ERCOT, PUC, and deregulation got us here

cactusflinthead

Doug Lewin. He's a good follow.

Meanwhile, Solar and wind were providing 40% of the state’s power earlier today. I’m so glad our legislature will no doubt double down on their efforts to kneecap these energy sources.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

dumb question amnesty: according to that tweet above renewables supplied about ~17% of the demand. Does that account for residential solar? How do metrics like this factor in energy being put into the grid from rooftop solar or even if that energy is collected and stored? Is that just taken out of the demand number? Seems like 17% is way low.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Feds are going to save Texas from itself …..

Texas politicians have long-resisted this move, worrying it would give the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission more oversight.

Oh noes!  We might not be able to fuck over the citizenry and enrich ourselves as much!  The horror!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 6/19/2023 at 5:11 PM, SydneyCarton said:

I understand all that. I’m simply saying Texas will never have a 100% wind and solar grid. Maybe late in my lifetime IF politics didn’t get in the way, and we know the odds of that. We need natural gas plants, or nuclear. It won’t be just renewable is all Im saying, until battery tech improves quite a bit more. 

Nuclear and industrial  storage capacity for green energy are the answer. We are close to 100% renewables / green / clean if we find the political will. 

• Hook 'Em 1

ERCOT has had thermal outages in aggregate at or above modeled expectations for weeks now.  Today specifically, wind production is materially lower (but this was seen in the forecast days ago) and its exceptionally hot today.  An unfortunate mix.  

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

ERCOT's communication is like...outside of the top 10 things I'd list as problems. 

The problem is the legislature. 

Problem is that ERCOT's communication helps cover for the legislature fuckery. If ERCOT put out more honest info, etc., most people still wouldn't care, but at least some would raise an eyebrow.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Problem is that ERCOT's communication helps cover for the legislature fuckery. If ERCOT put out more honest info, etc., most people still wouldn't care, but at least some would raise an eyebrow.

No they wouldn’t. but it’s a moot point, ERCOT board is appointed by the PUC. Who appoints the PUC? 

I’ll save you the time it’s the governor and the senate. 

Now, see my previous post. 

• Rage+1 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2023 at 9:53 AM, pacman said:

For the record, we haven't seen it yet, but the Farmer's and other almanacs and forecasting have predicted a harsh winter. We'll see. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

For the record, we haven't seen it yet, but the Farmer's and other almanacs and forecasting have predicted a harsh winter. We'll see. 

I've never understood why anyone takes the Farmer's Almanac seriously.  I thought it was just a novelty.

Per wiki:

Accuracy[edit]

Publishers claim that "many longtime Almanac followers claim that their forecasts are 80% to 85% accurate" on their website. Their website also contains a list of the many more "famous" weather predictions they have accurately forewarned of and like to point out that they have been predicting the weather longer than the National Weather Service.

Most scientific analyses of the accuracy of Farmers' Almanac forecasts have shown a 50% rate of accuracy,[4][5] which is higher than that of groundhog prognostication, a folklore method of forecasting.[6] USA Today states that "according to numerous media analyses neither the Old Farmer's Almanac nor the Farmers' Almanac gets it right".[7]

6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

My neighbor disconnected his hose and put the insulation cover over his outdoor faucet, I noticed. My suspensions are risen, given that I consume zero weather news or content.

On 11/20/2023 at 12:59 PM, SydneyCarton said:

I just had a cup of Turkish coffee and the coffee grounds told me that the Farmer's Almanac is full of it. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...