Finders keepers .... not really

Wally Fairway

South Korean airport janitor finds 7 1kg gold bars; but even though they have a "finders keepers' law they won't get to keep them.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-43972394

I really hope that there were at least 9 or 10 gold bars that they found, and they only turned in 5.

What is the best thing you've ever found & what did you do?

Edited by Wally Fairway
typos

Youngest son was about 17 and found $300, or so, in HEB parking lot while doing cart duty.

Had to wait 2 or 3 weeks to see if someone claimed it.  Nobody showed and he got to keep it.

Sometime around 1993 I was walking to Players and found a gold chain bracelet on the sidewalk near that run-down parking lot on Whitis just south of Dobie. Got $78 from a pawn shop for it. Gold was not worth much at the time ($300-350 ounce I think).

I found a $500 chip in my jean pocket after returning from Vegas.  It was then I remembered the dealer asking me how much I sat down with.  I said $500.  She said.  "you're up to $2k so take a $500 and put it in your pocket.  Cashed out $2k.  Luckily I had a coworker going to vegas a week later and cashed the chip.

Found a $20 bill outside of McCombs on two separate occasions back when I was in school. The second time I came across the cash, I left it for someone else to find and have a good day. The first one I found, I took it like the greedy, ass hole I am. 

55 minutes ago, midtown said:

I found a $500 chip in my jean pocket after returning from Vegas.  It was then I remembered the dealer asking me how much I sat down with.  I said $500.  She said.  "you're up to $2k so take a $500 and put it in your pocket.  Cashed out $2k.  Luckily I had a coworker going to vegas a week later and cashed the chip.

ultra-slow game money laundering operation.

When I was 19 years old I found a drivers license of someone that was 21 years old in a parking lot.  Thing is, the person on the license could have been my twin.  I used that ID for two years with never so much as a second glance.  Definitely worth its weight in gold for an underage college student.

5 minutes ago, GhostRider said:

I once had an ATM spit out $200 when I asked for $20.  Only $20 was deducted from my account and I never heard anything about it from the bank.

Bank error in your favor, collect $200? Haven't played Monopoly in ages.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Bank error in your favor, collect $200? Haven't played Monopoly in ages.

Pretty much, except I only came out $180 ahead.  What I found funny was right after I got my cash, the machine started making a lot of internal noise, then it put itself out of order.

30 minutes ago, GhostRider said:

I once had an ATM spit out $200 when I asked for $20.  Only $20 was deducted from my account and I never heard anything about it from the bank.

So you're the asshole that got my money.  I made a withdrawal at an ATM and it deducted it from my account, but never gave me any money.  I filed a report with the bank and they credited my account a few days later.

2 hours ago, midtown said:

I don't know how to break this to you but it is apparent to me that what you found was also something that you had lost.
Net, Net = no gain {price is right losing horn}

When I was in 9th grade I had skipped class with another guy. I dropped him off at the front of the school and pulled around to the back parking lot. It had been raining and I found a wad of wet money in the parking lot right next to my car. I originally thought it was a couple fifties and threw it in the car. I was a different person back then. I used to drive my neighbor home and when we got in the car I told him to count it. He kept separating bills out. Ended up to be $750.

23 hours ago, slorch said:

Youngest son was about 17 and found $300, or so, in HEB parking lot while doing cart duty.

Had to wait 2 or 3 weeks for them to reopen.

fify

41 minutes ago, kmac30 said:

When I was in 9th grade I had skipped class with another guy. I dropped him off at the front of the school and pulled around to the back parking lot.

Euphemism?

Went to a Cowboys game at the old Texas Stadium and we decided after the game to go see the statue of the great Tom Landry.

There, laying right on the ground was a crisp $50 bill.

We figured Tom had it sent there, like a gift for us. So we did what any good person would do. We picked it up and headed over to Baby Dolls and let The Man in the Hat buy our first couple of rounds.

4 hours ago, midtown said:

You must have been Rob Ford levels of fucked up.

When I was 15, I found a wallet with $380 in it.  I cut up his credit cards so no one could use them and trashed it.  Bought a carton of cigarettes each for myself and three friends, a stack of Playboys, and a bunch of heavy metal t-shirts and other assorted crap.  It was awesome.

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

When I was 15, I found a wallet with $380 in it.  I cut up his credit cards so no one could use them and trashed it.  Bought a carton of cigarettes each for myself and three friends, a stack of Playboys, and a bunch of heavy metal t-shirts and other assorted crap.  It was awesome.

And then you wasted what you had left, right? 

7 hours ago, Chuychanga said:

At my old job I sold a week of vacation back to the company for a couple grand and they failed to remove the vacation from my schedule so I used it the following month and got paid again. 

At my last job I had front loaded PTO every January but they did some restructuring and changed my title to a different one that  accrued PTO weekly and did this at the new fiscal year in the Summer.  Someone at HR decided to credit me with all the days I would have accrued from Jan-June but never deducted the front loaded days from my bank so I ended up with close to 8 weeks of PTO but I could only carry over a week from year to year so I got a nice PTO cashout worth about 10% of my salary and no one (including me) ever said a thing about it.

Also found a wad of cash in a money clip under the boat docs at Carlos n Charlie’s back when the lake had receded so far the docs were dry. Couldn’t tell how much money had originally been there since the outer bills had disintegrated (there were at least 3-4 more judging by the remnants under the clip), but I was able to salvage $400

A few years ago, while snorkeling off the coast of Cozumel, I found a Ziploc bag with cash in it.  It only came to a little over $30.  I asked around the boat later if anyone had lost any cash, no one claimed it, so I gave it to boat crew as a tip.