Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

Card stinks, it's been established.  Get over it.

I ain't a football expert, just have suffered thru UT football since Akers.  Seemed to me that they rolled into Stillwater with a very different set of plays than all the other games before.  Running game was ok (at best), but Quinn and the receivers were on different wavelengths the whole game.  It wasn't just one WR, but all of them.  It's like they were given a different set of instructions than Quinn.  Quinn himself also looked like dogshit.  I was getting flashbacks of Squints, overthrowing everyone on the field.  From the viewpoint of my couch and inebriated state, he doesn't seem that passionate out there on the field.  At some point his give-a-shitter is going to need to activate for him to make a difference at the 40 acres.  Whatever, we have 2 weeks to continue toward our 7-5 season goal....ugh.

59 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

<picture of Vince Young on his knees after scoring 0 pts vs Oklahoma in 2004>

Quinn is essentially a true freshman playing his 4th game and his first true road game 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap/_/gameId/233190251

Do you see the difference in coaching decisions?

14 minutes ago, ousuxndallas said:
1 hour ago, Eastwood said:
The problem? His personal success off the field had nothing to do with his success on the field. He was the anointed savior before he even threw a pass in an actual college game. 

When you shower some guys with all that right out of the gate, then they lose all their drive. Some are just driven.  Bijan is just driven. He has nothing left to gain off the field but he goes out there and plays like the best player in the nation. 

I haven’t seen any drive out of Quinn. All I’ve seen is a dude with raw talent that just shows up. He’s Baker Mayfield without the chip on his shoulder. Someone needs to piss in Quinn’s cheerios just to see if he gives a shit. 

Agree. Lack of character too. Dude quit on his high school senior class to make sure he didn't risk injury. Worse than Randall "Pink" Floyd, at least Pink decided to play.

he was playing at Ohio State in what should have been his senior year. That’s the opposite of quitting on his team. 

2 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Why do you "hate" Card? Because he busts his ass, plays through a shitload of injuries and maximizes the decent talent he has?

If we're hating our players because of this then we're really fucked as a fan base. 

I’m in the same boat as you. Not a bad boat to be in. Sorry to lump you in my boat I can swim.  That’s probably my largest complaint against our fan base. If a kid tries his heart out why hate him? It’s easier for me to hate on Ewers because honestly he’s supposed to be SEC good and had the swag and money and all that. So I’m less likely to be hard on a player like Card that is doing all he can than a player like Ewers who can honestly (if rumors are true) work a little harder than he has. Just my two cents. 

10 minutes ago, Atticus said:

This was the worst game he's had as far as pocket presence and poise. We should have seen more Rojo to kick the OL in the ass. Banks probably played his worst game as a Horn too. Horrible shit overall, and Sark should have seen it and slowed the game down and work to establish the run in any way possible.

204 yards on 31 carries for 6.58 a carry. The run had been established…and was extinguished the second it didn’t work as planned. 

I’d venture Sark gets in his own way with his “beautiful schemes”. A simple counter with your NFL running back for 11 yards simply won’t do. Check out this crazy ass route concept I just came up with. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Constant said:

204 yards on 31 carries for 6.58 a carry. The run had been established…and was extinguished the second it didn’t work as planned. 

I’d venture Sark gets in his own way with his “beautiful schemes”. A simple counter with your NFL running back for 11 yards simply won’t do. Check out this crazy ass route concept I just came up with. 

In the second half, after seeing QE's struggles throwing the ball, there is no excuse for not running the ball even with the failures we had doing it at times.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

The team was already playing like shit and Card can at least manage a game, which was all that was needed to win by double digits today.

We lost because we had no offense.  Managing the game probably wouldn't have done it.  We needed to score.

Also, one notable thing.  The defense, even, seemed to play better with Ewers than with Card.  The defense wasn't great, but they came up with a good number of stops, even when the offense was turning them over every 3 minutes.  WIth Card in, it could have been worse.

Edited by TwiceHorn

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

We lost because we had no offense.  Managing the game probably wouldn't have done it.  We needed to score.

Also, one notable thing.  The defense, even, seemed to play better with Ewers than with Card.  The defense wasn't great, but they came up with a good number of stops, even when the offense was turning them over every 3 minutes.  WIth Card in, it could have been worse.

Card completes >50% of passes. Ewers did not. I would think completing more passes would lead to more scores, but I’m no expert. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Modessit said:

He was doing a bunch of floater lobs. Pretty much every one was an incompletion or pick. The few ropes he threw were usually caught - except for that last one off of Sanders' hands.

Quite a few times he was throwing to a spot and his receivers did not even try to go to that spot. Makes you wonder if he was throwing to the wrong spot or if the receivers were fucking up. Several of those "overthrows" were catchable balls if the receiver actually makes an effort to go get it.

Sure, maybe you draw that up as an inside pass but if the defense is defending it then you have to know to change it to an outside pass. Ewers seemed to recognize that but Worthy and some others stupidly didn't recognize the defensive coverage and stuck with what they expected instead of adjusting.

We see it all the time in the NFL - play is called, QB and WR see a LB or S shift and recognize the need to run a different route, QB throws before the break expecting the WR to have the same read and it's a completion.

Ewers was off, yes, but I think some of those "bad throws" were actually the right throw but the receiver didn't make the same read.

Then why did he stick to throwing to Worthy so much who was not on the same page as him, throwing where the defense dictates? If he is too boneheaded, throw to a guy with fly paper hands and some football smarts. 

• Hook 'Em 2

it's as if his targeting software is broken

lasers over the middle and "short passes as runs" were mostly fine

it was his deep balls that looked like squints' wounded ducks at the rose bowl

everything that could go wrong did......

balls sailing in the wind

receivers not on the same page

then sark quitting the multi-set misdirection window-dressing stuff which works

and in the first half it felt like the call signaling / signs / comms were mis-firing or not aligned

pile on drive-killing penalties on offense and drive-extending penalties on defense and it seemed as if every other play was a negative play for us

and yet we could have overcome all of it if we had bama/0u mullet

I wouldn't bet my life on it but the weird glove thing and those awful throws make me think something is wrong injury wise. 

That said. Here is the other thing. The guy has literally never faced that kind of poor performance adversity ever. Like ever. Yea last week wasn't great but it wasn’t god awful like today was. 

The last game he lost as a starting QB was against Westlake in the 2020 state title game and it wasn't because of the 351 yards and 3 TDs he dropped on em (SLC defense got its ass whipped)

Year before that lost to Duncanville (only loss of season) putting up 35 points  

I don’t think he knows how to mentally handle being shitty  

• Hook 'Em 2

It was pretty uncanny how the entire team, offense and defense, seemed to play better when he started and played.  I was reading some stuff on him from high school, and, as seemingly demonstrated here, he's never been a fiery leader, but more of a lead-by-example guy.

You'd think, though, if the offense was turning over as quickly as it did today, Cardesque, there would have been a more Cardesque collapse than there was, but the D got a goodly number of second-half stops.

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

He re-injured his shoulder and it made him over throw every pass?  That doesn’t really jive.  

Think about your left clavicle hurting like hell and then trying to drive a football with your right hand. Ewers throws at all speeds, but he was throwing a lot of floaters and seemed to lack zip on the ball. His wheel to Bijan and the final interception off of JTS had some heat, but it didn’t look right all afternoon. Perhaps why he often back footed a lot of throws at the first sign of pressure. 

He hit Billingsley on that cross late, and it looked like he labored to do it. 

It’s pure conjecture, but I’m curious if he aggravated his injury from earlier in the season  

47 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Sarkisian was the issue today. and that's entirely correct. 

If you're allowing an abysmal QB to continue playing then you're an abysmal coach. That probably qualifies as being the issue.

It seems like people are set in their camps here but this is absolutely correct. Sark is not the OC (or just the OC) he is the HC and despite all the ref fuckery (duly noted it’s egregious) the goal is to also win while coaching your QB. Ewers disappeared during the second half and didn’t reappear and the only shots I saw in the sideline were sark reading his playbook like it was a treasure map. He’s the HC not the OC so act like it damnit! 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I wouldn't bet my life on it but the weird glove thing and those awful throws make me think something is wrong injury wise. 

That said. Here is the other thing. The guy has literally never faced that kind of poor performance adversity ever. Like ever. Yea last week wasn't great but it wasn’t god awful like today was. 

The last game he lost as a starting QB was against Westlake in the 2020 state title game and it wasn't because of the 351 yards and 3 TDs he dropped on em (SLC defense got its ass whipped)

Year before that lost to Duncanville (only loss of season) putting up 35 points  

I don’t think he knows how to mentally handle being shitty  

well... he better fucking learn.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

When the QB is sucking, the offense will suck. Your assertion about the D is just dogshit. I'd lay a bet the D would have been happy to see Card come in after three consecutive failed drives. At least try something different.

• Hook 'Em 1

Week 4: if we had Ewers, we beat tech with ease. Let’s start a thread about starting Murphy because the Card is that bad. 

Week 8: it’s completely obvious we win this game with Card. What is Sark doing? 

(tbh I’m not against the idea of playing card this game but chalking it up to an automatic win is fucking stupid.) 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

He was very clearly injured. Every throw was a fucking wobbly duck that I held my breath on. And amazingly, our dipshit coaches didnt come to the same realization and lean into the running game. I have dealt with a decade of this dumbass bullshit now and I am fed up. Maybe next time we shouldnt fire our fucking coach who was one game from the big 12 title and never missed a bowl game for a fucking overhyped mid major Big East coach. 

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Wait cause some of y’all anointed him as savior before he ever threw a down and he isn’t living up to YOUR hype then it’s a character flaw FOR HIM?

Y’all are a bunch of fucking morons.

This.  He’s an inexperienced freshman and he’s going to have a few games where he plays like an inexperienced freshman. No need to over think it, he’s just not as good as everyone expects because he was hyped to an irrational level.  You motherfuckers are going to do the same thing to Arch too.  

• Hook 'Em 6

11 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

source?

My fucking eyes. He threw wobbly duck bullshit the whole game. If that was a legit performance with zero injury, he should be benched and portaled. 

Just now, 6th Street said:

He keeps playing like this and Arch is going to come in and win the starting job next fall.

Bingo

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

He keeps playing like this and Arch is going to come in and win the starting job next fall.

He keeps playing like this and the wheels fall completely off the season, Sark is on the hot seat going into year 3 and Arch bounces.

But hey, no pressure kid.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet