Texas BBQ

Washpark

3 hours ago, NoName said:

couldn't agree more. he and his partner (and wife) are going to put out some great stuff and become THE place to go in Longview. him leaving / starting Sunbird was at the bottom of the front page of Longview paper so more folks know about it now than just BBQ folks.

the location is...not great...but at the same time it isn't like he is so far north of Longview that it's an issue.

either way, they have shown a ton of folks their true colors.

19 hours ago, dcbc said:

From the interview you posted earlier, I could tell they were pretty shitty to him, even though he was perfectly diplomatic about how he spoke of them.  I predict reversion to the mean for that place.  He's better off getting out from under the the name most people associate with a mediocre chain anyway. 

22 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Maybe they can take the one that runs the restaurant on 42 ... so they can hire someone who knows what the hell they're doing. 

Is the Bodacious in Hallsville associated at all? I've been told by a couple of people it's gotten significantly better.

19 minutes ago, RichUT said:

I’ve gotta spend the weekend in Dallas for a kids swim meet. I’m completely out of touch on the BBQ scene there. Where would this crowd send me?

Is this a serious question?  You realize Dallas is home to the greatest BBQ place of all time, right?

Spoiler

image.jpeg.da95e38fc0a2620833f532b007480243.jpeg

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, CBT said:

Is the Bodacious in Hallsville associated at all? I've been told by a couple of people it's gotten significantly better.

Bodacious Hallsville isn't a bad option at all and honestly now that Mobberly is closed it's definitely the best Bodacious location of all of them.   They do a good crawfish boudin and pork steaks.   The couple that runs it are great people also. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RichUT said:

I’ve gotta spend the weekend in Dallas for a kids swim meet. I’m completely out of touch on the BBQ scene there. Where would this crowd send me?

1. Cattleack (if you can stand in a line, not open for dinner) 

2. Terry Blacks

3. Pecan Lodge

4. Slow Bone (Fried chicken and great sides; not open for dinner)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, DallasSooner said:

Bodacious Hallsville isn't a bad option at all and honestly now that Mobberly is closed it's definitely the best Bodacious location of all of them.   They do a good crawfish boudin and pork steaks.   The couple that runs it are great people also. 

ive heard their ribs are awesome (like to the point they could be a rib only joint) but haven't been in 5+ years

also heard they are good people!

• Hook 'Em 1

I had lunch at Mimsy's Craft Barbecue in Crockett, Texas today.  It was damn good.  I would slot the 5 alleged top places I've been as follows:

(1) Mimsy's

(2) Corkscrew

(3) Truth

(Y & Z) Pit Room and Pinkertons - both of these places are way inferior relative to Mimsy's, Corkscrew, and Truth, enough so that I'd never return to either place.

http://www.mimsyscraftbbq.com/  1979 S 5th St, Crockett, TX 75835

That is smoked queso poblano macaroni and cheese.  The potato salad is of the same sort/class as what Nielsen's Deli on Richmond Ave. serves, only better.

IMG_3284A.JPG

Edited by Heisenberg
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

I had lunch at Mimsy's Craft Barbecue in Crockett, Texas today.  It was damn good.  I would slot the 5 alleged top places I've been as follows:

(1) Mimsy's

(2) Corkscrew

(3) Truth

(Y & Z) Pit Room and Pinkertons - both of these places are way inferior relative to Mimsy's, Corkscrew, and Truth, enough so that I'd never return to either place.

http://www.mimsyscraftbbq.com/  1979 S 5th St, Crockett, TX 75835

That is smoked queso poblano macaroni and cheese.  The potato salad is of the same sort/class as what Nielsen's Deli on Richmond Ave. serves, only better.

IMG_3284A.JPG

I will say that Pinkertons does not belong in the same stratosphere as Pit Room IMO. You may have caught them on an off day, but even on the worst day I’ve had there it’s been better than Pit Room. Their consistency has improved a ton over the past couple years IMO which was my only gripe. When they are on (i haven’t had an off day in a couple years there) I’d have them there with truth in brenham, except they don’t have that tater tot casserole. 

Another note, saw an Instagram video from Pinkertons SA location. With that big ass lawn and the potential for outdoor entertainment/concerts, unless they’re sharing with the developer I’ve got to imagine that location will be fuckin raking in cash. 

2. Terry Blacks
3. Pecan Lodge

This is a good list. Also, note that Terry Blacks and Pecan Lodge are pretty close to each other in Deep Ellum. Agree that Terry Blacks is better of the two now and didn’t have much of a line when I went a few weeks back for a late Friday lunch. If you go to Pecan Lodge and it has a line, know that you can bypass the line if you order The Trough (which works if you either have several with you or don’t mind taking leftovers with you).

8ea3b6e737911e3259ef8f7b677d0f35.jpg

49 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I will say that Pinkertons does not belong in the same stratosphere as Pit Room IMO. You may have caught them on an off day, but even on the worst day I’ve had there it’s been better than Pit Room. Their consistency has improved a ton over the past couple years IMO which was my only gripe. When they are on (i haven’t had an off day in a couple years there) I’d have them there with truth in brenham, except they don’t have that tater tot casserole. 

Another note, saw an Instagram video from Pinkertons SA location. With that big ass lawn and the potential for outdoor entertainment/concerts, unless they’re sharing with the developer I’ve got to imagine that location will be fuckin raking in cash. 

ive been to pit room about 6 times, it's always been excellent 

47 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Looks like I'll be in Longview for a couple of weeks starting next Tuesday. Y'all got any recs, barbecue or otherwise?

Like @dcbc said as far as bbq, those are your best options. Apparently bodacious in hallsville in good. Otherwise, juicys, butcher shop, lil Thai house are all good lunch spots. Can’t speak to tex mex or anything else really as it’s been 6 years since I lived there and the places I frequented have closed. @NoName or @EE2B may need to chime in. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I have been probably 5 times. I thought it was pretty good but not great. Not as good as Pinkerton’s before the fall off and not in the same league as Tejas or Truth. Just my 2 cents.

Has Pinkertons quality suffered with the opening of SA location? Was planning on going with some friends this weekend. 

9 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Looks like I'll be in Longview for a couple of weeks starting next Tuesday. Y'all got any recs, barbecue or otherwise?

I still have much love for Country Tavern in Kilgore, but the star of the show is the baby back ribs. If you don't wanna just gorge on ribs, and can't have a BBQ meal without brisket, it drops a couple notches. But the large ribs plate with their beans and potato salad is very good eats. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Like @dcbc said as far as bbq, those are your best options. Apparently bodacious in hallsville in good. Otherwise, juicys, butcher shop, lil Thai house are all good lunch spots. Can’t speak to tex mex or anything else really as it’s been 6 years since I lived there and the places I frequented have closed. @NoName or @EE2B may need to chime in. 

@Braff Zacklin

i don't live in Longview anymore but can share my recs based on time there + friends who live there still

honestly i would message Bryan @ Sunbird on Instagram and ask him for recs or when they will be open? Right now they are doing pop ups

• favorite Tex Mex there is El Sombrero and it isn't close for me
  • Mi Casita is my favorite breakfast taco in town
  • coffee: Silver Grizzly downtown
  • I can't recommend Lil Thai House enough. So good!
  • Andy's Custard is always excellent.
  • Circle M Crawfish out in Big Sandy was good last handful of times I went
  • People in Longview are going to recommend Pizza King but it's mediocre at best to me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, NoName said:

@Braff Zacklin

i don't live in Longview anymore but can share my recs based on time there + friends who live there still

honestly i would message Bryan @ Sunbird on Instagram and ask him for recs or when they will be open? Right now they are doing pop ups

• favorite Tex Mex there is El Sombrero and it isn't close for me
  • Mi Casita is my favorite breakfast taco in town
  • coffee: Silver Grizzly downtown
  • I can't recommend Lil Thai House enough. So good!
  • Andy's Custard is always excellent.
  • Circle M Crawfish out in Big Sandy was good last handful of times I went
  • People in Longview are going to recommend Pizza King but it's mediocre at best to me.

My wife is from Longview.  I would also throw in Nanny Goats for lunch.  Good salad and sandwich place.  And the only place in town I have found with decent wine (buy by the bottle).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What are the lines like at Truth (Brenham)?  I'm thinking Sunday, but I'll be in College Station until 11:30 or so, which would mean I'd probably get to Brenham around 12:30.  

Waste of time?

Arrived on a Saturday around 3:00 and they still had brisket and sausage and most sides.

• Hook 'Em 1

Flying cross country, California to Florida layover in Dallas. Want to grab a quick bite and I see saltlick. Yeah I know low expectations but Ive out of Texas for a few months

Brisket sammich, $20 embarrassing

Drink knob creek at Fridays I am disappointed 6916a16df066e536cdd9e75eb7fd0a35.jpg556e27da3b7664f49064cff173929f51.jpg

On 5/27/2021 at 12:28 PM, DallasSooner said:

2. Terry Blacks

3. Pecan Lodge

Good list but honestly I'd drop Pecan Lodge and Slow Bone, replace with Hurtado's and 4T's (assuming we're not talking about Dallas proper). Like @BurntOrange&White mentioned, Pecan Lodge has suffered from a huge decline in quality. They are not even close to half of what they were when they smoked at the farmers market.

Pinkerton’s is back to consistently great.  Very short quality drop off due to San Antonio, but that has been corrected.  Plus the bar can’t be beat.  And still waiting for Swayze to be here when I am...

This is timely. Not saying you didn’t have a great meal, but one of my brothers texted me on Thursday saying he had Pinkerton’s and thought the quality was down. Interesting the many opinions on this spot.

Just now, Patricio Swayze said:

This is timely. Not saying you didn’t have a great meal, but one of my brothers texted me on Thursday saying he had Pinkerton’s and thought the quality was down. Interesting the many opinions on this spot.

This past Thursday?  Have to disagree, and if he has a bone to pick, ok.  But the brisket and ribs were on point Thursday.

This past Thursday?  Have to disagree, and if he has a bone to pick, ok.  But the brisket and ribs were on point Thursday.

Actually it was yesterday. Didn’t give specifics, but said “quality has gone down for sure”. Jives with most of my recent experiences there. We all have been eating there since they opened. But again, if you had a great meal, then great. I think it’s a cool spot and Grant is a Longhorn, so I hope he does well.

On 5/29/2021 at 6:46 PM, HRSchenker said:

Good list but honestly I'd drop Pecan Lodge and Slow Bone, replace with Hurtado's and 4T's (assuming we're not talking about Dallas proper). Like @BurntOrange&White mentioned, Pecan Lodge has suffered from a huge decline in quality. They are not even close to half of what they were when they smoked at the farmers market.

Hurtado’s looks amazing - I land at DFW Wednesday after next and was going to go to Terry Black’s but this is much more efficient for my travel plans. If I get there between 11 and 1130 am, will I have to wait 30+ minutes? 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

2 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Hurtado’s looks amazing - I land at DFW Wednesday after next and was going to go to Terry Black’s but this is much more efficient for my travel plans. If I get there between 11 and 1130 am, will I have to wait 30+ minutes? 

Yes. but check out the online ordering option. Prob your best bet

I haven’t been to Hurtados yet but I’ve heard it’s an even better version of Valentina’s sans the real deal Holyfield.

On 5/29/2021 at 6:21 PM, Spoetzl said:

Pinkerton’s is back to consistently great.  Very short quality drop off due to San Antonio, but that has been corrected.  Plus the bar can’t be beat.  And still waiting for Swayze to be here when I am...

I was there Saturday and I would agree with you here. The last two times I’ve been were the best two experiences yet. The glazed ribs were probably the best I’ve ever eaten anywhere and brisket was back on point. I’m gonna go back to truth next since it’s been a while but we really have some great spots in town. 

14 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Its amazing how much incredible bbq there is in Texas now, sans lines

Last time I waited more than 5 minutes for bbq was 2018. And ive tried like 20-30 new joints since then

i vividly remember when luling city market was among the best spots in town 

Holy Shit, Terry Black opening up a place in Greater Heights. Minutes from Pinkertons and Truth 

This is some cool news: Terry Black's Barbecue is headed to the Greater Heights!

Hailing from Lockhart,TX, Terry Black's Barbecue is bringing its Central Texas-style smoked goodness to Houstonand the company has decided to make Shady Acres its home. The barbecue spot will be located at 1329 N Shepherd Dr, which once housed A & C Glass Co.

Edited by tx 3 putt