Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

13 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

This sounds like excellent strategy. When things stay the same or get even worse and gun fetishists accrue even more power it will definitely not be your fault and since your privilege protects you from gun violence you’ll get to say I told you so. 
Wont that be nice? 

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm not suggesting a strategy. I'm suggesting an action. There is no amount of gun death that is acceptable.

Edited by SilasCoade

3 hours ago, SilasCoade said:

I'm one of the crazy prohibitionists. Repeal the 2nd Amendment. Fuck guns. Save lives not political careers. Why is this even a debate? It's literally the worst thing about America and the only thing that exists only in this country.

The Brits say our obsessed with guns is the second worst thing about America. Imposing Trump on an unsuspecting world is first.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, SilasCoade said:

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm not suggesting a strategy. I'm suggesting an action. The is no amount of gun death that is acceptable.

What action are you suggesting? Repealing the second amendment? There is no scenario where that’s possible in our lifetimes. None.
But any political capital deployed to that end makes passing red flag laws and regulations on high capacity magazines more difficult.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/2/2023 at 11:25 AM, CooterBrown said:

The 2A doesn’t specify what those “arms” are. Fuck it. Ban everything but nunchucks and throwing stars.

Not to mention the whole 'well armed militia' bit.  And that the 2a has been interpreted differently through out the years.  I'm for confiscating the guns myself.  Will never happen but I would not feel sorry for one hobbyist.  Let the dudes living in the wilds of Alaska keep what they need to surive.

• Hook 'Em 1

They’re the fucking reason we have a second amendment.  

And the third. Let’s not forget that one.
And hey, I’m all for shooting any redcoat who tries to stay in your house.
Follow Bruen to the letter: you can shoot any redcoat bastard using any firearm in common use in 1791. Deal? What’s that? No deal? Because Bruen is a lie and the dumbest fucking decision in SCOTUS history, because it fixes firearms regulation at 1791, but doesn’t fix firearms development at the same year? Golly jeepers, what a mess.
I’m still all for shooting redcoats, though.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

What action are you suggesting? Repealing the second amendment? There is no scenario where that’s possible in our lifetimes. None.
But any political capital deployed to that end makes passing red flag laws and regulations on high capacity magazines more difficult.

Stop pretending message board rhetoric is the same as political capital. No one fucking believes it will ever be repealed. None. Yet you see it mentioned and focus on it. There is no political capital being deployed to repeal the second amendment. Even Newsom’s grandstanding someone pay attention to me 28th Amendment proposal does not suggest repealing the second amendment . The reality is the thought of losing your toys will forever keep sensible gun laws off the table. Period. 

There was finally SOME gun safety measures passed in 2022 thanks to Democrats once again giving up everything they wanted so the toy owners don’t get all upset 

The BiPartisan Safer Communities Act

- 750 million to states to implement Red Flag Laws

- Adds domestic abuser to NICS for 5 years 

- Enhanced review for under 21 buyers 

- 250 million for violence prevention initiatives 

- 1 billion for mental health programs in schools 

- 300 million for school hardening 

- Broadens definition of gun dealers

Only 14 Republicans in House voted yes. 15 in Senate 

Note, it doesn’t mandate Red Flag Laws, it just provides money to implement them if you want to.

This was the first gun control legislation in 30 years. It’s mostly toothless. It does stop convicted felon domestic abusers from buying a gun for 5 years, unless they buy it at a gun show of course, or from a friend. It does implement background checks on under 21 buyers with a 3 day waiting period, which of course wouldn’t have stopped the Columbine Shooters, the Uvalde Shooter, the Sandy Hook shooter, the Parkland shooter, 

Maybe a mental health program would 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

A curious side-effect of this recently rebooted "mental health" debate from "BOTH SIDES!" seems to have two caselaw supported outcomes:

1.  You're clearly deranged.  You've been written up by counselors, social workers, et. al. to be a threat to yourself and others.  Usually you're an adult but still living with family, or a group home, or on the streets, or couch surfing.  You've exhibited, repeatedly, to be mentally unhinged, perhaps addiction issues, and while not incarcerated for any violent crimes yet-many experts and non-experts who know you personally feel it is only a matter of time before you fall off your meds/treatment/family support network and acquire a firearm with which to hurt people.  In this case, even the vast majority of 2A enthusiasts would agree, "That person should not be allowed to purchase a firearm."  Of course, after learning the intricacies of the person's background and mental issues.  And this is valid, I think we all agree, as a conclusion.

2.  Person leaves prison after physically harming loved ones, strangers, or associates.  Due to recent rulings, is allowed to acquire more firearms legally.  Vast majority of 2A enthusiasts, prima facia, agree "That person should be allowed to purchase a firearm in the spirit of the Constitution and freedoms!"  

Person #2 is the same person as Person #1.  I just conveniently omit their deeper background story as our system allows and then wait 6 months for trouble to hit the fan.  We don't want Person #1 to have a weapon.  We're okay now, as a country, with person #2 having it...even though it's just the same person just having waited a few months for another episodic event and legal gun purchase.  

Somebody's making money on this, America.  And I sure as shit assure you---it ain't you.

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

There was finally SOME gun safety measures passed in 2022 thanks to Democrats once again giving up everything they wanted so the toy owners don’t get all upset 

The BiPartisan Safer Communities Act

- 750 million to states to implement Red Flag Laws

- Adds domestic abuser to NICS for 5 years 

- Enhanced review for under 21 buyers 

- 250 million for violence prevention initiatives 

- 1 billion for mental health programs in schools 

- 300 million for school hardening 

- Broadens definition of gun dealers

Only 14 Republicans in House voted yes. 15 in Senate

So- something passed, you’re saying. Want more? Me too. Elect more Democrats.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Anastasis said:

They’re the fucking reason we have a second amendment.  

We have 26 other amendments but we don’t obsess over those. We have to dig deeper to determine why we’re so deeply dysfunctional when it comes to gun love. It’s not as simple as blaming the kind of carnage we choose to live with on mental illness. The recent murder of the TCU student demands a closer examination as to why a guy with a gun sets out to murder people he doesn’t know just because he can.

29 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

Apparently they have more common sense, logic and decency than many of us do, but then again, gun-worshiping right-wingers are opposed to such forward thinking.  

Amazing the humility that rises to the surface after your empire crumbles. We’ll have our moment too. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

The Brits can go fuck themselves repeatedly. 

Your anger seems misplaced. The Brits correctly named our disorder.  We’re the only 1st world country with a macabre obsession with guns. There’s just no way to get around that fact.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/4/2023 at 10:59 PM, FartingDreamer said:

You don't think it's a case of the rest of the developed world, leaving us behind in regards to decency and regard for human life?

Anastasis holds human life in very high regard.  His religion directs him to.  He just holds his convenience with easily purchasing firearms to be paramount.  This is not the same moral failings inflicting the rest of the GOP.  That is something different. 

• Like 1

I’m still all for shooting redcoats, though.

“Calling all Trump heroes! Your dear leader needs you now more than ever so he can continue to fight to save your country and your guns. For $59.99, you can purchase the official “MAGA Coat of Freedom” - a fine looking compliment to the timeless MAGA hat you already wear. All proceeds go to the Save America Trump Legal Defense Fund.” *

* Disregard that dude hiding in the bushes over there. We don’t know what he’s waiting around for. He’s a little grumpy but probably harmless….
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Welcome to America's next big export.  Mass shootings.

14 year old Thai mass shooter was wearing a US flag hat.

Bangkok mall shooting: 'Mentally ill' schoolboy, 14, wearing US-flag cap  kills two and wounds five in gun rampage at upmarket Thai shopping mall  where all but one victim was female | Daily

Mitch's backstory prequel to "Dazed & Confused" looks fucked up as hell.  At least he can't rub the bridge of his nose in handcuffs, so that's something...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I'd never seen Death Wish (1974) with Charles Bronson before. It's been on late at night on MGM+ in the last few weeks. I finally watched the first 60-75 mins last night before turning it off because I had an early morning but holy crap is that a right-wing, gun-nut, NRA wet/fever dream of a movie -- at least the part I saw. This is the movie the Gravy Seals masturbate to.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

So I'd never seen Death Wish (1974) with Charles Bronson before. It's been on late at night on MGM+ in the last few weeks. I finally watched the first 60-75 mins last night before turning it off because I had an early morning but holy crap is that a right-wing, gun-nut, NRA wet/fever dream of a movie -- at least the part I saw. This is the movie the Gravy Seals masturbate to.

You should watch the sequels. 

• Haha 1

It's quiet around here... a little too quiet.

It's only a matter of time, but it's nice to have a little time go by when there isn't a mass casualty random mass shooting.

Boy, sure could get used to this.

7 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

You should watch the sequels. 

I remember when I was a kid, my dad took us to the drive-in to see one of the sequels. I don’t remember which one because my dad told the guy, “We’re here to see Charles.” This was in the early 80s when it was legal to drink and drive.

• Haha 1