Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

1 hour ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I don’t think you fully understand what you are watching. Worthy had to make a tougher catch but in both instances there was enough green grass for Ewers to make easier passes for his WRs to catch instead of the tough over the shoulder grabs. There is more to throwing a good deep ball besides leading the receiver. Again a prime example is Milroe throwing to the open space on the Burton deep ball instead of throwing it on a line and Burton having to turn up his route and make and over the shoulder grab. 

I don’t think you fully understand what you’re reading. The general consensus isn’t that the throws were perfect but that they were at least adequate and certainly improvements. 

Worthy’s catch wasn’t easy, all the more so in the context of how much grief he’s gotten here for not tracking the ball. He Willie Mayesed the hell out of that one. It was bad ass. The throw wasn’t perfect. There’s room for improvement. But there has been improvement. That’s pretty much the extent of the posts here. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

One thing that's going to be required in order for us to be "back" is having a great quarterback AND great receivers. That means sometimes the QB will throw a perfect ball and make it easy on the receivers, and sometimes the WR will make an insane catch and make it easy for the QB. It's a good thing that we have both. Not a bad thing. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Crazy take bc they were all definitely leading the wr. The one to ad was a tough catch and ad made a heck of a play showing incredible body control and balance. The two to worthy were almost perfect

You can say that again

Crazy take bc they were all definitely leading the wr. The one to ad was a tough catch and ad made a heck of a play showing incredible body control and balance. The two to worthy were almost perfect

You can say that again
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Oh geez if we're going to do this could you not start by being completely wrong? The TD to Mitchell was a much better throw than the one to Worthy. Ewers is not responsible for Mitchell stumbling. And any of you dummies whose panties were all atwist when I pointed out during the game that the first TD was a much better catch than throw should listen to Joey Galloway's correct analysis of that play. 

Youre the one that said Shedur sanders had no arm talent after the first game right? And we’re conveniently quiet after he was throwing frozen ropes all over neb? Yeah you’re not someone I’d really trust with QB analysis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think football fans in general vastly overestimate a quarterbacks ability to put a ball to an exact spot.  More often than not, it was the receivers adjustments that made it look like the ball arrived in the exact spot it needed to be.  A subtle slant to the left or right, a little acceleration or deceleration to make the timing work.

Worthy was just crossing the 30 yard line when Ewers let go of that ball.  A few yards left or right and Worthy would’ve been there and made it look just as perfect. 

Ever watch those quarterback competitions in the off-season, where they’re trying to hit stationary and moving targets? Even the historically great quarterbacks end up looking like Jim Bob at the state fair midway when there isn’t a live human to make adjustments on the other end. 

Edited by Your Mom
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I don’t think you fully understand what you’re reading. The general consensus isn’t that the throws were perfect but that they were at least adequate and certainly improvements. 

Worthy’s catch wasn’t easy, all the more so in the context of how much grief he’s gotten here for not tracking the ball. He Willie Mayesed the hell out of that one. It was bad ass. The throw wasn’t perfect. There’s room for improvement. But there has been improvement. That’s pretty much the extent of the posts here. 

Maybe you don’t fully understand what you are reading. I stated in my initial post on the subject the throws were an improvement and then someone replied and said at least one of them was a perfect throw.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Oh geez if we're going to do this could you not start by being completely wrong? The TD to Mitchell was a much better throw than the one to Worthy. Ewers is not responsible for Mitchell stumbling. And any of you dummies whose panties were all atwist when I pointed out during the game that the first TD was a much better catch than throw should listen to Joey Galloway's correct analysis of that play. 

You are right, but link the analysis.

4 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Maybe you don’t fully understand what you are reading. I stated in my initial post on the subject the throws were an improvement and then someone replied and said at least one of them was a perfect throw.

“General consensus.” People who say it was perfect or brutally bad are exaggerating. 

At least one throw to Worthy, that he dropped, was perfect. It was Ingraham/LSUesque but at least this game worked out better. 

We got a bunch of NFL scouts up in here. But seriously, it’s awesome to have a Monday where we aren’t critiquing a loss. As far as the criticisms about Quinn from last year—a lot of them were fair. I am eating crow and happy to do so. By his own words from the article in the Athletic he made changes in the off-season. Some of us thought he wasn’t taking it as seriously as he should. he admitted as much in that quote I posted a few pages back.

Hell, I get his age and talent level and all that. It’s a growth process and he is maturing. We saw that maturity and the work he’s been putting into the role on the field Saturday night. But we aren’t Aggies. Beating Bama doesn’t mean our season ended last night. We need to make it to the Big 12 championship and hoist that trophy. Beatin Bama at their house is beyond awesome. It still doesn’t feel real but we have a lot more work to do.

We’ve got a loaded conference schedule and we need to ace it. Beating Bama just shows we are more than capable of winning our farewell Big 12 tour. We aren’t Aggie. the season isn’t a success just because we beat them. Beating Bama is hopefully the start of something great.

There were people way more critical of Quinn than myself and a lot of us want to be proven wrong. That he can, game over game, continue to improve and continue to put in the work on his fundamentals to make those wins possible. We are too loaded of a roster to expect anything less than a Big12 championship. And quite honestly after pockets of fool’s gold since 2010 where things looked bright and we had turned the corner only to find out we had not. That we were mediocre and underachieving, we all have the right to be somewhat skeptical and reserved. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 4

On 9/10/2023 at 9:53 AM, Nicole44 said:

Per the story from the Athletic back in August (QE’s own words):

“In an offseason where he focused on maturing to take the next step at QB,cutting his hair was merely part of the transformation. The Texas quarterback also went from 218 to 200 pounds during the offseason, focusing on improving his eating habits and cutting fast food, per The Athletic.

“I probably haven’t been this light since my sophomore year of high school,” he said. “I lost some bad weight and gained some good weight back. I really focused on my eating habits; getting in the playbook more; I want to be comfortable, on and off the field, if that makes sense, physically and mentally.”

I’d rather just roll with his own words and by his admission he needed to mature and did so physically and mentally. You could certainly see it on the field last night. The work he has put into it. I’m happy to continue eating crow and can only speak for myself but that was my biggest knock on him last year—not taking it as seriously (playbook, prep work, diet etc…) he took all those things seriously in the off-season and I am sure that having Arch Manning waiting in the wings was just but one of many motivating factors for him. I’m happy for him to have that success. He earned it last night. He’s worked hard for it and those changes he knew he needed to make are showing and will continue to show as he continues to grow and mature. Good for him! Hook’em!

I also threw in a picture of my dad’s 1963 championship glasses paired with a 1969 decanter. He purchased them when they came out in those years.  We decided to display them MORE prominently this year on my mom’s fancy shelf. Usually it’s for her fancy knickknacks and other shit. Hoping it leads to one more MNC! 

IMG_7175.jpeg

What bourbon is in that decanter?  We found Stitzel-Weller in my grandfather's.  He didn't open it when he was alive so we helped ourselves lol.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Youre the one that said Shedur sanders had no arm talent after the first game right? And we’re conveniently quiet after he was throwing frozen ropes all over neb? Yeah you’re not someone I’d really trust with QB analysis.

Not sure what that has to do with his 100% accurate assessment of the deep ball to worthy.

35 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

What bourbon is in that decanter?  We found Stitzel-Weller in my grandfather's.  He didn't open it when he was alive so we helped ourselves lol.

I’m not sure. My dad passed away in 2005 between the Ohio State and OU game during our MNC run. I thought I remember him telling me it was bourbon. But it may not have been.

The TDs to Worthy & Mitchell were great catches no doubt, but they required great throws as well. The first deep shot to Worthy was a bad throw & certainly gave me a bad feeling, but the TD was money. Worthy was flattening the route too much & it was going to get him into the sideline way too early, Quinn threw it with plenty of air so Worthy had the time to adjust his route & still be able to catch it over his shoulder instead of his head. That was an absolutely excellent throw & while it could have been more towards the numbers Worthy's route made it a more difficult catch than it had to be. The bubble screens were on time and in front of the receiver to allow them to run up field as they were catching the ball every time except maybe once. One high slant to Worthy (that he still could have caught), the first deep shot to Worthy, & one in the dirt (I think it was to AD) were the only uncatchable balls. The deep shots were all excellent (other than the first one as previously mentioned) & both fades (one to AD & one to Worthy in the endzone) were damn near pinpoint accurate & displayed why we shouldn't be throwing those types of passes to Worthy. 

Ewers absolutely rose to the moment & the only question he needs to answer now is if that was the exception or the new norm.

7 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I have listened to this a dozen times and cannot understand what he's saying. Something about starting a lot of games and finishing? Help a brother out. 

“We still got a lot of games to win.” Nods head. “We’re still gonna roll though.” Nods head. 

That nod and look Quinn gave twice was something I’ve never seen from him before. I like the confidence. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/10/2023 at 9:53 AM, Nicole44 said:

Per the story from the Athletic back in August (QE’s own words):

“In an offseason where he focused on maturing to take the next step at QB,cutting his hair was merely part of the transformation. The Texas quarterback also went from 218 to 200 pounds during the offseason, focusing on improving his eating habits and cutting fast food, per The Athletic.

“I probably haven’t been this light since my sophomore year of high school,” he said. “I lost some bad weight and gained some good weight back. I really focused on my eating habits; getting in the playbook more; I want to be comfortable, on and off the field, if that makes sense, physically and mentally.”

I’d rather just roll with his own words and by his admission he needed to mature and did so physically and mentally. You could certainly see it on the field last night. The work he has put into it. I’m happy to continue eating crow and can only speak for myself but that was my biggest knock on him last year—not taking it as seriously (playbook, prep work, diet etc…) he took all those things seriously in the off-season and I am sure that having Arch Manning waiting in the wings was just but one of many motivating factors for him. I’m happy for him to have that success. He earned it last night. He’s worked hard for it and those changes he knew he needed to make are showing and will continue to show as he continues to grow and mature. Good for him! Hook’em!

I also threw in a picture of my dad’s 1963 championship glasses paired with a 1969 decanter. He purchased them when they came out in those years.  We decided to display them MORE prominently this year on my mom’s fancy shelf. Usually it’s for her fancy knickknacks and other shit. Hoping it leads to one more MNC! 

IMG_7175.jpeg

I recognize the decanter style, as my Dad's 30-straight-victories mug has similar-styled design.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ewers has a great throwing motion. Tossing some tight fucking spirals. The spirals reminds me of Aikman. I'm also reminded that Staubach couldn't throw a spiral if his life depended on it - but he got the ball there. Takes a great QB to have a great team. Looking like a very cool season of football coming up.

38 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm sorry, what exactly was wrong with the moon shot for the TD?  The 'bama defender had zero chance on the ball, and X (obviously) made the catch.  Seems kinda perfect to me, but I'm no (football) analyst like all of you folks.

If he throws to the corner of the end zone, which is where Worthy's route was originally taking him, it is an extremely easy catch for a wide open Worthy. He would have been untouched. As is, Quinn did good getting enough air on it for Worthy to adjust, but he also dragged Worthy back to the middle of the field, giving the db a little bit of an angle to dive and attempt to disrupt Worthy's now more difficult catch. It wasn't a terrible throw, and was infinitely better than pretty much everything we saw last season outside of the Bama game. I much prefer what Quinn did to him trying to throw to the corner but putting the ball out too far like we saw many times last year. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Just came back to this thread for the first time since yesterday afternoon.  Jeez, I really seem to have started something and you guys let BO&W's adolescent personality and helobious's stupidity take this to an 11.

@Huckleberry is correct...it was a much better catch than it was a throw. @Dahobbs was correct...the fact that it ended in a td means it can't really be my hyperbolic "brutally bad."

This started with me apparently...someone who has really been unwilling to trust or believe in Quinn (and am admittedly still skeptical about consistency) as anything but Jeff George 2.0, trying to compliment him on a phenomenal overall game in which he balled his ass off and played a great game both mentally and in execution about 90% of the game...something we haven't really seen with him before.  If you want to see why I am totally right and a football super genius and the rest of you are shit-for-brains nincompoops who know nothing, then read the spoiler. (i'm being facetious FFS)

Spoiler

I simply made the simple observation that I found it ironic that Quinn threw an absolutely beautiful fucking ball on 3rd down after the first turnover at the goal line that Worthy dropped while he threw what I considered to be a pretty poor pass that required Worthy to make a phenomenal catch and he pulled it in instead of fucking it like the goal line pass.  That goal line pass looks simple but it is hard to make it that perfect when playing top tier dbs with speed.  Quinn threw a perfect ball and Worthy fucked it.  Then Quinn moon balled a bomb 20 yards off the ideal landing spot that required Worthy to completely change direction that actually allowed the DB to catch up to the play and tackle him as he caught it...but he caught it unlike the third down goal line play.  If you watch the replay from behind the end zone, you can see how severe the route break-off was.  Worthy was a mile in front of his defender going to the corner.  If Quinn makes a pass like Milroe did to Burton on their TD there, the DB is entirely irrelevant and it is easy as hell for Worthy as long as he doesn't have one of his fucks it moments.  It being offline actually required not only a great catch but having to maintain the catch with the DB up his back.  Thrown to the right spot, the bammer DB looks like Jerrin on their TD (completely toasted out of the play) instead of tacking Xavier as he goes to ground.

That's it.  Jesus fucking christ calm the fuck down.  It worked out great.  We are all happy.  Yay horns, fuck alabama.  fuck saban, fuck the sec, fuck the big 12, fuck whatever you want to fuck.  Great job, Quinn, great job, Xavier.  It was still a poor pass IMO given the lack of pressure and given Worthy's separation and route and if Xavier doesn't do a great job immediately tracking it (something we know he is capable of not doing) and doesn't break off the route immediately and finishes the route, we all groan and say "once again, shitty deep balls."  Luckily we don't have to.

I just can't help myself on one thing...a lot of you seem to be saying that the ultimate disposition is inherently indicative of the quality of execution (i.e., he caught it and we scored, how was it not great?) and that is really silly.  I could extend the same thinking to say that the center-qb exchange on the worst qb sneak i have ever fucking seen in my life was "perfect" because we converted it for a first down...just ignore that it took the ball completely missing the qb and an Brooks having to make the head's up play of all head's up plays to convert it.

Quinn still had a few Quinn moments in this game.  I am revising after a rewatch to say that the 3rd down pass on our last possession in the first half was easily his worst and could have changed the game.  Not only did he airmail it a mile over an open Worthy on a critical down...we're incredibly fortunate that Worthy went olympic high jump and climbed the ladder to knock it offline or it was likely a pick six and a totally different feeling game going into half.  Thankfully moot.

Either way, Quinn played great given the circumstances. Grade of A overall.  As I said earlier, the td pass on the slant to Mitchell was beautiful, the sideline pass to Mitchell was beautiful.  the slant pass to Whittington at the goal line after the first pick was really good too and that's a td if it is Mitchell instead of Jordan.  The 3rd down pass to Whittington was a thing of beauty...as was the third down laser to Sanders.  The 3rd and goal that Worthy dropped was perfect.  Even the simple swing passes were all put perfectly on the money in stride giving speed guys the ability to get 5-12 yards instead of 2. He has started trusting more than 1 and 0.  That makes the Texas offense legit dangerous.

Hopefully, he can continue to build on the awesome performance and hopefully the oline can continue to put up A+ pass protection games like that.  I still dread him winding up and throwing deep and this game did very little to dispel that despite his overall great play.  Hopefully, as I think doc said way up above, a lot of the deep passing game is confidence and rhythm...success begets success.  I agree.  Hopefully that proves out with Quinn and the wrs going forward.

TLDR: Jesus Christ, calm down. Everyone was happy that Quinn slapped in all facets.  Hook'em.  Let's hope they can take the next step and defy the sark tendency to play down to competition a week after playing up to competition and go kill Wyoming. 

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

If he throws to the corner of the end zone, which is where Worthy's route was originally taking him, it is an extremely easy catch for a wide open Worthy. He would have been untouched. As is, Quinn did good getting enough air on it for Worthy to adjust, but he also dragged Worthy back to the middle of the field, giving the db a little bit of an angle to dive and attempt to disrupt Worthy's now more difficult catch. It wasn't a terrible throw, and was infinitely better than pretty much everything we saw last season outside of the Bama game. I much prefer what Quinn did to him trying to throw to the corner but putting the ball out too far like we saw many times last year. 

giphy.gif

see my spoilered text wall novel above.  and that's all i was saying.  worthy is an interesting fella in that he made that play but didn't pull in that thing of beauty quinn put out there on the goal line.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet