A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

people need to understand that the completely unhinged maniac insurrectionist redhat mother fucker piece of shit nazi's vote counts exactly the same as the oh i don't really follow politics because it's so ugly and divisive but we've always voted republican vote.

one might seem better than the other, but when the voting booth curtain closes, there's no fucking difference.

And the one that’s the reliable voter doesn’t get their opinions heard because they will vote R no matter what.   So the rhetoric shifts to pander to tbe unhinged maniac insurrectionists to keep them voting. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

so will they vote for trump in 2024 if he is the gop nominee?  do they know it was a political scam?  if they don't, are you able to reason with them and convince them it was a scam?  do they think pulling the lever for (r) is what's best for the country, regardless of the name next to it?

i'm honestly asking.

The honest answer is they don’t know.  They aren’t faced with that choice yet.  They think Trump is awful and needs to never be President again and they think Joe Biden is abysmal and needs to never be President again.  If these are their two choices again in 2024, they don’t know what they will do other than be disgusted with their options.  I’m sure that won’t be a satisfying answer to this crowd.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So then what is their reason to keep voting for the Political Party that hates anyone that is not White, Male, Heterosexual or Christian?  Because that hate and rhetoric is already shooting off violence, and these people, by continuing to vote Republican, condone it.

3 hours ago, lemonlime said:

The "Nazi monsters," except for maybe a few people at the top, didn't start out as "Nazi monsters."  If you had told them or their neighbors, in say 1932, they would contribute to the genocide of millions, they would have called you a liar and been horrified.  They were probably for the most part good neighbors who loved their families..  But they were also Nazi monsters and that's rightfully what they're remembered for today, after their deaths--the atrocities they participated in.

Just as a thought experiment, what if you told them 10 years ago that the Republican loser of the last election called for the Constitution to be suspended and that he be installed in to office, and no Republicans spoke out against it.  Would your friends have believed that to have really happened?  Would they have believed that they would have supported a candidate who called for the Constitution to be suspended?    Would they have been okay with religious bans?  Separating babies from their mothers?  Letting people die after a hurricane because they were from a territory?  Spreading anti-vax nonsense during a global pandemic?  The president saying there were "good Nazis"?

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

But if they don’t get that other option than they’ll happily vote the same way in 2024 as they did in 2016 and 2020. And maybe they really just want the same option with a different face like, say, DeSantis. He’ll still hurt the right people but he won’t be quite as in-your-face Trumpy. 

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

yep.  wanting it to be a more palatable trump doesn't get you off the hook 6 months later when you pull the lever for actual trump.

the other side of that is also true.  wanting it to be desantis because trump is a piece of shit doesn't absolve you when desantis shockingly behaves like said piece of shit.  i didn't realize the leopard would also be eating my face.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I’m not a ledge sitter, far from it, and I’ve caught shit for not stepping out on the ledge.

And I don’t want to pile on you, because  I agree with you that there are plenty who are not full-on Trumpanzees, and I know the kinds that you’re talking about.

But it’s 2022, they bought their tickets, they know what they are getting into, and if they aren’t stepping up to the plate and fully and publicly denouncing him, and vowing not to vote for him, they can’t claim any neutrality and they can’t claim to be innocent.  When Kevin McCarthy, Lindsey Graham, etc, are trying to remain silent on this, they might as well be publicly cheering Trump on.

You’ve rendered your judgments from behind your screens of people you know nothing of other than they identify as a conservative and voted for Trump at least once.  What could I say or they do that could possibly matter to you?  They are your sworn enemy. So be it.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

I read that yesterday after you posted it.

Here's where the rubber meets the road.

Show up and vote. 

When I went to vote for my local runoff today (mayor and city council) the volunteer said thank you for showing up to save democracy.  I said, damn right.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, Goredho said:

I understand the outrage, but for my kid’s sake, I’m most interested in seeing how we can most quickly and pragmatically neutralize the threat that Trump and his movement within the GOP represent.  The least efficient and most violent path is through a war to the death with everyone who identified as and voted Republican in 2016 and beyond (the “fuckemall” approach).

Trump and his movement have enemies in the Republican party.  They have enemies among conservative voters who want to see a return from the brink.  If our goal is to make our nation a better one for the next generation as quickly and painlessly as possible, those Republicans and conservative voters should be empowered, promoted and embraced, not bludgeoned with outrage.  We should do that for no other reason than it increases the barriers that Trump and his movement must overcome to cement their ideology as the law of the land.

I don’t give a fuck if a Republican voted to not impeach Trump two years ago.  If they are willing to help bury his ass today, they are an ally.  I don’t care if a conservative voter pulled the lever for Trump in 2020.  If they are willing to primary his ass in favor of another conservative who does not as successfully operate his hate engine, that voter is an ally.

"If."   I'm not willing to believe in "If."

You’ve rendered your judgments from behind your screens of people you know nothing of other than they identify as a conservative and voted for Trump at least once.  What could I say or they do that could possibly matter to you?  They are your sworn enemy. So be it.

I know that they identify as conservative, voted for Trump, and by your statement, would seriously consider doing so again, because gosh darn it, Biden is so bad!
I know everything I need to know. I know that they will choose to support someone who LITERALLY WANTS TO DESTROY OUR REPUBLIC. You tell me I don’t know enough about them? How in the FUCK is that not enough to know about them?
They are indeed my sworn enemy. As is anyone who supports overthrowing my country.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I know that they identify as conservative, voted for Trump, and by your statement, would seriously consider doing so again, because gosh darn it, Biden is so bad!
I know everything I need to know. I know that they will choose to support someone who LITERALLY WANTS TO DESTROY OUR REPUBLIC. You tell me I don’t know enough about them? How in the FUCK is that not enough to know about them?
They are indeed my sworn enemy. As is anyone who supports overthrowing my country.

Well, what you don't seem to understand is Hunter Biden had a laptop.   And has a fucking armadillo in his trousers.  

These things call for an investigation.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

But here's the thing: there are a lot of people who love that he says "Exterminate the Jews" out loud.  And they're not going to vote for someone who doesn't say it out loud.

That was the entire reason he won Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan in 2016.  There are a ton of people in those states (and across the country, really, but those states were the ones that were sufficiently close to be decisive) who fucking hate The Jews, hate The Blacks, hate The Gays, hate . . . pretty much any group you could reasonably put the definite article in front of. 

And they never felt like they could participate in American politics.  For them, there are just two parties that are really one (e.g., the "Business Party" or the #uniparty), because neither party is willing to say out loud the things they believe.  So they never voted.  I mean, what's the point, really?  If you fucking hate immigrants, why would you vote for George W. Bush, who talks about immigration reform and creating a path to citizenship?

Trump spoke directly to those people.  He called them "very fine people," and they loved him for it.  They had never voted before in their lives; they voted for him.

But if Trump is not the nominee, and it's someone like DeSantis--i.e., someone who has the sense not to call Nazis "very fine people," then we just go back to the status quo ante.  Why the fuck are these people going to vote for either party, when neither says what they think?  A lot of them will just fade back into the woodwork.  They're still there, shooting up electrical substations in rural North Carolina, mind you.  But you're not going to see them at the ballot box voting for someone like Ron fucking DeSantis.

This is why I don’t buy the ledge argument.  The worst of the worst are close to be stuffed back in a box.  We have other dragons to slay.  But in this case, it’s divide and conquer.  And bet your ass, conquer we will.  Look at the youth vote.  Look at black folks mobilized.  Look at white trash voters getting disenfranchised because of their own, so called leaders, telling them their vote probably isn’t counting.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

It’s not.
One of them, maybe you disagree with his policies.
The other has literally and openly stated his desire to be a dictator, to void the constitution, and spurred on a violent insurrection to decapitate the government.
You don’t get the luxury or latitude of “I just don’t know what I’ll do if those are my choices.”
It’s fucking insane that it’s even a discussion. And for people for whom it IS a discussion/dilemma…fuck them to hell. They are inexcusable and irredeemable.

49 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Lol, when are you going to start voting from the rooftops, Brisket?  Your 1939 eve of Nazification talk is cheap, señor.  Oh, wait.  I forgot.  You just bloviate ad nauseam about our country’s dire straits while bloviating ad nauseam about our country’s dire straits.

For all your apocalyptic predictions, stern prose and ALL CAPS toughness, you sure seem content to just observe and comment.  And comment.  And comment.  By your own words, your country is collapsing, the end is nigh, the brown shirts are knocking at your door.  THE TIME IS NOW.

And yet here you are, posting again.  And again.  And again.  Your time at this time of reckoning isn’t completely wasted, however.  You are good for keeping tensions high amongst this audience.  You are the Tucker Carlson of the Cloak Room, talking of what should be done about conservatives and Republicans using the exact same horrific language far right hate groups use to describe what should be done about blacks, LGBTQ+ members, immigrants and other groups.

Just spit it out.  America needs a final solution to its Republican problem.  That’s what all your posts are alluding to.

You have stared off your ledge into the abyss, and boy has it stared back at you.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Lol, when are you going to start voting from the rooftops, Brisket?  Your 1939 eve of Nazification talk is cheap, señor.  Oh, wait.  I forgot.  You just bloviate ad nauseam about our country’s dire straits while bloviating ad nauseam about our country’s dire straits.

For all your apocalyptic predictions, stern prose and ALL CAPS toughness, you sure seem content to just observe and comment.  And comment.  And comment.  By your own words, your country is collapsing, the end is nigh, the brown shirts are knocking at your door.  THE TIME IS NOW.

And yet here you are, posting again.  And again.  And again.  Your time at this time of reckoning isn’t completely wasted, however.  You are good for keeping tensions high amongst this audience.  You are the Tucker Carlson of the Cloak Room, talking of what should be done about conservatives and Republicans using the exact same horrific language far right hate groups use to describe what should be done about blacks, LGBTQ+ members, immigrants and other groups.

Just spit it out.  America needs a final solution to its Republican problem.  That’s what all your posts are alluding to.

You have stared off your ledge into the abyss, and boy has it stared back at you.

well-there-it-is.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Goredho said:

always accuse your enemy of what you yourself are doing. projection is so hot on twitter right now. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

They’re family, friends, former co-workers, etc. so I do know them, and if they vote for Trump a second time, they’ve crossed a clear line and told us that they are shitty people clearly willing to support somebody who gives no shits about the Constitution.  Anybody supporting him in 2024 does not get to play the “well, he says some things I don’t like, but I don’t like Biden either” card.

But for what it’s worth, I am not certain that Trump will even get the nomination, and even if he does, he’s not winning again. 

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

oh. 

Signs of a man who does not feel confident at all about winning in 2024.  He’s thrown in the towel and preparing his followers for defeat, and will rev up the “donate to me so we can file lawsuits while I’m actually pocketing the money and letting  idiots cover the costs” machine.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Goredho said:

It seems like you have completely forgotten that most of us have people we love who are Republican voters.  However, they are on the wrong side of history at this point.  Continuing to vote for what the Republicans have become means you really don't care that their rhetoric is leading to mass shootings and they want to strip the rights from women, LGBTQ, and minorities.  It is no longer a matter of difference of political opinion, but a matter or right vs wrong and good vs evil.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

Totally agree. The dehumanization of huge swaths of US citizens is a very sad and alarming thing to see by supposed educated people.  This division seems to be exactly what Putin wanted. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

^
Yeah, that's true.  But it never really pivoted the GOP that much.  And Rush and FOX were okay with that because during Clinton and Obama they still made money "exposing the truth about the Democrats!" and during Bush, they still made money "see, I told you it would be better like this!"  

The Trump pivot was the wild one.  They knew it was wrong.  You could see it on their faces, hear it in their voices.  But the undercurrent was exposed.  There was no putting it back in the box.  They had to cater to it.  Say what you want about Rush and FOX, they were dumb, but they at least put on the facade of intelligence, wit, and research.  You could see right through it, but they tried.  Once Trump swooned in, that ruse was over and they blatantly pandered and embraced stupidity.  

For all of Rush and FOX's best efforts, from 1992-2016...we still had relatively split but cordial government.  That's all gone now.  Probably for the rest of our lifetimes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

wanting it to be a more palatable trump doesn't get you off the hook 6 months later when you pull the lever for actual trump.

Oh, and to this point of palatable- the guy the self-described "harmless lil' fuzzball" Rush replaced on Sacramento radio once the former guy's show became too unhinged? The unmitigated batshittery of Morton Downey Jr. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Goredho said:

Nothing.  I'm getting really tired of the leopards asking, even when they aren't members of the Leopard Eating Faces Party asking of everyone who's not a leopard "Why aren't the people whose faces my friends want to eat not understanding of my friends?"

40 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Oh, and to this point of palatable- the guy the self-described "harmless lil' fuzzball" Rush replaced on Sacramento radio once the former guy's show became too unhinged? The unmitigated batshittery of Morton Downey Jr. 

LO fucking L, at the guy who kidnapped migrants as being the palatable version of the GOP.

1 hour ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

I'd argue Rush and Fox News were sowing the resentment that is the MAGA lifeblood since the late 80s/early 90s so it's been more like 30+ years in the making.

The shadow of Nixon still looms large in the modern GOP. People like Dick Cheney, Roger Ailes, and Roger Stone all trace their roots back to that era. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Signs of a man who does not feel confident at all about winning in 2024.  He’s thrown in the towel and preparing his followers for defeat, and will rev up the “donate to me so we can file lawsuits while I’m actually pocketing the money and letting  idiots cover the costs” machine.

He's also damaging his brand which is Winning! Beat the losers!

He now dwells on losing and being a victim. He says nothing new. He comes across as fearful. He's making it easier for some intelligent fascist to ease him out and replace him. I have no idea who that person will be, but I doubt it will be a pure politician. His mob likes outsiders.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I have to tell you--and this is not directed particularly at you--I really hate this phrase and others like it (e.g., "The moral arc of the universe . . .").  It wrongly implies that "history" or "the universe" has some sort of consciousness and is guiding us.  Or, at the very least, it implies that "history" is predetermined toward a more fair, decent, and virtuous future.

And it's just not so.  There's absolutely no reason to believe that history has to flow in that direction.  For long periods of time, it flowed in the exact opposite direction--see, e.g., 476-1400 across Europe and 1400-present across Africa.  And at particular moments, history was really fucking close to going really far in the direction of darkness.  It took Churchill not capitulating in 1940 for the universe to continue its "moral arc."  And history being on the right side of itself depends greatly on Stanislav Petrov deciding "why don't we wait and see if this is an actual NATO first strike."

If we want history to move in the "right" direction, we've got to move it.  MLK talked about the "moral arc of the universe," but he didn't sit back and treat it as certainty; he moved the universe.  And as we sit here today, it's entirely possible that it is we who are on the wrong side of history unless we get off our ass and make sure history bends in our direction and away from Trumpist fascism.

This is way too deep for me considering I still have yet to have a cup of coffee this morning, and have been on calls since 8 AM EST.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

always accuse your enemy of what you yourself are doing. projection is so hot on twitter right now. 

8 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

giphy.gif

You are right, I post a lot, and probably spend more time in this virtual community than is healthy, lol.  I also have at times gotten caught up in the sermons here, echoed them, amplified them, preached a few myself.  Many I still agree with, but I have at least made the attempt to always separate the ire I have for Trump and the hate groups he is the champion of from the individuals who might have fallen under his spell and voted for him -- especially those that show signs of rethinking their positions.  In short, I have tried to hold myself to the same standards of human decency I would hold conservatives to.  To the degree that I failed in that and led others to believe that all conservatives and Republicans are their enemy to be destroyed, I was wrong, and I'm sorry.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

And at particular moments, history was really fucking close to going really far in the direction of darkness.  It took Churchill not capitulating in 1940 for the universe to continue its "moral arc."  And history being on the right side of itself depends greatly on Stanislav Petrov deciding "why don't we wait and see if this is an actual NATO first strike."

Yeah, we should trade some rando holiday for Stanislav Petrov Day. 

9 hours ago, Goredho said:

And yet here you are, posting again.  And again.  And again. 

Endlessly. Mindlessly. 5000-bloviated-words-on-every-page-in-the-fucking-cloakroomlessly.  He is apparently a lawyer, but how is it possible to have any kind of professional life and post the sheer volume of words that he does? It is a relentless, ongoing drone of despair from which there is no escape. It was sort of cute/understandable the first  17,326 times but FUCK  we get it, Brisket. There's not one poster here who doesn't know exactly where you stand and how much certainty you have in your vision of a dark apocalypse.  But what if you are wrong?  You'll have spent your one, tiny GRANTED life screeching to the heavens about something that apparently worried you and that never happened. And what if you are right?  It will happen and no amount of "the end is nigh"  sermonizing will stop it.  I'm on this forum an unhealthy amount but you are on the far end of a very dark spectrum.

Meanwhile there are fish to be caught, beers to be drunk, and briskets to be smoked.  

Carry on my word-vomiting son. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

He's also damaging his brand which is Winning! Beat the losers!

He now dwells on losing and being a victim. He says nothing new. He comes across as fearful. He's making it easier for some intelligent fascist to ease him out and replace him. I have no idea who that person will be, but I doubt it will be a pure politician. His mob likes outsiders.

Desantis is a dour, Nixon-like figure with almost zero charisma.  He's practically a shoe-in. 

• Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

I'd argue Rush and Fox News were sowing the resentment that is the MAGA lifeblood since the late 80s/early 90s so it's been more like 30+ years in the making.

If Ailes and Bill O’Reilly hadn’t been horndogs, and if Ailes and Rush were still alive, those three would be running the media show right now.  Must really piss off O’Reilly that Hannity and Tucker took up the headspace he occupied in the GOP.  Tucker is a lightweight compared to O’Reilly.

Speaking of Hannity, it feels like his star really diminished after Trump left the WH

20 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

So does W.B. Yeats

One year, my high school girlfriend was talking to us about the Thanksgiving meal plan.  She was trying to describe yams, or sweet potatoes, but in her brain, got yams and beets all muddled up, so she asked if we would be serving "yeats."

To this day, we laughingly call sweet potatoes "yeats."

In my defense, she was really cute -- kind of a young Cameron Diaz thing going on.

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement