Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

Two things in this stellar post of yours:

1. Sounds like you think we have too many brown people, and

2. You think Scandinavia is all white people?

1) I don’t think we have too many of anything, well other than junkies. I think Norway and it’s buddies are a poor comparison to the US 

2) I’ve been to several of them, one for an extended period. I’m fairly well versed in their demos.

Edited by fattyflattie

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

1) I don’t think we have too many of anything, well other than junkies. I think Norway and it’s buddies are a poor comparison to the US 

We are both part of the western world and share a vast culture that informs just about everything we experience. 

Yes, we are an outlier among these countries which is the basic ground we're disagreeing over. What makes us different? Why the violence? Your answer seems to be that we're a violent society because we're not harsh enough with sentencing and prison. Norway's example makes that absurd.

So why are we the outlier? We're the leader of the free world; you can't claim that we're altogether different.

Face up to history and failed policies. Challenge your own positions rather than reclining in them.

I don't think you're a troll. You're on the other boards and are agreeable in those arenas. Your political beliefs are mortifying. Perhaps it is the profound ability to self-deceive that makes this country different from other western countries where slaughter is rare and some humanity is shown to the poor and imprisoned all to the overall good of the nation in question.

I won't respond to anymore stuff pulled out of your ass. Make a coherent argument supported by facts, and I'm your man. Have a good evening.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

2) I’ve been to several of them, one for an extended period. I’m fairly well versed in their demos.

How do you define junkies? People get popped with a vape pen of pot and the go to jail. For profit prison is the new slavery.
  • Hook 'Em 3

was This a robbery gone wrong or targeted mass shooting?  I mean it’s a fucking bank with a dead cop .  The mental gymnastics on this one are gonna have a difficulty rating through the roof.  

maybe the most secure building in Louisville.  Lots of good guys with guns.  Gonna go out in a big limb and assume the bank doesn’t mke a habit of propping their doors open.  

I know you guys won’t go through the cerebral hurdles so please feel free to immediately pivot to a ballistics/caliber lecture so we can to the next shooting.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

was This a robbery gone wrong or targeted mass shooting?  I mean it’s a fucking bank with a dead cop .  The mental gymnastics on this one are gonna have a difficulty rating through the roof.  

maybe the most secure building in Louisville.  Lots of good guys with guns.  Gonna go out in a big limb and assume the bank doesn’t mke a habit of propping their doors open.  

I know you guys won’t go through the cerebral hurdles so please feel free to immediately pivot to a ballistics/caliber lecture so we can to the next shooting.  

Look, people dying is a small price to pay for me to be able to play with my toys.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 6

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Look, people dying is a small price to pay for me to be able to play with my toys.

It’s literally the only argument they have based on truth 

That, and I’m scared to leave my house without a gun. 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Yes, toys.  Appropriate considering how many children die from them.  It’s like a bad Irving Mainway sketch.  

oh wait, we circling back to blame video games and rap lyrics for gun violence?  Hot take.  

also, how are you posting here.  Figured you to be the type to get all rigorous on the thoughts’n ‘n prayin’?

• Hook 'Em 1

My guns are toys.  I keep them locked up in a safe and they’re dangerous but I’m not using them for self defense, hunting, or as an investment.  It’s a purely recreational endeavor, at least for me.  

Mine are also toys. I don’t need them. They are also locked in a safe. Id also hand them over tomorrow if the laws were changed. Or register them. Or go through background checks (maybe piggy back off the ones I do for coaching and being a ref)… you know basically anything other than the shit that’s being done now.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My new tag line:

A moment of silence for the  people of (insert name of city where most recent gun violence is occurring) who give their lives today to protect the 2nd amendment, gun industry profits and the value of guns over people.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s a purely recreational endeavor, at least for me.  

It’s this same for everyone else. The vast majority of humanity lives their life every day without a gun without incident. To reject the trillions upon trillions of daily interactions between people that do not require a gun for the hundreds that a gun might increase your odds of survival is pure fear and stupidity. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

My guns are toys.  I keep them locked up in a safe and they’re dangerous but I’m not using them for self defense, hunting, or as an investment.  It’s a purely recreational endeavor, at least for me.  

1 minute ago, Goofyboy said:

Mine are also toys. I don’t need them. They are also locked in a safe. Id also hand them over tomorrow if the laws were changed. Or register them. Or go through background checks (maybe piggy back off the ones I do for coaching and being a ref)… you know basically anything other than the shit that’s being done now.

Then please, call someone, write a letter anything. Even if you're in a place that's represented by a blue representative already for it or a place that's in a red district where they won't change there mind... make the call and say you're a gun owner that supports reform.

It sucks, I hate doing it. But I make the call or write the emails because if not, one side seems to be heard much more loud and clear than the side of common sense.

22 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Then please, call someone, write a letter anything. Even if you're in a place that's represented by a blue representative already for it or a place that's in a red district where they won't change there mind... make the call and say you're a gun owner that supports reform.

It sucks, I hate doing it. But I make the call or write the emails because if not, one side seems to be heard much more loud and clear than the side of common sense.

Don’t forget the multi-million dollar political donation while you’re at it. 

4 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

So it’s not latent racism but patent?

Nothing about that statement is racist.  We can discuss why the demographics are different here (war on drugs, Jim Crow, whatever),  but it’s not debatable that they do not align with Norway.  It’s a poor example.

You are saying, perhaps without knowing, that violence and imprisonment statistics in the US differ from Norway due to,”demographics”, and you did not mean young vs old.  You high fived, but otherwise ignored the example of Norway and just how they reduce recidivism, which I mentioned and Brisket elaborated on and provided a link.  
How are others supposed to react?  

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Nothing about that statement is racist.  We can discuss why the demographics are different here (war on drugs, Jim Crow, whatever),  but it’s not debatable that they do not align with Norway.  It’s a poor example.

The jump from "demographics here are different" to "different demographics explains why we can't get rid of a gun violence" needs an explanation. The obvious implication is that having non-white people causes gun violence. That implication would be racist (and false). If you have another explanation that gets you from step A to step B that isn't racist, I'm sure we'd love to hear it.  

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

The jump from "demographics here are different" to "different demographics explains why we can't get rid of a gun violence" needs an explanation. The obvious implication is that having non-white people causes gun violence. That implication would be racist (and false). If you have another explanation that gets you from step A to step B that isn't racist, I'm sure we'd love to hear it.  

They all speak Norwegian.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You know the United States is only the 68th most ethnically/racially diverse country in the world, right?  It's completely middle of the pack.  Doesn't really explain our gun violence problem like you think it does.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

The jump from "demographics here are different" to "different demographics explains why we can't get rid of a gun violence" needs an explanation. The obvious implication is that having non-white people causes gun violence. That implication would obviously be racist (and false). If you have another explanation that gets you from step A to step B that isn't racist, I'm sure we'd love to hear it.  

Well, then you’d need to follow the entire conversation.  It started with fast break iirc comparing our stats to Sing. Then I said, I’d trade some of my rights if we took crime, and particularly punishment, as serious as Sing.  Then our prison systems success/failure was compared to Norway, which I feel is dumb as fuck, as we have a lot deeper issues across the board (war on drugs, Jim Crow holla) that makes our imprisoned demographics very hard to compare to a country such as Norway, or any of the Nordic countries.  It had fuck all to do with crimes committed with firearms, other than an initial comment about my willingness to giving up additional currently held rights for a country that would actually take crime serious

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

You know the United States is only the 68th most ethnically/racially diverse country in the world, right?  It's completely middle of the pack.  Doesn't really explain our gun violence problem like you think it does.  

Cool. The comment wasn’t about gun violence. Maybe take a moment off from planning peoples suicides in your head and take a read thru the thread? 

We have more criminal statutes per capita and more people on trial for felonies per capita and more people in prison per capita that any other nation in the history of the world. I'd say we're pretty serious about crime.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Meh, I'm a foregone conclusion.  I lost my passion for politics a long time ago.  I just get energized by fucking with stupid people.  Keeps me warm.

I didn't used to give a shit on guns one way or the other for decades.  But there's been 2 active shooter warnings at my daughter's school in as many years.  Like, not drills...but police rolling up heavy because of one armed adult nearby and one kid who brought a gun to school with them.  Nevermind the dozens of drills they've done since she was in kinder.  And then one day she asked me why anybody would want to shoot up her and her friends.  And without thinking of looking at the Dan Patrick pamphlet for "talking to your kids about active shooter events"............I just blurted out, "Because they can."      In hindsight, it was the most honest thing I could say, but also horribly detrimental.  

I'm still for the 2A.  I am still a proficient shooter.  I don't want zero guns and a national registry is worthless.  

It just comes back to stupidity for me.  We are being purposely stupid to let stupid people have stupidly easy access to a stupid amount of firepower.  And we couldn't be more proud of the stupid part.  People don't stop to think, of all the amendments and enumerated rights...the only one we could monetize at the retail level is the 2nd Amendment.  We sold people on the idea that the best way to demonstrate your patriotism is to buy more and more guns.  We literally monetized stupidity and patriotism at the same time.  It was a fucking stroke of genius.  

9 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

Well, as you say, it has to do with us, and our history.   Glad to have you aboard.  Can’t change history, but we,can change us.  Let’s start with me and you.

Let's leave CRT out of this.  I don't think Fattie could handle it.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, then you’d need to follow the entire conversation.  It started with fast break iirc comparing our stats to Sing. Then I said, I’d trade some of my rights if we took crime, and particularly punishment, as serious as Sing.  Then our prison systems success/failure was compared to Norway, which I feel is dumb as fuck, as we have a lot deeper issues across the board (war on drugs, Jim Crow holla) that makes our imprisoned demographics very hard to compare to a country such as Norway, or any of the Nordic countries.  It had fuck all to do with crimes committed with firearms, other than an initial comment about my willingness to giving up additional currently held rights for a country that would actually take crime serious

Again, you're still going to have to show how you jump from "different demographics" to somehow those different demographics being relevant to a comparison of our prison systems.

1) With what specific aspect of demographics are your concerned? (Age, sex?)

2) How does that demographic difference mean we can't learn something from Norway's prison system?

You think pointing out a difference exists must mean the difference matters. But that isn't how this works. That would be like watching two SUVs go through a crash test and concluding you couldn't learn anything from the differences because one had brown seats and another had black seats. You have to demonstrate and explain why that difference could matter. 

Also, to the extent your focused solely on difference in prison specific statistics (e.g., crimes in prisoned for, incarceration rates, etc.), you'd be missing the point. Of course those statistics are different. That's the whole point of the comparison. 

We have more criminal statutes per capita and more people on trial for felonies per capita and more people in prison per capita that any other nation in the history of the world. I'd say we're pretty serious about crime.

Maybe, but like I was saying, not as serious as Sing, which was what the entire conversation was based. I mean, this is what I signed last time I entered. The gum on the sidewalk is overplayed, but they tend to not fuck around, lest they find out.

9408b714a2915a3fc920bb91dccd016a.jpg