Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

On 10/24/2023 at 12:14 PM, Bevo said:

I wonder if Gerry Hamilton followed Maalik much in high school.  He talks about Arch not playing on an all star team and being under duress in high school being a benefit to him but does he realize the same applied to Maalik in HS?  We call Sark this QB guru so lets see what he has got cooking with Maalik and Arch.  I trust he is going to have have them ready for BYU.   If there is one thing I trust with Sark is his QB recruiting so the only thing I'm worried about going into Saturday is if the defense can hold up and if jitters don't get the best of whichever QB gets to play.  I think both guys aren't afraid of the bright lights though and will embrace the challenge.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Nuge said:

Has Quinn really impressed you that much?

Quinn has had a very good season so far. I don't care about how much the team likes Murphy, that doesn't mean he is going to automatically come in and move the offense up and down the field with his overpowering throws on the swagger route. I certainly hope he does, but I expect this to be a fairly conservative first game. 

3 minutes ago, Noozak said:

Quinn has a 78% completion rate against conference opponents, and that number stays above 70% for the whole season. He has 13 passing tds and only 3 interceptions on the season. What the hell about that is not impressive? I get it man, you have a hard-on for Maalik, but don't act like Quinn isn't having an impressive season. 

Those stats are impressive, no doubt, but Quinn just doesn't seem to have "it" to me.  I want him to be successful but his body language, pocket presence, and throwing motion don't give me confidence.  I find myself holding my breath on passing plays hoping for a completion vs expecting one.

Maybe Maalik is the answer, maybe he isn't but his attitude, and bearing say leader to me.  

Nobody knows dick about MMs in game swagger or leadership at this point. And his throwing motion is cheeks. Hope he does great and wins us some games but quotes from players because he’s a cool guy don’t say anything to me.

Edited by Hank_Hill

10 minutes ago, GTJ1982 said:

I wonder if Gerry Hamilton followed Maalik much in high school.  He talks about Arch not playing on an all star team and being under duress in high school being a benefit to him but does he realize the same applied to Maalik in HS?  We call Sark this QB guru so lets see what he has got cooking with Maalik and Arch.  I trust he is going to have have them ready for BYU.   If there is one thing I trust with Sark is his QB recruiting so the only thing I'm worried about going into Saturday is if the defense can hold up and if jitters don't get the best of whichever QB gets to play.  I think both guys aren't afraid of the bright lights though and will embrace the challenge.  

I think the difference being Newmann is generally less talented than the teams they play. They get absolutely blasted, when they go to the playoffs and play someone like U Labs.. That wasnt quite the same for Maalik. He never had to go out and play mismatch vs Mater Dei or Bosco. 

Edited by Codaxx

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

Nobody knows dick about MMs in game swagger or leadership at this point. And his throwing motion is cheeks. Hope he does great and wins us some games but quotes from players because he’s a cool guy don’t say anything to me.

Part of my original statement was "if he produces".  Maybe I should be more specific for you.  He needs to play well and win.  If he's accomplishing those two things then why not let him keep the job and stay with the hot hand?

6 minutes ago, Nuge said:

Those stats are impressive, no doubt, but Quinn just doesn't seem to have "it" to me.  I want him to be successful but his body language, pocket presence, and throwing motion don't give me confidence.  I find myself holding my breath on passing plays hoping for a completion vs expecting one.

Maybe Maalik is the answer, maybe he isn't but his attitude, and bearing say leader to me.  

A player usually has "it" after he has been wildly successful. Rarely does "it" turn out to be a predictive thing. Nobody ever said Manning or Brady had "it" in college, that BS came after they go a ring

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Quinn has had a very good season so far. I don't care about how much the team likes Murphy, that doesn't mean he is going to automatically come in and move the offense up and down the field with his overpowering throws on the swagger route. I certainly hope he does, but I expect this to be a fairly conservative first game. 

But  conservative Sark where we actually try to run the ball is better for this team than risk taking Sark.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Nuge said:

I hear what you're saying - it's hard to point to instances where Quinn took over a game. The second half against Alabama is probably the closest, though it's not like Quinn carried the team. A bunch of guys stepped up. And that's the issue - from what I can tell, Sark wants someone to run his system. If everyone does their job, no one needs to be the hero. Sark wants an efficient bus driver rather than superman. And Quinn's been driving the bus pretty well.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Nuge said:

Part of my original statement was "if he produces".  Maybe I should be more specific for you.  He needs to play well and win.  If he's accomplishing those two things then why not let him keep the job and stay with the hot hand?

If he produces better than Ewers, absolutely. That hasn’t been the case so far or he’s be the starter. If he just does decent and his team also happens to like him then the “no reason to give the job back to Ewers” comment is ridiculous.

17 minutes ago, GTJ1982 said:

Junipero Serra is definitely a talented HS. It's just not as talented as the Cali powerhouses (SJB, MD, De La Salle, Centennial)

14 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

If he produces better than Ewers, absolutely. That hasn’t been the case so far or he’s be the starter. If he just does decent and his team also happens to like him then the “no reason to give the job back to Ewers” comment is ridiculous.

Fair point

1 hour ago, Nuge said:

989.jpg

1 hour ago, Nuge said:

Those stats are impressive, no doubt,

Except they really aren't. I'll x post what I just posted in the Quinn thread. 

Casey Thompson had a 154.7 passer rating (Quinn at 163.8 this season) in his season with Sark - on a 5 win Texas team that had dick at wideout outside of Worthy and an offensive line nowhere near as good as this season's. And obviously, Quinn posted a much lower 132.6 last season. Card had a 158.1.

Y'all want to know what Tua and Mac Jones (who looks like a total JAG now in the NFL) had in their 2 seasons under Sark at Bama? A 206.9 and a 203.1. 

Sure - Sark has split duties now and Bama had a bit more talent - but Quinn posting a 163.8 is passable to pretty good - it isn't impressive, at all - and using it to compare him to Colt is fucking heresy. It's a completely disingenuous comparison that only serves to give Quinn a pass for as meh as he's been this season outside of the Bama game. 

I don't think Maalik is going to be better than Quinn but acting like Quinn has set some unattainable bar is ridiculous. This sport is littered with examples at every level of the backup coming in and being better. It isn't unreasonable to think that it's possible. Unlikely? Yes. 

We'll find out on Saturday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

There is question there are big shoes to fill but I mean Maalik is big enough to fill the expectations and the shoes. I kinda feel like he’s been disrespected by some fans for no good reason. I hope dude goes out and balls and whips some BYU ass this weekend. I’ve got his back! Let’s go Maalik! Pick apart the doubters like you will BYU’s defense! 🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼

IMG_7780.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

I'd like to point out here that the players loved Charlie Strong, they even cried for him after they lost to kansas and got him fired. 18-20 year olds opinions on important subjects means less than shit. In fact, their opinons are probaly worse than nuge's post and that's saying something lulz.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

A player usually has "it" after he has been wildly successful. Rarely does "it" turn out to be a predictive thing. Nobody ever said Manning or Brady had "it" in college, that BS came after they go a ring

I look at Eli Manning as the textbook example of this. He was too passive, too emotionless, not a leader, didn’t have “it.” Until he won a Super Bowl. Then the same pundits talked about how he was cool, calm, unflappable. Sane guy. Same demeanor. He didn’t change-it’s entirely result-driven, not predictive.

I thought David Ash had the best concise take on leadership I’ve seen, remarkably insightful for a college kid: “"People say leadership is a lot of different things, but when it comes down to it, it is a really abstract term that has a different meaning to everyone. I think guys want to follow the guy who is going to put them in the endzone.”

Anytime someone starts psychoanalyzing a player or talks about body language or “it,” you can pretty safely ignore their opinion.

• Hook 'Em 6

6 hours ago, formermav43 said:

I look at Eli Manning as the textbook example of this. He was too passive, too emotionless, not a leader, didn’t have “it.” Until he won a Super Bowl. Then the same pundits talked about how he was cool, calm, unflappable. Sane guy. Same demeanor. He didn’t change-it’s entirely result-driven, not predictive.

I thought David Ash had the best concise take on leadership I’ve seen, remarkably insightful for a college kid: “"People say leadership is a lot of different things, but when it comes down to it, it is a really abstract term that has a different meaning to everyone. I think guys want to follow the guy who is going to put them in the endzone.”

Anytime someone starts psychoanalyzing a player or talks about body language or “it,” you can pretty safely ignore their opinion.

Ewers uncharacteristically turning the ball over against OU and then turning around to go 18/18 (the obvious no call PI on worthy ruining it) was an “it” moment for me. A lot of guys would crumble after doing what he did in with the turnovers. Last year ewers probably does fold but he didn’t  which says a lot about his determination to be the best player this year for his team. Like you said with the Ash quote, the “it” factor in a qb can be stupid when all that matters is if he wins ball games. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

There is question there are big shoes to fill but I mean Maalik is big enough to fill the expectations and the shoes. I kinda feel like he’s been disrespected by some fans for no good reason. I hope dude goes out and balls and whips some BYU ass this weekend. I’ve got his back! Let’s go Maalik! Pick apart the doubters like you will BYU’s defense! 🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼

IMG_7780.jpeg

Malik is hunched over and still a head taller than the rest of them...will he be the tallest guy on the field on Saturday?

10 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

I hear what you're saying - it's hard to point to instances where Quinn took over a game. The second half against Alabama is probably the closest, though it's not like Quinn carried the team. A bunch of guys stepped up. And that's the issue - from what I can tell, Sark wants someone to run his system. If everyone does their job, no one needs to be the hero. Sark wants an efficient bus driver rather than superman. And Quinn's been driving the bus pretty well.

Call me crazy but after a decade of watching mostly shit qb play (ash and ehlinger excluded) if we are the point we are arguing whether a qbs production is systemic or not , I'll be a happy fan

Edit: to put another way after 20 years of bs ? If you're telling me we FINALLY have an offense where the QB doesn't matter and where going to score score +/- a touchdown, were fucking winning fuck the details

Edited by BigHornedLurker
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Regardless of who is taking the snaps, the greatest concern right now is that this team and staff as a whole has looked underwhelming the last two weeks.  Murphy can’t fix all those things, but if he can find ways to extend plays and move the chains, hopefully he can keep our banged up defense off the field and rested.  Whittington has to be a bigger part of the offense, especially on 3rd downs and inside the 20.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, BarthHollamew said:

Regardless of who is taking the snaps, the greatest concern right now is that this team and staff as a whole has looked underwhelming the last two weeks.  Murphy can’t fix all those things, but if he can find ways to extend plays and move the chains, hopefully he can keep our banged up defense off the field and rested.  Whittington has to be a bigger part of the offense, especially on 3rd downs and inside the 20.  

Bye week we looked good!

The sweet thing about a "system QB" in Sark's system is it's literally the best system for the talented WR, TE, and RBs he's recruited. It's just point guard, pure distributer. 

I liked that we threw one with Red early but I think he needs to be involved just as a RB too. I know there's limited touches but Brooks, Baxter, Robinson, and Red should all be able to get 5 touches right? 12-15 for Brooks obviously but that hopefully leaves enough for the other three. 

Yes more JWhitt would be nice too, hopefully Maalik with that height can just drop them over the middle without as much of a struggle as Quinn had seemed to have there. 

16 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

Sark’s offense isn't what I'd call a bus driver's offense. It's pretty demanding and it requires a high level of play from the QB to be effective.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Nuge said:

His throwing motion don't give you confidence???     WTF do you know about throwing motion?

I will tell you what gives me confidence....Every single time at the end of a game this year when we absolutely..... ABSOLUTELY had to drive for a score Quinn delivered. No Texas QB not named VY or James Street can say that..maybe Colt...

I don't give a rats ass about your swagger bullshit!.....

Now get off my lawn...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

18 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

Even a bus driver has to be prepared to take over.

spacer.png

9 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

His throwing motion don't give you confidence???     WTF do you know about throwing motion?

I will tell you what gives me confidence....Every single time at the end of a game this year when we absolutely..... ABSOLUTELY had to drive for a score Quinn delivered. No Texas QB not named VY or James Street can say that..maybe Colt...

I don't give a rats ass about your swagger bullshit!.....

Now get off my lawn...

except you know, that one time where we didn't.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers