Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Been a while since I looked at this, but I don’t believe a governmental entity can contractually waive immunity under Texas law.

I did some research on SI and the GOR about ten years ago.  From the best of what I could determine, the GOR -- which is a transfer of a state asset (Texas' media rights) -- is not enforceable unless the legislature consents.  

• Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Maybe we stick around for 2 or 3 seasons at most, then pull the plug on the Big 12. All I know is we better win the conference the last year we're in it just like we did with the SWC. 

And the SEC in the first year, just like the Big 12

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

I wouldn’t read much into that statement as it regards to when we leave. If we breach the contract when the contract is about to disappear on its own terms, it could lead to some headaches. I’m sure we will opt out if the conference saves itself, but the conference isn’t going to save itself. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

That's one of the worst pieces of journalism I've ever seen.  We owe Tech transparency because we both get money from the state and because we own some oil land in west Texas?  Tech is our "brother," somehow, so we're not entitled to negotiate in our own best interests without bringing them to the table?  Do we have to bring Texas State, too?  What about SFA?  

This is some amateurish, wannabe Skip Bayless-style pot-banging.  I expect texags will be jacking to it within the hour.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

God this victim mentality is wearing thin and its been less than a week. Aren't you just admitting to being an inferior school if its this hard for them to find a landing spot? Any other school would have done the same.

Anyone questioning why we would want to leave just needs to read that statement.  Good lord.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

On the last sentance, Flug seems to think B1G can make a B1G/ PAC merger, or raid the best from PAC as USC & UCLA, (*sound similar)...

I'm guessing the SEC doesn't stop at Texas and OU.  In time, they will raid the ACC for their strongest brands too and form a super conference.  Unless the rest of CFB brands are ok with being relegated to a lower tier they will have to respond.  The B1G will have to do one of the options you discussed above.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Of course UT will say that. But the longer that the other teams stay in the Big 12 with no announced plans for a new conference move, the more it hurts their recruiting. While I’d like for us to join the SEC as soon as possible, Texas does have the luxury of time that other schools don’t, and this can force them to make their own moves which could hasten a mutual scrapping of this shit conference.

Time to start showing high school playoff games on the Longhorn Network, maybe some 7x7 too.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

I like round robin, which is what UT will be doing for the next decade+. 

It’s hilarious that there’s been no new developments in days, and no one thinks that means anything. If that doesn’t tell you it’s not happening I don’t know what will.

So you think both schools would throw out a joint statement and just hope something gets worked out in January.  I don't know if either parties are that incompetent.  I think the decision is done.  Everything else is just a formality now.  It's over.  

34 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Yup

Have only been to OOC games at Texas ever sense. If I wanted to pay money to see rigged garbage I'd go to a WWE fight or something.

The Rig 12 officials are always shit to us and that was just the exclamation point. 

Of course Scipio Tex wrote the best piece about it

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2015/9/26/9402795/phantom-calls-from-corrupt-officiating-crew-buries-texas-longhorns?utm_campaign=barkingcarnival&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Then after, Big 12 supervisor: 'Generally pleased' with Oklahoma State-Texas officiating

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/13767910/big-12-supervisor-generally-pleased-oklahoma-state-cowboys-texas-longhorns-officiating

Yep....  I had aggy friends and other certified Longhorn haters commenting on my Facebook posts during and after the game that Texas got robbed...   Heck a few of them made posts of their own on Facebook saying they would be the last to ever defend Texas, but dang it was obvious something was at play during that game.  People that last week and this who are  all aggy about the SEC move and in step with the Texas conspiracy stuff to keep them down.     But Walt Anderson was like nothing to see here..

So yea...  Bug off  Big 12 office, Okie State and the rest of the blind mice who run the officiating crews then and now....     Good luck finding jobs at the ACC, AAC, Sun Belt, Conf USA,    maybe the Southland or Lone Star conference will hire you all?

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Bodhi said:

I'm guessing the SEC doesn't stop at Texas and OU.  In time, they will raid the ACC for their strongest brands too and form a super conference.  Unless the rest of CFB brands are ok with being relegated to a lower tier they will have to respond.  The B1G will have to do one of the options you discussed above.  

I wonder how uSC would react if the SEC called UNC.    

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

giphy.gif

I’m so tired of this “UT has to stay in the big 12 because it would hurt other universities” bullshit.  That effectively means UT is handcuffed because other universities are admitting they cannot survive without UT, which means they are riding the UT coattails. How is that fair to UT? Why don’t people write about that point?

If that is true then shouldn't those schools fold and be brought in under the UT system?

University of Texas Lubbock

• Hook 'Em 1

Some of the best pros of us leaving:

1. More money, better contracts and tv/media coverage

2. aggy threw a bitch fit and showed their ass to the entire nation

3. Renewing the Arkansas rivalry

4. Us and OU going over to the SEC ruins aggy's recruiting

5. We're finally rid of Baylor and Ann Richards isn't alive to save them by peddling influence or blocking any conference mergers

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Smax said:

If that is true then shouldn't those schools fold and be brought in under the UT system?

University of Texas Lubbock

I made this same point but further about 50 pages ago. If TCU and Baylor can't maintain their universities without the subsidization from UT they need to be rolled into the system into their proper place. Trying to legally strong arm us into subsidizing their private business is ludicrous otherwise . 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

If their athletic departments lose money then cut some non-revenue sports, shit maybe cut a layer or two of bloated admin, but don't blame Texas because your money train (that you have ZERO to fucking do with) is cut off. They are like a bunch of fucking trust fund babies who are upset that their Daddy is cutting off the spigot. Get fucked.

If budget cuts cause Fat Gare to have to make a living as a musician, he is fucked.  

46 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I am apparently the only human being on the face of the earth who did not know it was the same guy.

You are not alone. I didn't even pause to wonder what in the fuck the football over the mountains/Uncle Rico references were that kept popping up in conjunction with Real Genius. This thread moves too fast. Had I not read your post, it might have never clicked. 

44 minutes ago, mdmost said:

So tomorrow is the SEC invite, I guess. 

There is an exact sequence of steps that they're following, for sure, and it's been printed, laminated, rehearsed, and rehearsed again with the lawyers watching. Whatever is happening now, it's for sure orchestrated and the goal has to be finality in a rapid fashion. Then they sit back and wait for the other schools to flee and dissolve the conference, or at least the GOR. 

21 minutes ago, maninblack said:

They're so fucking dumb

The AAS and Chip Brown are simply useful idiots. They'll repeat whatever they're told without any critical analysis. Same shit with the UM/Herman firing/Sarkisian hiring saga. 

9 minutes ago, Bodhi said:

To what end? If they further than 16, there's a case to be made that they're forming the NFL Junior League. They're then truly watering down their identity, which they value, and exposing themselves to legitimate risk of a new power center emerging. Add Texas and OU and you've got 14 against 2 if either school shows it ass any time soon. Add FSU, Clemson, Miami, and North Carolina and suddenly you've got 14-6 at best. Things start getting dicey from a control perspective from there. 

What would that get the org? They're now solidly in a spot to command 4 spots annually in the CFP without any sort of legal trappings or brand damage. Start fucking with stable conferences and cherry-picking programs already viewed as part of another group of equals and that's chaos that becomes difficult to control.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

giphy.gif

I’m so tired of this “UT has to stay in the big 12 because it would hurt other universities” bullshit.  That effectively means UT is handcuffed because other universities are admitting they cannot survive without UT, which means they are riding the UT coattails. How is that fair to UT? Why don’t people write about that point?

Still all about Texas, as if OU isn’t involved.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1