[Discussion] Mass Shooting at Uvalde Elementary School

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

Firearms were the leading cause of death for kids one and older for the first time in 2020, the most recent year for which CDC data is available.

https://www.axios.com/2022/05/26/gun-deaths-children-america

Screenshot_20220526-155316_Chrome.jpg

It's okay, I just saw a new Republican proposal that should fix this issue: a law banning charts and graphs.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

(Not the point, but wow car deaths drop is really impressive.  Those baby on board thingies are incredibly effective)

Weird how laws and regulations can have a positive impact, or negative if you were in the child coffin business

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

(Not the point, but wow car deaths drop is really impressive.  Those baby on board thingies are incredibly effective)

Probably has more with kids wearing seatbelts (especially when in the back seats.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Probably has more with kids wearing seatbelts (especially when in the back seats.)

It’s vigilance by parents for seat restraints. I can’t even offer a ride to my brother’s kids (who are 6 & 7) without having to go through a backseat car seat assessment. I thought car seats ended when you could sit upright. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

But don't come to me and say "I favor background checks and an assault-weapons ban, but I have to vote Republican because of taxes."  That just tells me that you think a few bucks in your pocket is worth more than a child's life.  That's hardly the political virtue you think it is (speaking here directly to @BabaYaga and not you, Heso).

This is essentially what it boils down to now for anyone that continues to vote Republican. The GOP has zero ideas or answers to prevent or curb these incidents; they're fine with the status quo. It's an indefensible position. 

"Well, I don't want children to die needlessly buuuuuuuut, I can't bear the thought of wealthy people paying more taxes"
"Well, I don't want children to die needlessly buuuuuuuut, I like my AR-15 more"
"Well, I don't want children to die needlessly buuuuuuuut, better they die than have them learn about slavery in school"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

It’s vigilance by parents for seat restraints. I can’t even offer a ride to my brother’s kids (who are 6 & 7) without having to go through a backseat car seat assessment. I thought car seats ended when you could sit upright. 

Nope. My kid is about to be 11 and he still rocks a booster style so the strap sits across his chest correctly in my Tundra.

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

Firearms were the leading cause of death for kids one and older for the first time in 2020, the most recent year for which CDC data is available.

https://www.axios.com/2022/05/26/gun-deaths-children-america

Screenshot_20220526-155316_Chrome.jpg

I posted this pages ago, got questioned for it, backed it up.  More kids get killed here by gun violence than in actual war zones like Ukraine.  Think about that.  We live in a war zone.  

12 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

I keep reading these threads and am going more and more insane. @Immaculate Vibes asking why it's possible to be ashamed to be a Texan. @Bevo joining @Skipper as well-off straight middle-aged white dudes who either have the luxury of not paying attention to politics or not seeing the structural rot within the GOP because it doesn't directly impact them. @Trey3216, @BabaYaga and countless others saying "I don't support murdering kids" when they really mean "I support not-murdering-kids LESS THAN I support lower taxes". 

And now we, as a nation, are going to spend the next precious moments of potential sanity arguing about the action of shitty cops in Uvalde, who realistically are no more or no less shitty than any cops in other fucking city in this country, and whether we could have celebrated only having, say, 12 dead kids, or 10 dead kids, or maybe getting super duper lucky and having 8 dead kids. These cops were just cops. They want to live - which makes total sense - it's a natural reaction. So surely we can all pivot to "oh, maybe more cops in schools aren't the solution because it turns out THEY FUCKING SUCK" and actually work to solve the problem.

Yeah, I'll hold my breath on that last point and see what happens.

Ultimately the 2nd amendment is a constitutional right. The only thing I could see possibly making a dent is banning rifle and shotgun sales under 21 but it’s not a guarantee to even help. The main problem as it relates to school shootings and gun deaths is there’s more guns than people In this country. 

Edited by Immaculate Vibes
  • Fuck You 5

12 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

I keep reading these threads and am going more and more insane. @Immaculate Vibes asking why it's possible to be ashamed to be a Texan. @Bevo joining @Skipper as well-off straight middle-aged white dudes who either have the luxury of not paying attention to politics or not seeing the structural rot within the GOP because it doesn't directly impact them. @Trey3216, @BabaYaga and countless others saying "I don't support murdering kids" when they really mean "I support not-murdering-kids LESS THAN I support lower taxes". 

And now we, as a nation, are going to spend the next precious moments of potential sanity arguing about the action of shitty cops in Uvalde, who realistically are no more or no less shitty than any cops in other fucking city in this country, and whether we could have celebrated only having, say, 12 dead kids, or 10 dead kids, or maybe getting super duper lucky and having 8 dead kids. These cops were just cops. They want to live - which makes total sense - it's a natural reaction. So surely we can all pivot to "oh, maybe more cops in schools aren't the solution because it turns out THEY FUCKING SUCK" and actually work to solve the problem.

Yeah, I'll hold my breath on that last point and see what happens.

I agree. Blaming this tragedy on the cops for not continually walking directly into a barricaded shooter with a semi auto rifle and potential body armor and instead waiting for swat, feels kind of like blaming the door, blaming the fact schools are “gun free zones,” or blaming the teachers for not being armed.  More guns and more police don’t appear to be our solution to our mass shooter pandemic.

I can’t think of any police reforms that would decrease the frequency and magnitude of mass shooting events. 

Are people contemplating that small towns need a more militarized police force? That small town cops need to undergo more “warrior” type training to be more effective at neutralizing threats?

3 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

No. Just fucking no. We have a saying in the fire service, and it’s a saying that is used to drive decision making in the heat of battle. Risk a lot to save a lot. Risk a little to save a little. Risk nothing to save nothing. Risk a lot to save a lot means that no matter how dire the situation may appear, if there is any chance that my actions could lead to a positive outcome then I’m all in. All in means all in. I stood in front of my coworkers, my family, and the taxpayers that pay my salary and swore service before self. That’s what a civil servant is. There’s a handwritten letter in my locker at work. It has my wife’s name on it and it is sealed in an envelope. There are two people that know about that letter, and she isn’t one of them. In that letter is everything I hope she never has to read. But I wrote it because if the day ever comes where it’s either me or Joe Shit the ragman that gets to go home, then my last act on this earth is trying to make sure Ms. Joe Shit isn’t a widow. And I’m at peace with that. I come to work with the goal of going home to my family at the end of my shift, but with the understanding that everyone else goes home to theirs first.

What you’re condoning is cowardice and I’m not ok with it.

Agreed. Firemen have more balls than cops. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

No. Just fucking no. We have a saying in the fire service, and it’s a saying that is used to drive decision making in the heat of battle. Risk a lot to save a lot. Risk a little to save a little. Risk nothing to save nothing. Risk a lot to save a lot means that no matter how dire the situation may appear, if there is any chance that my actions could lead to a positive outcome then I’m all in. All in means all in. I stood in front of my coworkers, my family, and the taxpayers that pay my salary and swore service before self. That’s what a civil servant is. There’s a handwritten letter in my locker at work. It has my wife’s name on it and it is sealed in an envelope. There are two people that know about that letter, and she isn’t one of them. In that letter is everything I hope she never has to read. But I wrote it because if the day ever comes where it’s either me or Joe Shit the ragman that gets to go home, then my last act on this earth is trying to make sure Ms. Joe Shit isn’t a widow. And I’m at peace with that. I come to work with the goal of going home to my family at the end of my shift, but with the understanding that everyone else goes home to theirs first.

Ah,  but you see, the GQP has a plan. We just arm the teachers. a 25 year female with a couple of days of firearms training would certainly do better than those 30 LEO's standing around tasing parents. Insanity

image.jpeg.427635d32f5b3470610c1fbedebbe1a4.jpeg

The city of Uvalde spent 40% of their budget on these fucking pussies, and they were afraid to confront ONE 18 year old that bought his guns a couple of weeks ago. I'm not saying I'm some superhero that would have charged in there fearlessly, but I also didn't choose to be on the police force, and have never had a single day of firearms training. if the excuse is we cant expect the cops to do their job, who the fuck in their right mind expects armed teachers to do their job for them. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Agreed. Firemen have more balls than cops. 

Probably not much more. We’re definitely easier to get along with (usually), but not any more ballsy. I work with some great cops. I work with some great firemen. And I work with some absolute cowards. The difference is when a fireman fucks up most people never hear about it. We aren’t infallible. We have every bit the amount of shit heads that law enforcement does, it’s just a lot easier to hide them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

So your solution to our mass shooting pandemic is police reform so we will have a more militarized police force in every small town, to increase “warrior” police mentality and training in every small town, to increase the numbers of those militarized warrior police to the point that every place of gathering (even in small towns) can be raided by a swat in under 10 minutes? 3 minutes?

Or, is the source of addressing our mass shooting pandemic somewhere else?

My take is that we shouldn’t have semi auto rifles at one end of standoff.

38 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Ultimately the 2nd amendment is a constitutional right. The only thing I could see possibly making a dent is banning rifle and shotgun sales under 21 but it’s not a guarantee to even help. The main problem as it relates to school shootings and gun deaths is there’s more guns than people In this country. 

The constitution was written 250 years ago by men that owned people. I think it’s ok if we stop pretending they know what’s best for us in 2022. 
You know what is guaranteed not to help? Doing nothing. 
You are perfectly fine with dead kids so you can own a gun.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

I agree. Blaming this tragedy on the cops for not continually walking directly into a barricaded shooter with a semi auto rifle and potential body armor and instead waiting for swat, feels kind of like blaming the door, blaming the fact schools are “gun free zones,” or blaming the teachers for not being armed.  More guns and more police don’t appear to be our solution to our mass shooter pandemic.

I can’t think of any police reforms that would decrease the frequency and magnitude of mass shooting events. 

Are people contemplating that small towns need a more militarized police force? That small town cops need to undergo more “warrior” type training to be more effective at neutralizing threats?

No people are advocating for police to do their fucking job

Look. I was told there would be no math. 

what’s the common denominator here:

Guns. They don’t give a shit about, well, anything.  Because they are firearms. They are a simple, effective, and readily available carried system for killing sacks of meat. 

Other countries have easily proven that restricting their availability works at reducing gun deaths. The Second amendment doesn’t ban licenses, yearly possession tax stamps, or ammunition taxes. 

Math is math. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

If that’s really what you took from my post then there’s really no reason to engage you at all.

Yeah. We wanted swat to mobilize and move in faster than 40 minutes. Of course. But how much faster should we expect at a small town? What is reasonable? And then apply the manpower, training, militarization to get that timeframe down to say maybe 10 minutes for all the small towns in the US.  That is massive reform - IMO - to address our mass shooting pandemic. 

Or is the solution to mass shootings somewhere else?

3 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

Yeah. We wanted swat to mobilize and move in faster than 40 minutes. Of course. But how much faster should we expect at a small town? What is reasonable? And then apply the manpower, training, militarization to get that timeframe down to say maybe 10 minutes for all the small towns in the US.  That is massive reform - IMO - to address our mass shooting pandemic. 

They didn’t need swat. They needed to do their fucking job. Are you dense? That’s his point.

Coukd we do the obvious thing? Yes that would be great. But it would also be great if the people we literally pay to be the supposed good guy with a gun could actually be that.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

So your solution to our mass shooting pandemic is police reform so we will have a more militarized police force in every small town, to increase “warrior” police mentality and training in every small town, to increase the numbers of those militarized warrior police to the point that every place of gathering (even in small towns) can be raided by a swat in under 10 minutes? 3 minutes?

My stance is police are more than content to use their right of force against those who are less of a threat.  But yes, put someone out there that may shoot more bullets than they do, they will sit back and let the tragedy become worse.  And I am not making wild accusations.  There is PLENTY of examples out there.  

The fake warrior cops did not cause the tragedy.  But fuck, their cowardly inaction resulted in more kids dying.  And those "heroes" will have to live with that.

Edited by freyguy
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, freyguy said:

My stance is police are more than content to use their right of force against those who are less of a threat.  But yes, put someone out there that may shoot more bullets than they do, they will sit back and let the tragedy become worse.  And I am not asking wild accusations.  There is PLENTY of examples out there.  

The fake warrior cops did not cause the tragedy.  But fuck, their cowardly inaction resulted in more kids dying.  And those "heroes" will have to live with that.

And yet they will keep living comfortably on our dime.

I spent a lot of years in the service industry. Cops tend to work the same hours as cooks, waitresses , and strippers. I’ve spent a lot of time with cops after normie hours.

What occurred at Uvalde and Parkdale doesn’t even remotely surprise me. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

The answer doesn't have to be one thing alone. Here, the cops should have done their jobs. And we should have reasonable gun reform. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

This isn’t all a hypothetical where enabling a response to occur in under 40 minutes would require turning the town into a police state.  There actually were plenty of heavily armed LEOs at the site long before the SWAT team went in.  The problem is they didn’t act sooner even though they reasonably could have.

Ok, but training is probably just as important as having gear - I imagine.  Can any group of small town cops put on bullet proof vests and become a swat and charge a barricaded gunman with a semi auto and potential body armor? 

Obviously, less than 40 minutes should be expected, even for Uvalde. Everyone thinks it should be quicker. 

But if that quick swat mobilization is our ticket to the mass shooting pandemic, those times are going to need to real low - like under 5 minutes - I’m guessing. That seems like a huge task to implement nationwide

1 minute ago, GW Hayduke said:

Ok, but training is probably just as important as having gear - I imagine.  Can any group of small town cops put on bullet proof vests and become a swat and charge a barricaded gunman with a semi auto and potential body armor? 

Obviously, less than 40 minutes should be expected, even for Uvalde. Everyone thinks it should be quicker. 

But if that quick swat mobilization is our ticket to the mass shooting pandemic, those times are going to need to real low - like under 5 minutes - I’m guessing. That seems like a huge task to implement nationwide

If this stupid ass country is gonna keep voting to let this shit happen, then yes, the expectation should be that these dipshits need to be mobilized in 5 minutes. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

That. Is. Their. Job.

If they don’t want to be put in dangerous situations then they should quit we shouldn’t t pay them 100k a year. Unless you think shooting dogs and black men is worthy of that sort of pay.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

The answer doesn't have to be one thing alone. Here, the cops should have done their jobs. And we should have reasonable gun reform. 

I agree solving mass shooting and our firearm violence pandemic will require a range of policy actions, but I don’t believe a more militarized police force should be part of that - or at least I would like to try the other solutions first. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, GW Hayduke said:

I agree solving mass shooting and our firearm violence pandemic will require a range of policy actions, but I don’t believe a more militarized police force should be part of that - or at least I would like to try the other solutions first. 

Why do you keep going back to this? No one is saying that. All anyone thinks is that the armed and vested officers that were on scene didn’t need to wait an hour for swat when their job is to engage the mass shooter.

Why do you keep going back to this? No one is saying that. All anyone thinks is that the armed and vested officers that were on scene didn’t need to wait an hour for swat when their job is to engage the mass shooter.

The known Active Shooter Protocol, since Columbine, is “engage, engage, engage.” If you’re a single cop in shorts with a .38 revolver, it’s still the protocol.
No “be SWAT.” No “make sure you have all the proper gear.” Go in. Engage. Save lives. That’s the protocol. Follow it….or shoot yourself, you worthless POS.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

1) you say it’s a constitutional right as if there cannot be any restrictions on those. There can be and there are. 
2) the constitution can be changed. It was designed to be changed. It has been changed quite a bit.  I imagine there’s a lot of politicians that would never allow a constitutional amendment regarding the 2nd to ever get to a popular vote. 

anyway, the fact that it’s in the constitution in no way insulates it from being changed. 

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

1) you say it’s a constitutional right as if there cannot be any restrictions on those. There can be and there are. 
2) the constitution can be changed. It was designed to be changed. It has been changed quite a bit.  I imagine there’s a lot of politicians that would never allow a constitutional amendment regarding the 2nd to ever get to a popular vote. 

anyway, the fact that it’s in the constitution in no way insulates it from being changed. 

The constitution sucks and lies to us in its very first sentences.

• Hook 'Em 1

Constitutional right? Amendment: meaning change. Meaning change the 2A. Change the whole God damn thing written by powdered wig wearing men that owned people. Make an Amendment to declare that Republican party a terrorist organization. I say this as a former member of your book club.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GW Hayduke said:

Why not have brave policemen and an assault rifle ban?  Doesn’t have to be mutually exclusive 

2 hours ago, GW Hayduke said:

They need fewer chickenshit pussies. 

When did private ownership of AR’s become trendy/widespread?

Was it after Sandy Hook, presumably as an “F you” to Obama? Did NRA/GOP shift their messaging at this point as well? I certainly don’t recall the original “cold dead hands” prop having a 30-round mag hanging out of it…

I joined Army in 2011 and didn’t even know what an M4 was before then; and my perception of an “assault weapon” was something like a gatling gun from old black and white movies…so it had to have been sometime after that time frame

I guess my point is, something this recently popular shouldn’t be that hard to eradicate. Say what you want about the futility of wholesale gun control overall, but I truly think “this time it’s different” with respect to major reforms relating to military weapons…the cop catastrophe is gonna be the last straw for millions of people; this shit is just indefensible and (finally!) is about to be politically untenable now as well. Writing is on the wall, it’s just sickening that these kids and their families had to bear the burden

• Hook 'Em 1