2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Someone took something Sarkisian said in the press at face value and it is trending towards becoming mantra. I don't, not for a second, believe that Davis isn't coordinating what he's doing with the DL with the rest of the defense. Zero percent chance.

If only we had a someone on the staff to pull together all of these different defensive coaches, get them aligned around one scheme and working together.  I'm not sure what to call that role.  Defensive Administrator?  Defensive Adviser?  Defensive Supervisor?  ...man, this is TOUGH!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Someone took something Sarkisian said in the press at face value and it is trending towards becoming mantra. I don't, not for a second, believe that Davis isn't coordinating what he's doing with the DL with the rest of the defense. Zero percent chance.

I'm confused how people think that would actually work or what they think they mean by it.

I'm picturing something like the WR coach teaching his own route tree separate from the OC and QBs.  It doesn't even make sense.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, justhookit said:

I know it’s hard to tell because so many times last year our defense gave poor effort, but the coaches told the defense to let them score there because of the score/time situation.

Lulz, the effort level is about the same. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

If only we had a someone on the staff to pull together all of these different defensive coaches, get them aligned around one scheme and working together.  I'm not sure what to call that role.  Defensive Administrator?  Defensive Adviser?  Defensive Supervisor?  ...man, this is TOUGH!

Patterson. The word you're looking for is Patterson.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Where was this marked improvement from Ford when he played 50% more snaps than any other LBer in the WVU and KU games? You know our two shiftiest efforts all season. And two of the last 3 games. Our 3rd down defense was actually decent save those two games. Those two converted 62% of 3rd downs. Obviously that was a team effort, but he was on the field a lot. I guess he was a badass when KState averaged 6.5 yards per rush. If you take away those 2 3rd and 4th plays that we stopped, in which he had no impact on, they averaged 7.6 yards per rush.

Take away those two games and we allowed a 37% 3rd down conversion rate. And other than those two, we allowed a 27% conversion rate via the pass.

Thus far, he’s shown no ability to make big plays. His “biggest” plays were some easy 3rd down stops far short of the sticks and the gimme two pointer versus OSU when manned up on a swing pass. He did do a good job of not getting picked on that one. Obviously we lack big plays across the board, but he’s a big contributor to the lack thereof.

Ford, Brockermeyer and Collins formed a massive triangle of suckiness at the heart of our defense against Kansas. But Ford to his credit improved after that game.

Collins and Brockermeyer meanwhile have slid down the depth chart, so one can hope things will improve in that department.

• Drool 1

5 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

Tom Hermans' staffs' inability to recruit edge rushers and linebackers was astounding. It has left our defenses roaming the desert.

Just tossing the blame on Herman isn't going to cut it after two transfer portal offseasons. Especially after missing as badly on Ochuan Mathis as we did.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Does anyone know if a starting KICKER (short for placekicker) has been announced or if they've officially announced Banks at TACKLE (short for offensive tackle)?

banks is OFFICIAL (short for officially) our starting TACKLE. KICKER TBD

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Does anyone know if a starting KICKER (short for placekicker) has been announced or if they've officially announced Banks at TACKLE (short for offensive tackle)?

You're a bright guy, which is why seeing you do this is even funnier than it should be. The only people bothered by the capitalizing of the various other positions are going to be the guys bothered by the capitalizing of EDGE. In other words, we know you're cringing when you type those positions out, and it is very fulfilling knowing this issue bothers you. It matters not to the rest of us.

But no, no one has been named the PK yet, and Banks isn't announced to the media at TACKLE, but there's no mystery with him being the starter within the ranks of the TEAM.

Edited by closetojumping
stupid forum bug nonsense
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Just tossing the blame on Herman isn't going to cut it after two transfer portal offseasons. Especially after missing as badly on Ochuan Mathis as we did.

You do understand that the Herman regime could have left someone behind that would be a Jr, Sr or RS Sophomore that was worth a shit right? You want to continue to blame the current coaching staff for the lack of upperclass talent because of the portal? Your shitty takes bleed all over this board and it is embarrassing. How about placing the blame where it squarely lies. We don't have talented upperclassmen at LB or DE because of Tom Herman and his staff. This staff swung and missed on pretty much the only good available edge rusher in the country from the portal so all the fault lies with Sark and his staff? As far as their first year not picking up some portal help. They didn't even know what they had. Remember that thing covid that limited spring practice?

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

This staff swung and missed on pretty much the only good available edge rusher in the country from the portal so all the fault lies with Sark and his staff?

This isn't an all or nothing conversation. Herman sucked AND Sark could have done more through the portal. We didn't purse every edge rusher this past offseason. We didn't need to get a future first round draft pick. An average edge player would have been a massive upgrade. We should have money-whipped Mathis but we didn't. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Another note, pass rushers and linebackers typically take a couple of years to develop into quality players. Their only option was the portal and there wasn't very many options there. It's kinda like tackle, teams just don't let those guys go.

Just now, JFKFC said:

This isn't an all or nothing conversation. Herman sucked AND Sark could have done more through the portal. We didn't purse every edge rusher this past offseason. We didn't need to get a future first round draft pick. An average edge player would have been a massive upgrade. We should have money-whipped Mathis but we didn't. 

Money whipping isn't on Sark.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

You do understand that the Herman regime could have left someone behind that would be a Jr, Sr or RS Sophomore that was worth a shit right? You want to continue to blame the current coaching staff for the lack of upperclass talent because of the portal? Your shitty takes bleed all over this board and it is embarrassing. How about placing the blame where it squarely lies. We don't have talented upperclassmen at LB or DE because of Tom Herman and his staff. This staff swung and missed on pretty much the only good available edge rusher in the country from the portal so all the fault lies with Sark and his staff? As far as their first year not picking up some portal help. They didn't even know what they had. Remember that thing covid that limited spring practice?

Save your spin for the people who don't follow recruiting. When a 3-9 Nebraska squad is able to upgrade their DE talent through the portal and you're not, that's a problem. And as you repeatedly need to be reminded, a first-year coach out in Lawrence that was hired three months after Sark brought in nine starters from the transfer portal in a matter of months, then beat us with them in November. So that excuse falls as flat as the rest.

We grabbed a grand total of two defensive players from the portal this year to upgrade one of the worst defenses in the conference. It's not a stretch to think we could have done a lot better.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Another note, pass rushers and linebackers typically take a couple of years to develop into quality players. Their only option was the portal and there wasn't very many options there. It's kinda like tackle, teams just don't let those guys go.

Were none of these guys (other than Mathis) worth the effort?

https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/news/transfer-portal-breakdown-10-most-impactful-edge-transfers-2022/

4 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I truly have no idea how the NIL voodoo works but I have to think, somehow, the word goes from the staff to the big swinin' ****s where they should spend their $.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Save your spin for the people who don't follow recruiting. When a 3-9 Nebraska squad is able to upgrade their DE talent through the portal and you're not, that's a problem. And as you repeatedly need to be reminded, a first-year coach out in Lawrence that was hired three months after Sark brought in nine starters from the transfer portal in a matter of months, then beat us with them in November. So that excuse falls as flat as the rest.

We grabbed a grand total of two defensive players from the portal this year to upgrade one of the worst defenses in the conference. It's not a stretch to think we could have done a lot better.

That's it! FIRE PK! And no I don't mean the PLACEKICKER!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You're a bright guy, which is why seeing you do this is even funnier than it should be. The only people bothered by the capitalizing of the various other positions are going to be the guys bothered by the capitalizing of EDGE. In other words, we know you're cringing when you type those positions out, and it is very fulfilling knowing this issue bothers you. It matters not to the rest of us.

But no, no one has been named the PK yet, and Banks isn't announced to the media at TACKLE, but there's no mystery with him being the starter within the ranks of the TEAM.

You know me well enough to know I'm actually laughing at the absurdity of guys trying to seem plugged in to football jargon by typing edge in all caps. Now please provide value in other ways, such as confirming that our starting CORNERs (short for cornerbacks) are set in stone. Metaphorically, not literally. That would be bad. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

good heavens ... are YOU telling us now that we should trust the coaches?

Star Trek Kirk GIF

6 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/news/transfer-portal-breakdown-10-most-impactful-edge-transfers-2022/

I truly have no idea how the NIL voodoo works but I have to think, somehow, the word goes from the staff to the big swinin' ****s where they should spend their $.

Looks like you have moved on from offensive line portal whining to the defensive end glory hole portal wish casting......nice. You and Satyanash should get a room and peg each other. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Ford, Brockermeyer and Collins formed a massive triangle of suckiness at the heart of our defense against Kansas. But Ford to his credit improved after that game.
Collins and Brockermeyer meanwhile have slid down the depth chart, so one can hope things will improve in that department.

I’m watching the WVU game right now. Ford is fitting right in. He’s made a couple of good plays. But just being out there largely. We’ve tallied our most sacks in half season but yet our lack of pass rush hurts. Coverage sacks on our TWO sacks.

Just saw about a 30 yard run. DB had a clean shot in the backfield. Touched no one cause of the Doege run threat. This was a major issue throughout the season. Not that it happened all the time but when you’re put in great position, do something.

Followed by a 20 yard run right at Ford. Of course the LG gets a clean run right at Ford. Murphy either guesses wrong or something cause he’s going weakside when the balls going strong side. He’s lined up inside on the LG yet the C basically reaches him. Gbenda undercuts his block as the RG gets a clean release. Single blocks on everybody upfront. Brockermeyers fault.

That’s a good summary. Discipline and consistency is key.

22 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

... I truly have no idea how the NIL voodoo works but I have to think, somehow, the word goes from the staff to the big swinin' ****s where they should spend their $.

So, you think that our major donors aren't chicken fuckers, but instead they're pig fuckers

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

I never understood why UT put their eggs all in 1 basket in Mathis, when at 1-point they were willing to take both Mathis & Sanders as EDGE transfers. Once Sanders committed to Arky, they should've moved on to recruitng the next EDGE transfer portal guy available instead of settling for just taking Mathis.

Passing on the twin EDGE brothers from UNT that ended up transferring to UCLA was always a head scratcher to me.

Edited by TheMailBox357
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

I’m watching the WVU game right now. Ford is fitting right in. He’s made a couple of good plays. But just being out there largely. We’ve tallied our most sacks in half season but yet our lack of pass rush hurts. Coverage sacks on our TWO sacks.

Just saw about a 30 yard run. DB had a clean shot in the backfield. Touched no one cause of the Doege run threat. This was a major issue throughout the season. Not that it happened all the time but when you’re put in great position, do something.

Followed by a 20 yard run right at Ford. Of course the LG gets a clean run right at Ford. Murphy either guesses wrong or something cause he’s going weakside when the balls going strong side. He’s lined up inside on the LG yet the C basically reaches him. Gbenda undercuts his block as the RG gets a clean release. Single blocks on everybody upfront. Brockermeyers fault.

That’s a good summary. Discipline and consistency is key.

Username doesn’t check out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1