2022 Rain Thread

South Austin

21 hours ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

NWS has a busted weather forecast for DFW. They placed nearly all counties in North Texas under a Flash Flood Watch on Saturday. Not a drop of rain in the DFW area. TV weather forecasters threw all their chips into the pot with dire rain predictions Saturday night into Sunday morning. Not a drop.

10 hours ago, texasdago said:

Update?

NWS has a busted weather forecast for DFW Austin. They placed nearly all counties in North Central Texas under a Flash Flood Watch on Saturday. Not a drop of rain in the DFW Austin area. TV weather forecasters threw all their chips into the pot with dire rain predictions Saturday night into Sunday morning. Not a drop.

Let's see if we can make this statement work twice.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I gave my girl an Austin Special last weekend. 

We're getting worked up like a #6 here right by Love Field. Our rain gauge goes up to 5 inches and crested sometime during the night. Our swimming pool is about to start overflowing -- this has never happened in six years in this house. We are well up over 7 inches by this point and it's still coming down pretty hard.

8 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

They never actually explain the logistics of "turn around don't drown" because how exactly does that work on the freeway where it seems to always pond up

I think the logistics are the same. Whenever there is a substantial amount of water on the road, you should turn around.

IDK. I’m in 78628 and I’ve gotten at least one decent shower every day since Friday, including already early this morning. 

if you’re around Austin and aren’t getting rain I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but an inch of rain ain’t one. 

eta:  the cheap plastic rain gauge that was here when I bought the house does not hold water so I have no clue about a total rainfall. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

We're getting worked up like a #6 here right by Love Field. Our rain gauge goes up to 5 inches and crested sometime during the night. Our swimming pool is about to start overflowing -- this has never happened in six years in this house. We are well up over 7 inches by this point and it's still coming down pretty hard.

My ass went out to the pool with a bucket for about 15 mins this morning during a lull to take some off the top.  Should be good but if another wave decides to sit over us for another 2 hours it was going over the top and pool too damn close to the house - don't want to test my deck drainage.

8 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

NWS has a busted weather forecast for DFW Austin. They placed nearly all counties in North Central Texas under a Flash Flood Watch on Saturday. Not a drop of rain in the DFW Austin area. TV weather forecasters threw all their chips into the pot with dire rain predictions Saturday night into Sunday morning. Not a drop.

Let's see if we can make this statement work twice.

Yeah, all the Dallas folks saying the models worked out, haven't taken a look at Central Texas.  It's been disappointing for many, and a complete nothing for some.

But here's hoping things will turn around.  My weather app tells me 100% chance of rain at 2 PM.  Hopefully the Force Field is taking a nap.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

IDK. I’m in 78628 and I’ve gotten at least one decent shower every day since Friday, including already early this morning. 

if you’re around Austin and aren’t getting rain I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but an inch of rain ain’t one. 

Count yourself lucky.  I got rain Friday morning for a couple of hours and that's it. Better than nothing, to be sure, but not at all representative of the huge totals projected a few days ago.  I guess we'll see what happens this afternoon.

Today (ATX_):

We're gonna get rain today - some people a lot. (1-2 in. here/there, some people >3").  It comes in before dinnertime and lasts from a squall line to well into the overnight.
Temps will stay mid-90's today and aren't likely to get above 90° tomorrow.
Slow drying, warming trend, but still well lower than what we've had.

Long range forecast for late Aug-early Sept is cooler and wetter.  Really?  We'll see.

Enjoy the rain that's coming.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Today (ATX_):

We're gonna get rain today - some people a lot. (1-2 in. here/there, some people >3").  It comes in before dinnertime and lasts from a squall line to well into the overnight.
Temps will stay mid-90's today and aren't likely to get above 90° tomorrow.
Slow drying, warming trend, but still well lower than what we've had.

Long range forecast for late Aug-early Sept is cooler and wetter.  Really?  We'll see.

Enjoy the rain that's coming.

New Princess Bride Liar Memes | Liar Liar Meme Memes ...

But I HOPE you're right. :)

Can somebody explain what's going on with the lakes. Travis dropping a little bit makes sense since there hasn't been much rain in its basin, but it looks like the San Saba and Colorado got a lot of water in them above Buchanan, but the lake level hasn't changed at all. Inks has also stayed the same. Those got most of their rainfall 2-3 days ago and were in flood stage for a while, so it doesn't seem like a situation where the water wouldn't have arrived at Buchanan yet. Where the hell did the water go?

21 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Look at this big beautiful SOB. Now come to daddy.

Screenshot_20220822-094235_AccuWeather.thumb.jpg.8af49a9e87be632b8d7f444d1d654330.jpg

Let it dump on the hill country first... lots of slow rain... loooots of it.

For those of y'all with drainage issues, buy a submersible sump pump and a long hose.  Trust me.  One of the best purchases you can even make.

10 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Can somebody explain what's going on with the lakes. Travis dropping a little bit makes sense since there hasn't been much rain in its basin, but it looks like the San Saba and Colorado got a lot of water in them above Buchanan, but the lake level hasn't changed at all. Inks has also stayed the same. Those got most of their rainfall 2-3 days ago and were in flood stage for a while, so it doesn't seem like a situation where the water wouldn't have arrived at Buchanan yet. Where the hell did the water go?

Aren’t Buchanan and inks constant level lakes?

Buchanan is not. I thought Inks was though.

Buchanan is down pretty low and the soil in the watershed is extremely dry. The rains they have had have been soaked up. We will need a really heavy rain event to fill the lake back up.

1d252b8d6db8d14a872637c8d9787585.jpeg

As long ago as November, most of the picture was underwater.

4 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Inks is constant-level.  Buchanan and Travis are the only two reservoir lakes in the chain.

Beyond that, the ground is so dry, having had so little rain for so long, that it's not running off much yet.  Streamflows are practically nil.  The recharge zone needs many days in a row of heavy rain, to start producing the kind of runoff that can serve to fill the lakes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hate said:

Buchanan is not. I thought Inks was though.

Buchanan is down pretty low and the soil in the watershed is extremely dry. The rains they have had have been soaked up. We will need a really heavy rain event to fill the lake back up.

1d252b8d6db8d14a872637c8d9787585.jpeg

As long ago as November, most of the picture was underwater.

That maroon sedan fucked around and is about to find out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Here are the current stream flows, and then the previous 4 days rain totals that produced them, for the highland lakes.  Buchanan recharge zone in purple, Travis in light blue.

image.thumb.png.65d2bcaa53f93db2a8187ffd186f665f.png

image.thumb.png.7ae461fdfdef2017348d0d2e150c7058.png

So all that rain at San Saba and Cherokee Creek, just barely impacted stream flow and lake level.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Here are the current stream flows, and then the previous 4 days rain totals that produced them, for the highland lakes.  Buchanan recharge zone in purple, Travis in light blue.
image.thumb.png.65d2bcaa53f93db2a8187ffd186f665f.png
image.thumb.png.7ae461fdfdef2017348d0d2e150c7058.png

So all that rain at San Saba and Cherokee Creek, just barely impacted stream flow and lake level.

47b821917085b3a922ae55637a3f91b6.jpg

Yeah, that’s what I was looking at. These 3 spots in particular. Guess the river beds were just so low all that water was soaked up in the relatively short distance before it hit Buchanan. Fingers crossed that means the next round of storms actually puts water in the lake

8 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

47b821917085b3a922ae55637a3f91b6.jpg

Yeah, that’s what I was looking at. These 3 spots in particular. Guess the river beds were just so low all that water was soaked up in the relatively short distance before it hit Buchanan. Fingers crossed that means the next round of storms actually puts water in the lake

Those are still really low streamflows.  When we get the major flooding events that generate noticeable changes in lake levels, those go up into the hundreds, and thousands, of CFS.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

Damn Dallas. That sucks. 

From KXAN:

"Rainfall amounts
There is still some disagreement among our computer models regarding rainfall amounts.

The European computer model (ECMWF) (both deterministic and ensembles) has been trending lower with rainfall amounts, generally 1-3 inches.

The American model (GFS) has consistently pointed toward several inches of rain across the entire area, but the numbers have trended down over the past couple of days, generally 2-4 inches.

The National Weather Service’s Weather Prediction Center have also lowered their rainfall expectations, but only a little bit, with most of Central Texas in their “3-5 inch” rainfall range."

This totally has the feel to me like it's going to turn into a nothingburger. 

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

I’m getting ready to go work out at Royal Oaks here in a bit - if it hasn’t been washed away. Will post pics. 

Those are still really low streamflows.  When we get the major flooding events that generate noticeable changes in lake levels, those go up into the hundreds, and thousands, of CFS.

Correct. Here is a map from last May that filled the lake, but the soil wasn’t nearly as dry then.

abce840555b2275efac7c157bc37215d.jpg

This is what it looked like before those rains.

ee750789f0ac98f0aea8b846b66d6540.jpg

And then after

d84e5a534fc9265ea5ae4e90daa5f904.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Feel bad for everyone up north. But saw this and I laughed. Hope it changes. 

The crazy thing is….not entirely accurate

ACROSS North Texas being the key. You know it’s dry as a bone when an entire region the size of North Texas needs close to a foot and a half of rain. 

Edited by Surly Bevo