of Tecmo Bowl, something C-Rod and Lonnie can vouch for. Heck, maybe it shaped Lonnie's future as a head high school football coach, too. The Rice rule was legit, as was the banning of the 49ers and Giants in any and all tournaments. The Bills may have been banned too, I can't remember. 'QB Eagles' was unstoppable, as I basically did what Mack Brown and Greg Davis later did with Vince Young to win a national title.

Quote:

I really enjoy listening to the Beliucci hour lunch. The banter between you and Brauny cracks me up. Is that what it's like all the time around TexAgs? Does anyone ever get really upset about something? Just curious because sometimes it sounds like it. 

Gabe has had a few episodes where he's been brought to tears but other than that, no one has ever gotten upset. But yes, the banter is fun and we're on each other pretty hard as in nothing really gets by...if you do something worthy of ridicule, you're going to hear about it. We generally have a blast around each other but the most recent blow up involved Donny breaking one of Clay's WWE action figures and I thought I was going to have to step in and mediate because young Deezy was pretty heated about Superfly Snuka's arm breaking off.

And Gabe hasn't been brought to tears. I just wanted to let that one marinate for a few sentences while he read this and got progressively more bent out of shape. By now he's probably screaming "Megggggggs!!! Come look at what Looch wrote about me!!!"

Quote:

Will the Astros make the World Series? 

Well, I needed new furniture and didn't go buy a bunch of stuff from Matress Mac so there's an excellent chance that the answer is yes. That and the fact that they're clearly the best team in baseball. Yes, I don't think the Yankees or Dodgers are stopping the 'Stros this time around. It's going to be two in three years for H-Town and I love it.

Quote:

Also, have you seen the new Lincoln Aviator? Would you consider trading in the Audi for one?

I haven't seen it yet but need to give it a look. It would have to be incredibly nice for me to get past those damn McConaughey commercials. That might be a dealbreaker on any Lincoln's for me. Plus, I'm about a week in to my new Tahoe from Zach and the crew over at Caldwell Country and I can't say enough good things about that bad boy. I haven't driven a Tahoe in about five years and forgot how much I love them. Especially this one.

Quote:

What's the most surprising thing you've seen so far this year in college football going into week 4?

Outside of Hugh Freeze and Mack Brown on opening weekend, I'd say it's probably how pedestrian the bottom half of the SEC is. Folks will make a bigger deal of it than they should because they hate 'SEC bias' so much and they simply gloss over the fact that the top half of the league will probably go 3-1 against ND, Clemson, Texas and Oregon (and that doesn't even include Bama) but the fact is, the bottom half is as bad as it's been since the Ags joined the conference. Outside of Georgia, the East is rancid and even the West looks bad from 5-7. I'm also surprised by how incredible Jalen Hurts looks in that OU offense. I know they haven't played a defense capable of stopping air but still. He's a legit Heisman contender and I really didn't know if we'd see that. What's not surprising is how overhyped Texas is again...to the point that even some A&M fans are buying it in their unrelenting quest to self loathe.

• Like 1

Rent. Damn. Free.

Also, have you seen the new Lincoln Aviator? Would you consider trading in the Audi for one?

I haven't seen it yet but need to give it a look. It would have to be incredibly nice for me to get past those damn McConaughey commercials. That might be a dealbreaker on any Lincoln's for me. Plus, I'm about a week in to my new Tahoe from Zach and the crew over at Caldwell Country and I can't say enough good things about that bad boy. I haven't driven a Tahoe in about five years and forgot how much I love them. Especially this one.

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Rent. Damn. Free.

I'm pretty sure RC Slocum is an investor with the Caldwell dealer group. Not surprising, therefore, that there'd be a plug like that. Shameless self-promotion is a tradition, after all, as is paying too much for crappy goods and services. And lying, cheating, stealing, fucking sheep, etc.

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Top 5 recruits in Texas in the last 20 years that doesn't include Vince Young. Fuck. Yes. That was a high quality Luch Q&A. 

He made sure we all knew he didn't just forget they were in the time scale either

Trying to think of a few others off the top of my head and it's tough to do after 20-plus years of doing this. Cory Redding, Vince Young, Roy Williams, David Warren and Cedric Benson are a few others. If I had to name a top five, I'd probably go:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Has Chin Pubes ever written one of his narcissistic puff pieces without including a jab at Texas, ever? I am going to venture a guess that he has not. That level of consistent obsession and insecurity really is remarkable.

He can't even get through the Lord's Prayer.

". . . and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from tee yew."

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Top 5 recruits in Texas in the last 20 years that doesn't include Vince Young. Fuck. Yes. That was a high quality Luch Q&A. 

Lucci is a fat, clueless aggy homeboy with a mugshot that reminds me of some drug arrest clowns in Cedar Park aired on Live PD.  He makes money lying to rubes and fuckers 100% bought in after fish camp.  Manziel thinks selling insurance on tv is a better gig than stealing money from the College Station/Bryan/Shiro/Anderson/Snook/Navasota rubes.  Congrats Manziel.  

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

No McNeal mention was the most shocking part of that entire chat

My short list (in terms of how good they were as recruits, not what they ended up doing in college or the NFL):

Adrian Peterson at RB, Leonard Davis on the OL, Derrick Johnson at LB, Andrew Luck and Kyler Murray at QB, Demond Demas at WR (he tops Dez Bryant, IMO), Eric Winston and Martellus Bennett at TE, Marcus Spears and Myles Garrett at DE. Matt Stafford, Tommie Harris, Reggie McNeal, Ty Warren, Sammy Davis and Quentin Jammer are on that list, as well. Trying to think of a few others off the top of my head and it's tough to do after 20-plus years of doing this. Cory Redding, Vince Young, Roy Williams, David Warren and Cedric Benson are a few others.

• Like 1