NYC vs the Trump Crime Family Watch Thread

PenelopeWitherspoon

I don’t even think his loans are that massive. But it’s a very high profile case. If they don’t investigate a company that is exposed publicly for cooking the books, aren’t they kind of signaling something?

But yeah, I agree, I don’t think the lenders will be sued for breach of fiduciary duty 

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

So what’s the deal here? Y’all are holding out hope that Trump himself faces criminal charges? 

He won't.  There's a reason why he avoided using computers, avoided email.  While many will argue that he was just too much of a computer illiterate dumbass to use them, I think you could make a good case that he knew that stuff could be tracked easily.

Guest Lobo

Hmmmm, collect my points on a defunct loan or get tortured to death on camera for my family to see by Russia?  Tough call. 

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
13 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:
Can’t he file for bankruptcy again and then be protected from all his creditors ?

That also likely violates his loan covenants.

And, bankruptcy protection is only temporary (halt foreclosure), and will not stop a foreclosure unless the bank is willing to settle.  Secured creditors get their collateral in bankruptcy if they want it.

As much as we tend to think to the contrary, bankruptcies rarely let debtors just skate.

And, this would be the ultimate humiliation for Trump.  Not just a project bankruptcy, but the core organization or something close to it.

The other complication is that the borrower on the loans is probably not the Trump Organization, but some special-purpose entity.  One might think that the covenants might cover related entities, but maybe not.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I love that Donny Jr. is saying this is now.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/01/trump-jr-blasts-indictment-as-banana-republic-stuff/

Donny Jr. needs to do less coke and shut the fuck up.  

As usual, Don Jr really nails it.  I remember fondly the hallowed days of letting Saudi princes murder meddlesome journalists in exchange for loans for the family businesses.

Edited by kevwun

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Do you really think he’s done nothing wrong?  Does it not bother you that he’s an OBVIOUS criminal?

Oh I’m sure he has. But when are truly powerful people held accountable? Almost never. Y’all are just wasting ATP on this thread. 

• Fuck You 5

10 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Oh I’m sure he has. But when are truly powerful people held accountable? Almost never. Y’all are just wasting ATP on this thread. 

I think 45 was powerful when he was president. He's nobody now and owes a lot of people money. His ability to play the "rich and powerful" card diminishes every day.

20 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

This is the Surl, we require something after "me" and before the period. I would have gone with "don't patronize me you fucking jagoff." 

Yeah I don't know who the fuck he thinks he is. "You're adorable." What the fuck.

I think this will be an interesting test run of sorts on Trump Org with these charges against Weisselberg. Attorney General James said yesterday that this is just the beginning of the charges they are bringing forward in conjunction with the Manhattan DA’s office.

Where I stand on this is fairly simple. While putting Trump in jail would make millions of people happy that he finally received his comeuppance for a lifetime spent swindling and stealing from literally millions of people, the biggest thing she can do is completely bleed the Trump Organization completely dry financially. If you want to see actual justice delivered you will want to see James pushing to take everything that Trump has in New York. Take his name off of any buildings as well as that park on the Taconic Parkway that has his name in big letters. If she plays it right she can quite literally take every single thing he has here and erase the entire family’s financial existence in this state. I think her goal is more along these lines and not the get him in an orange jumpsuit hopes. If you are wanting to see Trump lose the three functioning brain cells he has left this is what you should be wanting to see transpire. The uncontrollable narcissism would crank up to a level he hasn’t even been to yet.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I think this will be an interesting test run of sorts on Trump Org with these charges against Weisselberg. Attorney General James said yesterday that this is just the beginning of the charges they are bringing forward in conjunction with the Manhattan DA’s office.
Where I stand on this is fairly simple. While putting Trump in jail would make millions of people happy that he finally received his comeuppance for a lifetime spent swindling and stealing from literally millions of people, the biggest thing she can do is completely bleed the Trump Organization completely dry financially. If you want to see actual justice delivered you will want to see James pushing to take everything that Trump has in New York. Take his name off of any buildings as well as that park on the Taconic Parkway that has his name in big letters. If she plays it right she can quite literally take every single thing he has here and erase the entire family’s financial existence in this state. I think her goal is more along these lines and not the get him in an orange jumpsuit hopes. If you are wanting to see Trump lose the three functioning brain cells he has left this is what you should be wanting to see transpire. The uncontrollable narcissism would crank up to a level he hasn’t even been to yet.

This.

Remembe4, as Billy Ray Valentine once said…

“You know, it occurs to me that the best way you hurt rich people is by turning them into poor people.”
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

21 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Might have been a good idea to read the Atlantic link TwiceHorn posted.

This time, though, Trump is not claiming that “all taxes were paid” or that “it was a perfect tax return.” He’s readying his supporters for bad revelations about his company’s taxes and directing them to a fallback line that singling him out as a tax scofflaw is politically unfair.

That line of defense may well rally Trump’s supporters. It will not do him much good in court. It’s impossible for tax collectors to scrutinize every return. Selecting high-profile evaders and holding them to account is how tax laws are enforced. And if a former president numbers among those high-profile evaders, that makes the case for targeting him stronger, not weaker. It sends the message that the tax authorities most want to send: Everybody has to pay, especially powerful politicians. In 1974, former President Richard Nixon faced a review of his taxes that ultimately presented him with a bill equal to half his net worth at the time. Members of Congress have faced indictment for tax evasion, as have high-profile state and local officials.

Or just keep blithering.

11 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

No Trump will ever be “poor”.  Wishful thinking.

Perhaps. But they aren't the Rothschilds or Cabots. They are new money built on Fred being a crafty slumlord in a then exploding market. The Trump version of "rich" is a wisp of wind, and will be gone as quickly as it came. The fortune built by Donald's grandpa and slumlord pappy took decades of hard work and intelligence, but second son Donald pissed it all away and erected a tacky, overly-gilded castle built on secured creditor sand. The idiot grandchildren are dancing on the top floor of a cocaine cowboy era Florida condo with only Ivanka aware she might want to find a new residence. Do you really think Junior and Eric would be able to do anything but cash checks from OAN and CPAC? When daddy dies, so does the money train beyond occasional gigs at an Alabama VFW.  Perhaps it's wishful thinking, perhaps it's a learned opinion based on history and human nature. Forever is a mighty long time and the Trump "fortune" ain't even out of the womb.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Can we have all this and then he goes to jail?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Whole family admitting to tax evasion and tax fraud. They are using the "everybody does it"  defense.  Apparently, paying for you grandchildren's schooling means you don't have to pay taxes.  Watching Jr. it appears he is higher than a kite.  I'm talking a Tony Montana amount of blow just before coming out.

Guest Lobo

I know private school is really expensive.  I know I can't afford to send my kids to private school even though I'd probably prefer it.  

But what does that say about the financial health of a company if it's #2/#3 person, the Executive VP/COO can't afford to pay for private school and needs a 'tax-exempt' gift from the CEO/President in order to cover a $100k bill?  

That whole family is just one big paper tiger.  Actually, more of a paper cat.  

Guest Lobo
10 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Trump's grandkids' education fund is tied up in the "fix the grounded 757" fund. It's 4-D economic chess. 

We will know the simulation has reached its epoch when photos are revealed of the Trump Family stair car parked next to the grounded 757 that's missing one engine.  

"There's always money in the Steak Stand"  

Whole family admitting to tax evasion and tax fraud. They are using the "everybody does it"  defense.  Apparently, paying for you grandchildren's schooling means you don't have to pay taxes.  Watching Jr. it appears he is higher than a kite.  I'm talking a Tony Montana amount of blow just before coming out.

[/url]

He was just joking people. That’s merely locker room accounting talk. No reasonable person would take that as the truth. - Sidney Powell and (insert name of sycophant here)

The oddball thing is, or maybe it isn't odd at all, is this is blatant and not very sophisticated tax evasion.

That these things were taxable income to Weisselberg is pretty much beyond dispute.  That both he and the employer should have reported them as income, same.  There's really just no excuse or avoidance that is apparent to me.

This is pretty much a slam dunk as far as I can tell.  The amounts aren't particularly massive, but it would seem to be highly intentional.  

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

^

Yeah, I don't know the details, or tax law, or how posting on federal holidays works.  But this does seem like really lazy tax evasion.  Like they weren't even trying to be clever.  It reminds me of years ago when bunch of people at Oprah's show got "free" Pontiac cars.  And a bunch of them got in trouble for not paying taxes on the cars and all claimed the same, unsophisticated, dumbass response like the Blues Brothers at Bob's, "Uh, like we just thought it was all free 'n stuff."  I laughed at those idiots but they were uneducated people with spare time at 3:00pm on a Wednesday.  This is extraordinarily similar tax fraud, but committed by the CFO of a major corporation.  I'm a little rusty on my MBA studies, but doesn't that stand for Chief Financial Officer?  I guess it's now a truncated acronym for Chief Fuck around find Out...

There is no grey area here, and it is not the sort of thing that anyone who works in tax/benefits would miss or confuse as being non-taxable.  If companies don't intend to sell or raise money (and thus, undergo diligence), they'll sometimes take aggressive tax positions banking on the risk of audit being low, but this isn't "aggressive" - it's just straight up illegal.  The statute of limitations (e.g., how far they can go back and assert tax) is typically 3 years, except in cases of a substantial understatement of income, in which case it is 6 years.  If fraud is proven, I think it is unlimited?

• Hook 'Em 1