2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

2 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

With all the talk of how much Sark sucks, I was curious about whether it's better to have an elite offense or defense and be mediocre on the other site. At least over the last few years, lopsided teams with elite defenses seem to have a higher floor than teams with elite offense/bad defense. A top 10 defense and bad offense probably means you are going to finish with 9+ wins and ranked pretty high. Aggy was the worst team with an elite defense last year at 7-4 followed by Clemson and Wisconsin with 9 wins each. It's not as clear with elite offenses. Oklahoma and Ohio State were led by cocksuckers the only elite offense/non-elite defense teams to finish in the top 10. Tennessee was top 5 on offense, 55th on offense, and finished 6-6. On the flip side, there are teams like BYU and Wake Forest that were really good on offense, sucked on defense, and finished with pretty good records.

That's a long way of saying maybe we win, maybe we don't, maybe OU can go fuck itself.

6r1zgs.jpg

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

End of the day here my only bitch with the naysayers on here:  if you want to predict 5-7 or 6-6 cool, you do you- you might well be right. But don’t tell me that this teams ceiling is 7-5. They have a very real and very defensible argument for winning 10 or 12 games this year (counting big 12 title game and bowl game). 2-1 should be guaranteed in non conference. 7-2 isn’t some insurmountable hurdle in this conference. Do that and you have 2 more games to get to 10 or 11 wins. Gabe everything break right and you go 10-2 in the regular season and could get to 12 as an outside stretch goal. 

I’d be curious how many times a team has finished 5-7 with 6 straight losses to end a season and bounced back the next year and popped off 10+ wins.

This team has absolutely no idea how to win at this level. Hopefully it starts to click, but we are young and are going to take some lumps this year.

Let’s just not look like hammered dogshit at the end of the year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Andy staples is good on his podcasts IMO. Think he is with them or at least a contributor. 

I guess. When he pops onto other pods like Splitzone Duo, he doesn't really stand out. And from his SI articles, I mostly remember him regurgitating the obvious for football stuff and ranking college town restaurants. Which I guess is better than Stewart Mandel, now that you mention it

7 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’d be curious how many times a team has finished 5-7 with 6 straight losses to end a season and bounced back the next year and popped off 10+ wins.

This team has absolutely no idea how to win at this level. Hopefully it starts to click, but we are young and are going to take some lumps this year.

Well the freshmen like banks and ewers don’t know how to lose at this level, so there. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

If a coach is going to get the program off the ground year 2 is always when you see it happening. 
Those 6 games weren’t blowouts and I think a lot of guys just checked out. I think a lot of those checked out guys got in the motherfucker. I Don’t see any particular reason to stipulate 6 in a row as instructive- you can just leave it as how many teams went 5-7 and then won 10. 
also- we did end the season beating KSU. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Screenshot_2022-08-24-20-10-43_kindlephoto-10998327.thumb.png.6f87d554f88c56fc9af109df4633df41.png

Mandel is trolling Texas and OU fans, probably because of the imminent move to the SEC. He can’t honestly believe that a Texas team which improved several position groups across the board  is going to have a worse record than last year in a conference that on balance won’t be as good as last year. To top that off, the horse he is backing has Adrian Fucking Martinez as it’s QB who hasn’t proven to be anything resembling consistency in the 15 years or so it seems like he has been playing college football. Feeing some Iowa State 2021 vibes here with a team that is hyped beyond what they actually produce. Cant wait to point and laugh at this in December when he gets exactly nothing right…

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

poop GIF

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Agree. We’ll know what Sark’s program is going to be after this season. 

Someone replied to me talking about the high beta nature of this Texas team when I said big 12 champs on 1 end to fire Sark on the other with “what record would get him fired?”  
I don’t know that any record gets him fired, but I do believe if we don’t win 8 games this thing isn’t ever going to happen. 
I’m bullish on this thing happening, obviously, with the caveat that some sort of nightmare injury scenario or referring could give me a pass for less than 8 wins, but it would have to be pretty dire. There is enough talent relative to the schedule that he just has to get it done or I believe it won’t get done. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Andy staples is good on his podcasts IMO. Think he is with them or at least a contributor. 

Good for you.

I can't watch Andy Staples -- too much of an asshole for me.  Not a fan of his partner Ari either...

Staples has a punchable face 😋

download.jpeg.9a7d44a85b26fed8dcbfab387664b09c.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Idk what this season looks like.  I’m leaning more towards 8-9 wins and that would be a successful ass year in my books.  Push 10 with a bowl win.  

But fuck man. If Sark can get us there, next year on paper looks scary as fuck.  

Ewers, KRob, Brooks, Worthy, Neyor, Whit, Hall, Sanders, whatever mix match of OL you want, plus any freshman that make moves this year (B. Thompson, Red, insert OL of choice)

D not as loaded but Murphy, Broughton, Collins, Ford, Gbenda, Watts, Crawford, Barron, Thompson plus freshman poppers. 

None of which include freshman from a top 3 class.  A 9-4, 10-3 type season would be so massive.  You’d think that gets guys like Hill, Hicks, etc looking at shit again. 

Sark might not be the dude but fuck he’s working his ass off to restock the cupboard. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It’s not that uncommon a jump to make a 5 game improvement or to go from middle of the conference to top of the conference year to year. Baylor went from 2 wins to conference champs just last year. Texas went from 4 wins to 9 when we still played an 11 game regular season when Brown took over. 
We’ve had a 5 win improvement 6 Times in school history. If we get to 10 my prediction is that we will play 14 games to get there, so that’s essentially going from a 41% to 71% winning percentage. We’ve done that a dozen times in school history, and that’s a school that doesn’t have a ton of opportunities to pull off that kind of feat because we aren’t usually sub or near 500. 
Saban went from 6 wins to 12 

Stoops went from 7 to 13

Jim Tressell, Bobby Bowden, Pete Carrol, Mark Richt, terry Bowden, Tommy Tubberville, Rich Rodriguez, Les Miles, Paul Johnson- I’m sure there are more, but they all improved by 5 games from year 1 to year 2  it’s not unusual or rare  it happens all the time, even for coaches that aren’t all time greats  

if he doesn’t make significant improvement he’s just not the guy.

hell- Herman went from 7- 10 in year 2

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fud said:

I guess. When he pops onto other pods like Splitzone Duo, he doesn't really stand out. And from his SI articles, I mostly remember him regurgitating the obvious for football stuff and ranking college town restaurants. Which I guess is better than Stewart Mandel, now that you mention it

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Good for you.

I can't watch Andy Staples -- too much of an asshole for me.  Not a fan of his partner Ari either...

Staples has a punchable face 😋

download.jpeg.9a7d44a85b26fed8dcbfab387664b09c.jpeg

Fair enough. Maybe it's the craving for content and will listen to him over idiots like childers on espnu radio. 

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s not that uncommon a jump to make a 5 game improvement or to go from middle of the conference to top of the conference year to year. Baylor went from 2 wins to conference champs just last year. Texas went from 4 wins to 9 when we still played an 11 game regular season when Brown took over. 
We’ve had a 5 win improvement 6 Times in school history. If we get to 10 my prediction is that we will play 14 games to get there, so that’s essentially going from a 41% to 71% winning percentage. We’ve done that a dozen times in school history, and that’s a school that doesn’t have a ton of opportunities to pull off that kind of feat because we aren’t usually sub or near 500. 
Saban went from 6 wins to 12 

Stoops went from 7 to 13

Jim Tressell, Bobby Bowden, Pete Carrol, Mark Richt, terry Bowden, Tommy Tubberville, Rich Rodriguez, Les Miles, Paul Johnson- I’m sure there are more, but they all improved by 5 games from year 1 to year 2  it’s not unusual or rare  it happens all the time, even for coaches that aren’t all time greats  

if he doesn’t make significant improvement he’s just not the guy.

hell- Herman went from 7- 10 in year 2

I'm repping you but you should quit stooping to the level of the doomsayers. Everyone with a brain knows that a huge turnaround from year 1 to year 2 is possible in cfb. Fucking Michigan just went from 2-4 to the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I'm repping you but you should quit stooping to the level of the doomsayers. Everyone with a brain knows that a huge turnaround from year 1 to year 2 is possible in cfb. Fucking Michigan just went from 2-4 to the playoffs. 

I’m trying to apply reason to an unreasonable position - that’s dumb on my part and you are right. I’m also bored and fucking around and down some rabbit holes on wiki and the like with nothing better to do. 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m trying to apply reason to an unreasonable position - that’s dumb on my part and you are right. I’m also bored and fucking around and down some rabbit holes on wiki and the like with nothing better to do. 

I was going down similar rabbit holes last night. It honestly is difficult to find a losing first season from a really elite HC in recent memory. But there's comparable stuff out there.

Also... I'm going to stick by the fact that we were pretty good as far as 5-7 squads go. That team was a couple of plays away from being 7-5 or 8-4. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I was going down similar rabbit holes last night. It honestly is difficult to find a losing first season from a really elite HC in recent memory. But there's comparable stuff out there.

Also... I'm going to stick by the fact that we were pretty good as far as 5-7 squads go. That team was a couple of plays away from being 7-5 or 8-4. 

Yep. I keep saying if you played that season 100 times the mean would be 7.5 wins, the mode would be 7 and the median would be 7. They literally went like 2-6 in games that could have gone either way. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Fair enough. Maybe it's the craving for content and will listen to him over idiots like childers on espnu radio. 

There’s some solid national pods out there, although none of them are going to give you the compelling deep dive that, for instance, Zach Lowe gives for the NBA; Splitzone Duo, Cover 3, Solid Verbal, Late Kick, Unnecessary Roughness, etc. They should all be better than the Childress types

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Since 2006:

Teams see YOY increase of 5+ wins:   126 times,  7.9 per season.   

Teams see YOY increase of 5+ wins, reach 10+ total wins:  66 times, 4.1 per season

Why not us, motherfuckers?

Notes:

• Ignoring the 6 consecutive losses because I don't have the data
  • Filtered by min of 5+ losses in previous season (controls for most COVID weirdness) 
Edited by 40acredropout
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I don’t think learning to win means much at all. I’ve seen teams that were great one year with most of the guys returning and sucking the next. I’ve also seen teams that sucked one year and were great the next. Most of these guys were from winning programs in high school so it’s not like they forgot how to win.