Game Week- Alabama

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, BTW said:

I'd just like to point out that the Longhorns are undefeated following the death of a British Monarch ...

1972 (King Henry VIII) 23-10 vs. Miami (FL)

1952 (King George VI) 35-14 vs. LSU

1910 (King Edward VII) 11-6 vs. Southwestern

1901 (Queen Victoria) 32-0 vs. the Houston Athletic Association

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xcalibur said:

All week we've been hearing nothing except for how Texas will be blown off the field, doesn't belong in the same sentence with Bama, and is going to embarrass themselves.  Where have we heard that before?  Not SEC ready, blah blah.

Fuck all that. We're 7-1-1 against Bama, and everybody knows that the result of the single game in the loss column was bullshit.  Our decline started with that loss to Bama, and so too did their rise.  Reversal of fortune incoming.  Saban made a goddamn deal with the devil, and it's now time to pay the piper.

We actually have a few things working for us in this matchup that not very many are talking about or are willing to admit.  

Nick Saban is a bitch when it comes to scheduling out of conference road games.  He doesn't play them.  Bama hasn't lost often in the regular season during the Saban era, but when they have, it's been on the road (2013 Auburn; 2014 Ole Miss; 2017 Auburn; 2019 Auburn; 2021 aggy).  We have generally played pretty well against highly ranked teams in recent seasons, especially at home.  LSU in 2019 was electric and we were right there.  This year's Bama is not better than that LSU team. 

When Bama has struggled in the Saban era, it has usually been the result of two things from the other side: talented RBs and TEs in space.  Guess what Texas' two biggest positional advantages in this matchup are?  We will have the best RB and TE on the field this Saturday.  And there is no one better than former Bama OC and our current head coach to scheme and create the type of space required for Bijan and Sanders to be successful.  Our offense is going to operate, and we're going to score.

To prevail on Saturday, we will also need a great game from our defense.  We might get it.  Against ULM last week, I saw something in our defense that I haven't seen in several seasons--our players were routinely in position to make plays and limit offensive gains (the lone exception was Brockmeyer's contribution in trash time that resulted in ULM's only touchdown). The tackling was also much improved from previous seasons.  Sure we're young, but we still have speed and size with playmaking potential.  We actually got pressure (and a few sacks) against ULM in our opener (Bama didn't in theirs), which is something that we were incapable of doing to any team last year.  While high-level and consistent play for 4 quarters on Saturday will be a tall order, the social facilitation of a raucous and hostile DKR should help our defense.

Our biggest weakness against Bama will be our depth.  We're going to have to do more with less.  We'll probably need to get some help with turnovers or on big special teams plays (we successfully did both last week).  But doing so doesn't seem hopelessly out of reach, given the amp and energy of the stadium and spotlight that we'll be dealing with. 

I think that some chinks are visible in Bama's otherwise invincible armor.  Their own fanbase has been expressing some nervousness about their relatively lackluster offensive line performance last week.  Bama is mortal, and we are capable of beating them.  I'm not saying that we'll win... but don't be fucking surprised if we do.  

Fuck Bama and Hook 'em Horns.

tom-brady-lets-go.gif

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Vertuzzi said:

We have nothing to fucking lose this Saturday. Nobody thinks we have a shot, so might as well go out and hit them in the mouth early. 

This is what I have been thinking.  As long as its not a blow out, we "win".  Unless they blow us out they "lose".  Its time to let the balls hang low.

It will come down to our OL play. If they can give Ewers some time to throw, we will have a chance. If the OL plays like how they played last year against Arky, I am afraid Ewers will get flustered, and it will go downhill fast like Fat Ketch rolling down a hill. Have to protect the QB, which I believe we are capable of doing if the team believes in themselves. 

Sam Khan (Athletic): For Texas, Alabama game isn’t be-all, end-all, but it’s a peek at progress

Sarkisian attests that the team chemistry and culture is better this year. Players echo that sentiment.

“Togetherness,” edge rusher Ovie Oghoufo noted as the difference.

Coburn claims there’s less finger pointing. Multiple players and Sarkisian say this team is mentally tougher since it got destroyed in Fayetteville, Ark.

This is Texas’ opportunity to display that.

-

Asked which vehicle of his had been impounded, Ewers paused momentarily and deadpanned “my car,” eliciting a host of laughs.

-

Overshown said a Longhorns win “would probably shock the world, but it wouldn’t shock nobody inside our locker room.

“We work hard just like everybody else in the country,” he said. “A win is what we’re coming in wanting or hoping to happen.”

Said Coburn: “It would just showcase that we’re that team and we mean everything we say: All Gas No Brakes, and we’re constantly coming, and we do what we’re supposed to do and we made a change, and it’s a new Texas.”

-

“I’m ready to see how our team responds to adversity … because that’s gonna be the big test,” Overshown said. “And that’s going to carry out throughout the season, because we’re going to face adversity this coming Saturday.

Text

Spoiler

Khan: For Texas, Alabama game isn’t be-all, end-all, but it’s a peek at progress

Sep 3, 2022; Austin, Texas, USA; Texas Longhorns head coach Steve Sarkisian before the game against the Louisiana Monroe Warhawks in the first half at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Scott Wachter-USA TODAY Sports
By Sam Khan Jr.
8h ago

AUSTIN, Texas — Texas fifth-year defensive tackle Keondre Coburn thought about this game when the series was announced the spring before his freshman season. He wondered whether he’d still be on campus or in the NFL.

Cornerback D’Shawn Jamison said friends and family have called and texted him about it all offseason long. When the team ran gassers in the 100-degree heat this summer, needing to dig deep to push through, showdowns like Saturday’s against No. 1 Alabama were on the Longhorns’ minds. The meeting has been hard to downplay.

“That’s the first question somebody asks every time they see you,” linebacker DeMarvion Overshown said. “Are you ready for the Bama game?”

The Longhorns better be because Alabama Week is here. On Saturday morning, along with a circus that includes ESPN’s “College GameDay,” Fox’s “Big Noon Kickoff,” a crush of media, fans and various other distractions, the Crimson Tide are coming.

It’s hard to pack much more hype into a regular-season game. The programs with rich histories will be SEC mates in 2025, or sooner. Saturday will be their first meeting since they played for the national championship following the 2009 season. The teams took divergent paths from there: Alabama to consistent national dominance, Texas largely into the abyss. The Longhorns, who went 5-7 last year, want to return to the sport’s mountaintop where they were when these teams last played. The Crimson Tide, who have won six titles in the Nick Saban era, are the national standard-bearers.

That backdrop provides immense intrigue. And yet, the current Longhorns and coach Steve Sarkisian would be wise to discard most of it, because it matters little in the context of their 2022 goals.

“My goal is to be in Dallas Dec. 3,” Sarkisian said, referencing the Big 12 championship game. “This game has no impact on that.”

Trite as Sarkisian’s assertion is, it’s mostly true. Whatever happens on Saturday, Texas’ primary focus this season should be to return to the conference title game, something it has done only once since the game resumed in 2017. The Longhorns haven’t won the Big 12 since 2009 and have won double-digit games in a season only once since.

Texas is a 20-point underdog and few outside of the locker room or Longhorns faithful expect them to upset the Crimson Tide. As much as outside observers will want to use Saturday’s result as a referendum on Texas’ program, it probably shouldn’t be. What matters more is how Texas performs in the 10 games following Saturday.

“One of the biggest mistakes people make is like, ‘This is going to be the game that’s going to define our program,'” Sarkisian said. “It might. It might not. I’m not that concerned about it. I’m more concerned about just the way we play the game.”

That’s not to say that a larger narrative can’t be ascribed to the outcome. If Texas is down by four or five touchdowns in the first half, that could be ominous. Conversely, if the Longhorns somehow upend Alabama, it immediately puts them in the College Football Playoff conversation.

But absent those two extremes, if the game turns out as Vegas oddsmakers forecast, it shouldn’t alarm anyone. What comes in the aftermath is key: the Week 3 tilt against UTSA. The Big 12 opener at Texas Tech on Sept. 24. The Red River rivalry on Oct. 8. Games against teams like Iowa State, Kansas and West Virginia, all squads Texas lost to last year.

“What’s more important is conference that we’ve got to work on first,” Coburn said.

What Saturday should serve as is an audition for Texas. A chance to prove it’s making the progress that Sarkisian and the players insist they have after a disastrous 2021. Last year included a six-game losing streak, the program’s longest since 1956. Texas’ one game against an SEC foe ended poorly, a 40-21 whupping at the hands of Arkansas.

Sarkisian turned the roster over, bringing in 35 new scholarship players, including 15 combined new offensive and defensive linemen and former overall No. 1 recruit Quinn Ewers at quarterback. Sarkisian attests that the team chemistry and culture is better this year. Players echo that sentiment.

“Togetherness,” edge rusher Ovie Oghoufo noted as the difference.

Coburn claims there’s less finger pointing. Multiple players and Sarkisian say this team is mentally tougher since it got destroyed in Fayetteville, Ark.

This is Texas’ opportunity to display that.

To their credit, the players seemed loose this week. The only sweat visible Monday was the bit glistening off the side of Sarkisian’s face, because the team finished practice just moments before he hit the microphone.

Sarkisian held court with reporters, joking about not wearing white after Labor Day. Players cut up about Ewers’ parking misfortune Saturday night: The former five-star quarterback found after his debut win that his car had been towed.

Asked which vehicle of his had been impounded, Ewers paused momentarily and deadpanned “my car,” eliciting a host of laughs.

For many of the team’s veterans, this type of pregame buildup isn’t new. Texas hosted LSU in 2019 in a buzzworthy affair (and a 45-38 Texas loss). The Oklahoma game annually generates national attention. And some of the transfers have played in high-stakes affairs elsewhere.

Oghoufo, a former Notre Dame transfer, recalled traveling to Georgia in 2019 and taking on the Tide in the Playoff the following year. The roster has a handful of Alabama transfers who know what it’s all about, too.

For the younger players, like true freshman offensive linemen Kelvin Banks and Cole Hutson, it’ll be a new experience that the upperclassmen must guide them through.

“It’s easier said than done,” for younger players to compartmentalize it, Oghoufo said. “It’s my job, D-Mo, Keondre, to pick up the younger players and bring them up to speed and understand that, ‘This is how it has to be.’”

Sarkisian has spent recent days reminding the team that, despite the presence of the pregame shows, it’s not as if the players can attend them. They won’t be mingling outside Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium with the thousands of tailgating fans and little inside the building will functionally change.

“What we can control is our ability to execute, our ability to play a brand and a style of football that we’re proud of,” Sarkisian said. “And then the game goes however it’s going to go.

“But we’ve got to make sure we’re putting our best foot forward, so that whatever the score reads, that when we get in that locker room, we’re proud of the way we played the game.”

Sarkisian said it with conviction, saying he wants to see the team play fast, tough and physical as it did in the season-opening blowout win of Louisiana-Monroe. His words held a tinge of Saban, who often harps on his players to focus singularly play-to-play and to ignore the scoreboard. Naturally, Sarkisian spent three seasons with the Tide before taking the Texas job.

“If I can ultimately say I’m proud of the way we played, then we’ve probably given ourselves a chance to do something,” Sarkisian said.

If it sounds like the Longhorns are conceding on Saturday, they’re not. Players spoke of displaying a new identity and what a win would mean.

Overshown said a Longhorns win “would probably shock the world, but it wouldn’t shock nobody inside our locker room.

“We work hard just like everybody else in the country,” he said. “A win is what we’re coming in wanting or hoping to happen.”

Said Coburn: “It would just showcase that we’re that team and we mean everything we say: All Gas No Brakes, and we’re constantly coming, and we do what we’re supposed to do and we made a change, and it’s a new Texas.”

Ultimately, Saturday will be educational. Texas knows it’ll get difficult. Alabama is No. 1 for a reason. And how Texas handles it all will provide a window into whether things have really changed.

“I’m ready to see how our team responds to adversity … because that’s gonna be the big test,” Overshown said. “And that’s going to carry out throughout the season, because we’re going to face adversity this coming Saturday.

“However we respond to that is going to tell how our season is going to go from there.”

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I don't know.  His Southlake Carroll team lost to Westlake in the state finals by 3 TDs and never saw him lose his cool.  Obviously a limited sample size.

Limited sample, but a good sample. If he managed to keep it together then, and he’s matured two years, that isn’t a bad thing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

It will come down to our OL play. If they can give Ewers some time to throw, we will have a chance. If the OL plays like how they played last year against Arky, I am afraid Ewers will get flustered, and it will go downhill fast like Fat Ketch rolling down a hill. Have to protect the QB, which I believe we are capable of doing if the team believes in themselves. 

From everything I've read, Ewers has a super short on-field memory and doesn't get sidelined by bad plays or beatdowns. I expect plenty of bad on Saturday but Ewers getting frustrated isn't one (not to say he won't try to create plays that backfire, but that'll happen even in blowout victories this year). 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

How in the goddamned living fuck can anyone post on this site that they'd rather have Derrick Henry at RB than Ricky Williams or Earl Campbell? That's fucking inexcusable. 

how in the goddamned hell can anybody post on this site that they would rather have Will Anderson on defense than Tommy Nobis?

Bogus list!

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

We do not have the same O Line as we did last year. As a smart poster on another site said....This aint Ground Hog Day...

9 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

From everything I've read, Ewers has a super short on-field memory and doesn't get sidelined by bad plays or beatdowns. I expect plenty of bad on Saturday but Ewers getting frustrated isn't one (not to say he won't try to create plays that backfire, but that'll happen even in blowout victories this year). 

Hope you're right! Some of you have followed him for much longer than I have, so if you think it's not in his nature to get flustered under pressure, I am good with that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Don't expect Quinn to have a clean pocket. On Defense Bama likely overloads the right side of our line which features Cole Hutson and Christian Jones. Or simply lines up Will Anderson across from Jones and beat him 1/1. Key will be if Sark can channel his inner Kyle Shanahan and engineer some misdirection and play action to slow down the aggressive pass rush and get Quinn out of the pocket. 

On offense, expect Bryce Young to challenge our corners like D'Shawn Jamison who struggle in coverage. 

2 hours ago, Xcalibur said:

All week we've been hearing nothing except for how Texas will be blown off the field, doesn't belong in the same sentence with Bama, and is going to embarrass themselves.  Where have we heard that before?  Not SEC ready, blah blah.

Fuck all that. We're 7-1-1 against Bama, and everybody knows that the result of the single game in the loss column was bullshit.  Our decline started with that loss to Bama, and so too did their rise.  Reversal of fortune incoming.  Saban made a goddamn deal with the devil, and it's now time to pay the piper.

We actually have a few things working for us in this matchup that not very many are talking about or are willing to admit.  

Nick Saban is a bitch when it comes to scheduling out of conference road games.  He doesn't play them.  Bama hasn't lost often in the regular season during the Saban era, but when they have, it's been on the road (2013 Auburn; 2014 Ole Miss; 2017 Auburn; 2019 Auburn; 2021 aggy).  We have generally played pretty well against highly ranked teams in recent seasons, especially at home.  LSU in 2019 was electric and we were right there.  This year's Bama is not better than that LSU team. 

When Bama has struggled in the Saban era, it has usually been the result of two things from the other side: talented RBs and TEs in space.  Guess what Texas' two biggest positional advantages in this matchup are?  We will have the best RB and TE on the field this Saturday.  And there is no one better than former Bama OC and our current head coach to scheme and create the type of space required for Bijan and Sanders to be successful.  Our offense is going to operate, and we're going to score.

To prevail on Saturday, we will also need a great game from our defense.  We might get it.  Against ULM last week, I saw something in our defense that I haven't seen in several seasons--our players were routinely in position to make plays and limit offensive gains (the lone exception was Brockmeyer's contribution in trash time that resulted in ULM's only touchdown). The tackling was also much improved from previous seasons.  Sure we're young, but we still have speed and size with playmaking potential.  We actually got pressure (and a few sacks) against ULM in our opener (Bama didn't in theirs), which is something that we were incapable of doing to any team last year.  While high-level and consistent play for 4 quarters on Saturday will be a tall order, the social facilitation of a raucous and hostile DKR should help our defense.

Our biggest weakness against Bama will be our depth.  We're going to have to do more with less.  We'll probably need to get some help with turnovers or on big special teams plays (we successfully did both last week).  But doing so doesn't seem hopelessly out of reach, given the amp and energy of the stadium and spotlight that we'll be dealing with. 

I think that some chinks are visible in Bama's otherwise invincible armor.  Their own fanbase has been expressing some nervousness about their relatively lackluster offensive line performance last week.  Bama is mortal, and we are capable of beating them.  I'm not saying that we'll win... but don't be fucking surprised if we do.  

Fuck Bama and Hook 'em Horns.

Excited Lets Go GIF by MLB

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BTW said:

I'd just like to point out that the Longhorns are undefeated following the death of a British Monarch ...

1936 George V 6-6 vs. LSU

Edited by hook me
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, BTW said:

Wish I could rep this twice. That's my kind of research and the first thing that's made me care about a monarch's death. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Don't expect Quinn to have a clean pocket. On Defense Bama likely overloads the right side of our line which features Cole Hutson and Christian Jones. Or simply lines up Will Anderson across from Jones and beat him 1/1. Key will be if Sark can channel his inner Kyle Shanahan and engineer some misdirection and play action to slow down the aggressive pass rush and get Quinn out of the pocket. 

On offense, expect Bryce Young to challenge our corners like D'Shawn Jamison who struggle in coverage. 

Debbie Downer Snl GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

Sark should have a flexible game plan offensively for this matchup. If he doesn’t, then I dunno what the fuck he was doing all off season. The install should have covered various formations and ensured that each QB knew multiple plays from each. After that, you expand on those for the more complex aspects that you wish for the QBs to eventually memorize. 

This allows for your offense to adapt/adjust rather quickly on the fly in games where glaring issues arise. Knowing that the O-line situation could result in you fielding group of youth/inexperience, proactive solutions should already be in place.

O-line protection decent/good? All plays /formations available 

O-line protection average/poor? Narrow down to formations/plays that add pass pro assistance. 

O-line getting absolutely obliterated? Nothing but plays that involve short/quick passes that prevent Defenders getting home, or max protect packages that have versatility within the package

There should be no scenario where an adjustment to the playbook cannot be made to handle the problem at hand. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, BTW said:

It’s like the reverse Tupac death curse 

3 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

B-52 flyover on Saturday.

Wish it was a B-1. Lived in Abilene for awhile, when those things flyover on full burner the city would shake. Awesome display of power. It was a perfect flyover to start this game. 

https://youtu.be/A4yOtYD5mkw

Feed cuts out for a sec from it being so loud. GD that game was just perfect. Keith Jackson was a treasure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, The Deuce said:

Sark should have a flexible game plan offensively for this matchup. If he doesn’t, then I dunno what the fuck he was doing all off season. The install should have covered various formations and ensured that each QB knew multiple plays from each. After that, you expand on those for the more complex aspects that you wish for the QBs to eventually memorize. 

This allows for your offense to adapt/adjust rather quickly on the fly in games where glaring issues arise. Knowing that the O-line situation could result in you fielding group of youth/inexperience, proactive solutions should already be in place.

O-line protection decent/good? All plays /formations available 

O-line protection average/poor? Narrow down to formations/plays that add pass pro assistance. 

O-line getting absolutely obliterated? Nothing but plays that involve short/quick passes that prevent Defenders getting home, or max protect packages that have versatility within the package

There should be no scenario where an adjustment to the playbook cannot be made to handle the problem at hand. 

It's hard-hitting insights like this that make me think you might be a great candidate for head coach if Sark doesn't work out.

• Haha 3

Wait, if Sark has had the Offensive GamePlan installation ready for 4 months, then he must have known 4 months ago who his quarterback was going to be. Unless a guy known to be an offensive mastermind would install the exact same gameplan for two quarterbacks with two different skillsets.

Pondering Anthony Anderson GIF by BET

• Haha 4

On 9/7/2022 at 12:36 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I posted earlier that I couldn't believe that we were 20 point dogs at home. Going back to 1975, Texas has NEVER been a bigger home dog. In fact, Texas has been a bigger underdog only 6 times ever, anywhere, in that time frame.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/college-football-week-2-odds-texas-largest-home-underdog-since-1975

Texas Largest Underdog Since 1975

Year    Spread    Opponent    Result
1987    +30    Oklahoma (N)    L, 44-9
1998    +24    at Kansas St    L, 48-7
1986    +23    Oklahoma (N)    L, 47-12
2015    +20.5    at Baylor    W, 23-17
1996    +20.5    Nebraska (N)    W, 37-27
1989    +20.5    at Houston    L, 47-9
2022    +20    vs. Alabama    
1993    +20    at Texas A&M    L, 18-9

I know that we were 5-7 and lost to fucking Kansas last year, and I went on and on about how impressive Bama is... But I was there for a lot of those games when we were such big underdogs. Many of those Texas teams were just straight up untalented. I have a hard time believing that a team with Bijan, Worthy, Ewers, and Sanders with Sark calling plays can't score enough points to at least keep it close.

92% of the action is on Bama -20? Man I'm glad I quit gambling on football.

3 and 5 against the spread. 2 outright. All conference games.

We are going to win... (Or cover).