Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

crossposting this excellent speech here, as this the normative conservative response to ANY gun control measure

@fattyflattie I guess those dems should have tried for more rational and moderate gun control policies to debate for, maybe they wouldn't have had their speech restricted then! Oh yeah and TOTALLY zero racial component to the progun side either.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Cue ana or some other dipshit citing gun violence in Bolivia and Peru. emoji849.png

#bothsides shoot at each other. Which, uh… which is good. Because despite what gun-hating liberals will tell you, when both sides are shooting at each other, that actually reduces gun violence. 

Chicago.  Yemen.  And other things of that nature.  I’m going to take my daughters to a movie about these brave three one day, especially the Justin’s.  And I’m going to cry with pride.  And no one will ever remember the names of the GOP legislators who berated them. There will no statues, no schools named for them, only embarrassed and hushed tones in dark corners of Cracker Barrel’s.  

So we're clear, you saw one guy, and don't believe that is the absolute definition of an outlier?  Seems reasonable. 

Outliers are what drive laws. If you believe we shouldn’t make laws to address outliers, then you don’t understand laws. There should be laws that prevent assholes from carrying guns in the path of children going to school. I don’t give a fuck if most gun owners wouldn’t do so if a significant chunk of gun owners support the assholes exercising their “rights.”
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I certainly hope someone is putting together the list of TN reps who voted to expel Justin & Justin but didn't vote to expel Gloria.  I know they possess no shame, but they should be shamed anyway.

You don't make lists.  You don't publish rosters.  You just pick one.  Just one.  The weakest one.  You perform your due diligence.  You hone in on them.  You begin by shaming and embarrassing them.  So that there's a track record of why they began to doubt themselves.  Then you find out what addiction issues or closeted fetishes they have . And you exploit that privately with them.  then you offer them the choice of continuing with that 'taste' in exchange for not being outed for what they wrongfully did.  Somewhere during that process, they'll feel bad about what they did, and that's when you double down.  they start to plead with you so that you don't expose what they're really into to their constituents, but that's when they realize---it's not about their voter base...it's about exposing it to their families that they're truly afraid of.  And finally, you can be of solace to them...offer them a way out.  

Just pick one.  There's an emotionally comprised one in every set.  A person who is already broken.  They just need a little nudge.  Something to make them go over the edge.  And a few more will follow suit.  I have to admit though, our model has not worked well with Uvalde police.  I really thought we'd get one to swallow a bullet by now, but they are proving to be much trickier than usual.  I've never had such a hard time pulling strings as Uvalde.  Goddamn outlier of the highest order.  But we'll have one of these Tennessee fuckers resign or off themselves before next election.  Proving to be much softer than I thought.  

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

You don't make lists.  You don't publish rosters.  You just pick one.  Just one.  The weakest one.  You perform your due diligence.  You hone in on them.  You begin by shaming and embarrassing them.  So that there's a track record of why they began to doubt themselves.  Then you find out what addiction issues or closeted fetishes they have . And you exploit that privately with them.  then you offer them the choice of continuing with that 'taste' in exchange for not being outed for what they wrongfully did.  Somewhere during that process, they'll feel bad about what they did, and that's when you double down.  they start to plead with you so that you don't expose what they're really into to their constituents, but that's when they realize---it's not about their voter base...it's about exposing it to their families that they're truly afraid of.  And finally, you can be of solace to them...offer them a way out.  

Just pick one.  There's an emotionally comprised one in every set.  A person who is already broken.  They just need a little nudge.  Something to make them go over the edge.  And a few more will follow suit.  I have to admit though, our model has not worked well with Uvalde police.  I really thought we'd get one to swallow a bullet by now, but they are proving to be much trickier than usual.  I've never had such a hard time pulling strings as Uvalde.  Goddamn outlier of the highest order.  But we'll have one of these Tennessee fuckers resign or off themselves before next election.  Proving to be much softer than I thought.  

Nah, I think you publish the list.  "Joe Klanney voted along racial lines to expel 2 of 3 state reps.  The 2 darkest reps."  

The vast majority of their base will love it, but small factions will be shocked and the rest of the world can just pile on, day after day, in every possible venue, and make their life a living hell.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I have a vision for a website that digs into the "total cost" of these mass shootings. We get the headline number of number killed. That's bad enough. We don't get clear numbers on:

- number injured and severity (doctor's bills, loss of income)
- emotional distress causes by the shooting (counseling costs, loss of income, etc.)
- property damage caused (they are going to tear down and build an entirely new school in Uvalde)
- settlements

In the Sutherland Springs case, legislation says you can't go after the gun manufacturers. But the American taxpayer gets hit for $127 million (and yes, the USAF should have reported the history).

One guy with a $1,000 rifle took all those lives and also led to $125 million+ in damages in a span of five minutes. It's terrorism and Republicans are soft on mass shootings.

There are a few websites that offer up certain bits of data, but you're right about not accounting for the total costs. Take this one for example: https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

As of March 9, there had been 396 unintentional shootings, but only 280 defensive uses in 2023. In other words, the actual usage of the gun as intended is less than fucking accidents.

2f39b65e-f359-4614-bb34-1576259fed80.png

0c4d74c8-5b5c-4440-a901-b80987f753b4.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Let's be very clear. The 2nd Amendment is no longer about protecting gun rights. It is about furthering social violence. That is its essential function now. 

The MAGA-GQP goal is not a "free" America. That's pure propaganda. Rather, the MAGA-GQP goal is a violent America, an angry militarized society, armed to the teeth, living in terror and existential dread. All day, every day. 

It's called ultraviolence (from A Clockwork Orange). "Ultraviolence" is terrorism as a daily cultural environment.

It's the senseless, excessive, malevolent, and utterly unjustified violence that terrorizes a neighborhood, a city, a nation. Could be beatings, knifings, assaults, road rage, car-jackings, and so on. But, it most dramatically involves guns, which make possible mass shootings. One day it is a school, then a movie theater, gas station, place of worship. Or perhaps places for public shopping and eating: a grocery store, fast food joint, or Walmart. All subject to random bloody mass shootings. 

Ultraviolent societies are far more likely to submit to fascists and religious fanatics. That is exactly what is happening among MAGA-GQP.

Ultraviolence. That's what's going down. That's the purpose of the 2nd Amendment. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

You would enjoy that show Luther: The Fallen Sun

21 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I would trade a good chunk of my gun rights back if the US would treat criminals the way Singapore does.  Punishment not a deterrent my ass. 

Our brutal rape-fest prisons and harsh sentencing has been working out great. If we just make prison a little more dreadful, 80% of crime will likely vanish overnight. Yeah, I made that number up just like comfortable conservatives like to invent absurd notions that we're just not tough enough. 

In this sick society, suburban boys grow up imagining they're tough guys. Imagining the rest of the world is as soft as their world is. They fantasize in the way that Donald Trump* imagined he would be the type of guy who would run into a school shooting "event" and save the day. You have no fucking idea about what you're talking about.

It's a fantasy world.

But insecure adolescently oriented white male morons get to run things, so they advocate idiotic, inhumane, ineffective tough-guy policies to feed their need to feel like a man. 

Cruelty of thought does not make a worthwhile man. Willful blindness to the primary reason kids are getting slaughtered in their schools pretty much defines a worthless human being.

*I'd run in there even if I didn't have a weapon. Cadet Bonespurs on Parkland slaughter "event."

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, bolverk said:

As of March 9, there had been 396 unintentional shootings, but only 280 defensive uses in 2023. In other words, the actual usage of the gun as intended is less than fucking accidents.

Our well-regulated militia seems like it sucks.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Very courageous of him not to wait for heavily armed and armored back up! Wish we had a thousand of these brave men protecting us.
Oh, and more guns for us, too.

Our law enforcement apparatus is geared towards crushing unarmed minorities (if that person is an angry mother voicing a “libtard” position, that’s even better - he may get a medal for valor soon). It is NOT geared towards protecting regular people. At all. Not even a little bit. It IS geared towards protecting the very people who have 78 guns each, because they say they just can’t count on the police to protect them. Because irony is fucking dead.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Our law enforcement apparatus is geared towards crushing unarmed minorities (if that person is an angry mother voicing a “libtard” position, that’s even better - he may get a medal for valor soon). It is NOT geared towards protecting regular people. At all. Not even a little bit. It IS geared towards protecting the very people who have 78 guns each, because they say they just can’t count on the police to protect them. Because irony is fucking dead.

Our law enforcement is geared toward the protection of property and the collection of money through tickets and civil forfeiture. They do not have to protect the general public (Supreme Court said as much). The “protect and serve” is great marketing.

On 4/8/2023 at 7:12 AM, RomaVicta said:

Our brutal rape-fest prisons and harsh sentencing has been working out great. If we just make prison a little more dreadful, 80% of crime will likely vanish overnight. Yeah, I made that number up just like comfortable conservatives like to invent absurd notions that we're just not tough enough. 

In this sick society, suburban boys grow up imagining they're tough guys. Imagining the rest of the world is as soft as their world is. They fantasize in the way that Donald Trump* imagined he would be the type of guy who would run into a school shooting "event" and save the day. You have no fucking idea about what you're talking about.

It's a fantasy world.

But insecure adolescently oriented white male morons get to run things, so they advocate idiotic, inhumane, ineffective tough-guy policies to feed their need to feel like a man. 

Cruelty of thought does not make a worthwhile man. Willful blindness to the primary reason kids are getting slaughtered in their schools pretty much defines a worthless human being.

*I'd run in there even if I didn't have a weapon. Cadet Bonespurs on Parkland slaughter "event."

Notice that fatty laughed at this.  He is not a serious person and y'all should not engage.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Notice that fatty laughed at this.  He is not a serious person and y'all should not engage.

Yes. We do not have harsh sentencing.  Singapore, like we were discussing, does.  It’s laughable to compare the two, hence the laugh emoji. 

• Fuck You 2

14 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yes. We do not have harsh sentencing.  Singapore, like we were discussing, does.  It’s laughable to compare the two, hence the laugh emoji. 

Our private prisons are overflowing with money-generating non-violent drug offenders.  You're a fucking idiot.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I couldn’t give two squirts of piss about a junkie or their dealer. Sorry not sorry. 

For fairness, you wouldn’t mind some shirts of piss on you, eh?  Have you checked into the substance abuse thread?   Your disdain for human life is galling.  Your day is successful.

• Hook 'Em 7

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I couldn’t give two squirts of piss about a junkie or their dealer. Sorry not sorry. 

You spoke about harsh sentencing, and I pointed out the most consistent and pervasive harsh sentencing in the American prison system.  You're a fucking idiot.

• Hook 'Em 4

46 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

The US has some of the highest rates of recidivism,  Singapore and Norway have about half the rate we do.   Why? 

No kidding. In Texas the governor is releasing murderers before they get sentenced.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 5

@fattyflattie

Maybe we should look at the other end of the spectrum. We can do so without reducing our machismo. Let's how unsuccessful the world's most coddling prison system has been.

NORWAY’S PRISON SYSTEM BENEFITS ITS ECONOMY

Norway has consistently ranked number one on a number of lists entailing the best, most comfortable prisons in the world. Since the 1990s, Norway’s prison system has evolved into spaces that represent comfort, healing and inclusivity. Changing its approach and attitudes towards prisoners, Norway is molding high-functioning members of society. In return, former prisoners are gaining the necessary skills in order to contribute to Norway’s economy. Here is some information about Norway’s prison system.

Norway’s Prison System

As of 2014, Norway’s incarceration rate was at only 75 per 100,000 people. In addition, since developing its new prison system in the 1990s, its recidivism rate has decreased from around 60-70% to only 20% in recent years. The main reason for these statistics is due to a focus on “restorative justice,” an approach that identifies prisons in the same category as rehabilitation facilities. Rather than focusing on the punishment and mistreatment of its prisoners, Norway has the primary goal of reintegrating its prisoners as stable contributors to communities. The first way it is accomplishing this is by creating jail cells that closely resemble small, dorm rooms. Many prisons in Norway have completely banned bars in their architectural design and have “open” style cells. At the maximum-security Halden prison, each prisoner has a toilet, shower, fridge and a flat TV screen with access to kitchens and common areas.

Why aren't these guys remaining criminals? It surely cannot be fear of the harsh sentences and brutality of their soft prison experience. It's absurd to think that inserting some humanity and thought into a penal system might show good results.

Further, Norway is a Western country and likely a better comp with our own Western society here in the envy of the world. There are cultural things at play in Asian countries (shame societies) that are not here.

Anyway, thanks for prompting me to look this up. I learned something. Maybe you can give it a try.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yes. Our prison demographics track right along with Norway. And probably Sweden.  Maybe Iceland?

So you noticed the race component, and you're fine with it?  In addition to being a fucking idiot, you're a fucking pig.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yes. Our prison demographics track right along with Norway. And probably Sweden.  Maybe Iceland?

Two things in this stellar post of yours:

1. Sounds like you think we have too many brown people, and

2. You think Scandinavia is all white people?