The Gray Man - Gosling and Evans Netflix

Michael Knight

I thought it was solid, but I generally judge netflix movies on a different scale than a theatre movie.  I would have been disappointed had I dropped 20+ bucks and saw this in the theatre, and with that budget this probably would be closer to a bust than a success.  Hell it may be closer to a bust than a success for netflix as well.  Evans was great, but Gosling was kind of boring.  With a generic plot, I think they could have went for more comedy from Gosling.

Not directed at the poster, but looks like The Ringer could use better editing...or maybe all Indian actors look the same to the author and editor. You'd think they'd get the name right of the actor that allegedly "gives the best performance in the movie."

5 minutes ago, APMP said:
20 minutes ago, Fud said:

Not directed at the poster, but looks like The Ringer could use better editing...or maybe all Indian actors look the same to the author and editor. You'd think they'd get the name right of the actor that allegedly "gives the best performance in the movie."

Oops 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I think they could have went for more comedy from Gosling.

The comedy they created was pretty lame. I don't think that creative team could have improved the movie by inserting more of their limited wit.

We have a brother team that is a cunt hair above Michael Bay. Yay Hollywood studios!

Apropos of nothing: I'm rewatching Narcos and don't remember if Gray Man has the same bad guys. Anyway, if you're a guard upstairs and there's shooting going on downstairs, don't just run down the stairs like you're going to dinner. You'll just end up getting shot, smacking the wall then rolling down the steps into a heap. 

Always keep your weapon ready and move with caution. Same rules apply if you're running from another room. We admire your courage for running towards the danger as fast as you can, but you're pretty useless when you bumble out into the open and look around. Proceed with caution. Peep around the corner or just wait in ambush. With. Your. Gun. Ready.

11 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:

Good points. We were also laughing at the Prague cops that were throwing themselves out from behind their cover to be mowed down in seconds. Over and over again.

The movie is a multitude of explosions and shell casings.  Unfortunately, so is the script.  Lots of questions but I don't really care about the answers.  

Going to catch up on The Old Man on Hulu. 

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/25/2022 at 11:44 AM, 52-80 said:

Big diff here is they dont incur much of the traditional post-completion costs of distribution and marketing. Movie goes straight to their servers. Done. 

And don't underestimate this. On a "traditional" theater movie, distrib/marketing makes up over half of the costs. That always seems insane to me. Majority of the costs of a conventional movie are not spent in MAKING the damn movie.

Edited by Sam Lin
spelling

19 hours ago, zman13 said:

Movie would have been much better if there was less talking by everyone (except Chris Evans) and more action. 

i actually enjoyed the dialog.  good report and wit between gosling and ana, and gosling and evans.  i thought all that was well written.  might be the first time i've liked billy bob in a role also.  for once i didnt feel like he was acting, or overacting.  the action scenes were mostly dumb, imho.  some of the cgi even cheesy.

my biggest problem with the movie is the actual premise itself.  totally implausible.  there are a million murderers in the prison system, and they're going to come to this guy and say we'll let you out if you join the cia?  come on.  

So even before the press release there was clearly going to be a sequel.  Whoever the boss of the main CIA guy and gal is kept getting mentioned, but they didn't show him.  Also, I presume the "asset" was more than just a mcguffin given it actually showed some of the video.  In any event good movie that simultaneously was 15 minutes too long and ended abruptly.

5 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

my biggest problem with the movie is the actual premise itself.  totally implausible.  there are a million murderers in the prison system, and they're going to come to this guy and say we'll let you out if you join the cia?  come on.  

Books get into it further, but his father was a SWAT trainer and ran a training academy that both sons worked in and ran training in. It wasn’t a random encounter with an inmate.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

The movie is a multitude of explosions and shell casings. 

6 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

i actually enjoyed the dialog.  good report and wit between gosling and ana, and gosling and evans.  i thought all that was well written.  might be the first time i've liked billy bob in a role also.  for once i didnt feel like he was acting, or overacting.  the action scenes were mostly dumb, imho.  some of the cgi even cheesy.

I kind of brought this up on the other Gray Man thread which dropped down a page or two. I can understand that some viewers want or like a lot of boom boom action, but sometimes it's a little too extraneous for me. For example, Hacksaw Ridge, the WWII bio epic--thought the battle scenes were just the right amount and they supported the story. It was large, it was noisy, it was horrific and yet Doss did what few would attempt to do. But don't display a bunch of buildings and cars going airborne unless it's like Free Guy and the main character is watching his entire world disappear as he races to the beach.

But when the plot, dialogue and characters dovetail with just enough information to keep viewers interested (even if I'm still guessing at outcomes), then that is a good thing. I expect that is a lot harder than it seems, but I would like to see Netflix fund some more of the independent writers/movies and take some chances with those, even if they have to pay a little more for an A list cast, don't worry about the marketing. Use social and email like they already do and get some new material in front of viewers.

• Hook 'Em 1

Slightly off topic, but I have to say that Gosling has had quite a list of pretty ladies with which he's acted:

in no particular order and spoilered for length:

Spoiler

Michelle Williams

39 best Michelle Williams images on Pinterest | Beauty, Good looking ...

Rachel McAdams:

Allie from the Notebook | Light auburn hair, Rachel mcadams hair ...

Emma Stone:

Emma Stone Gangster Squad / Emma Stone - Gangster Squad poster hair ...

Carey Mulligan:

75+ Hot Pictures Of Carey Mulligan Will Prove That She Is One Of The ...

Cate Blanchett:

Cate Blanchett

Margot Robbie (the upcoming Barbie movie):

Margot Robbie Wears Strapless top at The 2020 Golden Globes | Al Bawaba

Eva Mendes (his significant other):

47 Sexy and Hot Eva Mendes Pictures - Bikini, Ass, Boobs ...

I'm sure I'm forgetting/leaving some actresses off, and I didn't list Ana de Armas since she has already been posted here, but that is quite a list right there.

1. Ana De Armas is blindingly hot. 

2. The action sequences are plenty of fun.
3. It’s 20 minutes too long.
4. Chris Evans mustache is very entertaining.
perfect fuck around on your phone couch drunk movie. 

Gosling has now been in multiple movies with peak AdA. Lucky bastard. I hope he did his best to close that.

9 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Slightly off topic, but I have to say that Gosling has had quite a list of pretty ladies with which he's acted:

in no particular order and spoilered for length:

Hide contents

Michelle Williams

39 best Michelle Williams images on Pinterest | Beauty, Good looking ...

Rachel McAdams:

Allie from the Notebook | Light auburn hair, Rachel mcadams hair ...

Emma Stone:

Emma Stone Gangster Squad / Emma Stone - Gangster Squad poster hair ...

Carey Mulligan:

75+ Hot Pictures Of Carey Mulligan Will Prove That She Is One Of The ...

Cate Blanchett:

Cate Blanchett

Margot Robbie (the upcoming Barbie movie):

Margot Robbie Wears Strapless top at The 2020 Golden Globes | Al Bawaba

Eva Mendes (his significant other):

47 Sexy and Hot Eva Mendes Pictures - Bikini, Ass, Boobs ...

I'm sure I'm forgetting/leaving some actresses off, and I didn't list Ana de Armas since she has already been posted here, but that is quite a list right there.

On 7/25/2022 at 8:14 PM, Bateshorn said:

1. Ana De Armas is blindingly hot. 

2. The action sequences are plenty of fun.

3. It’s 20 minutes too long.

4. Chris Evans mustache is very entertaining.

perfect fuck around on your phone couch drunk movie. 

Perfect summation. Get a buzz enjoy the action scenes and stay for Ana De Armas.

I found it boring and that the failure to establish a sympathetic protagonist in the first act left it mostly suspense-less and inert.  I *think* what they were trying to do is to tell a genre story with a little narrative creativity but it didn’t work.  Bourne begins with the loss of memory; you don’t start out with the assassination for a reason.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Ridiculous, over the top, silly, at times stupid, I loved it. 

I’m really glad that there have been some straight action movies lately that didn’t feel the need to lecture me about anything. Top Gun, Ambulance, Terminal List (yeah yeah not a movie), Gray Man. There nothing wrong with just making movies that are fun. 

Can’t wait for Wick 4. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I’m really glad that there have been some straight action movies lately that didn’t feel the need to lecture me about anything. Top Gun, Ambulance, Terminal List (yeah yeah not a movie), Gray Man. There nothing wrong with just making movies that are fun. 

Can’t wait for Wick 4. 

Wait. Was Ambulance actually good? Looked like a shit pile to me so I passed.

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m really glad that there have been some straight action movies lately that didn’t feel the need to lecture me about anything.

I know, right? It's really hard to find an action movie that markets to middle-age white guys. I just feel like Hollywood is missing out on a key demographic.

2 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:

If you've ever felt cheated when a chase scene could have had the camera fly up a building and down the other side, Ambulance has got what you need.

• Like 1

It’s terrible. I loved it.
I know, right? It's really hard to find an action movie that markets to middle-age white guys. I just feel like Hollywood is missing out on a key demographic.

Up top bro!

I liked it a lot. Chris Evans was hilarious as a caricature and the premise and plot was absurd, but aren’t most Bond movies?

The Bridgerton guy was the weakest link— nobody watching this believed that sissy boy was a power player.

The Tamil friend was awesome (got RRR vibes— Tollywood having a moment on Netflix)

The last fight scene was awesome. When Chris Evans punched Goslin’s top of his noggin with his JPP fireworks hand I laughed out loud.

• 6 months later...

Just watched this and it was so horrifically bad it might be enough for me to cancel Netflix.

The scene in the square when Gosling is handcuffed to a bench and 30 bad guys with assault rifles and rocket launchers surround him, but they don’t manage to kill him because they are busy playing GTA with oncoming cops and civilians. Wtf?! Did a 13 year old kid write this?

I get turning your brain off for a popcorn action flick, but this would require a complete lobotomy. It makes the average Michael Bay movie look intelligent. Bad Boys 2 is Casablanca compared to this.

• Haha 2