Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Why do you hate equality? 

Cool. 

I’m actually interested in your thoughts on a gun and bullet tax. The proceeds go directly to a fund designed to harden schools, upgrade ERs, reimburse hospitals and governments that treat GSW, provide tax credits for increased insurance premiums, reimburse police departments for time spent responding to and investigating gun crime, improving mental health services to people at risk, etc. 

Calculate the cost to society, divide it by average guns/bullets sold and you have your tax. Maybe even offer partial rebates in exchange for installing biometric trigger locks and other proven safety features. 

The fact is that all of us are paying for the havoc inflicted by these weapons, although a distinct minority of us are contributing in any way to the problem of a country awash in firearms. 

This seems like a conservative proposal. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

Well, it depends, like in consideration of all qualities, the inherent good lies not in the word “equality”, but in the purpose it serves.   Our federal outlays are about 40-45% of gdp. Euro countries around 50%.  A flat tax penalizes almost everyone except for the top tax payers.  So, the problem with your idea of equality is that it does not serve fairness.

It’s not the words, Fattie. It is the purposed served.   Folks have been on this message for awhile now.

I understand that. It was also the cry forever, until it wasn’t enough anymore.  Makes one wonder what’s coming next. 

• Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I’m actually interested in your thoughts on a gun and bullet tax. The proceeds go directly to a fund designed to harden schools, upgrade ERs, reimburse hospitals and governments that treat GSW, provide tax credits for increased insurance premiums, reimburse police departments for time spent responding to and investigating gun crime, improving mental health services to people at risk, etc. 

Calculate the cost to society, divide it by average guns/bullets sold and you have your tax. Maybe even offer partial rebates in exchange for installing biometric trigger locks and other proven safety features. 

The fact is that all of us are paying for the havoc inflicted by these weapons, although a distinct minority of us are contributing in any way to the problem of a country awash in firearms. 

That's actually a great idea. I would hope at a minimum something like this would be talked about in political circles and sessions, but I won't hold my breath.

7 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Sure.  I can afford my hobbies.  
Pretty good idea, actually. Let’s get some more revenue flowing while we’re at it, and start taxing everything that burdens our society. I can think of a few that fit most of your descriptors.  

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

I’m not posting this to antagonistic or critical of trans. I’m making no judgement there. As I’ve stated there are mentally ill people of all types, and they shouldn’t have access to guns. Here’s what I’ve learned.  Some of this is corroborated by the linked article, which may have already been posted. Some is anecdotal from a young man from Nashville that lives in Dallas now:

- Hale’s parents were ultra devout. They asked Scruggs to counsel Audrey.

- The prior school administration from ‘05-‘08 had a headmaster or whatever that was caught doing something seedy with kids. This could’ve coincided with when Audrey was there. That’s probably the biggest conspiratorial anecdote. 

- Scruggs likely counseled her against any transition and was pretty firm about that. Another conspiratorial anecdote. 

- Hale was looking to murder Scruggs and family. Obviously anecdotal, but, she went to the boys’ (Hallie’s brothers) school and was deterred because of security. While conspiratorial as well, this has merit given Hallie’s death and Hale’s visit to Hallie’s brothers’ school. 
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11919801/Nashville-school-shooter-private-counselling-sessions-schools-head-pastor.html

I’m hearing now a lot of this is bullshit. 

Edited by Porterhouse

26 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I understand that. It was also the cry forever, until it wasn’t enough anymore.  Makes one wonder what’s coming next. 

Well, to start with, society’s collective view on what is needed next.  Is your forever cry fair game?

12 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Furk - I'm getting dragged to Orlando for a cheer competition at the end of April, probably just in time for Florida Men throughout the state to go full Road Warrior.  Perfect. 

So what's Abbott going to do next to try to outstupid Desantis? 

30 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

Well, to start with, society’s collective view on what is needed next.  Is your forever cry fair game?

Society’s collective view?  Partial credit.  There’s actually a large part of “society” that doesn’t collectively agree with it (hint: indicated by the laws we have)

• Fuck You 1

OK, somebody explain the angle here.  Multiple possibilities:

-- majority of the FL legislature has the gun lobby stuffing their pockets

-- data indicates more poors/minorities will die than upper class whites if guns are as unregulated as possible

-- other?

#whynotboth.gif

24 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Furk - I'm getting dragged to Orlando for a cheer competition at the end of April, probably just in time for Florida Men throughout the state to go full Road Warrior.  Perfect. 

So what's Abbott going to do next to try to outstupid Desantis? 

Good lord, no matter your opinions on unlicensed, open-carry...can we all agree that letting a deranged shithole like Florida just having fully armed morons roaming about is not a good idea?  

To your second point, Abbott absolutely has to one-up this shit.  There's a decent chance we will all be required to carry a firearm on our person at all times in public before the next election.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Society’s collective view?  Partial credit.  There’s actually a large part of “society” that doesn’t collectively agree with it (hint: indicated by the laws we have)

Elections hereabouts are never unanimous.   And, jokes aside, no one here is is undefeated.   Society’s collective view is in fact represented, blunt instrument that it is, via elections, and laws enacted by our collective representatives.  For those that don’t afterward support said laws, there are other elections and other societies. 

Back to the op topic, society’s collective view is that it is worth the lives of these kids, and all the gun suicides, to keep our eyes on the prize of most guns possible.  Plenty to not like for all when it comes to important stuff.

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, somebody explain the angle here.  Multiple possibilities:

-- majority of the FL legislature has the gun lobby stuffing their pockets

-- data indicates more poors/minorities will die than upper class whites if guns are as unregulated as possible

-- other?

#whynotboth.gif

The Florida house is 84-35 R/D. It's now just a race to throw as much red meat as possible to the right wing or else you get primaried. 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Sure.  I can afford my hobbies.  
Pretty good idea, actually. Let’s get some more revenue flowing while we’re at it, and start taxing everything that burdens our society. I can think of a few that fit most of your descriptors.  

Or we could just make the rich pay equal taxes for the 80%+ of the money they possess. The middle class already pays their share, and you can’t take money from the poor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Lets all repeat this over and over and over again for the rubes in the back. The trans part of this is a non-issue. There are HUNDREDS of mass shootings a year in this country and a vast majority are done by white Christian men/boys. Focus on that for just one minute. The right has spent more time "investigating" the trans angle on this shooting more than they have investigated a solution to the bigger issue. 

Here in Idiot World where the news should be, "Holy Shit, Someone Other Than An Angry White Man Is The Killer!" it's "Holy God, save us from the transexuals come to kill us all and groom our children!" "At last, we know the root of the mass killing problem! It's them queers who hate God, marriage, and God again!"

This is truly a case of an exception highlighting the rule. But, you know, hate has its appeal.

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I have a question for the gun crowd. We tax gasoline to pay for highways and safety upgrades. 

Would you be willing to accept a tax on every bullet and firearm that would go to a fund dedicated to mitigating the effects of gun violence— hardening schools, hiring security, funding for improving triage centers that see lots of GSW, etc.

I know your answer but look forward to hearing the rationale behind why the consequences of your hobby should be socialized. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

Or we could just make the rich pay equal taxes for the 80%+ of the money they possess. The middle class already pays their share, and you can’t take money from the poor. 

We should. You won’t get an argument on that from me.  If anything, in many cases, they also get more government benefits. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

Large protest at the Capital in Tenn. The GOP had the rooms cleared when chants of “Children are dead, You don’t care” were happening. I hope it continues.

I've been reading how the scare about "grooming" and CRT and other hysteria about shit that isn't happening is the GOP strategy for scaring mothers who have generally been too wise to vote GOP in majority numbers. 

Interesting that an issue that they're on the wrong side of looks like it is scarier to mothers and more likely to get real people involved. I wouldn't trade hundreds of kids life for this king of political movement, but it's the other side that made that choice.

Fuck them. I hope they get gut shot and tossed in a septic tank.

7 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

What does this actually mean?  Turn a school into a fire hazard?  Surround every school in America with a moat?  Staff every school with multiple cops even though that has been shown to not work in our current iteration (see Parkland)  Redesign every school and remove all outdoor activities and turn it into a bunker filled with fluorescent lights?     

I saw this today in IG and it made me think about how Republicans truly don’t believe in community and our society. They want to reap the benefits of society but live apart from it. They don’t want to contribute to it whether it’s taxes or taking care of those that need it most: children (not protecting them from mass murders, the banning books, keeping them uneducated and not free thinkers). It’s fucking sad because at this point, I don’t think we could get the toothpaste back in the tube and achieve what Japan has.

I don’t know how much of this is accurate, but I have always heard how safe Japan is. Don’t come at me with the terrorist attacks. Very isolated incidents. There is no arguing the fact they have exponentially less mass shootings than the good ol US of A.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqW0EDYPhvQ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Here in Idiot World where the news should be, "Holy Shit, Someone Other Than An Angry White Man Is The Killer!" it's "Holy God, save us from the transexuals come to kill us all and groom our children!" "At last, we know the root of the mass killing problem! It's them queers who hate God, marriage, and God again!"

This is truly a case of an exception highlighting the rule. But, you know, hate has its appeal.

A Bernie supporter shot Steve Scalise!

13 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I saw this today in IG and it made me think about how Republicans truly don’t believe in community and our society. They want to reap the benefits of society but live apart from it. They don’t want to contribute to it whether it’s taxes or taking care of those that need it most: children (not protecting them from mass murders, the banning books, keeping them uneducated and not free thinkers). It’s fucking sad because at this point, I don’t think we could get the toothpaste back in the tube and achieve what Japan has.

I don’t know how much of this is accurate, but I have always heard how safe Japan is. Don’t come at me with the terrorist attacks. Very isolated incidents. There is no arguing the fact they have exponentially less mass shootings than the good ol US of A.

Oh yeah, then why was Abe associated a few months ago? And you know what killed him? A gun*!

*A two shot gun that the assassin literally made himself

The fateful 140 seconds before ex-PM Abe's assassination and the gun that  killed him - The Mainichi

8 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Yeah well I feel foolish. But whatever. 

In all honesty, we need more of this. 

"Hey, I got it wrong. I admit it." Instead of doing everything but admit a person/thought/position was wrong.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

In all honesty, we need more of this. 

"Hey, I got it wrong. I admit it." Instead of doing everything but admit a person/thought/position was wrong.

Whatever false anecdotes I passed along didn’t change the ordeal for me: the trans / church element in here is relevant only as to backstory. The real issue is never letting sick people get close to having weapons.  I just cannot believe we can’t fix this now. It’s truly astounding. 

Whatever false anecdotes I passed along didn’t change the ordeal for me: the trans / church element in here is relevant only as to backstory. The real issue is never letting sick people get close to having weapons.  I just cannot believe we can’t fix this now. It’s truly astounding. 

Actually, I do have a question. It seems that because this one hit close to home and has obviously touched you in a personal way, that you said your “eyes are open”. So how do we go about changing the hearts and minds of the people you said you are surrounded by WITHOUT having to wait until they are also personally effected by these events?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Maybe. But they also blur out the good parts of their pron.

• Like 1

Not sure if this really belongs here because this dipshit was kind enough to get himself arrested before fully utilizing his stockpile of weaponry.

https://mailchi.mp/austintexas.gov/apd-detectives-arrest-a-man-involved-in-a-road-rage-incident?e=9d4c6e8b1f

d6dd6059-c27d-0e96-d963-70a6edcb92ab.png

81c742f2-6466-e443-5fb7-1b7119c36d8d.png

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                            
March 31, 2023
APD Detectives 
Arrest a Man Involved in a Road Rage Incident

Case:                          23-0300830                

Time:                          3:25 p.m.

Date:                          Monday, January 30, 2023

Arrested:                    Austin Martin, White male, 23-years-old

On Monday, January 30, 2023, at approximately 3:25 p.m., Austin Police Department (APD) officers responded to a call regarding a road rage incident in the 5700 block of S IH 35 SVRD. Someone called 911, stating that a man pulled a gun out and pointed it at two people in a different vehicle, including a child, while driving.

Aggravated Assault Unit detectives identified the suspect as Austin Martin. Martin was arrested and charged with two counts of Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon.

As the investigation continued, detectives conducted a warranted search of Martin's residence. During that search on March 29, 2023, 19 firearms were discovered.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Actually, I do have a question. It seems that because this one hit close to home and has obviously touched you in a personal way, that you said your “eyes are open”. So how do we go about changing the hearts and minds of the people you said you are surrounded by WITHOUT having to wait until they are also personally effected by these events?

I’ve been wrestling with this all week. I have no issue with you. Maybe Rex did. 

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Overall Japan is a safer country from violent crime but they do have their own warts. Their culture is as extreme towards the end of the spectrum of "the individual only exists to serve the society" as the US is on the "I'm the only one who matters" side. They end up with similar suicide rates and mental illness issues as the US. 

Also they claim a 99%+ solve rate for violent crime but the dirty secret there is if they can't find the perpetrator they find "close enough". 

Societies should strive to be in the middle of basically every issue. Too far one way or the other creates massive problems. But the US will never achieve it with the polarization and extreme individualistic culture.