Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

42 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Thought I read somewhere that the dream school quote was fake, no? Who knows

That was @randomag making up something about making up something.

12 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I think Evans goes aggie. Almost zero chatter from our $9.9ers, A&M is desperate to get a W on the trail (or anywhere else for that matter) right now, he had a previous relationship with the new Dline coach when he was at Florida, and he's been committed to A&M forever. It just doesn't feel right reading the tea leaves.

Reverse psychology. I see you working big guy!

If I believed in conspiracy theories, I would even believe that Texas would float interest in certain commits that they don't want just to make some rubes negotiate against themselves and thereby decrease the war chest for the players you actually covet.  

It only works if you're dealing with simpletons, maybe a competitor that spent an ungodly sum of money to fire a coach and buy players because of what their rival was doing ...

We haven't really been interested in Bussey or McKinley but suddenly we're interested.  LOL.  Then again, for the Aggy on here, I hear Sark covets Bussey as a replacement for Worthy replacement and thinks McKinley can replace Sweat.   I really hope we can get them and heard that a couple BMDs have said that money won't prevent us from getting these guys.  Same with Evans, who they think could be like Suh.  At least, that's what I was told...

Edited by Acropora

Might not be great for development, but holding the Aggies hostage before signing and then repeating one or two times before transferring has been very profitable for their players. I'd like for Texas to sign this kid, but fleecing these morons for all they're worth is something I can respect. I guess it's sort of worked out for the Aggies in the case of Bryce Anderson, but you'd think after their experience with Nolen and "E-Stew" they'd learn their lesson. Whole program reeks of desperation. 

Just now, Fondren & Main said:

I want Evans because he's a great player, but I want him more to shit in the aggies' mouths. 

There was a comment yesterday to the effect that we are aiming to poach Evans, McKinley, and Bussey, and Evans is the key to getting all three. That's some pure recruiting fan fiction, but it sure is entertaining to imagine how aggy would respond.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Gerry’s latest best class scenario includes : Butler, McKinley, D. Evans, and Bussey. 

image.gif.df9aec428d5b1217fcc229c5a76605ad.gif

He's just fucking with everyone at this point.

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby says Trey Moore is not expected to make a decision today

So that leaves us with Butler or Evans for Gerrys tweet

You are underthinking this.

54 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Texas ending up with Bussey in the end would be truly hilarious. "Actually, we've decided we want him now. Thanks." 

Crazier shit has happened. Texas has never been serious about him. If they wanted to be, everyone else involved with going after the guy has pulled the bookshelf on top of themselves at least once.

• Hook 'Em 5

39 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

If Aggie commit Evans signs with A&M, good for him for waiting a couple more days to get more money out of them. 

The Aggies should by a box of these for such occasions:

image.png.cbe4fcd44d2785d9f9972a95095677f8.png

A small box, of course.

ETA:

image.png.5309629810f95c1a58e6f9fbe12ca213.png

Lemme run that through the Rosetta Stone TexAgs Translation Machine

Dealyn is an Aggie through and through. It's another head-to-head win over tu.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby says Trey Moore is not expected to make a decision today

So that leaves us with Butler or Evans for Gerrys tweet

He’s turning into Brandon Harris on twitter. Half the time it’s a basketball commit, the other half it’s a silent that won’t go public for a month and a half 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

Those look almost identical to Garrett Wilson's track times at LT so take it for what it's worth. 

Seriously?  My 5' 7" white boy son took 3rd in District with a PR of 11.2 and couldn't get past the next level (can't remember if it's called "area" or "region").  Aren't most elite WRs mid-10, all-state guys?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Seriously?  My 5' 7" white boy son took 3rd in District with a PR of 11.2 and couldn't get past the next level (can't remember if it's called "area" or "region").  Aren't most elite WRs mid-10, all-state guys?

What do you think Adonai Mitchell runs? The point is posters freaking out about a guy without elite speed. 

Give me a technician over Renaldo Snipes Nehemiah (yes I just dated myself)

• Hook 'Em 2

(Justin Wells) Recruiting Humidor: Texas working to wrap up its 2024 class

Inside Texas assesses the remaining names to know in the 2024 cycle as the Texas Longhorns wrap up another stellar recruiting class in 2024.

Dominick McKinley, DL, Lafayette (La.) Acadiana – Texas A&M commit

Texas wants four defensive linemen in the 2024 class, that hasn’t changed. The highest rated target they’re after is a Pelican State product in McKinley. It appears McKinley will wait until the second signing window and ink with his future school in February. The first signing window closes at the end of the day on Friday.

Here’s what we know: Texas, LSU, and Tennessee are all more likely to sign McKinley than Texas A&M. There’s a sense he doesn’t hold any relationships with the new A&M staff. Texas and Tennessee will try to get him back on campus in January. But watch the hometown LSU Tigers. Brian Kelly and his staff have amped up the communication with the Lafayette native and could make him an offer he can’t refuse. Texas is still in it, but where he goes for visits next month could be the strongest indicator.

Aaron Butler, ATH/WR, Calabasas (Calif.)

The newest name for the 2024 cycle appeared a couple weeks ago when Texas wide receiver coach Chris Jackson stopped by Calabasas to see the four-star California athlete. Butler was down to Arizona and Washington on National Signing Day, but Texas came in with an offer and now has his attention. He’ll decide between the Huskies and Horns on Friday.

Butler recently spoke with Texas signee Ryan Wingo. They played 7v7 over the summer and have forged a solid friendship. Butler fills the spot Aeryn Hampton left in that he’s a strong athlete with the ability to make an impact on either side of the ball. Butler also has been committed to USC and Colorado, so maybe Texas had a type for that scholarship. Also, Butler won’t prevent Texas from continuing to pursue Timpson (Texas) athlete and Texas A&M commit Terry Bussey.

Alex Foster, DL, Greenville (Miss.) St. Joseph’s – Baylor commit

The lowest rated of the D-line targets might be the most talented. The Baylor pledge will wait until February to sign his letter of intent, and that gives Texas more room to maneuver in this recruitment, Foster took an official visit to Austin the weekend before NSD and absolutely loved it. He told Inside Texas that he plans to host Steve Sarkisian for an in-home in January. Foster’s frame, disposition, and upside are too alluring for the Longhorns to ignore, and his potential as a T’Vondre Sweat sequel is a scary good evaluation.

Dealyn Evans, DL, Longview (Texas) Pine Tree – Texas A&M commit

The jumbo athlete has been having fun during the early signing window, maybe too much fun. Honestly, IT would be very surprised if Evans inks with Texas. We are not surprised about how he’s going about the process during this final stretch. Best guess: Texas A&M. And be grateful.

7 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

What do you think Adonai Mitchell runs? The point is posters freaking out about a guy without elite speed. 

OK, I dug around a bit.  Looks like Wilson has elite burst (4.37 40) but maybe doesn't have elite top end speed.  He long jumped over 2 feet farther than my kid.

I'd certainly rather have acceleration over top speed in most receivers.  No idea where this Texas target stands in that regard.

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Butler only ran in one meet. I think it's unlikely he took track seriously.

For reference here are some other guys' PRs: Matthew Golden 11.25, Xavier Worthy 10.55, Evan Stewart 10.58, Ryan Wingo 10.67, London Humphreys 10.66. Even the guys with faster times have some runs in the 11s early in the season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, I dug around a bit.  Looks like Wilson has elite burst (4.37 40) but maybe doesn't have elite top end speed.  He long jumped over 2 feet farther than my kid.

I'd certainly rather have acceleration over top speed in most receivers.  No idea where this Texas target stands in that regard.

Who is Wilson?

I'm so glad we got some great players but I can't bear to listen to the $9.95's rave on and on about each player like they're the greatest of all time. A quarter of them will never see the field and quit or portal. Half of them will see limited time as roll players and get replaced by newer players. A quarter will be major contributors and a couple will be true stars.

Also, I heard that 60% of players who enter the portal never find a new home! Is this correct?     

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wilson ran 4.63 at the opening as a junior or so, ripped off that 4.37 at the NFL combine. Some of my friends up there said he was immediately one of the most explosive guys on the team the minute he stepped foot in Columbus. They tend to overrate their own guys, but that was the sentiment shared. He's got short range burst and long speed.

HS/camp times aren't the end all be all

For me, Texas and Washington both seem to know what they're doing with WR evaluations. As such, you have to feel good about Butler as a prospect. That said, the guy hasn't visited and Texas has been talking to him for like two weeks. Surely he picks UW, right?

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

(Justin Wells) Recruiting Humidor: Texas working to wrap up its 2024 class

These guys don't know shit. Nahlin's one source on Evans thinks he's the only person involved with NIL for Texas. 

The view Wells espouses on McKinley reflects a failure to grasp what has transpired in McKinley's recruitment. ATM wasn't a serious player previously, and then they landed him.

Oklahoma's Bates was whispering the mother sweet nothings about how he'd handle her son's development with Godly kid gloves. Robinson picked up on that and also used the fact that College Station is 300 miles closer to Lafayette and ATM was the pick. Then NIL was discussed in detail and the McKinleys liked where things sat.

Someone is going to have to trump a significant NIL position, assure the mom that her boy is going to be handled and developed gently and warmly, and then get the player comfortable. There is nothing saying Spencer can't do that for ATM as well as anyone else when it is all said and done. 

Now, Elko being handed a smaller than expected budget and repurposing the NIL promises made to key recruits for roster retention and the portal may honestly be the death knell for ATM in this recruitment if someone else steps up with something akin to what they were first promised.

Who wants to bet who the biggest starfucker will be here? It isn't Bo Davis. Is it Sarkisian? Maybe, but I don't believe that. Is it the ATM backers? Not a bad bet. Tennessee is interested in being flashy, but Heupel also seems like he knows what he's doing and they do not run a soft program. McKinley and Co. have had every possible chance to pick broke-ass LSU and they have not. Why is OU completely ruled out? I know they blew out their budget in NIL but surely some O&G idiot can dig around under their coach and help out, right? 

I stick with ATM for February for McKinley, but that shit could change on a dime, if you will, if someone else wants to get serious. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, TreatyOak said:

I'm so glad we got some great players but I can't bear to listen to the $9.95's rave on and on about each player like they're the greatest of all time. A quarter of them will never see the field and quit or portal. Half of them will see limited time as roll players and get replaced by newer players. A quarter will be major contributors and a couple will be true stars.

Also, I heard that 60% of players who enter the portal never find a new home! Is this correct?     

Welcome to recruiting! Might not be your cup of tea, though.

The 60% number is disinformation inflation. That includes walk-ons and lower division players testing the waters with bigger programs. It also includes guys fishing for interest as grad transfers who simply aren't compelling prospects who move on with their degree and life into something different rather than getting one more shot somewhere. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Wilson ran 4.63 at the opening as a junior or so, ripped off that 4.37 at the NFL combine. Some of my friends up there said he was immediately one of the most explosive guys on the team the minute he stepped foot in Columbus. They tend to overrate their own guys, but that was the sentiment shared. He's got short range burst and long speed.

HS/camp times aren't the end all be all

Peep my avy, knew that kid was the truth since his Lake Travis days 

• Fuck You 4

I guess one question to answer is what is the delta the staff sees between foster and the two aggy guys?  Would they just as soon focus there and get that done?  Or are they trying to keep him available as a backup position in case neither of the others two materialize?  Do we have any suspicions on this?

24 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

You can still follow recruiting yet take what's written and said with a grain of salt and apply the filter of experience to what you consume.   You are also free to evaluate players yourself.  It's not by accident that a relative low point of optimism around here was when in the space of two years Dobbins, Wilson, Okudah, and Ewers all chose to go ~100x farther for college than they could have.   

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

And a very Merry Christmas to you, Mr. Scrooge!

0843190c-2b48-42ee-8fc8-3deceab9bbd4_tex

I see our resident pedant, @Napoleon, is running a bit behind, so I’ll fill in…*role.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, ASDFASDF said:

I'm lost

It’s stupid number shit that Jason Higdon used to post as supposed hints to recruiting. It pops up every now and then whenever some $9.95ers reminds someone of it. Posters then feel obligated to make 20 posts of random numbers while, I assume, just howling about it behind their keyboard. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

It’s stupid number shit that Jason Higdon used to post as supposed hints to recruiting. It pops up every now and then whenever some $9.95ers reminds someone of it. Posters then feel obligated to make 20 posts of random numbers while, I assume, just howling about it behind their keyboard. 

smile-turn-away.gif

• Haha 8