MH 370

Wally Fairway

only missing the first 50 ish pages when this event occurred.

60 minutes ran a segment on the Malaysia Airlines lost flight - with the "conclusion" that it was not an accident

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/malaysia-airlines-flight-370-crash-deliberate-panel-of-aviation-experts/

Edited by Wally Fairway
youtube link added
  • Like 2

There has always been a point-of-failure in our commercial flight in that we work on the assumption that the pilot(s) isn't homicidal.  Which is a pretty fair assumption given the thousands of flights per day.  But I can think of 2 other flights (the German and Egypt crashes) where its fairly certain the pilot purposefully killed everyone.   (Note:  I dislike calling these pilots or acts suicidal.   It's suicidal if the pilot crashes an empty plane not one with 200 people on it.)

There have been suggestions about allowing someone on the ground to take over when a homicidal pilot becomes a reality.  That frightens me more given the potential of someone hacking the plane's controls of a plane in the hands of a sane and capable pilot.

3 hours ago, 936horn said:

I still find it simultaneously fascinating and terrifying that in the age of modern technology a 777 could just disappear like that.

I think this situation pointed out that many countries' air monitoring and defense are lacking.  I want to believe that a plane wouldn't go across US airspace without notice.  That wouldn't stop a pilot from driving a plane into the ground but its unlikely it would go unnoticed like what happened in Malaysia and Indonesia.

Thought this was going to be about an upcoming series from NBC (airs in September).

Manifest, a high-concept mystery thriller, which has landed at NBC with a put pilot commitment, is exploring such a hypothetical scenario. The drama hails from The Mysteries of Laura creator Jeff Rake and producer Robert Zemeckis. Warner Bros. TV, where both Zemeckis and Rake have overall deals, is the studio.

In Manifest, written/executive produced by Rake, a plane disappears from radar and returns five years later after being untraceable and presumed lost at sea. No time has passed for those on the plane but, for their loved ones at home, a long five years have gone by. The series follows their personal lives as well as the larger mystery and purpose that is their destiny.

So there is a real possibility that they're looking in the wrong area because the investigating authority has determined the plane went down in an uncontrolled free fall, while the majority of of outside aviation experts think the plane was controlled to the very end and put down purposely in a different area.  Some interesting shit going on here.

5 minutes ago, SameSame said:

So there is a real possibility that they're looking in the wrong area because the investigating authority has determined the plane went down in an uncontrolled free fall, while the majority of of outside aviation experts think the plane was controlled to the very end and put down purposely in a different area.  Some interesting shit going on here.

Didn't parts from MH370 wash up on the shores of some small island off the east coast of Africa some time ago? 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There has always been a point-of-failure in our commercial flight in that we work on the assumption that the pilot(s) isn't homicidal.  Which is a pretty fair assumption given the thousands of flights per day.  But I can think of 2 other flights (the German and Egypt crashes) where its fairly certain the pilot purposefully killed everyone.   (Note:  I dislike calling these pilots or acts suicidal.   It's suicidal if the pilot crashes an empty plane not one with 200 people on it.)

There have been suggestions about allowing someone on the ground to take over when a homicidal pilot becomes a reality.  That frightens me more given the potential of someone hacking the plane's controls of a plane in the hands of a sane and capable pilot.

That failure is not limited to commercial air travel.  We live our lives (generally) assuming that people aren’t homicidal maniacs.  But such maniacs exist, and occasionally one finds a way to kill a shitload of people.  They may do it by crashing a plane, driving a bus through a crowd, gunning people down from a hotel window, or bombing a federal building.  Fortunately, those events are relatively rare and the draconian policies needed to prevent any risk are not worth the significant costs.

Leading air safety experts have concluded that the captain of flight MH370 deliberately crashed the plane. They include the man who spent two years heading the search, who now says Captain Zaharie Amad Shah carefully planned a murder-suicide mission.

The Malaysia Airlines jet was on a routine flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on 8 March 2014 with 239 people on board when it disappeared.

Analysis of satellite data indicates it ran out of fuel and crashed in the Indian Ocean west of Australia, thousands of miles from its intended destination.

Some debris from the Boeing 777 has been washed up on Indian Ocean beaches. But the biggest underwater search in history, coordinated by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), was called off in January 2017 after two years.

The seabed search was led by Martin Dolan, who told a special edition of the 60 Minutes Australia programme: “This was planned, this was deliberate, and it was done over an extended period of time.”

Captain Zaharie, aged 53, was accompanied on the flight deck by an inexperienced first officer, Fariq Abdul Hamid – who was on his first Boeing 777 mission without a training captain overseeing him. 

Six days after the plane disappeared, their homes in the Malaysian capital were searched, and computer equipment taken away. It contained evidence suggesting Captain Zaharie had used flight simulation software to prepare for diverting the aircraft.

Captain Simon Harvey, a British pilot who has flown the 777 widely in Asia, said the mission was “planned meticulously to make the aircraft disappear”, including flying along the Thai-Malaysian frontier to avoid either side taking action.

“If you were commissioning me to make a 777 disappear, I would do exactly the same thing,” he told the programme.

A Canadian air-crash investigator, Larry Vance, said he believed that Captain Zaharie put on an oxygen mask before depressurising the plane to render the passengers and crew unconscious: “There is no reason not to believe that the pilot did not depressurise the cabin to incapacitate the passengers.”

Read more

Mr Dolan dismissed the possibility that terrorism was involved. “If this had been a terrorist event, it’s almost invariable that a terrorist organisation will claim credit for the event.

“There was no such claim made.”

The panel disagreed about whether Captain Zaharie was in control of the aircraft at the time it hit the ocean. 

Mr Vance said he believed the pilot “ditched it deliberately to keep it as intact as possible,” while Mr Dolan said the evidence was that “the aircraft spiralled into the ocean and crashed”.

Here's a short article in case you don't want to watch a 49-minute video.

17 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Didn't parts from MH370 wash up on the shores of some small island off the east coast of Africa some time ago? 

Yes, the flaps on the back side of the wings that can be maneuvered by the pilot to help with lift or drag.  One of those washed up and that was part of the evidence that was being used to say it was controlled to the very end.  Saying that it had to have been taken out of normal position to become detached. 

For the first time in history, there is a new controlling political party in Malaysia that is a different kind of corrupt than what they’ve had. This group will take bribes but mostly does what’s in the best interest of the country. The group that just got voted out just straight up stole billions from the country. Since MAS is a government owned airlines they officially had reason to keep the facts hidden. If there are facts to be found, I expect this new government to be more forthcoming. 

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

That failure is not limited to commercial air travel.  We live our lives (generally) assuming that people aren’t homicidal maniacs.  But such maniacs exist, and occasionally one finds a way to kill a shitload of people.  They may do it by crashing a plane, driving a bus through a crowd, gunning people down from a hotel window, or bombing a federal building.  Fortunately, those events are relatively rare and the draconian policies needed to prevent any risk are not worth the significant costs.

Truth.

The vast majority of roads in this country have lanes of traffic going in opposite directions with no barrier to prevent the cars on one side from careening into the other lane and killing people. We all continue to drive on those roads because we trust that the vast majority on the other side A) Don't want to die. B) Won't kill anyone else when they die.

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Thought this was going to be about an upcoming series from NBC (airs in September).

they've been gone longer than 5 and a half years considering the plane they landed in is a 737-200.  though in the air it's a a 300 or later and the one on the cover is an A330. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2018 at 3:11 PM, Orange^White said:

Truth.

The vast majority of roads in this country have lanes of traffic going in opposite directions with no barrier to prevent the cars on one side from careening into the other lane and killing people. We all continue to drive on those roads because we trust that the vast majority on the other side A) Don't want to die. B) Won't kill anyone else when they die.

the more I drive on those roads, the more time I spend watching the traffic on the other side longer and hugging the far right line.

• 2 weeks later...

Australian authorities say "not so fast", they are sticking to their theory that the plane was not being controlled and did indeed crash.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-44216778

Australian investigators have rejected claims that the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 was deliberately brought down by the pilot.

Recent speculation that the jet was the subject of a "controlled ditching" into the sea was dismissed on Tuesday by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau.

The bureau maintains that the pilot was unconscious during the final moments.

The passenger plane disappeared in 2014 while flying to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur with 239 people on board.

The official search for the wreckage of MH370, also involving Malaysia and China, was called off in January last year after 1,046 days.

Investigators from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) have said that the plane was out of control when it plunged into the southern Indian Ocean

On 5/14/2018 at 3:11 PM, Orange^White said:

Truth.

I'm a hell of lot more worried about the oncoming driver crossing over due to falling asleep or texting than being homicidal.

Officially called off today.  Day-umn, we wuz just gettin' warmed up.

Latest search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 ends without finding wreckage

Jane Onyanga-Omara, USA TODAYPublished 5:49 a.m. ET May 29, 2018 | Updated 6:17 a.m. ET May 29, 2018

CLOSEicon_close.png

The hunt for missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 will finally come to an end next week, with millions of dollars spent and little more certainty than when the plane disappeared four years ago.Time

AP APTOPIX MALAYSIA MISSING PLANE I MYS

(Photo: Vincent Thian, AP)

The latest search for doomed Malaysian Airways Flight 370 officially ended Tuesday after three months of scouring the Indian Ocean floor without finding the wreckage.

Texas-based Ocean Infinity finished the hunt, after two extensions of the original 90-day time limit.

Flight 370 disappeared March 8, 2014, while en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people on board. An official search of the southern Indian Ocean by Australia, Malaysia and China ended in January 2017.

Malaysia signed a “no cure, no fee” deal with Ocean Infinity in January to resume the search. Ocean Infinity stood to be paid $70 million if it had found the wreckage or black boxes.

Oliver Plunkett, Ocean Infinity’s chief executive, said he was disappointed the search was fruitless. He said he hoped to take part in some future search.

More: Here are the theories behind the plane's disappearance

“I would firstly like to extend the thoughts of everyone at Ocean Infinity to the families of those who have lost loved ones on MH370,” he said in a statement.

?width=93&height=93&url=%2F%2Fimages.3lift.com%2F4020131.jpg&logo_exclude=&v=16

“Part of our motivation for renewing the search was to try to provide some answers to those affected. It is therefore with a heavy heart that we end our current search without having achieved that aim.”

“Whilst clearly the outcome so far is extremely disappointing, as a company, we are truly proud of what we have achieved both in terms of the quality of data we’ve produced and the speed with which we covered such a vast area,” Plunkett said.

“We sincerely hope that we will be able to again offer our services in the search for MH370 in the future,” he added.

Meh.  1) Pilot wife wants other dick, sayz later, gator! 2) Pilot very upset, pussy undefeated. 3) In eyes of Allah, Pilot is weenie not deserving of 72 virgins.  4) This world is not worth living, I'll show her, I'll fly into oblivion where they will never find any trace of me.  That'll show her! 5) Co-pilot: "WTF?  I was just in it for the 401K!"

• Haha 1

Homicidal pilot is really the only thing that makes any sense to me, given what we know about the behavior of the plane before it disappeared (deliberately turning out over the Indian Ocean, etc). One big question though is why keep flying for several more hours after going off course if your intention is just to kill everyone on board? Must've taken off his own mask and let autopilot run the plane out of fuel out of cowardice or something.

What a horrific situation for those poor families. Your loved one is gone and will probably never be found nor will real answers ever be forthcoming. But it was probably because the pilot was a lunatic.

7 minutes ago, tokamak said:

... One big question though is why keep flying for several more hours after going off course if your intention is just to kill everyone on board? ..

Probably gave him enough time to read some Star Wars-Star Trek fan fiction to set the proper mood.

• 2 months later...

@phdhorn - Your link is malformed.

Investigators released a report on missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 on Monday, saying the Boeing 777’s controls were likely deliberately manipulated to take it off course but they were not able to determine who was responsible.

The 495-page report draws no conclusion about what happened ...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-malaysiaairlines-mh370/mh370-investigators-say-controls-were-likely-deliberately-manipulated-idUSKBN1KK0I9

Interdasting... I clicked on the linky I put in and read the story.  I clicked it 2-3 times to test it as usual and it worked.
Now it doesn't work. (if you run your cursor over it and look at your lower left corner (in Windows/Chrome) you can see the original title).

Trilateral Commission interference???????  Something the Malaysians don't want us to know?????????????

X-files shit?

More like typical Yahoo reporters.....

That story kinda buries the lede:

Kok said the investigators examined the history of the pilot and the first officer, and they were satisfied with their background and training and mental health.

“We are not of the opinion it could have been an event committed by the pilots,” he said, but added they were not ruling out any possibility since the in-air turn back was done manually and the systems in the plane were also manually turned off.

That seems to be fairly big news to me, given that pilot suicide has been the leading theory so far.

Yeah, the Yahoo, "they have no fucking clue why it crashed" story re-appeared later the same day of my last post (last week).  Too "don't give a shit" to have posted about its re-linking, but I read it again and they said, "we have no ide-er."

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Very thorough article but not a lot of new info for anyone who's followed the story closely.

TL;DR: Contact was deliberately cut off and the plane deliberately turned off its planned route. It climbed to 40,000 feet as it maneuvered away from land. The plane flew south for 6+ more hours then crashed the South Indian Ocean. All that is now known with near certainty. It is likely, though not certain, that the plane was depressurized. If so, all of the passengers would have died relatively peacefully within perhaps ~30 minutes.

No malfunction or mechanical failure could have caused the sequence of events. Hijacking is theoretically possible but the clues don't fit at all, no one has ever claimed responsibility, and at this point, the identities of all ticketed passengers and crew are well known to investigators. The pilot was experiencing some problems in his personal life and had in fact simulated a route very similar to the final route on his home flight simulator software.

Edited by tokamak
  • Like 1