• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

7 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

God that 2010 conference championship claim is still one of the most pathetic things ive seen in sports history

The 1927 and 1919 seasons may ask 2010 to hold their beers: 

1927 Rankings using the Dickinson system.

image.thumb.png.7295195199bcb8fe72fe91e991f634c3.png 

From titop25.com:

Texas A&M now claims themselves national champions of 1919, and they put it up in big letters on their stadium to let everyone know that it must be true. How very--is there any other way to put it?--aggy of them. Sad, really. I suppose that 90 years from now, Marshall will claim themselves national champions of 1999. They were 13-0 that season, and finished ranked #10 in the AP poll. Of course, Marshall 1999 actually has a better case than Texas A&M, because they at least played a couple of top 50 caliber opponents, and Texas A&M would not have come close to #10 had there been an AP poll in 1919. More like #16-25. I have them ranked #23 for 1919. Well, at least Notre Dame still has the dignity not to claim an MNC for 1919.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

SIAP, but not really. aggy is delusional about everything, including attendance.

In their defense attendance is almost always tickets sold and not turnstile count, right?  I guess everyone can do it a little differently but that’s always been the way for MLB and the NBA for example. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

9 minutes ago, futureman said:

do they claim that based on a computer ranking?  or just because they didn’t technically lose a game so obviously they were national champs?

I am stumped.

This site does not list it: 

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/college-football-national-championship-history

This site (looks like last updated in 1998) lists them but with no footnotes:

http://www.aggieathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=27300&SPSID=632660&SPID=93232&ATCLID=205238864

Even their wiki page says this (1922 should be 1927?): 

There was no contemporaneous system in 1927 for determining a national champion. However, Texas A&M was retroactively named as the national champion for 1922 by Jeff Sagarin. Most selectors have named either Illinois or Georgia as the 1927 national champion.[2] The team was ranked No. 11 in the nation in the Dickinson System ratings released in December 1927.[

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

In their defense attendance is almost always tickets sold and not turnstile count, right?  I guess everyone can do it a little differently but that’s always been the way for MLB and the NBA for example. 

Yeah, but how could anyone in the booth, look down at that crowd, and make that announcement out loud without busting up within the first three words coming out of their mouth?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

Yeah, but how could anyone in the booth, look down at that crowd, and make that announcement out loud without busting up within the first three words coming out of their mouth?

If it was me and I had to make that anouncement I think I’d say “total tickets sold to todays game, 91,000” or something like that. 

38 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If it was me and I had to make that anouncement I think I’d say “total tickets sold to todays game, 91,000” or something like that. 

"The attendance today is 90,000. This must be a typo. Excluding the ones who must be here today, such as myself, security, both teams, the band and such, the attendance is somewhere around 193-whatever year that was, to commemorate our last National Championship".

Edited by Gaffords
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

bjork wasn't responsible for the contract

talkiebird threw a tantrum when anyone broke his wishcasting negotiation fantasy and the "coach recognizes importance of investment" is 100% talkiebird

john fucking sharpe has burned 1 billion dollars of OUR MONEY

One could say.... Texas deserves better than Texas A&M...

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Not one cent of the AUF money went to Jimbo’s contract

really?  if they have to increase tuition revenue by 25% to afford to rebuild pyle, while ignoring billion$ of other capital projects, and still haven't repaid the AD loans from 15 years ago, how can one say that the $700M AUF payments are not used to fund aggy largesse and asshattery?

there may not be a 1:1 GL entry, but take away their AUF payments and they can't pay jimbo or service the bond payments.   AUF payments are 10x what they get from disney for SEC membership.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Even thought they weren't founded until 1876,  aggy should probably go ahead and claim 1871,  it's available. 

Edited by Laga4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

you know UMass, god bless them for effort in face of no - chance to win, Umass should not be FBS at all, maybe not even FCS.  What's the next tier - Div 2 or Div3?  

They should really think of dissolving the program as did Boston University (not Boston College) many years ago.

yet they gave A&M a game.  God Bless Umass! 

5 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Holy shit, I didn't realize aggy is the only team in the SEC that has no chance to make a bowl game.

Their only two P-5 wins were against Miami, who has lost to Middle Tennessee and Arkansas, who lost to Liberty.  What else is needed to prove preseason polls need to end.  The 6th ranked aggy is going to end the season ranked something like 106th in spite of wins over two high ranked teams at the time they played.

• Hook 'Em 1

Their only two P-5 wins were against Miami, who has lost to Middle Tennessee and Arkansas, who lost to Liberty.  What else is needed to prove preseason polls need to end.  The 6th ranked aggy is going to end the season ranked something like 106th in spite of wins over two high ranked teams at the time they played.

So they only dropped 100 spots from their initial ranking
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Red Five said:

It's amazing to me how through the years, aggies are always aggies. Like when I was growing up, this current crop of aggies hadn't even been born yet. But it's like they've got a manufacturing line or something because they are indistinguishable from the aggies 30 years ago. Any other fanbase, even in the SEC, will look and act wildly different. But not them. It's amazing. 

Not really all that amazing. When you hang on to so many turditions, you're frozen in time. Turditions are tricky that way.