• Video games and other incel behavior
  • lack of God in school
  • The Border!
  • What about Chicago?
  • pick your favorite Dem District Attorney
  • wind turbines
  • lithium batteries
  • TicTok

It's definitely not the guns, the romanticizing of guns, examples like Proud Boys cosplaying militia and storming the Capitol and worshiping incels like Kyle Rittenhouse for shooting people

EVERYTHING but the truth. fucking maddening

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

It's important to get them to admit. It isn't about safety, it isn't about hunting, it isn't about anything other than "i love muh guns because i was told to do so".

Go check out the gun worship on the gun nut thread. Lots of AR bros 

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I'm no criminal lawyer, but isn't that, like, evidence?

Twitter may have "scrubbed" his account but the data still exists, unless something REALLY untoward happened.

Fortunately, there's this:  

If that gets scrubbed, here's are screen shots of Robert Card's twitter activity. Elon Musk's name appears quite often.

F9Vzsn_XUAAm5vY.jpg

F9VzsoBXkAAFeKa.jpg

F9VzsoBWYAAOVJ7.jpg

F9VzsoAWcAAAuqU.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Foosters said:

Found on Reddit:

CDN media

Yep. This is what a lot of gun owners think and believe but are too afraid to express because they realize it makes them monsters. They just don't care. Their ability to play cowboy and worry about the threat of a government coming for them so they must repel those overwhelming forces means it's okay for men, women, and children to die. That's why they pivot to something else being to blame like nebulous insurmountable obstacles like mental illness. It's not the gun, the easy availability of both it and bullets, and the lax restrictions to get one. It's something easily solvable to them because there's no stakes in it for them like mental health. I mean, "it's not really that many people". It's not their family members that are getting blown away. Until it affects them, it won't make a difference. Even then, they'll come up with some bullshit rationalization like there should've been "a good guy with a gun there to stop the shooter". 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yep. This is what a lot of gun owners think and believe but are too afraid to express because they realize it makes them look like monsters. They just don't care. Their ability to play cowboy and worry about the threat of a government coming for them so they must repel those overwhelming forces means it's okay for men, women, and children to die. That's why they pivot to something else being to blame like nebulous insurmountable obstacles like mental illness. It's not the gun, the easy availability of both it and bullets, and the lax restrictions to get one. It's something easily solvable to them because there's no stakes in it for them like mental health. I mean, "it's not really that many people". It's not their family members that are getting blown away. Until it affects them, it won't make a difference. Even then, they'll come up with some bullshit rationalization like there should've been "a good guy with a gun there to stop the shooter". 

FIFY.  They're already monsters.  They just don't want to be recognized as such.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t believe that every school, business and residence within a 50 mile radius of Lewiston would be on lockdown if the suspect was believed to be armed with butter knife. It’s the gun that makes him dangerous. Stop pretending not to know this, America.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

They did say earlier that he owns "hundreds" of acres near where the shootings took place.

999 acres is 1.25 miles x 1.25 miles.  The suspect's land could be quite a bit smaller.  Regardless, it's not exactly impossible to comb with dozens of law enforcement officers.

12 hours ago, Gengs1 said:

spacer.png

if this above didn’t make any change, nothing will. We just need to accept our family may get gunned down won a Wednesday night at a restaurant and that we won’t do anything about it 

When you have to actually look (too young for Marjorie Stoneman Taylor and too white for Uvalde) to figure out which school shooting it was.

12 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Some new ones lately and some oldies

• Genetically modified marijuana
  • ADHD medicine
  • Vaccines
  • Video games and other incel behavior
  • lack of God in school
  • The Border!
  • What about Chicago?
  • pick your favorite Dem District Attorney
  • wind turbines
  • lithium batteries
  • TicTok

It's definitely not the guns, the romanticizing of guns, examples like Proud Boys cosplaying militia and storming the Capitol and worshiping incels like Kyle Rittenhouse for shooting people

Hmmm . . . no Hunter Biden?

28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

999 acres is 1.25 miles x 1.25 miles.  The suspect's land could be quite a bit smaller.  Regardless, it's not exactly impossible to comb with dozens of law enforcement officers.

It’s Maine law enforcement. It’s not exactly Interpol up there. It’s Larry, Darryl and his other brother Darryl.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Bullneck said:

When you have to actually look (too young for Marjorie Stoneman Taylor and too white for Uvalde) to figure out which school shooting it was.

Sad that I knew it was Sandy Hook right away.

And sad that I cried at the Sandy Hook news, and now I just sigh or shake my head.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

I didn't check if this was already posted, but listen to this 10-year old:

Just, like shocking. Like, it is something that you think never would happen. I never thought I'd grow up and get a bullet in my leg. Why? Like, why do people do this?

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/never-thought-id-grow-up-and-get-a-bullet-in-my-leg-says-10-year-old-victim-in-maine#audio

Welcome to America Zoey. Our generations have failed you. Maybe you can help do something about it.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

One of the more infuriating parts to the conservative reactions to these mass shootings is "we don't want to politicize this tragedy", which is utter malarky of the highest order.  The truth of the situation is that these deaths are acceptable to them.  The gun violence, school shootings, etc. represent an acceptable level of death so that they can keep their assault weapons.  So spare us the thoughts and prayers - you've crunched the numbers of this and decided that you're OK with an Uvalde every now and then.  Republicans do a lot of disingenuous gaslighting, but their stance on guns is maybe the worst.  If they spent an ounce of the time they waste on keeping certain books out of schools, we'd cut gun violence in half.

• Hook 'Em 6

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

"And risk getting shot??? Are you kidding?! I'm just trying to get home safe to my family tonight." - Some cop in Maine...probably. 

1 hour ago, Bookman said:

I didn't check if this was already posted, but listen to this 10-year old:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/never-thought-id-grow-up-and-get-a-bullet-in-my-leg-says-10-year-old-victim-in-maine#audio

Welcome to America Zoey. Our generations have failed you. Maybe you can help do something about it.

Old people are dying and there are more Zoey's getting to voting age. Save us, please.

51 minutes ago, Keef said:

One of the more infuriating parts to the conservative reactions to these mass shootings is "we don't want to politicize this tragedy", which is utter malarky of the highest order.  The truth of the situation is that these deaths are acceptable to them.  The gun violence, school shootings, etc. represent an acceptable level of death so that they can keep their assault weapons.  So spare us the thoughts and prayers - you've crunched the numbers of this and decided that you're OK with an Uvalde every now and then.  Republicans do a lot of disingenuous gaslighting, but their stance on guns is maybe the worst.  If they spent an ounce of the time they waste on keeping certain books out of schools, we'd cut gun violence in half.

Spot on. It's disgusting contempt for the lives of other Americans.

The number of dead citizens they are okay with as long as they get to keep their guns is ∞. 

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=7c28fcd00b28842

Edited by Pods
  • Like 1

The family of the Army reservist accused of fatally shooting more than a dozen people in Lewiston, Maine, alerted police and military officials that he was experiencing an “acute” mental health episode before the Wednesday night massacre, his sister-in-law said.

Robert Card, 40, a firearms instructor and longtime member of the Army Reserve, began to hear voices that were saying “horrible” things about him a couple of months ago when he was fitted for high-powered hearing aids, said Katie Card, who is married to his brother.

Follow along for live coverage

“He was picking up voices that he had never heard,” she told NBC News. “His mind was twisting them around. He was humiliated by the things that he thought were being said.”

Katie Card said the family did their best to reassure Robert Card that the comments were not real, including by verifying with some of the people he claimed had made the remarks.

But, she said, “it turned into a manic belief.”

“He was just very set in his belief that everyone was against him all of a sudden,” she said.

Robert Card, who was still at large Thursday, is accused of killing at least 18 people and injuring many others at a bar and a bowling alley, police said.

His sister-in-law said the family reached out to police and his Army Reserve base as they “got increasingly concerned" in the last couple of months.

“We just reached out to make sure everyone was on the same page, because he is someone who does gun training,” she said. “We were concerned about his mental state. That’s all.”

Her husband went “back and forth” with the Army, Katie Card said.

“They were following up on it, too, but he’s never been someone we thought would actually do anything,” she said.

The Army confirmed Robert Card’s status with the Reserve, but it did it not directly address the family's claim that loved ones had shared their concerns before the attack.

Two senior law enforcement officials said Card’s unit commanders sent him to receive psychiatric treatment this summer after they became concerned about threats he made to the base and his claims that he was hearing voices.

Card spent about two weeks undergoing inpatient psychiatric treatment and was released, the officials said. It is not clear what further action was taken.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/family-maine-shooting-suspect-says-mental-health-deteriorated-rapidly-rcna122353

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

Sad that I knew it was Sandy Hook right away.

And sad that I cried at the Sandy Hook news, and now I just sigh or shake my head.

Yeah, Sandy Hook was utterly shocking. Then it became the new "normal." Sadly. It took Uvalde to bring to my knees again, mostly because of the scope being on par with Sandy Hook, the utterly incompetent response by Texas law enforcement and me having some thin family ties to that town. Fuck this disgusting relationship many in this country have with firearms.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The deaths aren't just acceptable to Republicans. They're desired. Mass shootings have become an essential element of modern Republican politics. They galvanize their own supporters by reigniting fear of the left taking their guns, they scare wayward Christians back into churches, they scare people into taking their kids out of public schools, and they scare people into avoiding secular public spaces more generally. It's the same goals as any religiously-based terrorist organization.

This can't be repeated enough.  To the GQP, mass shootings are not just tolerated, not just a "price to be paid for our freedoms."  THEY ARE DESIRED.  THEY ARE ONE OF THE KEY POLITICAL TOOLS THEY USE TO KEEP THEIR BASE IN LINE.

Republicans want MORE OF THIS, not less.  It is plain and true.  Never forget it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3

17 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Sorry, I don't buy this bullshit from Golden. 

Oh, now that YOUR family and constituents are in possible danger, you've changed your mind about assault weapons? Fuck you. Too many people in the country are unable to empathize unless they are directly affected. Again, fuck you. This is just political survival and an act of selfishness disguised as something noble. And mostly everyone falls for it. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Sorry, I don't buy this bullshit from Golden. 
Oh, now that YOUR family and constituents are in possible danger, you've changed your mind about assault weapons? Fuck you. Too many people in the country are unable to empathize unless they are directly affected. Again, fuck you. This is just political survival and an act of selfishness disguised as something noble. And mostly everyone falls for it. 

I don't know about that. Distrusting science, statistics or reputable news in favor of feelings and ancendotal evidence is a core principle of the GOP.

Don't believe me, just ask them.

5 hours ago, Keef said:

So spare us the thoughts and prayers

I'm quoting just a small part of your apt post. 

When they say they don't want a shooting to become political because we need to focus on healing the shattered community, they don't do a fucking thing. They don't go personally console survivors. They don't do anything other than thoughts and prayers. They don't have a public gathering maybe in a cathedral. Nothing.

I've always thought the expression thoughts and prayers as one of the most empty in our language. Something about the abbreviation "T&P" makes it even emptier. 

Am I to believe that these good men are on their knees praying to God at length? That they go to their studies and sit in deep thought about the tragedy?

T&P just focuses us on the hollowness of American morality. Lip service, greed, fear, hate. Those are the picks and shovels that excavated the American soul such as it was.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This can't be repeated enough.  To the GQP, mass shootings are not just tolerated, not just a "price to be paid for our freedoms."  THEY ARE DESIRED.  THEY ARE ONE OF THE KEY POLITICAL TOOLS THEY USE TO KEEP THEIR BASE IN LINE.

Republicans want MORE OF THIS, not less.  It is plain and true.  Never forget it.

4 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

The deaths aren't just acceptable to Republicans. They're desired. Mass shootings have become an essential element of modern Republican politics. They galvanize their own supporters by reigniting fear of the left taking their guns, they scare wayward Christians back into churches, they scare people into taking their kids out of public schools, and they scare people into avoiding secular public spaces more generally. It's the same goals as any religiously-based terrorist organization.

Not just this, it's a business decision on top of that. Gun manufacturers make BANK after mass shootings.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

When they say they don't want a shooting to become political because we need to focus on healing the shattered community, they don't do a fucking thing. They don't go personally console survivors. They don't do anything other than thoughts and prayers. They don't have a public gathering maybe in a cathedral. Nothing.

they don't even do this, they just say this.

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I've always thought the expression thoughts and prayers as one of the most empty in our language. Something about the abbreviation "T&P" makes it even emptier. 

i could be off base here, but pretty sure turning it into an abbreviation was an attempt to minimize and belittle their nonsense, and likely originated with people like us, who weren't buying their bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Guess they found a note left by the shooter that he didn't expect to be found alive. Or maybe that was intended to give him additional cover while he escaped. I don't know. I can't believe they haven't found him or a body yet.

Or maybe he plans to die fighting. Crazy motherfucker.