Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

What ramifications is he even trying to reference here? A&M is just a fledgling program along for the ride. They have no say, unless he’s talking about internal firings or something like that. 

I'm really hoping for John Sharp to be sent packing.  Really, really am.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

I don’t have many posts on this thread, and I was done with it until you mentioned me out of the blue last night on here, so I came to defend my position. If that counts as “trolling” so be it. I don’t see this going as smoothly or easily as everyone else does, and would not be shocked to see UT trapped in the Big 12 for the next 4 years, or at least 3. 

We'll be playing in the SEC in 2022.

• Hook 'Em 6

No good can come from waiting until 2025. This deal has to happen now or we are gonna have all kinds problems with the tagalong 8, Aggy, Texas legislators looking for their 2 minutes of publicity, etc. trying to nullify this deal, not to mention the poor sheep that will get the brunt of it for the next 4 years. 

This is not just UT and OU's timeline anymore. You guys aren't thinking properly if you think the SEC is okay with waiting until 2025. The SEC wants us next year or 2023 at the absolute latest or else I doubt they'd be willing to even engage in the process. Speculation and turmoil is bad for business. This will get done quickly.

Nobody think this other than that dumbass Helobius. This will be the last year Texas and OU play in the Big12.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I don’t have many posts on this thread, and I was done with it until you mentioned me out of the blue last night on here, so I came to defend my position. If that counts as “trolling” so be it. I don’t see this going as smoothly or easily as everyone else does, and would not be shocked to see UT trapped in the Big 12 for the next 4 years, or at least 3. 

Do you ever get tired of being wrong? @Helobious

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'd like to give some serious props to Hartzell and Eltife. In the last 6 months or so they've gone all in on (1) Urban Meyer, and (2) moving Texas to the SEC. Obviously struck out on the former, but shooters fucking shoot. We are so far gone from the days of DeLoss and Mack. Now fingers crossed they found the right head coach to go along with the SEC move.  

Edit to Add: And Beard, but I'm not sure who gets the credit for that one.

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

@JesusSweatDuck that would be hilarious. Due to your outburst you will subsidize the GOR issues for Texas and OU :D

Senator? You can have my answer now, if you like. My final offer is this: nothing. Not even the fee for the gaming license, which I would appreciate if you would put up personally.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I lack the crystal ball (some would say "foresight") to see how a few megaconferences really work.  I don't think there need to be a minimum of 4, but at some point an individual conference just becomes too unwieldy and disconnected.

16 teams works so well in two divisions (7 + 2 then a CCG).  I can see 20 teams working as 4 divisions (4 + 1 + 1 +1, then a semi and a CCG), but that's clumsier inasmuch as 16 teams would only play 7 conference games.  Maybe they could rotate two games per year with one of the other three divisions.  Beyond 20, there might have be an expanded schedule beyond 12 games (pre-playoff).  Maybe not?  Maybe 24 teams in 4 divisions (5 + 1 + 1 + 1 + semi + CCG).  It just starts to feel like it's not a coherent conference.

The SEC will let the first couple rounds of TV deal distribution payments go out, let the schools see how much more they're benefiting, let CBS and ESPN see how much they're benefiting, then do it all over again in a couple years.

NIL was a death knell for the NCAA in football and basketball. I think the SEC is positioning itself for independence from the NCAA in football within the next 15 years. They'll slowly bleed the rest of their conferences of all marketable teams until the NCAA is forced to participate with the SEC as equals, rather than a governing body over a subordinate.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Foosters said:

My least favorite part of the @Helobious posts is when 25+ people feel the need to quote him and then ask him about his anus. Maybe we could not do that?

Why are you so anti-anus in 2021?

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Missouri was more or less stoked, because the monetary forecast is flat out fucking embarrassing. Any current projections on the boards and such are apparently way too conservative.

I've heard 40-45 million base per year, per school.

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

the entire period of 2007-2012 is skipped in that article.  the demand is for UT to have given "transparency" to Tech.   what is also missing is any mention of a requirement for transparency on the part of aggy in the 2007-2012 time period that is completely missing from that article.

well, if aggy are a public school, didn't Tech also deserve the same level of transparency in 2007-2012?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I lack the crystal ball (some would say "foresight") to see how a few megaconferences really work.  I don't think there need to be a minimum of 4, but at some point an individual conference just becomes too unwieldy and disconnected.

16 teams works so well in two divisions (7 + 2 then a CCG).  I can see 20 teams working as 4 divisions (4 + 1 + 1 +1, then a semi and a CCG), but that's clumsier inasmuch as 16 teams would only play 7 conference games.  Maybe they could rotate two games per year with one of the other three divisions.  Beyond 20, there might have be an expanded schedule beyond 12 games (pre-playoff).  Maybe not?  Maybe 24 teams in 4 divisions (5 + 1 + 1 + 1 + semi + CCG).  It just starts to feel like it's not a coherent conference.

This ain't a "last person that found paradise post" but anything beyond 16 is excessive.  4 16 team conferences work.

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Fify. Fucking disgraceful.

I thought you said that there was no way that Texas and ou were leaving the big12 and that this is all just a smoke screen to get more money out of the conference

Just now, closetohumping said:

This ain't a "last person that found paradise post" but anything beyond 16 is excessive.  4 16 team conferences work.

My suspicion is that the SEC stops for now unless the last big fish wants onboard (ND) , and lets the other 3 conferences figure it out knowing they will never catch up 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Once you start getting to 24+, then we’ll be talking about two conferences, like the NFL, which used to be known as the SEC and the Big Ten and they’ll have mini-conferences called divisions or pods that will be regional.

It’ll basically be like cord cutting where there was disruption but people are slowly moving back to cable packages because they’re paying for 10 different streaming services, they’ve just cut out the cable providers. It’ll be the same thing with the NCAA. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, utdlc said:

I thought you said that there was no way that Texas and ou were leaving the big12 and that this is all just a smoke screen to get more money out of the conference

That was his original position. He back pedaled to it won’t happen for 3 years. The only question is if he will backpedal to us being in the Big 12 for 2 years or if he will jump straight to acceptance. @Helobious

25 minutes ago, jinx said:

So in summary:

What's left of the Big 12 are a bunch of shitty teams that no one else really wants.

Those shitty teams have ZERO leadership to keep the shitty conference together.

The same Texas that has been shit on for years for "running the conference" is now shit on for not subsidizing this group of outcasts and misfits.

Is that about right?

Good riddance Big 12!

Wrong on pretty much everything. OU and Texas have football histories that make them attractive and they can make more money in the SEC. The other Big 12 programs have had athletic success and improved their facilities, but do not have the same media numbers which makes it more difficult for them to navigate this process. That's literally all that's at play here.

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Well maybe we might leave after all. Still, there’s no chance we’re leaving before 2025 ends. UT/OU said they’ll honor the remaining contract, and no one is fronting that buyout.  So I’m technically still right for the next 4 seasons. 

0% chance of this happening.  We arent about to stick around for another 4 years in a dying conference while the playoff is expanded and the NIL gets out of control.  

This season is already going a complete cluster fuck for us.  You thought the Ok St game was bad?  Just wait until you see what the Big 12 cooks up for us as retribution for this.  Its going to be ugly.

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don't speak aggy, but... are they saying that this temper tantrum is going to get someone at aggy fired? B/c if so that is almost too good for words...

I read that as someone is getting fired b/c they couldn't stop Texas from joining and they got worked. What do they expect, we're Texas and they are sheep humping hayseeds. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

This season is already going a complete cluster fuck for us.  You thought the Ok St game was bad?  Just wait until you see what the Big 12 cooks up for us as retribution for this.  Its going to be ugly.

We're going to get absolutely officiated to death as its the only recourse the conference has left, prepare your asses and lower your expectations for the conferences parting gift. The officials are also going to be looking for new jobs, think 2015 OSU for every game. 

Edited by BigHornedLurker
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don't speak aggy, but... are they saying that this temper tantrum is going to get someone at aggy fired? B/c if so that is almost too good for words...

They want Sharpe's head.   Which is ironic because he's done a decent job of spreading the aggy brand across the state if you will.   People seem to forget in Collie Station and elsewhere he is the Chancellor for their whole system and as a former student at one of the schools in the system who still keeps tabs on things, he's probably been more engaged with that school than any other Chancellor before him since the school has been the in the aggy system (going back to the late 80's).    He has an appeal in many places especially in South Texas because he's from Victoria and from his days as State Comptroller.   Before Sharpe became Chancellor,  the aggy system was very much behind the curve  ( and still are playing catch up, IMO) at putting some sort of shared identity on their system schools that UT has been able to do for San Antonio, El Paso, Arlington,  Pan American, etc. very well since the get go with their affiliations with those institutions.  

What is the rush with joining the SEC? Why not go without plans publicly for a week or so and weigh our options. Granted there could've already been tons of back room discussions with the Big10 and Pac12 with the SEC being the best financial fit. Seems odd though, as shouldn't ever major conference be falling over themselves to add two Blueblood CFB programs?

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Exactly. It’s not UT-Lubbock. 
How the author of the article fails to connect the logical dot that if UT is hurting others by leaving, they are hurting themselves by staying. 

writing "evil Texas" articles without logical fallacies would create a hate storm for those writers unmeasurable with current technology

Just now, MoJames said:

What is the rush with joining the SEC? Why not go without plans publicly for a week or so and weigh our options. Granted there could've already been tons of back room discussions with the Big10 and Pac12 with the SEC being the best financial fit. Seems odd though, as shouldn't ever major conference be falling over themselves to add two Blueblood CFB programs?

1. PAC12 doesn't make any money, this is a non-starter. 

2. Big10 is much further away, and doesn't have our rivals. We get to chop A&Ms dick off at the same time. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, MoJames said:

Because the SEC was chosen by our president/chancellor along with OU's and they've worked on this with the SEC for 6-12 months. The decision is already made so no need to drag it out.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Humidor

By: Gerry, Justin, and Eric

Show me the baby, not the labor pains: When it became clear Texas was going to remove Tom Herman and replace him with the darling of the SEC while investing heavily in a new coaching staff, IT stated these bold moves were important with realignment looming. However, IT had no idea realignment was already in the works. The embryonic stage of the move was about a year ago, so a 12 month gestation period isn’t all that long to change the course of the sport forever. Even more impressive was the triumvirate’s ability to hide the pregnancy.

IT asked a source if the Steve Sarkisian hire was made with the SEC in mind and was told the decision-makers got the best person they could for the job regardless of conference circumstances, but yes, Sark’s offensive success did inform their confidence he could win in the SEC.

A&M side of things: IT has credibly heard A&M was under the impression Texas and OU would join the conference eventually, but was caught off guard early last week with how far down the road things were.

Bobby nailed the about face that didn’t save face. We’re now hearing the A&M BOR and Jimbo Fischer will welcome UT and OU with open arms. That should have been their public stance from the jump.

Per UT and A&M sources: There is a lot of talk out there the SEC won’t sit idle at 16 members. On Saturday IT heard Greg Sankey wants to run and set rules for NIL — essentially doing away with the NCAA — and create a platinum conference (if you will) of 60 teams. This is similar to what IT heard earlier in the spring.

However, we’ve heard the SEC itself, as it’s currently composed, doesn’t plan on expanding beyond Texas and OU. We’ve heard that from the Texas and A&M side. Sure, maybe A&M won’t find out until the last minute again, but we feel confident UT would know if the SEC going beyond 16 teams was in the cards.

What’s probably happening with these rumors is people mixing up Sankey’s short-term and long-term visions for the sport.

Accelerant: While Texas and OU karaoke We Didn’t Start the Fire, the rest of the conference schools are forced to be proactive in looking for new homes. This is a high stakes game of musical chairs and you better be positioned with a place to sit when the music stops. Any time spent stomping on embers is wasted motion.

Internal meetings at schools across the conference are happening as we type and we could (should?) see an acceleration of defections.

Of course, that’s exactly what UT and OU wants as it allows for a swifter, more economically favorable exit.

Football and how UT stacks up on the field:

IT: What’s the level of excitement with the team?

Sources: It depends on who you ask. The older players with only one year left are more ticked about the chatter Texas will get bullied in the SEC. The move doesn’t matter to them otherwise. Of course the younger players are excited for the move.

IT: How does UT measure up on the field?

Sources: The first think you think about is the offensive line. Christian Jones, he has the size and strength you’re looking for. A guy like Junior Angilau, you might want more size but he’s plenty strong. Jake Majors is a good player, but he needs to get bigger and stronger.

IT: With his preference for size it certainly explains why Kyle Flood is looking at Angilau at center. I know they do think pretty highly of Majors, though. This is going to be a huge selling point for o-line recruiting going forward. It seems like the d-line has plenty of size.

Source: Coburn, Sweat, Collins, and Broughton, sure, they do have some size there. Moro Ojomo isn’t the biggest but he’s versatile. Byron Murphy isn’t too big, either, but he’s quick and strong and I could see him giving bigger o-lineman problems. That’s what he’s been doing. The position they may want to get a little bigger is linebacker but you don’t want to be too big these days regardless of conference.

IT: What about overall talent level?

Source: Texas would hold its own this season. Talent wouldn’t be the issue. What will need to continue to improve is the culture and team mindset. What truly differentiates Alabama from UT is how serious the football players take the sport. That’s not to say UT players don’t care, they do, it’s just a different way of life in the south.

IT: Before the team was dismissed for a few days before the 4th of July, we reported too many players skipped the last voluntary workout. Is that an example of what you’re talking about?

Source: Yes, it is. But I will say the team going into August is a lot more focused than the team was heading into July. If that group was heading into August camp, that would be reason for concern. They’ve had a good month and adjusted to the work load with no complaints.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

yeah...i mean if that happens i'm going to start looking around for hidden cameras because that would literally be too good/funny to think was real 🤣

Just now, MoJames said:

Are you serious? We’ve been negotiating with the SEC for 6 months to a year. There’s nothing rushed about this. Our leaders looked long and hard at all the options and decided the SEC is the best option. 

2 minutes ago, MoJames said:

No wonder people complain about our fan base being delusional. 

• Like 1

To late now but Texas, OU, Clemson, FLST, USC, UCLA, (Michigan and Ohio State / Oregon and Washington) should have formed a new conference of their own with 4 pods. In which each pod maintained its' Tier III rights and the founding members maintained a 60-40 split with the additional invited members to complete 4 team PODs for Tier 1 and 2 rights. They would have had folks clamoring to be included at 40%. Then since we are selling out name the PODs Google, Amazon, Nike, Delta or whatever for revenue. Have those businesses guarantee NIL for the top 5 players on each team for founding members.  Screw the little guys they would still be happy to be included.