Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

4 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

They have to put these things in writing to comply with the open meetings act. It would be a crime not to.

It was the way it was worded. Could have just said talk discuss the potential ramifications the expansion will have on our skool. Or whatever…they went from boilerplate to dumbass in that one paragraph. 

33 minutes ago, 'stache said:

This was a perfect conference map. Fuck realignment. 

Why Isn't The Big 12 Looking At Expansion? | Nick Sloan's Website

I kind of agree and there probably is a universe where things could have worked out. Like people said above, bad leadership as well as a thousand little decisions and mistakes killed it. So it goes.

tenor.gif?itemid=12183165

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Other than being fucking hilarious?  Let them gnash their teeth and keep grasping at straws.  Hey Ag fucks...

d7550536414a0c8abb6ee0da923ed8093c68dd59

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Other than being fucking hilarious?  Let them gnash their teeth and keep grasping at straws.  Hey Ag fucks...

d7550536414a0c8abb6ee0da923ed8093c68dd59

4 minutes between double posts? Did you already change to a backwater Alabama internet provider in honor of the move or something? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I was on a call this weekend about NIL stuff and this was tangentially discussed. The ATM meltdown was as paint by numbers as we would all expect. The funny part is that the national media folks simply cannot fathom the behaviors they've exhibited actually being organic and genuine and not part of some higher strategy. I listened to Luginbill and Sallee trying to rationalize it all yesterday because the reality is too unbelievable to them.

ATM was kept in the dark. I was told that on Wednesdays once the news was out and I spoke to a friend, and I posted it here that day. The media is buying the narrative that Bohls was wrong on that and they knew at higher levels. They did not.

They were kept in the dark because everyone feared they'd immediately try to fuck the whole thing up. Check.

The SEC circled its votes, formed a consensus among the others, then waited until they absolutely had to notify ATM (and Missouri) last week, so that Texas and OU could do what was needed quickly. They had the opportunity to informally discuss everything at media days without anything having to be officially public. Check.

Missouri was more or less stoked, because the monetary forecast is flat out fucking embarrassing. Any current projections on the boards and such are apparently way too conservative.

ATM did what was expected of them - go immediately to friendly press. Check.

Then ATM attempts to call the banners with the politicians. Check. As predicted, it flops because of where we are right now with other shit impacting the state politics and generally, Texas just no longer being flat-footed with the state lege. Texas knew there was going to be no lege momentum from gathering intel from that end this spring and summer. 

ATM then went the next mile in which no one predicted, which was to threaten to leave or sue the conference. That apexed on Friday night. On Saturday morning, they were told to get right or get fucked, their choice, but the conference needed to know by Sunday. ATM immediately began the backpedal from there. As predicted on Wednesday, they will vote affirmatively in the 14-0 vote that is coming. 

:insert nail emoji here: 🔨

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, n64ra said:

Blame CU and NU for leaving. Then blame Mizzou and aggy for leaving.

Oh don't worry, there is plenty of blame to go around. I blame arky for making a short sighted decision to leave the SWC just a few years before a better alignment became available. I blame Baylor (and maybe Tech if I have my history right) for forcing themselves into the conference in a way that ticked some people off from the outset. I blame UT, OU, NU, and aggy for demanding unequal revenue share that was almost certain to destabilize the conference. I blame whoever made the shit decision to not have a permanent cross-division rivalry to salvage OU-NU at the outset. I blame the networks for the "oNE schOOl PER TV MARkEt" bullshit that drove the last round and for destroying long time rivalries because of cable package nonsense that was already a dying model. I blame aggy again for blowing up the Pac-16 move a bunch of us agreed to at a time where everyone else probably could have found a comfortable landing spot. I blame Mizzou for lifting its skirt to the Big 10 which is the earlier I remember this latest wave of bullshit starting. I actually don't blame NU or CU for their moves, which was at a time that it looked pretty inevitable that the Big 12 wouldn't last. And yes, I blame OU and Texas for their moves now when they could have salvaged the conference a decade ago and did nothing to help knowing that they had their eyes set elsewhere because of a few extra million. It's all bullshit. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, n64ra said:

Blame CU and NU for leaving. Then blame Mizzou and aggy for leaving.

I think part of NUs motivation for leaving was getting into a more stable conference where their future was secure.  Can you imagine what their situation would be currently if still part of the Big12?  Would they be any more desirable than ISU or Kansas to conferences now? 

30 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

That's not how it works.   There are two distinctly different financial constructs:

1 - Withdraw penalty (two years of revenue)

2 - Grant of Rights until 2025.

Now, per the obvious, yes legally these can be negotiated down.   The point was there is more than one issue to resolve and that the easiest way to resolve it is to get the other teams to dissolve the conference, then they both go away.    If the 8 stay together they can withhold revenue for 2 years to pay the buyout and make it difficult for the SEC to add games to their contract until the term expires.

I’m honestly not sure what you’re trying to say here, but those two things are not separate from each other. If we pay the two years’ of revenue penalty, then the GOR is no longer controlling over us and we can move freely to the SEC immediately and start making SEC revenue, which is higher than the Big 12 anyways.

We either pay it and it’s over immediately without any argument, or we don’t pay it, we still get our SEC revenue and then force the conference to sue us saying we owe the penalty, in which case we fight it on Immunity grounds and may win outright or settle for a lesser number. Those are the two options, and neither is that bad for us. 

There is 0 chance that the SEC would choose to not fold us into their revenue and TV contracts right away even if we didn’t pay the penalty and left next year. The Big 12 would not be able to stop this, because there is a prescribed penalty in the GOR. Barring some sort of insane language that wouldn’t be enforceable and UT’s legal never would have agreed to, the Big 12 cannot seek a remedy of specific performance (ie having a court force us to stay in the Big 12 through 25 and bar us from joining the SEC or being part of their TV deal) when a damages amount has already been established between the parties. Any litigation would be solely about whether UT and OU could be liable to the Big 12 for the damages amount. 

25 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Did he just say the issue was "mute" instead of "moot?"

I actually work with an attorney on a current project that messes this up in the other direction, and I have never heard anyone do that before. It is not a one time occurrence either.

Just this morning he let one of the people on our video call know that their microphone was on "moot". 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Bodhi said:

I think part of NUs motivation for leaving was getting into a more stable conference where their future was secure.  Can you imagine what their situation would be currently if still part of the Big12?  Would they be any more desirable than ISU or Kansas to conferences now? 

The only thing that make the original BXII unstable, was UNL.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Look how well it turned out.  Maybe you’d have won a couple titles if you had avoided the Charlie Strong era…but now you’re looking at being SEC.  It gets no better than that, my friend.  
I plan to cash in my free blowjob coupons down on The Grove.  

Is such a thing possible?

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Oh don't worry, there is plenty of blame to go around. I blame arky for making a short sighted decision to leave the SWC just a few years before a better alignment became available. I blame Baylor (and maybe Tech if I have my history right) for forcing themselves into the conference in a way that ticked some people off from the outset. I blame UT, OU, NU, and aggy for demanding unequal revenue share that was almost certain to destabilize the conference. I blame whoever made the shit decision to not have a permanent cross-division rivalry to salvage OU-NU at the outset. I blame the networks for the "oNE schOOl PER TV MARkEt" bullshit that drove the last round and for destroying long time rivalries because of cable package nonsense that was already a dying model. I blame aggy again for blowing up the Pac-16 move a bunch of us agreed to at a time where everyone else probably could have found a comfortable landing spot. I blame Mizzou for lifting its skirt to the Big 10 which is the earlier I remember this latest wave of bullshit starting. I actually don't blame NU or CU for their moves, which was at a time that it looked pretty inevitable that the Big 12 wouldn't last. And yes, I blame OU and Texas for their moves now when they could have salvaged the conference a decade ago and did nothing to help knowing that they had their eyes set elsewhere because of a few extra million. It's all bullshit. 

TLDR bro.

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

You should also hate Oklahoma for their lawsuit in the early '80s. That's what really started all of this. The best thing for college football overall would be going back to the days of a national television contract. Tier 1 games on the national contract that every FBS team gets an equal cut of. Tier 2 with the conferences. Tier 3 with the schools. That's the only thing I can think of that would save the smaller schools but also get the big schools to go along with it.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

To be fair, I doubt you live in a cookie cutter tract home, lower middle class exburb.

Yes, aggy outnumbers Texas in all those places that call themselves "Houston" despite being more than 30-40 miles from downtown and three or four looped freeways outside what I call "Houston."

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Butthurt doesn't get much purer than this:

I think Nebraska writers feel the more they make fun of Texas, the closer Nebraska will be to finally being relevant again. Yeah, but they won't. You didn't get that aggy to the SEC bump you thought you would. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Butthurt doesn't get much purer than this:

This, from a Nebraska writer?  I guess they'd know about mediocrity and leaving the conference firsthand.  But Texas also won a championship, something Tech hasn't done so I don't understand the gnashing of teeth, unless you're a Nebraska fan and now used to living in hell.