Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

7 minutes ago, theBigHen said:

I have friends and relatives bombarding me with texts telling me how Texas is the bad guy and how we have fucked everyone in the conference over. Can someone provide me a brief and factual retort to this that will shut them up? 

A-lion-doesnt-concern-himself-with-the-o

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Eggo said:

While it's true that academically UT is closer to Michigan, Illinois, etc, there's no rule saying researchers can't collaborate outside their own athletic conference. The parallels people try to draw are really dumb.

My father in law is faculty at UT and the only big 12 collaborator he has ever mentioned is a former post-doc of his.  He mostly works with with people at places like Stanford, Cal Tech , MIT, Cambridge, etc.  Conference affiliation doesn’t mean shit.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Except for Baylor you're correct. I wish it weren't this way but it is. Could have been great with adequate conference leadership. 

Do I remember correctly that somehow Dodds was leveraging his relationship with Swarbrick to get Notre Dame to join the Big XII?  And then Florida St, Clemson, and Georgia Tech would follow.  Am I hallucinating that memory?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Druggist said:

My father in law is faculty at UT and the only big 12 collaborator he has ever mentioned is a former post-doc of his.  He mostly works with with people at places like Stanford, Cal Tech , MIT, Cambridge, etc.  Conference affiliation doesn’t mean shit.

"I'm sorry, did you say you want your department at MIT to collaborate with ours? I'm sorry, but I believe MIT is primarily in the NEWMAC and we don't even collaborate with the old MAC. Good day, sir."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Speedway said:

Do I remember correctly that somehow Dodds was leveraging his relationship with Swarbrick to get Notre Dame to join the Big XII?  And then Florida St, Clemson, and Georgia Tech would follow.  Am I hallucinating that memory?

That was a rumor that he was trying to get that done, yes. But I don't think anyone ever thought Notre Dame was actually going to join the Big 12.

Edited by Huckleberry

4 minutes ago, theBigHen said:

I did but wanted to follow up with some facts to shut them up for good. 

The SEC tried to get Texas to join the conference 30 years ago, even before Arky was ever thought about as a SEC member.

At some point, time runs out for the other conference schools to position themselves. 30 years has been plenty of time for the negatively affected programs to get their affairs together.

Thanks for the memories. We hope you have put the last 30 years to good use.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Speedway said:

No, you are correct...   That was all rolled into the  same talk of Texas, Ousux, Okie Lite, and Tech going to the Pac 10/12.    

B

3 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

That's the first time I've ever heard Bowlsby referred to as being a good leader. 

I always thought of him more like this:

05c0fc95e900a2ce2c0aeb969abf5cc2.jpg

Seriously, how can anyone call Bowlsby competent? All this conference has done is lose schools and hide under the table.

I respect the shit out of what Bill Snyder accomplished at Kansas State during his prime, but at this point, you have to wonder if late-stage dementia is setting in.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

Iowa State, Kansas, and Texas.  There are a few others that are considered Carnegie Tier I research universities for the purposes of federal research grants, aeronautical opportunities, etc.  TCU is kind of in a hybrid space between the two categories.  Baylor, Texas Tech, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and West Virginia are fucking academic jokes.  I know it's not popular to discuss, but it's relevant to the realignment thread.  But the Pac-12, Big East, and Big 10 aren't going to swoop in and take those remnant universities because they are the only academically driven conferences in the U.S.  And most of the schools in our league are glorified community colleges.  I know it's sounds snooty so neg rep me.  But they're generic, land grant pieces of shit.  Don't get me wrong, they whoop our ass more often than they should on the field/court/diamond.

Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss. St., LSU and Alabama all fall in the same category.

20 minutes ago, theBigHen said:

I have friends and relatives bombarding me with texts telling me how Texas is the bad guy and how we have fucked everyone in the conference over. Can someone provide me a brief and factual retort to this that will shut them up? 

“You say that like it’s a bad thing.”

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nueces River Rat said:

No, you are correct...   That was all rolled into the  same talk of Texas, Ousux, Okie Lite, and Tech going to the Pac 10/12.    

B

Which a Pac16 w/ those teams would be a fun league to watch.

In addition, a B1G w/ OU & Texas is also at on par w/ the SEC in regards to brands, etc.

But after seeing how the PAC12 has shit the bed w/ TV + the B1G AND the Pac12 both shitting the bed during COVID, there's really only 1 prudent landing place now.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Which a Pac16 w/ those teams would be a fun league to watch.

In addition, a B1G w/ OU & Texas is also at on par w/ the SEC in regards to brands, etc.

But after seeing how the PAC12 has shit the bed w/ TV + the B1G AND the Pac12 both shitting the bed during COVID, there's really only 1 prudent landing place now.

Yep..  agreed..   The indecision last fall confirmed this.  

3 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

Its part of the bylaws now and they seem to have altered it since the last realignment.   Now as soon as you signal your intent to withdraw, you lose your vote, the percent is only of the schools who haven't withdrawn.

But Texas and OU have not indicated their intent to withdraw.  They just said they won't renew the GOR.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Texas73 said:

John Sharp is a Democrat so he is hated in Aggy land. 

True, but since he last held office one has to wonder if he would run for office again as an Elephant as the political winds have changed quite a bit since then.   That's if he really wanted a statewide elected job and not just doing it for the heck of it.

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Gerry H- "Was told about 30 minutes ago that Houston and Cincinnati are expecting to be invited to the Big 12. That is coming from the Houston basketball side. We shall see."

Hey, shoutout to the Coogs!  You finally made it in!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Gerry H- "Was told about 30 minutes ago that Houston and Cincinnati are expecting to be invited to the Big 12. That is coming from the Houston basketball side. We shall see."

I mean that would be a ridiculously salty basketball league. Not a bad idea for creating a new identity.

Then watch them finally figure out football should be a round robin without a championship game.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Oh don't worry, there is plenty of blame to go around. I blame arky for making a short sighted decision to leave the SWC just a few years before a better alignment became available. I blame Baylor (and maybe Tech if I have my history right) for forcing themselves into the conference in a way that ticked some people off from the outset. I blame UT, OU, NU, and aggy for demanding unequal revenue share that was almost certain to destabilize the conference. I blame whoever made the shit decision to not have a permanent cross-division rivalry to salvage OU-NU at the outset. I blame the networks for the "oNE schOOl PER TV MARkEt" bullshit that drove the last round and for destroying long time rivalries because of cable package nonsense that was already a dying model. I blame aggy again for blowing up the Pac-16 move a bunch of us agreed to at a time where everyone else probably could have found a comfortable landing spot. I blame Mizzou for lifting its skirt to the Big 10 which is the earlier I remember this latest wave of bullshit starting. I actually don't blame NU or CU for their moves, which was at a time that it looked pretty inevitable that the Big 12 wouldn't last. And yes, I blame OU and Texas for their moves now when they could have salvaged the conference a decade ago and did nothing to help knowing that they had their eyes set elsewhere because of a few extra million. It's all bullshit. 

Well I blame Gundy for beating us when i didn't want him to. So we're even I guess. 

1 minute ago, BornAndRaised said:

And guess which teams have already spent their money plus future-money that they now won't have......  

"Moose! Rocco! Help the judge find his checkbook!"  Lulz.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Doesn't do much of anything to make the Big 12 viable in the long term so I'm skeptical but we'll see.

Out of curiosity though, what are the rules for adding teams to the Big 12? Do they need TX/OU 'yes' votes to get them in considering we currently have to posture that we'll be in the conference until the GOR expire in 2025? Is playing ball with adding members something can use to leverage our earlier release at a smaller payout?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

This guy Adam seems like a bitch. In one tweet he's saying "see Nebraska was right about Texas". Then in the next he's saying Texas is a better fit for the Big 10. All the while ignoring in the typical Big 10 douchebag trope that Texas only cares about unequal revenue sharing. Yet, we're going to a conference with equal revenue sharing. The stupid is amazing. Everyone hates us yet everyone wanted us in their conference even though we supposedly suck as conference mates. 

And the Big 10 is still charging $100 million or more admission fee to Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland.

• Haha 1