Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

How does John Sharpe and Bjork still have jobs today?    You'd think the head of the aggy BOR would've called Sharpe yesterday and said it's time for you to think about seriously retiring .

Yeah, this on top of the aggy journalism fiasco that cost the school $1M settlement to Kathleen McElroy, that institution is having a bang-up year!

2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

His schtick would play so much better in college.

but he’d be an idiot to leave Detroit… but considering he is aggy, maybe he would?

The dude has never had to program build or recruit or deal with transfer portals and NIL -- yeah, he's sticking in the NFL

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I always thought Dollar Bill Byrne was a tool until Bjork was hired.    My gosh what an arrogant prick.

Bill Byrne is a massive tool. Period.

2 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

A motivated Mack Brown would kill it at ATM.

I don’t see him leaving the stud QB he has at UNC though.

Drake Maye will be playing on Sundays next season.

• Replies 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

On NPR, they said no public money would be used to pay the buy out. How the fuck is that possible? They may make a couple of payments using donor money but they are eventually going to need to use institutional funds or do funky accounting that makes it look like it not institional money. They are lying liars.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On NPR, they said no public money would be used to pay the buy out. How the fuck is that possible? They may make a couple of payments using donor money but they are eventually going to need to use institutional funds or do funky accounting that makes it look like it not institional money. They are lying liars.

Athletic Department is separate from the University and the 12th foundation just gave the AD a check for $160m.

4 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

I'm beginning to think my prediction is going to come true: they're simply not going to pay it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

From yesterday; not directed solely at A&M or Jimbo, but good read:

https://theathletic.com/5056968/2023/11/12/jimbo-fisher-buyout-college-coaches/

When I die, I want to come back to earth as a college football coaching agent.

Forget Alabama versus Chattanooga or Brett Yormark versus George Kliavkoff. There is no more lopsided contest in this sport than Jimmy Sexton versus SEC athletic directors. He and his ilk have done a masterful job of exploiting schools’ emotion-driven coaching searches and amateurish negotiators to the tune of hundreds of millions in their clients’ bank accounts, whether they’re successful or whether they fail spectacularly.

Texas A&M fired Jimbo Fisher on Sunday, invoking what was universally derided at the time as the sport’s most lopsided contract, one that will cost a staggering $77 million in guaranteed buyout money. Fisher earned $75 million before he even coached a game, then got a new $90 million deal — also fully guaranteed — following a 9-1 record in the weird and deceiving 2020 season.

Three seasons and a 19-15 record later, he will be paid a sum greater than a Mountain West school’s entire athletics budget and let someone else make gobs of money chasing glory.

An econ professor or Fortune 500 CEO would probably find the college football coaching market hilariously inefficient. The schools often negotiate against themselves, paying a coach far more than it would actually take for him to come there or stay there mostly because others are doing the same. They rush to lock themselves into stratospheric obligations to guys not named Kirby Smart or Nick Saban, then go begging for donations when they somehow can’t balance their budgets.

Texas A&M might be the most recognizable offender, but it’s not like other schools haven’t done the same thing.

Spoiler

Two years ago, Penn State gave James Franklin a 10-year, $85 million contract amid speculation that USC maybe, possibly might try to steal him away after the season. On Saturday, Nittany Lions fans mercilessly booed Franklin as he walked through the tunnel exiting Beaver Stadium after yet another loss to a top-10 opponent. This would normally be a time when the school stopped to consider whether someone else might be better equipped to lead the Nittany Lions to Big Ten championships, except it would cost the school $65 million to send him packing.

Around that same time, Michigan State gave Mel Tucker his infamous $95 million deal less than two years into his tenure. Two years later, the Spartans are terrible, and if Tucker hadn’t sabotaged his employment, the school would still be on the hook for roughly $80 million of it.

Despite the fact roughly half of coaches wind up getting fired eventually, nobody ever thinks their coach will be one of them, so nobody stops to consider whether committing so much money to one person is a financially prudent move. Clemson gave Dabo Swinney the biggest contract in college sports history — 10 years, $115 million — last year. At the time, throwing that much money at a two-time national championship coach probably made all the sense in the world, but a year later, Clemson is 6-4, enduring its worst season in 13 years. No one would rationally suggest the school should fire him for it, but what if things don’t get better over the next couple of years?

But also: Who exactly was Clemson competing with when it gave Dabo that monstrous contract? Did it think he was going to leave for another job if it gave him only $105 million instead of $115 million?

And it’s not just the blue bloods making rash and financially prohibitive deals.

Long-suffering Indiana was so elated that Tom Allen led the Hoosiers to a No. 12 ranking in 2020 — with a 6-2 record, mind you — that it gave him an incredibly one-sided new contract. Understandably concerned that a more prestigious program might pluck him away, it put in a clause that he would owe 50 percent back were he to leave prior to the 2022 season, but after that just $4 million. But IU, of course, owes the full amount (currently $20.8 million) if it wants to let go of a coach who is 9-25 since signing the deal.

Prior to Sunday, that $20.8 million figure would have been the second-highest buyout on record, trailing only Auburn’s $21.45 million payout to Gus Malzahn after the 2020 season. But Texas A&M just broke that record by roughly 259 percent, and now, much how that school normalized gigantic guaranteed contracts when it hired Jimbo, it will likely open the floodgates to other schools paying previously unheard-of buyouts.

On the list of world problems, football coaches getting enormous buyouts is not remotely close to the top of the list. Even within college athletics, there are more pressing concerns, like a multibillion dollar suit against the NCAA and the Power 5 conferences arguing athletes deserve a share of TV revenue, and multiple cases involving the threat of athletes being classified as employees.

However, these horribly negotiated coaching contracts go hand in hand with the other issues. In the months and years to come, you will hear no shortage of administrators in courtrooms and in the media decrying all the negative consequences sure to come if the NCAA model changes — non-revenue sports being cut, women’s athletes being marginalized, etc.

Yet any plaintiff’s attorney could easily look at the USA Today coaches salary database and say … really? Do you think perhaps the reason you’re going broke is because you’re paying people well into eight figures only to vanish from your payroll?

The only way this trend is ever going to stop, though, is if the schools start exercising some common-sense restraint in their negotiations. It might mean that — brace yourself — sometimes a school’s No. 1 choice might be to say no. And that’s OK. Sometimes the less-obvious guy winds up faring better than the big-splash guy. See: Arizona’s Jedd Fisch, who took over a disaster of a program and has it ranked in the top 20 in his third year.

It might mean that sometimes the guy doing very well opts to leave for another school because his current one won’t give in to this agent’s completely unreasonable salary ask and umpteen demands about facilities improvements and whatnot. And, with the exception of the top five or so coaches in the country, that’s OK, too.

But the current market is just ludicrously one-sided, with no sign of letting up.

Being a college athletic director can be a fun job with a seven-figure salary and lots of perks.

But I’d much rather be on the other side of the table from one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

TAMU, theoretically is an institution of high learning. As we all know they pump out an enormous amount of falsehoods presented as facts. The media isn't aware of their penchant for presenting lies as facts. 

Media outlets will often accept and repeat statements by a university because it's not normal for universities to fucking lie about mundane facts the way TAMU does.

Nobody expects a University to live and breathe off of cultish mythology the way aggy does.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Where is this “aggy has the most money” shit coming from? Just saw finebaum say aggy could buy bama, auburn and Florida and that Texas is second on most money? 

I watched that segment. He was talking in general about the state of Texas and both universities. His reference to aggy is as you described but it was tied to being a member of the SEC. He went on to say that Texas will have the most money next year when they join the SEC. 

Edited by Wishbone

From the article- "Despite the fact roughly half of coaches wind up getting fired eventually, nobody ever thinks their coach will be one of them, so nobody stops to consider whether committing so much money to one person is a financially prudent move"

Gee, half end in failure but everyone is too in love to worry about that.  There's a thread about this somewhere...

5 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

that doesn't mean that they will not comingle the money. Remember when their University lent money to their Athletic department? Did they ever pay that back? 

Can’t they just bump the Athletics Fee up $50/semester on their tuition fee bill?

70K (students) x $50 x 2 (semesters - Fall & Spring) =
$7 million

They do this every year for the next 7 years and they don’t even notice Jumbo’s buyout after the initial lump payment due within 60 days. 

• Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Not a cat said:

From the article- "Despite the fact roughly half of coaches wind up getting fired eventually, nobody ever thinks their coach will be one of them, so nobody stops to consider whether committing so much money to one person is a financially prudent move"

Gee, half end in failure but everyone is too in love to worry about that.  There's a thread about this somewhere...

"Aggy sheep and the stupid shit they say/do"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Saw that some WVU fans want Jimbo to "go home" to coach for them. They could pay him $100 a year to troll aggy.

I expect Gus Mahlzahn would be high on aggy's list. As far as I can tell he's the best coach to ever coach in the history of coaching. 

they should pay him $12 a year and call him the $12th man 

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm old enough to remember when aggy hired Sherrill from pitt in the early 80s.  It was for something like 250k per year which basically doubled everyone else and was a huge deal in the media at the time.

Now they've done the same thing with buyouts and very likely the next coach, who is not gonna take under 10mm if he's smart enough to spot the sucker.

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Now that you mention it, I believe I was as well.  

I had a hard time finding the stadium, but these nice aggy folks showed me where it was. 

My sister taught at Blinn and is a big Aggy supporter. She was kind enough to get a ticket to take me to the game. I am willing to forgive her aggyness due to this kindness. We sat behind the 3-4 rows of folding chairs aggy had put out in the corner of the EZ. I want to say we were at the end opposite of where we blocked the punt. I think.

I managed to snag 2 tickets (took my girlfriend, now wife. No pics) to the BigXii CG to watch us destroy Colorado. 

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, NoName said:

except that SC is a significantly better, easier and guaranteed job. he has a great QB room there vs whatever shitshow he walks into at A&M, he has the inside scoop to the school/program via Henson and who would rather live in College Station than the greater LA area? you think his wife is going to be fine w/ that considering they just got out of the shithole that is Norman?

"can't recruit at SC" - you think it's harder to recruit to Southern Cal than it is to OU? lol

maxresdefault.jpg

Except that he's not recruiting well at SC.  Supposedly, there has been some friction between him and the boosters.  He wants more money for NIL and facilities.  Monet not a problem for the Ags.  However, CS vs the house in the Palisades.....?

Would love all of this talk about money to backfire on them.

Ross - Hey Dan, its Ross. We'd love for you to come take 8&4, excuse me, A&M to a new level. We believe you are the best available and a way better coach than we have ever had.

Dan - I appreciate that and all but I already have Oregon at that level. Not to mention all the Nike money behind me.

Ross - Pissshhh, Nike? We at A&M have thrice the means and are willing to win at no cost.

Dan - No cost you say? Well, I'm certainly listening. However, I don't want to risk our conversation leaking to jeopardize the season we are having. So I just need you to cut to the chase and give me a number.

Ross - You are our #1 target so we are prepared to offer 7 years of $70M.

Dan - Oh ok, that sounds good.

Ross - Good? That's a 30% raise, you should be thrilled! Remember, we have more money than anyone!

Dan - When you say it that way I guess I should be thrilled. But... well... let me think about it.

Ross - But what, what is there to think about? This a chance to come back to the mighty SEC. Remember it just means more. Plus you get a nice big raise to boot.

Dan - Yes, yes that is true. Then I can't help but recall you just paid $76M for Jimbob to NOT coach at your school again.

Ross - Jimbo? Well, I can't get into specific numbers but approximately.

Dan - Yeah Jimbo I mean. Yet you are offering me $70?

Ross - Yes, but you see

Dan - See what? You just told me you had more money than anyone.

Ross - I did but...

Dan - No, no buts. You do or you don't.

Ross - Yes we do but it doesn't really work like that. We have to Enron our books for a few years. Just a small bump in the road, hence the 7 year offer.

Dan - Maybe we can talk again after the season.

Ross - After the season? I'm sorry but we can't wait that long, we have to move soon. What would it take?

Dan - Well, I know you like the whole world to perceive you have more money than anyone. I know you like to be the talk of the media...

Ross - Yes, yes..

Dan - So let's show the world and send the media into a frenzy.

Ross - Yes, yes, yes!!!!

Dan - 10/150, fully guaranteed because I am way better than that bitch Dumbo. Sorry, I mean Jimbo. Oh and let's not forget, no offset. It's a win-win. You get the coach, the perception and all the media time. In turn, you make it worth my while to deal with male cheerleaders, the cringe worthy turditions and that shit hole you call a town.

Ross - Um... I'll be in touch. (click)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Except that he's not recruiting well at SC.  Supposedly, there has been some friction between him and the boosters.  He wants more money for NIL and facilities.  Monet not a problem for the Ags.  However, CS vs the house in the Palisades.....?

On the other hand, it is the only place in America that might overlook that brisket. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

I'm surprised Gus Malzahn hasn't at least been mentioned.

He could actually do decent enough job and cost a lot less than all the other candidates they're throwing around.

And it would totally fit the in the SEC mold of retread coaches getting their 9th or 10th shot.

He has to be salty about losing the Biggest Buyout Ever Trophy to Jimbo.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

I have this question too.

1 hour ago, Candi Fisther said:

Athletic Department is separate from the University and the 12th foundation just gave the AD a check for $160m.

Where the fuck is this information coming from?  

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

They're going to mail him a roll of 15M of these bad boys:

red500rollticket1-600x600.jpg

I'm surprised Leipold isn't getting more run.  Dude has done something in CFB that is very, very hard to do - win at Kansas.
Not splashy enough for aggy. They play big boy football, havent you heard? The BDF is like New Mexico state replicated into 14 teams.

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

They are going to have to pay out the ass for any name coach.  Someone like Traylor would sign a normal one.

That is the problem with agreeing to a ridiculous, out of the norm, contract for a coach.  If the next coach doesn’t demand the same treatment, he is a fuckin idiot who lacks a killer instinct necessary for success.   Meanwhile, most of the coaches who will actively seek out such a contract are washed up or mercenaries looking for a payday.  Its like “making it rain” in the strip club…you aint gonna find a good girl.

• Like 1