Afghan War ending, foretold by The Onion 10 years Ago [DT thread ruined by politics]

crash_davis

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

So why keep the shitty deal in place if it was so shitty? Why not trash/ignore it and come up with something better? It's not like he hasn't amended or scrapped other Trump policies. So why keep this one?

Competent adults don't do stupid shit because the person in front of them did some stupid shit.

Because sometimes you’re dealt a shitty hand with a lot already committed and you bluff and raise. Sometimes you fold. It’s never an easy decision when you get dealt a shitty hand. 

Edited by JimmyJames

10 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Because sometimes you’re dealt a shitty hand with a lot already committed and you bluff and raise. Sometimes you fold. It’s never an easy decision when you get dealt a shitty hand. 

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Are any afghanis tryIng to fight or resist?

They all cut a deal. Ya know. To survive.

And if we had a lick of sense we would have realized that we would have known that eventuality. We’re kinda dumb sometimes. Trump out front shoulda told ya. 

I do feel bad for all the people I know who served in both Iraq and Afghanistan. I’m sure many are thinking their service was a waste.

Well it was not. Because not only they were doing what they were asked to do. And they did it well. And it wasn’t a total waste. Al queda was neutralized. No further terrorist attacks on American soil. That is something important.

And even more importantly. We have hopefully learned that whenever we attack another country we have a clearly defined mission and that we won’t repeat the mistakes we made. It’s important to learn from mistakes.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

How far back are we going to go?  Bush?  Who handed to Obama, who handed to Trump?

Yes. Yes. And yes. That’s my point. Afghanistan is a completely bipartisan, totally American failure. It’s on ALL of them. It’s in all of US, because we the people either supported the mission or didn’t mind it. Shit, of the four, Trump may even get the HIGHEST marks (still a failing grade, but still better than his predecessors, who embarked on and engaged in a wrongheaded mission).

One of CHIEF Jr.'s best friends (a Marine) just got orders they are shipping out to Kabul in 24 hours. The thing he is worried about is exactly who is in the Hummer that pulls up beside you. It's going to be an absolute clusterfuck. His Mom, also a good friend, is absolutely beside herself. He said his "goodbyes" to her, his young wife, and new baby.
CHIEF

Godspeed, man. Tell me that there’s a shit load of folks who want those guys to do what they gotta do and GTFO.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I do feel bad for all the people I know who served in both Iraq and Afghanistan. I’m sure many are thinking their service was a waste.

Well it was not. Because not only they were doing what they were asked to do. And they did it well. And it wasn’t a total waste. Al queda was neutralized. No further terrorist attacks on American soil. That is something important.

And even more importantly. We have hopefully learned that whenever we attack another country we have a clearly defined mission and that we won’t repeat the mistakes we made. It’s important to learn from mistakes.  

Well, no more foreign terrorist attacks anyway.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes. Yes. And yes. That’s my point. Afghanistan is a completely bipartisan, totally American failure. It’s on ALL of them. It’s in all of US, because we the people either supported the mission or didn’t mind it. Shit, of the four, Trump may even get the HIGHEST marks (still a failing grade, but still better than his predecessors, who embarked on and engaged in a wrongheaded mission).

Maybe I am misremembering but I thought the plan was to use the Northern Alliance to take over the country, use minimal US troops to assist, get Bin Laden and some of the Islamic Extremist training centers and then GTFO. Meanwhile, we did a trainwreck invasion of Iraq. Obama and Biden then ran on why the fuck are we going into Iraq when the Islamic Extremists were in Afghanistan. So after they won the election we began focusing on Afghanistan. Obama later in his term said it was time to leave, Trump continued that plan, and then Biden and Harris basically fucked up and now need to fix the clusterfuck (and keep it off TV screens).

3 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

The Taliban has been receiving money and hardware from the Russians and Iranians for years. They're well trained, armed, and motivated. The Taliban are also very willing to assassinate high level military personnel and kill/torture people and their families. Air support saved many of our own troops. You don't think they would make a huge difference for some limp dick Afghan Army force?

And the irony of this is a few members of today’s Taliban were part of the Mujahideen who the US armed to take down the Soviets.  The enemy of my enemy is my friend at work here.  Sadly.  

Was listening to NPR driving home and they had a story of reaction around the world. Many leaders are blaming the U.S. for everything. These are the same leaders who either never sent troops, or pulled them out 5 years ago. But yes, it's all our fault. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Afghanistan is not worth a single American life. It is an absolute shithole. US policy towards Muslim countries should be hands off. Don’t get involved in their messes over there and don’t bring their people here.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

But the admin still fucked up a shitload in the lead-up to this.  A plan -- one that actually could and would be executed -- should have been in motion LONG before today in order to get our citizens and friendlies out of there.

It's like watching UT football teams of old -- every unit, offense, defense (both line and secondary) special teams, shit, the waterboy, all failed to help guarantee the L.  Biden came onto the coaches booth to call plays to run out the clock after the game was completely lost.  But STILL, his job is to just run safe plays and avoid injuries.  He didn't do that.  He called some dumbass plays that got some position players hurt so they can't play the next game.

The DT thread is all about blaming Biden to meet their goal of absolving Trump.  Fuck that, Trump screwed the fucking pooch.  But.....that doesn't absolve the Biden admin of its big failures here.

I’m reminded of the great mike Tyson quote, no doubt he heard something from his great trainer cus d’mato said. Because no way mike came up with it on his own.

“Everyone has a plan. Until they get punched in the face!”

Very true words. 

Edited by JimmyJames

~3,000 individuals died on Sept 11 which was the impetus (at least that we know of) for these wars. Imagine if we focused the resources we put forth to solve that problem to solve COVID and other ills impacting our country with far higher death rates. 

We spent almost a trillion over 20 years in Afghanistan. We’ve spent $4.5 trillion in about two years on Covid. Pretty stunning.

This shit sandwich lasted through 4 Presidents. All of them share some percentage of blame. 

Why you fan boi's won't accept that is troubling.

Ummmm…….

tell me you haven't read the thread without telling me you haven't read the thread.

….yeah….

This ain't the Paris climate deal, bro. Scrapping this one means the Taliban starts sending hails of bullets at our people and puts some of them in Arlington.
It's easy to forget that foreign parties negotiate with the United States, not just with Joe Biden or Donald Trump.

And a whole lot of this. Telling the Taliban “fuck you, no deal!” as we’re heading out with our skirt up isn’t a smart move. We made our deal. It let us leave without them attacking Americans. It ain’t glorious, but as is often the case, there are only bad choices.

Again, though….shitty planning.

If I heard the Taliban were gonna be running things after May 1st seems like you would do everything in your power to GTFO months ago. 
This. It has been no secret that this has been in the works for at least a year or more. I think the reality is a lot of people were staying behind with hopes of trying to make things work. We left equipment behind for the Afghan army with the hopes they'd put in a little effort to maintain some semblance of govt. It is breathtaking how quickly they threw in the towel and now comes the mad scramble to get everyone out.

I honestly don't think the Taliban is going to get in our way to do so. They know we've got the firepower to wipe them from the earth if needed. Like someone else said above, they just want us gone and out of the way. Poking the bear will do them no good except to catch an ass whipping for old times sake.

34 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Was listening to NPR driving home and they had a story of reaction around the world. Many leaders are blaming the U.S. for everything. These are the same leaders who either never sent troops, or pulled them out 5 years ago. But yes, it's all our fault. 

Lulz. I certainly won't fault any nation for staying the fuck away from involvement in either the Iraq or Afghanistan goat fucks. There are a lot of ways we could have handled the Taliban/Al Qaeda after 9/11, but we chose our path. It was an ignorant fucking path that was always destined for failure. You can play woulda/coulda/shoulda all you want over the last 20 years, but we were calling the shots. Who the fuck else's "fault" would it be? 

48 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

So we packed up our stuff and went to the SEC? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

I’ve always wondered if Toyota does insurgent focus groups to make sure they keep their edge in the field

They actually have tried to ban quick resale of vehicles in Asia to reduce supply.  
https://www.motor1.com/news/521995/2022-toyota-land-cruiser-resale-forbidden/

They just make very reliable, easy to fix vehicles.

49 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Obama & Trump inherited this clusterfuck & kicked the can down the road. We knew at some point we were going to have to rip the bandaid off but no one wanted to take the heat. Not a fan of Biden but he's going to take the brunt of this when there are so many people that should held accountable for probably the biggest blunder in U.S. history. I still contend that the Bush/Cheney admin was the worst in modern American history & we will continue to pay for their mistakes for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

And if we had a lick of sense we would have realized that we would have known that eventuality. We’re kinda dumb sometimes. Trump out front shoulda told ya. 

Yeah, apparently as soon as Trump agreed to a “peace” deal so we could leave, the Taliban started making deals to get the Afghan security forces to lay down their arms. I assume they got paid to just quit and go home. The few who tried to fight back were captured and summarily executed. Did you see the video of the thirteen men and a boy lying dead with their hands bound behind their backs? What did the Afghan army have to fight for, anyway? A corrupt government that turned tail and fled the country? And without American air support they were never much of a fighting force anyway.

At least the Taliban doesn’t have the wherewithal to operate or maintain the aircraft we left behind. But they might sell some of it to China. 

• Like 1

Fuck em. Same countries that when shit hits the fan they’re on our white courtesy phone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

sometimes?

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Fuck em. Same countries that when shit hits the fan they’re on our white courtesy phone

I don't fault our NATO allies that went in at the beginning and hung around for a fucking decade. They shed blood too and met their treaty obligations. They got out when we should've. Just admit it, we've bungled the whole thing since Bora Bora.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

At least the Taliban doesn’t have the wherewithal to operate or maintain the aircraft we left behind. But they might sell some of it to China. 

Wait...surely we didn't leave aircraft there. We couldn't fly those to any number of our other air bases in the ME? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I don't fault our NATO allies that went in at the beginning and hung around for a fucking decade. They shed blood too and met their treaty obligations. They got out when we should've. Just admit it, we've bungled the whole thing since Bora Bora.

No wonder we fucked up so bad, we had our troops relaxing on an island in the Pacific! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, bolverk said:

That would have been a terrible blunder if OBL was hiding out in Tahiti and we invaded Afghanistan.

Bora Bora = depot island in the Pacific Theater

Tora Tora = movie about shooting down Japanese planes

Tora Bora = rad lair

originalfortress-hoopa.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

That would have been a terrible blunder if OBL was hiding out in Tahiti and we invaded Afghanistan.

Tora Bora = rad lair

I still laugh people thought his crazy cave fortresses existed. 

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

No wonder we fucked up so bad, we had our troops relaxing on an island in the Pacific! 

4 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Tora Bora = rad lair

5lZd.gif

• Haha 2

And the irony of this is a few members of today’s Taliban were part of the Mujahideen who the US armed to take down the Soviets.  The enemy of my enemy is my friend at work here.  Sadly.  

From Hell, Osama and Saddam say hi!
Been going on for quite a long time….
Many others to include Noriega and a young man that was dedicated in learning how to fight ( being funded, trained, and supplied by 2 OSS agents) against the Japanese during WW2 in Indochina. Long before he became Uncle Ho,…Ho Chi Minh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• immamac changed the title to Afghan War ending, foretold by The Onion 10 years Ago [DT thread ruined by politics]