Breaking: Former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan has been assassinated

Laxtonto

41 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

So he comes to shoot a politician, but wears his mask to help curb the spread of Covid.  blend in with the crowd.

I would assume it's more about  how close he could get.

It's kind of morbid in a sense but Abe probably had a better chance of survival if he was shot in the US.  Not saying anything bad about Japanese healthcare just saying that US medical is probably way better at treating gun shot wounds from on scene until surgery 

I listened to the live English translated press conference with the ER surgeon - some weirdly specific and detailed questions were asked by the press BTW, assume it’s a cultural thing - who indicated that there was a significant open wound to his heart. So he likely had no chance and was dead within a very short time. The translation could be wonky, but that’s what I got out of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is really sad and shocking news.  Abe really was a giant in Japanese politics; I'm not sure there is any analogous figure in modern American politics.  So this is going to be really traumatic for the Japanese people (who already have a lot to deal with, as referenced above).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

This is really sad and shocking news.  Abe really was a giant in Japanese politics; I'm not sure there is any analogous figure in modern American politics.  So this is going to be really traumatic for the Japanese people (who already have a lot to deal with, as referenced above).

All of this. Damn. Then you read about the alleged shooter and a possible motivation (setting aside any conspiracy theories) and it’s like WTF? Just terribly shocking and depressing news. He’d likely still have been PM were it not for his ulcerative colitis issues. Truly sad shit.

46 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Abe really was a giant in Japanese politics; I'm not sure there is any analogous figure in modern American politics.

Jesse 'the body' Ventura and Arnold 'black egg' Schwarzenegger

3 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

It's kind of morbid in a sense but Abe probably had a better chance of survival if he was shot in the US.  Not saying anything bad about Japanese healthcare just saying that US medical is probably way better at treating gun shot wounds from on scene until surgery 

not really.

First shot missed, Abe could have escaped, but I guess gunshots are so foreign to them that they had no idea what it was. Granted, it didn't sound much like one, but we're pretty conditioned to take cover if you hear a boom in a public space, these days.

• Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

First shot missed, Abe could have escaped, but I guess gunshots are so foreign to them that they had no idea what it was. Granted, it didn't sound much like one, but we're pretty conditioned to take cover if you hear a boom in a public space, these days.

Jesus. RIP Abe. I can’t see anyone surviving that. Holy shit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Then why’d most everyone else react to it except him?

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Then why’d most everyone else react to it except him?

didn't really react like it was a gunshot though. nobody made a move towards their principal, and you can see it takes a second-plus for it to register and them make a move towards the shooter/try to shield Abe

16 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Not really. Take the recent shooting in Illinois for example. A good ten or fifteen shots had been fired and numerous people were sitting there confused. 

17 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Not really. Take the recent shooting in Illinois for example. A good ten or fifteen shots had been fired and numerous people were sitting there confused. 

In the time it took this homemade gun to fire two rounds, you could fire almost 10 rounds from an AR. 

As to the comment that everyone appears to react, are we watching the same vid? Almost everyone is still standing there even after the second shot and Abe falling. Barely even a scream. 

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Agree completely. I lived in Japan from 2018 - 2021 and he was always talked about more in a 'funny uncle' type of way but with a respectful and appreciative tone. And that sentiment was universal whether you belonged to his party or not. When COVID first hit he led an effort to send every household in Japan a package of masks (because they were sold out everywhere). My colleagues joked about it but once the masks arrived in the mail each of us cheered over Zoom. For them it was "Welp, Abe san got it done!". For me I was just grateful to have some masks.

Tragic day for Japan.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

In the time it took this homemade gun to fire two rounds, you could fire almost 10 rounds from an AR. 

As to the comment that everyone appears to react, are we watching the same vid? Almost everyone is still standing there even after the second shot and Abe falling. Barely even a scream. 

It sounded a lot like a tire blowout. I’d guess in Japan, that’s everyone’s first thought.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Breaking: Former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan has been assassinated
4 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Maybe because it was the 4th of July and gun shots and Black Cats sound extremely similar?

34 minutes ago, T-shirt Sip said:

I'm not up to speed with politics. Who would this guy compare to on the American side? A former president? 

In terms of title, yes. He would be Trump (ex-president who had most recently held the office) but unlike Trump, in terms of overall respect and clout Shinzo Abe had held office for an incredibly long time and was a popular political figure for decades. Kind of a mixed bag policy-wise and like any politician he was not universally loved.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, orange dream said:

First shot definitely appears to have either missed or been a misfire of some sort.  I don't see how no one else (security, etc.) was hurt who was standing between him and the gunman.  Shot gun blasts typically not that precise.

RIP Abe

At that range a shotgun really doesn't spread out all that much.