LBGTQ

Mo Horn

Not political, but idgaf. Cormac includes a transgender character in “Passenger,” and I wanted to transcribe the paragraph that describes the way her dinner with the protagonist ends:

“He watched her until she was lost among the tourists. Men and women alike turning to look after her. He thought that God’s goodness appeared in strange places. Dont close your eyes.”

Edited by Willfully Horn
Tense
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

This is the goal, make public education as shitty and miserable as possible so that school choice looks increasingly attractive.

Correct. The current “conservative” mission is nothing less than completely destroying and eliminating public education in this country. They’re pretty open about it.
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Correct. The current “conservative” mission is nothing less than completely destroying and eliminating public education in this country. They’re pretty open about it.

They want to starve the beast and make public services as shitty as possible so that they have an easier argument for corporate overlords to come rule over their private interests

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

As a white man, I've passed through life with little friction. Thought I was in tune with the non white male world until Me Too and BLM  slapped me on the head. I try to see as best I can. I want to be woke, but doubt I'll ever get all the way there just because.

Woke was a passing word in our society. A moment of description that was apt. Trying to wake up and see. Now the white right condemns the notion with the same scorn they used for social justice warriors.  The very notion of tolerance is hateful to them. 

We're just talking about tolerance of persons in the natural world following their natures with no intent to harm anyone else. And that's evil because it threatens our sacred children for whom we are also burning up the world without giving a second thought. 

It's bullying and terrorism. It's getting worse. I watch it from the white man section of the stands and root against it, but I am at a loss as to what action to take. Voting? In Texas? Yea, that's a big help.

Somebody direct me to some sort action I can take other than posting on the internet. I'd like to do something even if it's just donating a pittance somewhere.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

@RomaVicta I’ll post some stuff for you in the next few days.  Thank you. 

we desperately need this to stop. Too many humans are wilting and the strongest are wearing out too. The victory will be won by men like you, not women like us. Not for any other reason than sheer numbers. We are so far outnumbered our victory can only be assured by the compassion and resolve shown by our allies. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, troph said:

That’s pretty cool. I don’t know what “look after her” means but the end of that passage is great. 

I took it to mean the woman was so eye catching, so stereotypically beautiful, that folks were reluctant to stop looking her way. 

The mentioned dinner was classic Cormac. I will describe it, generally, for someone who has yet to read the book, but in a spoiler.

Spoiler

During their meal, the woman shares her personal story. The conversation was both affirming, and heartbreaking. Frankly, as I read that part, I wondered what troph’s reaction to it would be. It certainly affected me.  

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I took it to mean the woman was so eye catching, so stereotypically beautiful, that folks were reluctant to stop looking her way. 

The mentioned dinner was classic Cormac. I will describe it, generally, for someone who has yet to read the book, but in a spoiler.

Hide contents

During their meal, the woman shares her personal story. The conversation was both affirming, and heartbreaking. Frankly, as I read that part, I wondered what troph’s reaction to it would be. It certainly affected me.  

I need to go read that. Beauty is fleeting for sure but at 40-41 the age clock turned back 10 years when my body’s thirst for estrogen was satisfied and men looked and flirted and commented on semi regular occassion. Sometimes it was creepy, most of the time it was flattering, and I couldn’t help but wonder if they only knew. It’s a shame it’s culturally forbidden for straight men to be attracted to trans women, because the reality is based on simple google search statistics there are a lot of men who are closeted about their attractions. It all goes into the same bucket - just unrelenting hostility from all sides for us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, troph said:

I need to go read that. Beauty is fleeting for sure but at 40-41 the age clock turned back 10 years when my body’s thirst for estrogen was satisfied and men looked and flirted and commented on semi regular occassion. Sometimes it was creepy, most of the time it was flattering, and I couldn’t help but wonder if they only knew. It’s a shame it’s culturally forbidden for straight men to be attracted to trans women, because the reality is based on simple google search statistics there are a lot of men who are closeted about their attractions. It all goes into the same bucket - just unrelenting hostility from all sides for us. 

Beauty is a theme of Passenger. In a completely different context, Granellen says that beauty makes promises that beauty can’t deliver. 

My wife wept when I read her your earlier posts from today, and she said that your (speaking of the trans community in general) inner light is God’s beauty. And that is a promise that delivers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

They want to starve the beast and make public services as shitty as possible so that they have an easier argument for corporate overlords to come rule over their private interests

Well this and they’ve realized that educated voters don’t really vote for conservatives. They are explicitly trying to make America less educated so they can win. It’s only about control for them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Beauty is a theme of Passenger. In a completely different context, Granellen says that beauty makes promises that beauty can’t deliver. 

My wife wept when I read her your earlier posts from today, and she said that your (speaking of the trans community in general) inner light is God’s beauty. And that is a promise that delivers.

ugh now I’m crying. 

Eternal beauty is not fleeting - it may be the end all, be all. That view is for another thread. But human  beauty as defined by the majority is fleeting that’s all I was saying.

I read the passages and listened to a guy talk about it - very interesting. Here’s the YouTube talk.

I identify with a lot of what she says. I wish I had her watch too. The intersection of trans identity self acceptance and alcohol is where I was forced to come out. Her comments about when you tell people they go distant it true, but for me it’s more “oh now it makes sense” whether it’s height or interests or knowledge, all of these things that should not be gendered are and all of a sudden my tomboy nature is because I used to be a dude. Funny you didn’t think that until I told you and now you fixate on my past in a way that invalidates my current existence? And you don’t even see it. Worse you tell and you get excluded or discriminated against. I won’t even tell progressive allies anymore simply because it always changes things. My best guy friend is a vocal trans ally. He thinks I’m just a gold star lezzie. Life is much easier with him thinking that. The pain of “oh that makes sense now” is too much. 

on the part about being part of the feminine that precedes being human, the YouTube fella is right that can come off as a bit something something, but understanding the dichotomy of masculine and feminine as a natural law (and I have lots to say about that I believe it) helps to understand what she means. For her she longs to be feminine in a way that is reflected in her body - we all do - she explains her jiggling titties - oh that was very affirming when that happened (no implants here mind you), but more importantly being feminine in a way that supersedes her body. For me I long to be free from gender all together. I wish there was no gender, I wish the human desire and need to label and classify  did not exist. Messy bodies are just part of the human existence and we just are. It’s not that I’m not a woman it’s that I’d rather my stated gender be “me” I am who I am. But we live in a world of boxes and classifications so I manage and don’t fit. We often long to be outside the gender construct free from its constraints not because we are not women but because those constructs are weaponized to remind us we don’t belong. 

it’s a good passage, especially how it ends. Don’t close your eyes (or your mind), you may miss the beautiful. 

We are beautiful / trans is beautiful. Gay is beautiful. And the resilient life that is lived in the midst of all the pain and suffering is beautiful. That’s not just trans that’s human. And once again back to where we started. We are all human and we all deserve a seat at the table. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, troph said:

ugh now I’m crying. 

Eternal beauty is not fleeting - it may be the end all, be all. That view is for another thread. But human  beauty as defined by the majority is fleeting that’s all I was saying.

I read the passages and listened to a guy talk about it - very interesting. Here’s the YouTube talk.

I identify with a lot of what she says. I wish I had her watch too. The intersection of trans identity self acceptance and alcohol is where I was forced to come out. Her comments about when you tell people they go distant it true, but for me it’s more “oh now it makes sense” whether it’s height or interests or knowledge, all of these things that should not be gendered are and all of a sudden my tomboy nature is because I used to be a dude. Funny you didn’t think that until I told you and now you fixate on my past in a way that invalidates my current existence? And you don’t even see it. Worse you tell and you get excluded or discriminated against. I won’t even tell progressive allies anymore simply because it always changes things. My best guy friend is a vocal trans ally. He thinks I’m just a gold star lezzie. Life is much easier with him thinking that. The pain of “oh that makes sense now” is too much. 

on the part about being part of the feminine that precedes being human, the YouTube fella is right that can come off as a bit something something, but understanding the dichotomy of masculine and feminine as a natural law (and I have lots to say about that I believe it) helps to understand what she means. For her she longs to be feminine in a way that is reflected in her body - we all do - she explains her jiggling titties - oh that was very affirming when that happened (no implants here mind you), but more importantly being feminine in a way that supersedes her body. For me I long to be free from gender all together. I wish there was no gender, I wish the human desire and need to label and classify  did not exist. Messy bodies are just part of the human existence and we just are. It’s not that I’m not a woman it’s that I’d rather my stated gender be “me” I am who I am. But we live in a world of boxes and classifications so I manage and don’t fit. We often long to be outside the gender construct free from its constraints not because we are not women but because those constructs are weaponized to remind us we don’t belong. 

it’s a good passage, especially how it ends. Don’t close your eyes (or your mind), you may miss the beautiful. 

We are beautiful / trans is beautiful. Gay is beautiful. And the resilient life that is lived in the midst of all the pain and suffering is beautiful. That’s not just trans that’s human. And once again back to where we started. We are all human and we all deserve a seat at the table. 

Thanks tor sharing this. The character’s prayers to be accepted into the feminine soul, that was what was stretching my brain. I never considered the soul to be either/or with respect to gender. Food for thought.

She also faced the question of what folks wanted from her. Perhaps we all, constantly, find ourselves on both sides of that query. My default answer is: community. To belong. To not be outside..

Was it Dylan who said, I’ll let you be in my dreams/world if I can be in yours?

4 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Thanks tor sharing this. The character’s prayers to be accepted into the feminine soul, that was what was stretching my brain. I never considered the soul to be either/or with respect to gender. Food for thought.

She also faced the question of what folks wanted from her. Perhaps we all, constantly, find ourselves on both sides of that query. My default answer is: community. To belong. To not be outside..

Was it Dylan who said, I’ll let you be in my dreams/world if I can be in yours?

What do I want? I want to belong and I want to mean something.

what do my wife and kids want from me? Belonging, love, safety, attention. 

What does the world want from me? I’m afraid to know.

is there gender outside the body? No there isn’t even gender outside the human mind. The body just is.  

is there evidence of a masculine and feminine beyond male/female sex characteristics? I’m not sure. She seems to think so or hope so, I actually hope the opposite.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, troph said:

That’s pretty cool. I don’t know what “look after her” means but the end of that passage is great

image.jpeg.6f6db30e540210d005d544b7560c55b8.jpeg

and I am so sorry that you’re having to go through this. I truly believe that it is getting better. I know you’re in the middle of it and you are high profile, so I can’t imagine the increased stress that puts on you. I will share a couple of anecdotes about why I think it’s getting better. There is a surgeon a little older than us, who transitioned about 10 years ago. Her peers and her patients accepted her to a far greater extent than she expected. Of course, she had to put up with a lot of bullshit just like you do. She recently moved to of all places Idaho, and from talking to a mutual friend, has been doing very well, socially, and professionally.

Also, as I think I have mentioned to you, my daughter is a camp counselor at the camp she has attended since before kindergarten. This camp is all girls, and over the years since has been a counselor in training and then counselor she has had several campers from late elementary school age through jr high come out to her either about sexual orientation or gender identity. She helps them come out to the other campers who-guess what- don’t care AT ALL.

For many of these children, camp is the only safe space to be themselves they have for a week to 10 days once a year, because at home their parents refuse to accept who they are.

This year, the owner of the camp, who is very old, informed the counselors that going forward, they would refer to and treat all campers as girls and only use feminine pronouns. My daughter and most of the other counselors were furious and at first were going to quit en mass. This would have forced the camp to close, because they weren’t going to have enough time to get replacement counselors.

my daughter and the other counselors eventually decided that it would be too harmful to the campers, especially the LGBTQ campers, if the camp were to close, and since the owner never actually comes to the camp anymore, they all decided to say fuck it, and just keep doing what they have always done. She has had another camper come out this session to her as non-binary. Caring for these children and making them feel comfortable and special is her favorite part of camp. Please do not despair. 

I truly believe the world is getting better, but the people who see that happening are getting uglier. They are going the way of the dinosaur. They won’t go quietly but they will go 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

image.jpeg.6f6db30e540210d005d544b7560c55b8.jpeg

and I am so sorry that you’re having to go through this. I truly believe that it is getting better. I know you’re in the middle of it and you are high profile, so I can’t imagine the increased stress that puts on you. I will share a couple of anecdotes about why I think it’s getting better. There is a surgeon a little older than us, who transitioned about 10 years ago. Her peers and her patients accepted her to a far greater extent than she expected. Of course, she had to put up with a lot of bullshit just like you do. She recently moved to of all places Idaho, and from talking to a mutual friend, has been doing very well, socially, and professionally.
Also, as I think I have mentioned to you, my daughter is a camp counselor at the camp she has attended since before kindergarten. This camp is all girls, and over the years since has been a counselor in training and then counselor she has had several campers from late elementary school age through jr high come out to her either about sexual orientation or gender identity. She helps them come out to the other campers who-guess what- don’t care AT ALL.
For many of these children, camp is the only safe space to be themselves they have for a week to 10 days once a year, because at home their parents refuse to accept who they are.
This year, the owner of the camp, who is very old, informed the counselors that going forward, they would refer to and treat all campers as girls and only use feminine pronouns. My daughter and most of the other counselors were furious and at first were going to quit en mass. This would have forced the camp to close, because they weren’t going to have enough time to get replacement counselors.

my daughter and the other counselors eventually decided that it would be too harmful to the campers, especially the LGBTQ campers, if the camp were to close, and since the owner never actually comes to the camp anymore, they all decided to say fuck it, and just keep doing what they have always done. She has had another camper come out this session to her as non-binary. Caring for these children and making them feel comfortable and special is her favorite part of camp. Please do not despair. 

I truly believe the world is getting better, but the people who see that happening are getting uglier. They are going the way of the dinosaur. They won’t go quietly but they will go 

Your last paragraph is true.
But dear lord, the pain and suffering they’re causing and will cause before they go down. It makes me hate them so, so, so much.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Willfully Horn said:

Good job, pops.

In many ways she teaches me more than I do her

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Your last paragraph is true.
But dear lord, the pain and suffering they’re causing and will cause before they go down. It makes me hate them so, so, so much.

It’s hard not to. I try my best

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

Well this and they’ve realized that educated voters don’t really vote for conservatives. They are explicitly trying to make America less educated so they can win. It’s only about control for them. 

It really does kinda boil down to this. Power is the game.

• Hook 'Em 1

in lighter news I had a client buy me a track day at Texas motor speedway. Pretty sure many there are not my people or allies. They were gracious and kind though obsessed with my height. The best part is I got to drive the Target car.  Too bad it didn’t have pride colors draped across it. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

155 mph and hit the governor 4-5 times.  We had live racing action to passed three cars I have one of them on video.  Looking loss of everything in the eye makes it easy to run at life hard.   Fuck Paxton, Abbott, trump, desantis and Patrick in their goat ass.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 4:35 PM, Pancho said:

The dumbing down of education has been across the board. It’s not one sided.