Urban Meyer to Jacksonville Jaguars

Vic Mackey

50 minutes ago, Bravo said:

I'd still take him over Sark. 

Today? No fucking way I do.

12 minutes ago, nnm said:

Yup. I’m no Urban fan, but if you think the BMDs aren’t thinking about him after a home loss to freaking Kansas, you’re high. 

Not a fucking chance.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

What if Ryan Day takes a NFL gig? The OSU fanbase would take him back in a fucking fraction of a second. I think for all the school admin/AD said and did, he remained on and taught a fucking ethics class at the university so they didn't really want him gone gone.

There's a reason they ran him off the first time

33 minutes ago, nnm said:

Yup. I’m no Urban fan, but if you think the BMDs aren’t thinking about him after a home loss to freaking Kansas, you’re high. 

Oh, I was referring to your persistence in making that same comment over and over and over again.

No one is thinking about Meyer unless they’re an abject moron. So you might actually have a point about some of our BMDs.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

its kind of what I keep telling my kid.  being on time/paying attention(don't fall asleep in meetings) is half the fucking battle, don't be an idiot(know your stuff) is about 30% and the last 20% is luck so just do the first 80% and hope the other 20% falls your way.

yeah, my dad had a saying that showing up on time gets half the job done by itself.

14 hours ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Urban Meyer joins a long list of names like Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino to name a few.  There are certainly exceptions (Jimmy Johnson comes to mind)…

…also Barry Switzer

I’m kidding! I’m kidding!

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Urbs by either Griffin or Lawrence.  Without saying he's a bipolar asshole, they are saying he's a bipolar asshole.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32884789/jacksonville-jaguars-qb-trevor-lawrence-says-coaching-change-gives-locker-room-focus

After 11 months of missteps, mistakes, embarrassing moments, anonymous reports of strife within the coaching staff and between head coach Urban Meyer and players, the Jacksonville Jaguars just want a little peace and quiet for the rest of the year.

That's why quarterback Trevor Lawrence and cornerback Shaq Griffin are happy that the team named offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell as the interim head coach after firing Meyer early Thursday morning. Bevell is the perfect antidote to the chaos that has gripped the franchise almost since the moment Meyer was hired in January.

"He's very even keel," Lawrence said of Bevell, who also served as the Detroit Lions' interim head coach for the final five games of the 2020 season. "Always the same person never gets too high or too low. That's something that I respect and that I can level with.

"So I'd say that's the biggest thing that we need right now. Someone that's consistent and just to move forward and push past it."

13 hours ago, C-Man said:

I was listening to The Ticket yesterday and they were talking about the differences between Barry and Jimmy. I forget the context because Urban hadn't been fired yet, maybe they were talking about the differences in college and the NFL. At any rate, I'd heard this before but one of the guys said the difference in style from Jimmy to Barry was that Barry treated the players like men. Jimmy belittled them and rode them hard, which worked with his young roster. It was not going to work forever. I find that an interesting take.

I like to think of Swiitzer as a colossal boob but he was a good fit for that Cowboys team at that time and I think that group of players got the same number of rings with the Jimmy-Barry tandem as they would've if Jimmy hadn't divorced Jerry after the second SB. In other words, the Cowboys would NOT have won four in a row. They might've won that third one under Jimmy but it wouldn't have gotten the fourth.

All that said, Jimmy built that juggernaut. Switzer never would've pulled that off.

What idiot on the ticket said that? Aikman has come out and said Barry not being willing to keep the team in line put him in the impossible position of having to be the QB and the bad cop for every guy on the team. Switzer was about the worst thing that could have happened to that team. He was gifted a talent advantage over everyone along with a proven champion QB in his prime coming off 2 SB wins and showed up and fucked off to collect a check. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rM1qBY-qmJw

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah. Switzer is the reason that core group won one more SB instead of two or three more. Hell, when coming under fire for being a boob, he let assistant John Blake try to turn the locker against his QB, to misdirect blame. 
There is a reason Switzer’s name never came up for another job. He’s happy to hang around f’ing OKC and let those yokels Pat him on the back and that’s the only place in the world that will celebrate him. 

Edited by statsman

8 hours ago, Macanudo said:

You're an idiot. 

This is true. Yes, I am an idiot, evidenced by (checks profile) almost 3,000 posts on this site.  I can provide ample additional evidence proving your point. 

But with Urban on the market, Sark’s seat got 100% hotter.

Two things can be true at the same time. 

Yeah. Switzer is the reason that core group won one more SB instead of two or three more. Hell, when coming under fire for being a boob, he let assistant John Blake try to turn the locker against his QB, to misdirect blame. 
There is a reason Switzer’s name never came up for another job. He’s happy to hang around f’ing OKC and let those yokels Pat him on the back and that’s the only place in the world that will celebrate him. 

To be fair, Switzer lives in Norman. On campus.

1 hour ago, statsman said:

Again, I just don't think that group had more than the third that Switzer got (or Jimmy was likely to get). There were other championship-level teams in the NFC and the salary cap era was underway. The Niners were a great team led by a HOF QB in Steve Young and Brett Favre was turning into his MVP-level self. Over in the AFC, Shanahan's Broncos took big steps forward as the Cowboys started aging out. The Cowboys won three. Might they have won four? Perhaps. But I don't think that core was winning any more than that.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Hermanator said:

What idiot on the ticket said that? Aikman has come out and said Barry not being willing to keep the team in line put him in the impossible position of having to be the QB and the bad cop for every guy on the team. Switzer was about the worst thing that could have happened to that team. He was gifted a talent advantage over everyone along with a proven champion QB in his prime coming off 2 SB wins and showed up and fucked off to collect a check. 

I ended up with a Dallas Cowboy as a neighbor at that time. He was a rookie in Jimmy's last year, and they would usually have a party on Monday night ( I assumed to watch MNF). Seemed like the party would knock off sometime around midnight to 1:00 AM (at least that was when you'd hear a bunch of cars cranking up and driving away).

About 3 weeks after Barry hits town, the dynamic changes. The parties were multiple times a week and most of the time they are still at it when I'd get up for a morning run or going to work.

I found it pretty amusing how quickly the partying changed. I knew the play on the field would reflect the off field difference over time, I was a little surprised how long they kept it together. Must have been the "Aikman effect". 

• Hook 'Em 4

12 hours ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

Awesome.

How could anyone not have wanted this guy as head coach at UT.

And remember, there were people insisting he not only needed to be hired but put solely and completely in charge of all aspects of UT football, reporting not to the AD but directly to the university president.

13 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Awesome.

How could anyone not have wanted this guy as head coach at UT.

And remember, there were people insisting he not only needed to be hired but put solely and completely in charge of all aspects of UT football, reporting not to the AD but directly to the university president.

RD: we have a flawed hiring process where the idiot boosters get whatever they want and we end up with 5-7 Sark!

Also RD: imagine if all the idiot boosters had gotten their way and we'd hired Urban Meyer's sleazy ass!

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

RD: we have a flawed hiring process where the idiot boosters get whatever they want and we end up with 5-7 Sark!

Also RD: imagine if all the idiot boosters had gotten their way and we'd hired Urban Meyer's sleazy ass!

I mean... Both points are valid

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

How do they negate each other? The reason they didn’t get Meyer is because he said no. Sark was plan B.

In both cases, the BMDs were driving it all.

Didn't he say no because the admin wouldn't give him everything he wanted with total control? Something the boosters would have easily said yes to?

2 hours ago, nnm said:

But with Urban on the market, Sark’s seat got 100% hotter.

Two things can be true at the same time. 

Yes! Now guess which two of the quoted three claims are true. And I'm already telling you what one of them is. 😁

Edited by Rimbo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

We avoided the shitshow because Urban turned us down, not because someone pulled their head out of their ass and decided to pass on Urban. The idiot UT Regent and boosters thankfully lacked the ability to force Urban to accede to their demands.

I'm not sure how you missed that.

29 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I'm curious, since the NCAA defines you as a booster if you have donated or bought season tickets for any sport did that make me an "idiot booster" or is there some threshold within the Longhorn foundation (top 10%?) or some monetary limit (half a million, a million?) where you automatically become an idiot? 

Perhaps the real idiots call others names on message boards and don't have the financial wherewithal or generosity to donate. Besides, isn't it the cry of keyboard warriors that ALL of the donors inherited their wealth. No chance they were smart enough and hard working enough to become donors. 

Someone on here pointed out that WVU's stadium looked inferior to a number of H.S. stadiums in Texas, that's what you get without "idiot donors".

2 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

We avoided the shitshow because Urban turned us down, not because someone pulled their head out of their ass and decided to pass on Urban. The idiot UT Regent and boosters thankfully lacked the ability to force Urban to accede to their demands.

Would that shitshow that we avoided have included a 6-game losing streak, a losing record, and home loss to Kansas? 

Apparently it's another shitshow you're happy was avoided.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Avoided what shitshow?  I'm no CUM fan but I think it's intellectually lazy to assume the outcomes in Jacksonville would have had similar occurences here.

5 hours ago, Frank Gallagher said:

Avoided what shitshow?  I'm no CUM fan but I think it's intellectually lazy to assume the outcomes in Jacksonville would have had similar occurences here.

Exactly. Most college coaches, especially the really successful ones, are pieces of shit. They can get away with it because they are successful and because those players are treated like cattle, unlike the NFL. You can't get away with doing that shit and being a 2 win team. Had he had his team with a great record, none of this shit is even talked about. The way of life. Successful people get away with more. Same as at UT when players were getting arrested left and right under Mack. They were successful so no one cared much. They started losing and now all of a sudden it's an issue. Jimmy Johnson treated so many Dallas players like shit. Just as bad or worsr than Urban. But they were winning so it was fine. You lose, any little thing will be magnified. It's baffling how any UT fan points to how this went down and feels relieved we did not get Urban.

And I'm not sure losing out on a great college coach in Urban for shit ass Sark is avoiding any shitshow. Sark himself is a shitshow. Urban going to a 1 win Jacksonville team was never going to work out. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Again, it's not that it simply "didn't work out". It's that his entire fucking team and coaching staff publicly quit on him and he was a shitshow in historical fashion, leading to him being the fastest coach ever fired. Ever. Think about that.

yeah he done at every level. He's radioactive.

• Hook 'Em 3

53 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I laughed at the idea someone would hire him to do TV which is all about perception. Negative ghost rider/ the pattern is full. 

Yeah, ESPN finally allowing their talking heads to lay into him is a pretty clear sign. They always treated him with kid gloves for his college transgressions because they hoped that he would come back to them during one of his "health and family" sabbaticals from coaching.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, Frank Gallagher said:

Similar on the field? Probably not. Similar in terms of scandal? That’s how it always ends with him-see OSU, Florida. Intellectually lazy is assuming we’d be the exception.