Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

On 5/18/2024 at 8:15 AM, LTtxfan said:

Is Graham Harmon or Gig Em Gazette a real thing or some AI/ChatGPT generated "fan site"? I can't find a pic of Harmon online anywhere. Here's another gem article from him:

https://gigemgazette.com/posts/anonymous-coaches-survey-weigman-will-be-elite-ewers-slammed-as-overhyped?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3J9Qr0T7HmBeJyXYsrXysOzRg-uLiNQMfhkFE1bAIX9khbMC0ZJz3SweU_aem_AXb0D-ePvrx12MxekEC9O9TABQOYoGUVU4SCBnB7l-qoJbr4xmncDa7mOrZnshoHyBdylILpzwhXW5IawuiX0o98

Texas A&M football: Anonymous coaches survey from The Athletic says Weigman "will be elite"; Longhorns' Quinn Ewers called "overhyped"

It's getting close to the summer time, and as Texas A&M football fans well know, that means it's talking season. One of the staples of this time of year, no matter the sport, is the anonymous industry survey of coaches. Outlets will often consult their coaching sources for quotes on everything ranging from rule changes, to other coaches, to players in the sport.

It is this latter category that is the subject of this article. The Athletic conducted a survey of college football coaches to ask them about the upcoming class of quarterbacks, given the hugely talented crop we just saw hit the NFL in last month's draft.

The results were illuminating. Carson Beck drew rave reviews; Shedeur Sanders was given his fair share of respect; opinions were shared on Jaxson Dart, Cam Ward, and others. It's definitely worth the read if you have a subscription—the article is paywalled.

The most striking thing to me, however, was the contrast in evaluation between Texas A&M football's Conner Weigman and Texas's Quinn Ewers. There is no shortage of hype for the latter after the year the Longhorns just had—after all, his name continues to be mentioned as a leader in preseason Heisman discussions—but Weigman remains a bit underexposed after having only started eight total games over the past two years.

Nevertheless, the Aggie signal caller was the object of high praise; a Power 4 DC who faced Weigman called him "very gifted and very tough." That same coach went on to say Conner was "the most complete quarterback I've seen in awhile... he will be elite." He closed with the quip, "He's scary."

I'm not telling Aggie fans anything they don't know here, but seeing an opposing coach lavish praise on #15 like this is nice. What was not so nice, though, was the way opposing coaches spoke about Quinn Ewers, the golden child down in Austin (one of them, at least).

Ewers was skewered as "inconsistent," "overhyped," and "average athletically." An opposing DB coach remarked that "you just see a bunch of stuff where you wonder what he's doing out there." Another coach acknowledged how good of a job Steve Sarkisian does "setting things up for him," but remarked that, even with that inherent advantage, there are points where he still "seems to be a little timid."

Ewers has returned to Austin for his fourth year of college football after his draft prospects failed to rise highly enough—it's hard to imagine him having been higher than a late day 2 pick at most this last year. Given these evaluations, it seems like he has a long way to go before he even comes close to the first-round projections that his recruitment drew.

This will be an extremely interesting storyline to follow this year. I doubt you will find many Texas fans who are lower on Ewers than they are on Weigman, but that perception seems to be out of step with the evaluation of coaches around the country. Can Ewers turn that around? Given all we've seen from him for two years now, I wouldn't bet on it.

• Haha 5

• Replies 73.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

52 minutes ago, TxEx84 said:

Yeah, 1975 is the only one I remember that was two top ten teams.  Aggy went right for Marty Akins injured knee in 1st quarter to knock him out.  Cheap shot, bastards.

48 minutes ago, statsman said:

In 1975, #2 undefeated Aggy beat one loss Texas 20-10, in B/CS (that was the game where they intentionally took out QB Marty Akins’ knees). The Ags had the inside lane on not only the Cotton Bowl, but the MnC after the win. 

Of course they lost the next game, upset by Arkansas, and then lost the Liberty Bowl to USC. They finished 10th and Texas finished (after a bowl win over top 10 Colorado) 6th. 

Poor Aggies. 

I was at the game against TCU when he got that knee injured.  All the air went out of the stadium.  Wasn't it Lester Hayes who targeted his knee in the Thanksgiving game?   

A&M always had the propensity to choke when the stakes got high.  Always.  Still do.  I expect nothing less from their appearance in the CWS.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, nnm said:

Meanwhile, at the University of Texas, the hype surrounding players like quarterback Sam Chilton seems disproportionate to their impact on the field.

Can't argue with that...

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Well, found a picture of Graham -- apparently, the only one -- and it's probably just what you'd expect.

Screenshot2024-05-21at4_59_54PM.png.79087d6bfaa8bd9e20fd3183802ec8f9.png

I'm willing to bet she drives a Subaru.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Have you read the one where the "anonymous coach" said Weigman was one of the most talented QB's he's seen, but never mentions he's only played 8 games in 2 seasons. But that "coach" was just so enamored with Weigman's talent that he thinks he could take them to heights they haven't been to before. Like, OK, bud. 

Sure thing, Mrs. Harmon, er I mean "anonymous coach". 

15 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Have you read the one where the "anonymous coach" said Weigman was one of the most talented QB's he's seen, but never mentions he's only played 8 games in 2 seasons. But that "coach" was just so enamored with Weigman's talent that he thinks he could take them to heights they haven't been to before. Like, OK, bud. 

Sure thing, Mrs. Harmon, er I mean "anonymous coach". 

Yeah, that came across my feed under SI.  Same article also went into how Quinn was going to be shown up as a bust, and the real gem of the SEC was going to end up being Weigman.   No mention of the situation if Quinn actually does do poorly and is replaced by Arch.  

Just a bunch of drivel to collect clicks, and each click makes a sound on the aggie annual roller coaster.

On 5/20/2024 at 11:32 AM, Armybrat said:

Watched Rene Ramirez (The Galloping Gaucho) and Bobby Lackey wreck the Golden Bears 33-0. 

Pride of my hometown Weslaco Panthers

Got to watch a game with him in Weslaco a few years ago up in the press box. Really cool to hear his UT stories.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Yeah, that came across my feed under SI.  Same article also went into how Quinn was going to be shown up as a bust, and the real gem of the SEC was going to end up being Weigman.   No mention of the situation if Quinn actually does do poorly and is replaced by Arch.  

Just a bunch of drivel to collect clicks, and each click makes a sound on the aggie annual roller coaster.

Yep, and i can't remember who said it, but they went full regard and said Quinn will be replaced by Arch by the Georgia game, I believe. Sure thing, guy. It just makes them sweat knowing Texas is getting so much love. Their coping is amazing to witness. 

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

a Power 4 DC who faced Weigman called him "very gifted and very tough." That same coach went on to say Conner was "the most complete quarterback I've seen in awhile... he will be elite." He closed with the quip, "He's scary."

Wait, so some coach said this ? One dude? So let's write a story? "He's scary"?

He should also write a story about me laying pipe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

You don’t get it? They’re gonna give him a rimming he’ll never forget 

Well, I guess when you come at it from that perspective, it all makes sense. All I needed was someone skilled in the art of subliminal gay messaging from the 1950’s to figure it out. 

In reality, I just thought it was weird that they were using an old guy as the UT athlete, looking like an idiot, to boot, and that they were implying he was about to have some good fun in the act of cannibalism. 

• Haha 2

On 5/20/2024 at 3:42 PM, hornian said:

And what does that make A&M in this analogy? The people who pay protection money? I'd much rather be the one who is getting money at the threat of violence than the one paying money to ward off violence. 

Tattaglia. Here are the Mannings discussing them.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, nnm said:

You may be onto something here.

Here’s my Chat GPT prompt:  Write a newspaper article which explains that Texas A&M is the most under-appreciated football program in America and the most likely to win the next national championship. Include a discussion of why the star players at the University of Texas are overrated and not likely to succeed. 

Result:

Hide contents

### Texas A&M: The Unsung Titan of College Football Poised for Championship Glory

**COLLEGE STATION, TX** — In the sprawling landscape of college football, where media hype often overshadows genuine skill, Texas A&M University's football program stands as a beacon of understated excellence. As the Aggies gear up for another season, the murmurs from College Station suggest a storm brewing—one that could very well end in a national championship.

For years, Texas A&M has been the wallflower at the dance, watching as other programs grabbed headlines and top billing. Yet, beneath this quiet demeanor lies a powerhouse program rich with talent, strategy, and ambition. The Aggies have not only recruited top-tier talent but have fostered an environment where athletes thrive under pressure, learn the virtues of teamwork, and execute plays with precision rarely seen on the collegiate gridiron.

In stark contrast, the stars of the University of Texas, often lauded as the crown jewels of college football, have not consistently translated their high school accolades into college success. Despite their top recruits, the Longhorns have struggled to maintain a top-tier status in the rankings, often faltering at critical moments during the season.

The difference maker for Texas A&M has been their ability to harness raw talent and mold it into something greater. The coaching staff at A&M, known for their tactical acumen, have consistently outmaneuvered their counterparts with innovative play-calling and a deep understanding of the game’s evolving dynamics. This approach has not only built a strong team spirit but has also prepared the Aggies to face the powerhouse teams with confidence and poise.

Looking ahead, the prospects for Texas A&M capturing the national championship appear bright. Their recruitment strategy, focused on versatility and resilience, has equipped them with players capable of adapting to any game scenario. Players like quarterback Jake Johnson, who has shown exceptional poise and leadership in high-stress games, are indicative of A&M’s depth of talent.

Meanwhile, at the University of Texas, the hype surrounding players like quarterback Sam Chilton seems disproportionate to their impact on the field. While undoubtedly skilled, Chilton and his cohort have yet to prove that they can carry their team through the challenges of a high-octane season where every game counts.

As the college football season approaches, the eyes of Texas might be upon the Longhorns, but those in the know are watching Texas A&M. It’s there, in College Station, where the seeds of a national championship are being sown, away from the glaring spotlight but very much in the heart of American football excellence. The time is ripe for the Aggies to step out of the shadows and into the blaze of glory that has eluded them for too long.

Take 2. 
Chat GPT prompt:  Write a newspaper article explaining that Texas A&M’s hiring of new head football coach Mike Elko is leading to a culture change which will result in a national championship this year. Include a discussion of why the quarterback controversy at the University of Texas between current QB Quinn Ewers and rising sophomore Arch Manning will result in a disappointing season for the University of Texas, particularly because of the week-to-week grind of a SEC football schedule. 

Result:

Reveal hidden contents

**Texas A&M Eyes National Championship with New Coach Mike Elko at the Helm**

College Station, TX – In a bold move that has revitalized the Texas A&M football program, the Aggies' decision to bring on Mike Elko as their head coach is already promising to redefine their season, positioning them as a top contender for this year’s national championship. Elko, known for his strategic acumen and leadership, has quickly instituted a culture of discipline and high performance, stirring both excitement and high expectations among fans and players alike.

Elko's approach has been transformative, focusing on robust defense and a dynamic offense that leverages the talents of seasoned players. Under his guidance, the Aggies have developed a cohesive unit, with a clear vision for victory and a no-nonsense approach to competition. “We are building a program that believes in complete preparation and execution,” Elko stated in a recent press conference. “Our goal is nothing short of a national championship.”

Meanwhile, over in Austin, the University of Texas is facing a tumultuous season, marred by a brewing quarterback controversy that threatens to derail their ambitions. Current quarterback Quinn Ewers and rising sophomore Arch Manning are at the center of a heated battle for the starting spot, creating uncertainty and division within the team. This instability is particularly ill-timed as the Longhorns prepare to navigate the relentless week-to-week grind of a SEC football schedule, known for its intense physical and mental demands.

Experts predict that the quarterback dilemma could lead to inconsistent team performance and strategic hesitations. “When you have two quarterbacks, you don’t have one,” commented a seasoned sports analyst, highlighting the distraction and disruption caused by such uncertainties. As the Longhorns struggle to find their rhythm, the constant pressure and high stakes of the SEC could exacerbate the situation, leading to a disappointing season.

In contrast, Texas A&M’s stable leadership under Elko and the unified vision he has fostered are proving to be the Aggies' greatest strengths. With a clear starting lineup and a well-defined game plan, the Aggies are demonstrating the kind of consistency and focus that championship teams are made of.

As the season progresses, all eyes will be on Texas A&M to see if Coach Elko can maintain the momentum and seize the championship opportunity. Simultaneously, the University of Texas will need to resolve its quarterback woes to avoid a season that falls short of expectations. The tale of these two teams encapsulates the thrilling highs and unforgiving lows of college football, where leadership can make or break a team’s championship dreams.

Took me 30 seconds each time. That’ll be $16 per month. Thanks. 

Sam Chilton needs to be benched NOW! 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Wait, so some coach said this ? One dude? So let's write a story? "He's scary"?

He should also write a story about me laying pipe.

There is actually an Athletic story that Graham cherry-picks the quotes from for his "article." In the same article, the Athletic's primary NFL Draft guy says he expects Ewers to go #14 in the 1st round.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

There is actually an Athletic story that Graham cherry-picks the quotes from for his "article." In the same article, the Athletic's primary NFL Draft guy says he expects Ewers to go #14 in the 1st round.

Graham is surely a graduate of the Looch School of Journalism and Grift.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I just want to pause for a second and relive the absolutely amazing way aggy imploded last year and fired their coach without any Plan B and had to pay him the biggest buyout in history. That just makes me laugh and laugh. 

I'm not sure if we would categorize that as peak aggy or typical aggy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I just want to pause for a second and relive the absolutely amazing way aggy imploded last year and fired their coach without any Plan B and had to pay him the biggest buyout in history. That just makes me laugh and laugh. 

It’s not polite to laugh at other’s misfortunes.

Just f’ing with you. It’s hilarious.
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

IMG_8862.gif

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

And the same idiots are still in charge - with the addition of another doofus Texas hater, the AD from Nebraska.

• Haha 1