Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

51 minutes ago, B00M said:

Raising the age of ownership of semi autos for young males, waiting periods for young males, criminalize failure to secure firearms, and red flag laws are where I'd put my attention.

So help the dems get a majority and the discussion can actually happen. 

• Hook 'Em 4

“And our teachers told us to be quiet,” Zoey continued, putting an index finger over her mouth. “And they was both holding the door shut, but they had it locked so nobody could break in. And when it was over, we unlocked the bathroom and we went out the back door … I saw Nanny, and she picked me up and said, ‘Where’s Jacob? Where’s Jacob?’ And then they said he had been flew into Greenville Memorial Hospital, and they did all they could to keep him alive. He lost so much blood. And they shot him right there,” Zoey said, pointing to her right leg.

But now there she was, a decade later, sitting in the darkness, practicing once again to escape what so many of her friends had not. Then she heard footsteps and saw the shadow of an administrator checking the locks. Her chest began to throb, and suddenly, Haviland knew she wasn’t okay.

On Tuesday, Haviland did all she could to avoid the details of what had happened in Texas. She didn’t want to know. Years of therapy had helped, but the passage of time was no cure. On Wednesday, she turned 40.

• Rage+1 3

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Maybe, but he’s not wrong.
When I was at UT, I was on the conservative side of the spectrum (not far on it, definitely center right, but still right if the hard liberals and hippies that I was exposed to when I got here). And, I have DEEP family and cultural ties to S. Texas - e.g., my great great grandfather was a famous lawman (historical marker on his grave), my godfather was a Hispanic ATF agent in the border, his son (my cousin and friend) was a BP agent, and the whole stretch of Texas from SA on down has been our home turf for almost 200 years.
What he says about the complex culture and politics is not wrong. And what he says about some cosmopolitan bourgeoisie cluelessness among many liberals isn’t wrong (I have never forgotten the interview comment of someone in NYC when W won his first POTUS race - “how could he have won? I don’t know ANYONE who voted for him!”). I even saw a good bit of this when my wife went to the LBJ school - at a couple of cocktail receptions, I remember my presence as a “conservative” (that’s right, Surly MAGA types - 25 years ago, liberals all considered me to be a a conservative) was a curiosity. They would ask me questions as if I was an alien fallen to earth, because they’d never really engaged with anyone outside r’their bubble. Bubbles can be a two-direction problem.

Texas democrats, to be successful, need to be home-grown, and cognizant of their “base.” Importing NY sensibilities won’t do it. It’s why I’ve commented that a shitload of people don’t realize that in Texas, a shitload of dem voters also own and are quite proficient with firearms (so all the GQP posturing about “yeah, when the civil war happens, we’ll kick your asses” is…not well thought-out. We’ll shoot the fuck back, and we’re not posers, we’re actually lifelong experienced shooters who will calmly drop gravy seals one by one). Kyrie? Pescado? Bozo? Me? All pretty reliable Dem voters these days. And all of us are armed and skilled. But to be clear, all of us aren’t just ok with, but support and vote for better gun regulation.
If you want better gun regulation, you need guys like us on your team. And for our part, if we want a society where we can continue to responsibly own and use our firearms, we need to get better gun regulations.
And to do that….we need to completely destroy the modern GQP, which is the most dangerous anti-democratic force this country has ever faced.

I think the guy was overselling it, maybe because he's a bit overly sensitive about how grad student types perceive his part of South Texas. They aren't any more or any less virtuous than rural folks outside Longview, the only difference is that they are Latino and closer to the border which means more paychecks and benefits are dependent upon federal law enforcement. And for the guys who can't pass background checks, there's the oilfields.

But the reason they are "conservative" is the same reason anyone other rural community is "conservative," and that is because they want to fit in with their friends and ingratiate themselves with their bosses, their friends and their bosses are radicalized bootlickers and oilmen who share batshit memes on Facebook, and Fox News dominates the media universe in which everyone exists. It's a miracle Joe Biden managed to get any votes in these counties, and a testament to how independent people can be even in the face of these forces.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Ted Cruz shouldn't be allowed out in polite society without people calling him out for his shit.

Why not?  Ted is fighting to keep felons and criminals from getting guns.  The fact that bad guys and criminals don't care about laws keeping guns out of their hands has apparently never occurred to him.

1 hour ago, Fastbreak said:

If I was that that close to that morherfucker, there is a 100% chance he would be on the ground and I would be in jail.

I have a feeling that nasty awful terrible side of me I've  worked so hard to control the past 20 years may come roaring back if I'm not careful about who I'm around.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

“And our teachers told us to be quiet,” Zoey continued, putting an index finger over her mouth. “And they was both holding the door shut, but they had it locked so nobody could break in. And when it was over, we unlocked the bathroom and we went out the back door … I saw Nanny, and she picked me up and said, ‘Where’s Jacob? Where’s Jacob?’ And then they said he had been flew into Greenville Memorial Hospital, and they did all they could to keep him alive. He lost so much blood. And they shot him right there,” Zoey said, pointing to her right leg.

But now there she was, a decade later, sitting in the darkness, practicing once again to escape what so many of her friends had not. Then she heard footsteps and saw the shadow of an administrator checking the locks. Her chest began to throb, and suddenly, Haviland knew she wasn’t okay.

On Tuesday, Haviland did all she could to avoid the details of what had happened in Texas. She didn’t want to know. Years of therapy had helped, but the passage of time was no cure. On Wednesday, she turned 40.

Gotdammit

I think the guy was overselling it, maybe because he's a bit overly sensitive about how grad student types perceive his part of South Texas. They aren't any more or any less virtuous than rural folks outside Longview, the only difference is that they are Latino and closer to the border which means more paychecks and benefits are dependent upon federal law enforcement. And for the guys who can't pass background checks, there's the oilfields.
But the reason they are "conservative" is the same reason anyone other rural community is "conservative," and that is because they want to fit in with their friends and ingratiate themselves with their bosses, their friends and their bosses are radicalized bootlickers and oilmen who share batshit memes on Facebook, and Fox News dominates the media universe in which everyone exists. It's a miracle Joe Biden managed to get any votes in these counties, and a testament to how independent people can be even in the face of these forces.

I am asking you to read what I’m writing here sincerely, and seriously: you are wrong.
Let’s think of some things that have been “claimed” by conservatism: owning a gun, having border enforcement, and oil and gas extraction.
For DECADES - not just today, and not to “ingratiate themselves with their radicalized boot locker friends” - S Texas democrats have owned and used firearms, worked with and in Border Patrol, and been heavily entwined with the oil patch. Add ranching to that list. And driving pickups. And other stereotypes that you might think of…..and you just described my family, since post-WWII and actually a good bit before.
There are a whole lot of common sense, moderately “conservative” values that have long had a home with dem voters. As we’ve become polarized, it’s been hard to place those values - even the good, healthy ones, that most all Dems agree with (eg, 95% of Dems actually do think we need a border and a border patrol) - with Dems. Why? Because they’ve been claimed and perverted by the GQP. For example, Border Patrol has become a happily fascist and cruel organization, disseminating insane thoughts and in some cases operating as a private fascist force for the POTUS.
Writing off huge swaths of Texas, particularly S Texas, as you’re doing right now, is one of the stupidest things Texas Dems have done and continue to do. We should stop that.
  • Hook 'Em 3

53 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Texas democrats, to be successful, need to be home-grown, and cognizant of their “base.” Importing NY sensibilities won’t do it. It’s why I’ve commented that a shitload of people don’t realize that in Texas, a shitload of dem voters also own and are quite proficient with firearms (so all the GQP posturing about “yeah, when the civil war happens, we’ll kick your asses” is…not well thought-out. We’ll shoot the fuck back, and we’re not posers, we’re actually lifelong experienced shooters who will calmly drop gravy seals one by one). Kyrie? Pescado? Bozo? Me? All pretty reliable Dem voters these days. And all of us are armed and skilled. But to be clear, all of us aren’t just ok with, but support and vote for better gun regulation.
If you want better gun regulation, you need guys like us on your team. And for our part, if we want a society where we can continue to responsibly own and use our firearms, we need to get better gun regulations.
And to do that….we need to completely destroy the modern GQP, which is the most dangerous anti-democratic force this country has ever faced.

So in order to be successful, Democrats need to be more conservative.

Great. Just great.

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Great. Just great.

Well if you want to appeal to the majority in Texas, yes. If you want to cram a progressive agenda down people’s throats just because you’re the lesser of two evils you might not like the choices the majority makes

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Great. Just great.

Yes and no. In Texas, yes. Sorry to tell you this, but texas has a shitload more gun owners (and this was true well back before the insane “everyone should have an AR” stage) than, say, NY does. As just one example of an issue on which Texas will naturally be to the right of the hard left position.
But also no, because the position of most Texans is actually consistent with the position of the Dem party on, for example, the border: we need a border, and rational and humane enforcement of border protection policies (that doesn’t require a wall, or demonizing brown people….we’ve had this approach before). Fuck, my dad’s first job was as a van driver shuttling around braceros, and my cousin worked for the BP. We know how to do the border.
I’ll tell you this: a strategy of either taking S Texans for granted OR being so patronizing and denigrating that you shove some of them over to the GQP is, ummm, counterproductive for those of us who might like to keep trying for a sane republic that can actually survive.
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Please listen to women and girls.

We have an advanced radar for creepy behavior and violent tendencies.

We’re unfortunately trained on spotting red flags.

But you see, that's like a girls opinion.  That really doesn't matter much these days.  Moose out front should have told you.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Whole lotta qualifiers in that thread.

As a multi-generation Austinite, born and raised, it wasn’t till I moved away and started raising my own family in majority minority community that is routinely denigrated by the other citizens of the DC Area that I began to recognize the absolutely toxic Austin liberal superiority complex vis-a-vis the rest of the state and particularly South Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Blah blah blah, shut up and be the semi-sentient uterus that God intended you to be, handmaid.
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Snowflakes

9 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Clearly we need to give women and teen girls guns. Kidding. Sort of. 

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

As a multi-generation Austinite, born and raised, it wasn’t till I moved away and started raising my own family in majority minority community that is routinely denigrated by the other citizens of the DC Area that I began to recognize the absolutely toxic Austin liberal superiority complex vis-a-vis the rest of the state and particularly South Texas. 

That toxic relationship is a two-way street. Having grown up in a small West Texas town with friends and family still out there, I can confirm they can barely contain their contempt for all those damned liberals in Austin. Oh, and by the way, Austin is also a majority minority community and has been since the aughts.

• Hook 'Em 6

37 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Herschel Walker was right!

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

As a multi-generation Austinite, born and raised, it wasn’t till I moved away and started raising my own family in majority minority community that is routinely denigrated by the other citizens of the DC Area that I began to recognize the absolutely toxic Austin liberal superiority complex vis-a-vis the rest of the state a nd particularly South Texas. 

And living in rural Texas exposes one to the equally toxic conservative inferiority complex.

• Hook 'Em 7

23 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Constitution is silent on ammunition, therefore there's no right to sell or possess it. /Alito

Constitution doesn't mention abortions either.  Weird, huh?

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, it's much more than that.  These people run this shit.  They run this state, and multiple others.  They run the Senate and the SCOTUS.  America is aggy.  Let that sink in.  It's as hellish as you would imagine.

Untitled-0010.jpg

They run it because other people let them.  They are much better at getting out the vote.  

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Our state literally prohibits people from promoting good feels.

The dildo war was instigated by Cruz right? the biggest dildo of all?  https://www.thewrap.com/ted-cruz-sets-the-record-straight-on-sex-toys/

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I am asking you to read what I’m writing here sincerely, and seriously: you are wrong.
Let’s think of some things that have been “claimed” by conservatism: owning a gun, having border enforcement, and oil and gas extraction.
For DECADES - not just today, and not to “ingratiate themselves with their radicalized boot locker friends” - S Texas democrats have owned and used firearms, worked with and in Border Patrol, and been heavily entwined with the oil patch. Add ranching to that list. And driving pickups. And other stereotypes that you might think of…..and you just described my family, since post-WWII and actually a good bit before.
There are a whole lot of common sense, moderately “conservative” values that have long had a home with dem voters. As we’ve become polarized, it’s been hard to place those values - even the good, healthy ones, that most all Dems agree with (eg, 95% of Dems actually do think we need a border and a border patrol) - with Dems. Why? Because they’ve been claimed and perverted by the GQP. For example, Border Patrol has become a happily fascist and cruel organization, disseminating insane thoughts and in some cases operating as a private fascist force for the POTUS.
Writing off huge swaths of Texas, particularly S Texas, as you’re doing right now, is one of the stupidest things Texas Dems have done and continue to do. We should stop that.

They wrote off pretty much all rural Texas.  I have heard repeatedly where only 5 counties are needed to turn Texas blue.  I think 2020 is forcing people to revisit that strategy, particularly in South Texas.  Now they are trying to make it seem they give a damn, but the failures of 2020 haunt them in fundraising and support and they are backpedaling as quickly as possible trying to regain ground, at least in the RGV.

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

I think both of you guys have good points.  I grew up in south Texas and lived in Laredo for a handful of years.  It's a different world for sure and still operates on a lot of old political machinery, see the Cuellar race.   The Laredo I knew 40 years ago more resembled chainsaw's version.  But I can  definitely see where Brisket has a point, particularly on the overall macro view, and changes in attitude since then.

37 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

My son graduated from a rural school in east Texas last year.  He was in a group chat with maybe a dozen guys from his class.  One of them has one more than one occasion spouted misogynistic shit like this guy was apparently doing.   My son called him out in the group chat and not a single other guy in that group backed him up.  In fact about half of them threatened him.  The misogynist dude is all ready to throw down!    Peer pressure is a hell of a thing. 

Like I said a couple of days ago, increasing funding for mental health won't help until you make mental health therapy acceptable.  There's no way in hell assholes like this bully kid will admit to needing  help, much less engage in any counseling.  That group chat would eviscerate him for being "gay"  or "soft."   

And then you got the preachers in line telling parents to save their kids they need to be getting back to god.  And oh yeah, bring your checkbooks.  Fuck that.

In most any other age we could laugh this off, but Vinnie is 18..can buy a gun, no problem.  Maybe he won't shoot up a school, but who's going to say he won't shoot up my house, then claim some "stand my ground, protect my freedoms to be an asshole" defense?  He'd get off in this county for gunning down a lib.

51 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Well if you want to appeal to the majority in Texas, yes. If you want to cram a progressive agenda down people’s throats just because you’re the lesser of two evils you might not like the choices the majority makes

Are you talking about Biden's programs?  Or did you have some in mind being promoted by Dems running for office here in Texas?  Like serious agenda items, not those trumped up things like Defund Police or Take all the guns!!     I mean I follow these folks pretty closely and don't see anything that's overly progressive.  But then maybe I am too close to the action and could use a thump on the head to see a broader pic.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, elfenix said:

Texas Penal Code 43.23

So if someone finds Ted Cruz and plants a bunch of dildos on him all is cool?  Does a double dong dildo count as one or two?   

Edited by Nivek

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Really excellent piece from Texas Monthly. It covers all the bases on how we've failed our kids over the last few years in this state. Hard to read. Enraging. But it must be read. No paywall.

really well written. every paragraph was more enraging than the previous.

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Oh look, time for more soldier cosplay 

So much wrong with this.  1) the Parkland shooter waltzed in and out of buildings murdering kids and then casually went across the street while those impotent fuckheads did nothing.    So there is no proof they are the badasses they are pretending to be.   

2) Plus their job is not to execute people or threaten to execute people.  It shows a complete lack of professionalism and complete misunderstanding of what their job is supposed to be.  

Edited by Nivek
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Like serious agenda items, not those trumped up things like Defund Police or Take all the guns!!   

Quoting the candidate's past comment about selling back AR-15s and AK-47s, moderator David Muir asked O'Rourke: "Are you proposing taking away their guns? And how would this work?"  O'Rourke answered, "Hell, yes, we're going to take your AR-15, your AK-47."

if you are a serious candidate for statewide office in Texas you don’t say stupid shit like this

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Nivek said:

HAHA.  Fucking frauds.  Those bitchass mutherfuckers cowered while the Parkland shooter casually waltzed in and around the school murdering children and then walked away to get a soda.  fuck those frauds.   

Same thing happened at the Pulse nightclub shooting. An armed off-duty cop working security hid in the parking lot until reinforcements arrived. 

2 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Right. If you want the people of Texas to take you seriously, you should say thoughtful, productive things like “Thoughts and prayers” and “School librarians are pornographers” and “It could have been worse.” 

• Like 4
  • Rage+1 4

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread