Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

A single booster just pledged millions of dollars to hire industry experts and professionals whos sole purpose it is to find deals and get Oregon payers paid. A professional staff without the intent to make a profit as a business solely to find money for Oregon players. That’s their full time, high paid jobs. 

Imagine a professional fund raiser at a charity or non profit with the sole purpose to get money to players, with a billionaire backing it and not giving a fuck about making money. It’s a game changer. 

Then shit yeah that'll be good for them. It's certainly much better than just providing counsel. The only barrier I could see is agents bogging things down but I imagine that the business will just provide agents of their own

I was actually reading through our state bill earlier. It only states that the university can't provide compensation to athletes for their NIL. But on the UT NIL FAQ: 

May The University of Texas or its staff members assist a SA with arranging for the SA to utilize their NIL for compensation with my business, etc.? No. The University of Texas and its staff members may not arrange for our SAs to participate in NIL contracts or activities. There are two reasons: (1) Texas’ NIL law precludes an institution from providing NIL compensation and (2) Texas law generally prohibits the use of state resources for private gain

I work in the UT system so I get point 2. They don't play around with state funds. But there's a definite lack of effort to play within the rules creatively

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Had 5 manhattans at a happy hour and then my house the other night, wife wasn't pleased or hungry/cooking, so I needed something quick. The kids don't eat the Frito's that come in the chip variety packs. Hormel chili with spicy jalapeno sauce, a bag of frito's, and a pile of cheese later, bam!, my first Frito pie in a decade. Absolutely fucking delicious. Also, preemptively fuck all of the chili snobs - hormel is fine in a drunk pinch at 9:30 on a weekday.

joaquin phoenix thumbs up GIF

8 hours ago, Da Fino said:

Quick point of personal privilege, guys. Can we please keep the dart bowl chatter to a minimum? I’m one of the people who’s very, very prone to sensory overload in surly threads. It’s making it very difficult for me to focus. Please, I know we’re all fresh and ready to go, but can we please just keep the dart bowl chatter to a minimum?

I’m pretty sure you’re provolone on that opinion. 

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

"Neighbor, how long's it been since you've had yourself a big bowl of Wolf Brand Chili? ... Well that's too long!"

Growing up poor with parents who tried had its culinary downsides - meatloaf, cheerios, chicken and dumplings, tons of fucking canned green beans and the like. But it had its upside as well. Hormel chili all the time, chicken fried steak/chicken, fried chicken, many stews, pot roasts, anything that could stretch for multiple meals for $4, hell fucking yes.

I've since eaten at some of the finest restaurants in the world. It's all fucking great except for the few things I named earlier, to me. Green beans of any sort are the fucking devil. I don't care what steakhouse or french place I'm at, if they have green beans on a plate as a "seasonal vegetable", especially after I've asked about what those involve and they didn't mention them, the whole fucking plate is going back - the only time I ever send something back. Ruins the taste of the whole damned plate. 

Yes, middle-aged man yells at cloud and such. 

Reminded me of an old recipe I used to make in college and eat on for a few days:

1 or 2 cans wolf brand chili/hormel with beans

1 package of these:

image.png.52d2209617d275e13e664d4c247a58d9.png
1 package of Mexican blend cheese

1 jalapeño slices 

pour half a can of chili into bottom of baking dish. place the burritos in the baking dish empty other can(s) of chili on top. Top with cheese and jalapeños. Bake 350 for 45 min - 1 hour 

god it was so awesomely bad. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I bet he enjoys these "tamales"
FD1217557_v1.jpg&height=300&width=300
Wtf..

Honestly didnt know this was a thing, and could have died happily without this knowledge. Oh, and all canned Chili is either thick soupy shit (the more expensive, "organic" crap) or literally canned dogfood. (Hormel, Wolf Brand etc) Literally.

8 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Then shit yeah that'll be good for them. It's certainly much better than just providing counsel. The only barrier I could see is agents bogging things down but I imagine that the business will just provide agents of their own

I was actually reading through our state bill earlier. It only states that the university can't provide compensation to athletes for their NIL. But on the UT NIL FAQ: 

May The University of Texas or its staff members assist a SA with arranging for the SA to utilize their NIL for compensation with my business, etc.? No. The University of Texas and its staff members may not arrange for our SAs to participate in NIL contracts or activities. There are two reasons: (1) Texas’ NIL law precludes an institution from providing NIL compensation and (2) Texas law generally prohibits the use of state resources for private gain

I work in the UT system so I get point 2. They don't play around with state funds. But there's a definite lack of effort to play within the rules creatively

Yeah, as usual we’re spiking ourselves in the balls and drooling while other schools and their boosters want to win. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

A single booster just pledged millions of dollars to hire industry experts and professionals whos sole purpose it is to find deals and get Oregon payers paid. A professional staff without the intent to make a profit as a business solely to find money for Oregon players. That’s their full time, high paid jobs. 

Imagine a professional fund raiser at a charity or non profit with the sole purpose to get money to players, with a billionaire backing it and not giving a fuck about making money. It’s a game changer. 

Oregon is doing exactly what and how we thought our NIL should be performed. They will be a force moving forward especially with the digital era bagmen. They're the model/future of what NIL/pre NILL should be.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

My wife had to go to Philly for a meeting a few years ago so we decided to make a weekend of it. Turns out Philly has a naked bike ride every year. We were walking out of a restaurant when a hundred or so naked people biked by. That made for some awkward conversations with the kids. 

Ha Ha! I bet those were some awkward conversations!  

And a naked bike ride in Philly? 
Clint Eastwood Coffee GIF

😂

13 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

poop sneezing GIF

One hasn’t “lived” a full life unless they’ve either 1) witnessed this or 2) actually had this happen to them. 

For the record, I’m a Dad…when one of your kiddos gets an allergy attack and the flu?  Well, yeah, it happens…fun times…🙄😖🥴🤢

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’m pretty sure you’re provolone on that opinion. 

Reminded me of an old recipe I used to make in college and eat on for a few days:

1 or 2 cans wolf brand chili/hormel with beans

1 package of these:

image.png.52d2209617d275e13e664d4c247a58d9.png
1 package of Mexican blend cheese

1 jalapeño slices 

pour half a can of chili into bottom of baking dish. place the burritos in the baking dish empty other can(s) of chili on top. Top with cheese and jalapeños. Bake 350 for 45 min - 1 hour 

god it was so awesomely bad. 

I still do this occasionally and I’m damn near 40.  Somehow my wife is ok with it.  Usually when we’re lazy and half a bag tied on so we don’t feel like really cooking.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Oregon is doing exactly what and how we thought our NIL should be performed. They will be a force moving forward especially with the digital era bagmen. They're the model/future of what NIL/pre NILL should be.

Oregon is smarter than to pay a salary (for decades) to one Christine Plonsky. 

• Rage+1 1

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

"Neighbor, how long's it been since you've had yourself a big, thick, steamin’ bowl of Wolf Brand Chili? ... Well that's too long!"

I can’t pretend that a transgression didn’t happen. Where was Surly on this one.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That bears parents in the past shitting on the program. 

At first I was like "what the fuck?"  Then I realized that you meant "That BEATS parents in the past shitting on the program"  and all was right in my world.  

I really get the feeling that Sark is starting to get it firing on all cylinders.

14 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

At first I was like "what the fuck?"  Then I realized that you meant "That BEATS parents in the past shitting on the program"  and all was right in my world.  

I really get the feeling that Sark is starting to get it firing on all cylinders.

Agreed. We need to close out on some key prospects on the recruiting side, but I have a feeling Sark will be very aggressive in the portal again this year. The team feels different right now, and much of that is due to sound coaching and guys actually improving.

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

Agreed. We need to close out on some key prospects on the recruiting side, but I have a feeling Sark will be very aggressive in the portal again this year. The team feels different right now, and much of that is due to sound coaching and guys actually improving.

....and playing Rice and Matt Wells' Texas Tech.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That bears parents in the past shitting on the program. 

2 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

11.gif.ef2c61b74a3e2ee30193fa40eea41337.gif

18 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Yeah exactly what I meant. Thanks a lot autocorrect 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Sure, but we pounded those teams into the dirt as we should have, with a score that reflected the ass whoopin'. When was the last time you could say that? When was the last time our offensive line showed tangible improvement week to week? When was the last time we stepped on an opponents throat by the third quarter and had our backups in for the fourth? 

If we win this week as we should, I am going to feel very good heading into the cotton bowl. I am going to be playing cell phone flop out at the fairgrounds with every toothless sooner I can find. Although I will have to adjust for their Cricket Wireless plans not letting them call long distance. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We barely beat Tech last year. They were also 3-0 with a solid road win this year.

TCU is better than Tech, but by how much? We also barely lost to them these last two years.

The eyeball test says we look like we're going in the right direction. I wanna see Christian Jones get better, but I can see why they're sticking with him. The DL has too much talent and good coaching not to get better. DMo has a ton of room for improvement, but he's engaged.

52 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Bears. Beats*. Battlestar galactica

C552E6D0-FAF9-40FF-93C1-432AF052C3A9.jpeg.0285de8e807f2fe25ead18c44ef1c485.jpeg

• Haha 5

16 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Given what we know about Rich Paul and Klutch, isn't this just a way to get players committed to their agency sooner? I wonder which other agencies are working to get similar deals... we should jump on that.

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Sure, but we pounded those teams into the dirt as we should have, with a score that reflected the ass whoopin'. When was the last time you could say that? When was the last time our offensive line showed tangible improvement week to week? When was the last time we stepped on an opponents throat by the third quarter and had our backups in for the fourth? 

If we win this week as we should, I am going to feel very good heading into the cotton bowl. I am going to be playing cell phone flop out at the fairgrounds with every toothless sooner I can find. Although I will have to adjust for their Cricket Wireless plans not letting them call long distance. 

The 2010 season opener against Rice still sticks out in my mind. We were ranked preseason top 5 and riding high coming off the championship game loss to Bama. We ended up winning 34-17 and lots of people were happy with that but I just remember thinking that we looked flat as fuck with no killer instinct. A top 5 team should dominate Rice from whistle to whistle. Not saying we're anywhere near a top 5 team right now, but how you look in games against cupcakes definitely matters.

While a game changer and sick as fuck, Oregon fell in to that shit due to their association with Knight and Texas/other schools can’t be expected to replicate this as quickly. That said yea we should at least be getting the ball rolling which it appears we are not.

Edited by Hank_Hill

7 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

While a game changer and sick as fuck, Oregon fell in to that shit due to their association with Knight and Texas/other schools can’t be expected to replicate this as quickly. That said yea we should at least be getting the ball rolling which it appears we are not.

I just can't imagine that this is going to sit well with Nike sponsored schools. Nike is so in bed with all of the coaches, especially in basketball, that I can't imagine how pissed off a coach is going to be when he loses a recruit to Oregon because of this. It's a major conflict of interest for Knight/Nike. I would hope that our AD isn't going to play ball with a sponsor that is actively undermining our competitiveness.

• Like 5

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting