Jump to content

ERCOT, PUC, and deregulation got us here


cactusflinthead

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, JohnLocke said:

Believe what you want to believe, I really don't care.  Do you really expect an Ercot official to say "Well, shit, the problem is in our power mix. I think we overdid it on cutting back on coal and nuclear."   You notice that while the article noted that wind production was down 60% from last week, we got no such quantification on the "problems" with coal and nuclear"  Wind has gone to shit this week, and we can't get enough natural gas. Once again, it's not complicated.

well shit, the problem is with the fundamental structure of our entire business model.  we keep our jobs because we answer to the governor and legislature who have been bankrolling their monopoly on power (theirs, yours) for 30 years through the campaign funding of their war on government.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Wrong.  Plants of all types are having instrumentation freezes.  Are you really this stupid?

I don't know, you all seem to be documenting what I'm saying just fine.

 

Meanwhile, >30 GW of fossil plants, mostly natural gas, went down.  From Hayden's article  (I'm pretty sure if there were any major issues with coal, it would be the number 1 highlight.)

(From the Bloomberg article) That doesn’t mean that frozen turbines are playing no role in the energy crisis, which the grid operator has highlighted. Cody Moore, head of gas and power trading at Mercuria Energy America, noted that wind generation this week is down markedly this week from last week, possibly indicating that turbines are automatically shutting down due to ice.

‚ÄúWe are seeing wind generation down 60% week-over-week,‚ÄĚ said Matt Hoza, manager of energy analysis at BTU Analytics¬†¬† (From the Bloomberg article.)

And Kudos to Sidis. I look forward to seeing the real numbers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

this needs to be memorialized before he wipes it

+++

Greg Abbott

@GregAbbott_TX

The Texas power grid has not been compromised. The ability of some companies that generate the power has been frozen. This includes the natural gas & coal generators. They are working to get generation back on line. ERCOT & PUC are prioritizing residential consumers.

+++

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

either you are a fucking moron or a liar, either way you earned a rare cr neg rep for this one. do better

Stop feeding the troll.  The chances industry trolls show up on these boards to gin people up increases with each passing hour.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wind for sure in not to blame for this crisis, but by focusing new generation on wind and solar, this is one of the trade-offs.  Wind and solar are the future and are starting to produce sizable amounts of energy 40%+ on days for ERCOT, 60%+ days on SPP.  But until utility grade storage capable of storing said energy is available in mass (they are doing just such) here we are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Pacific NW went through this, kinda, during the summer of 2001 when Enron started pulling CA power plants off line. A spike in the spot price of electricity caused all sorts of shifting around of power and load that wasn’t under long term contract. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, JohnLocke said:

Believe what you want to believe, I really don't care.  Do you really expect an Ercot official to say "Well, shit, the problem is in our power mix. I think we overdid it on cutting back on coal and nuclear."   You notice that while the article noted that wind production was down 60% from last week, we got no such quantification on the "problems" with coal and nuclear"  Wind has gone to shit this week, and we can't get enough natural gas. Once again, it's not complicated.

Fossil fuels plants have extensive cooling systems. What substance do you use for cooling? And what normally happens to that substance when the temperature hits 32 F (0 C)?

If you really don't care, why don't you fuck right off and join TexAgs. That board caters to people of your intellect. 

  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

either you are a fucking moron or a liar, either way you earned a rare cr neg rep for this one. do better


 

 

40 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

what are your sources for your claims?

obviously he does his own research 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

And if you come in here trying to blame this fiasco on "the Libs" because that what you heard from Tucker or anyone else in conservative media, you are part of the problem.

Most outside the Fox News silo fail to grasp the enormity and reach of that propaganda machine. You have to consume it first-hand to understand how much of the population is brainwashed every.damn.day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, washparkhorn said:

Most outside the Fox News silo fail to grasp the enormity and reach of that propaganda machine. You have to consume it first-hand to understand how much of the population is brainwashed every.damn.day.

Oh, I know it.  I mix in some Fox News (along with CNN, MSNBC, Reuters, and BBC).  One of them stands out dramatically from the others.  If I were a fucking moron, I'd probably fall for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

this needs to be memorialized before he wipes it

+++

Greg Abbott

@GregAbbott_TX

The Texas power grid has not been compromised. The ability of some companies that generate the power has been frozen. This includes the natural gas & coal generators. They are working to get generation back on line. ERCOT & PUC are prioritizing residential consumers.

+++

 

JohnLocke's personal God and savior just contradicted his claim about coal. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

 

 

no that's not what happened.  that market price isn't what's being charged the end user, it's what the energy provider has to pay to purchase energy to make up for their own shortfall they have to deliver to their customers.

 

here's a thread from the replies which does a decent job of explaining.

Quote

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

So is the governor going to hold a press conference or something?  Seems like a good opportunity to inform the public on the situation.

Why would he do that when he can just rely on Fox to tell the good people of Texas who to blame:

Image

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Abbott is going to go into an election having overseen the ERCOT/PUC mess, spent four years on his knees for Trump, going against public opinion on mask mandates, Texas being among the worst per capita vaccination states, and loudly opposing popular stimulus/relief policy out of the Biden administration.

And he will win comfortably.

If he loses it will be in the primary to a Trumplican/Qanon candidate further right and radicalized than him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t know anything about the energy industry or have much of an understanding of this situation but I have very strong opinions that coincidentally align with my political views on a small handful of unrelated social issues.

Also, all energy matters.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

no that's not what happened.  that market price isn't what's being charged the end user, it's what the energy provider has to pay to purchase energy to make up for their own shortfall they have to deliver to their customers.

 

21 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I tweeted at both of them.

Hook 'em. Thanks for fact checking.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

EuXyr-oUUAESLxb?format=jpg&name=large
 

This is supposedly the mayor of Colorado City, Texas.  Subsequently deleted though. 

Probably deleted because his power went out and now he’s busy tearfully screaming at Oncor about how they’re killing his family and he’s going to sue. And also because he is trying to figure out how to set up a GoFundMe.

Edited by longhornmatt
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

EuXyr-oUUAESLxb?format=jpg&name=large
 

This is supposedly the mayor of Colorado City, Texas.  Subsequently deleted though. 

What a moron.  It is like he doesn't realize that you have a contract with your energy providor.  They actually do have to provide energy to you.  However, in this case, which would probably be declared force majeure, since them not delivering energy is outside of their control, it doesn't really mean much.

I hate stupid people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

EuXyr-oUUAESLxb?format=jpg&name=large
 

This is supposedly the mayor of Colorado City, Texas.  Subsequently deleted though. 

Can someone explain to this lazy person how one ‚Äúgets off their ass‚ÄĚ ¬†in 15 degree temperatures,¬†and with grocery stores bare, and¬†supplies their family with abundant, clean potable¬†water to their family without heat or electricity?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...