Just how down is ou?

TexArcher

On 10/9/2022 at 8:49 AM, closetojumping said:

Maybe, but here’s something to think about regarding Venables and his staff. I haven’t seen the following mentioned anywhere, albeit I didn’t read the OU game thread after being at the game, but the OU staff stopped gathering the position groups into huddles on the sideline midway through the second half yesterday. They fucking quit as a staff with more than a quarter to play. That doesn’t bode well for a turnaround. 

When Mack Brown’s 1998 team went down big for a second straight game against UCLA, the whole staff and team did the opposite of what we saw from OU. That team kept playing and attempted a comeback against a superior opponent. They played all the way through the final whistle and the end result wasn’t fully disastrous. It also set a tone for the rest of that season that he and others have mentioned over the years. 

Similarly but even more absurdly, Stoops took his team into the Cotton Bowl in 1999 and they really believed they were winning that game. They went up big early and then tried to hang on. They were crushed when they lost and their fans on the boards proclaimed that Stoops was doing “big  things” and would bring them back to national prominence. We mocked them for it. 

Anyway, there was none of that fight in OU or their staff yesterday. If a puppy is going to be a big dog, he is going to bite you hard early. I don’t see that, again, gratefully, with Venables and crew. 

Speaking more to OU quitting. They came out in the second half, got a big INT & decent field position down 28-0 & ran 3 straight wildcat plays. 2 & 11, 3 & 8 from the 30ish & you don't let your backup QB even take a snap to keep the defense somewhat honest? It was obvious they came out with the intent to burn the clock as much as possible so we wouldn't score 60. Mission accomplished on that I guess, but I was pretty shocked they had that much quit in them vs. us from the top down. a&m showed more guts at Bama than OU could muster at the Cotton Bowl. That's a big yikes & I couldn't be more excited about it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

15 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Someone said Stoops ran it up. He didn’t.  They played on a different level  than us that day. Just like we did them  yesterday 

Yeah, my bad. I tend to confuse you ChiTownDoc, who despite his terrible choice in schools, is a cool poster. I was thinking you were talking a little shit.

My cousin in Oklahoma is telling me that things are really bad right now. The one saving grace has been that while inflation has made groceries too expensive for a lot of people, bags of dicks are actually cheaper than they used to be because the OU fans are too depressed to eat them. So things are really bad, but also good if you are looking for cheap dicks to eat.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

My cousin in Oklahoma is telling me that things are really bad right now. The one saving grace has been that while inflation has made groceries too expensive for a lot of people, bags of dicks are actually cheaper than they used to be because the OU fans are too depressed to eat them. So things are really bad, but also good if you are looking for cheap dicks to eat.

User name ✔️ out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

I listened to some OU podcasts as well and can confirm what CTJ says. They are basically clueless as to how far up the shit creek they are. They are in shock, cognitive dissonance and denial about their situation. Brandon Drumm straight up said that BV has had buy-in issues from some players in the roster and that he cant really wait until they graduate in a year or two.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/9/2022 at 9:51 AM, victory88 said:

Riley masked a lot of ou’s deficiencies with his scheme and constant influx of elite QBs.  We’re see first hand the difference when Quinn is playing vs Hudson/Thompson/Swoopes/Heard etc.  All of the sudden the offense is humming and clicking.  Props to Sark for getting the right pieces in place and we’re seeing week to week improvement which k haven’t seen on the 40 acres since the mid 2000s.  Ou replaced both their coordinators, good ones at that.  Lost all their elite talent except for Mims and Gray. Those idiots expected not to lose a step introducing new schemes.  We saw here first hand what the veer and shoot looks like when you don’t have the personnel to run it paired with a bad defense.  Sark had lots of the issues last year but at least we were able to game plan to the point that we led most teams into the 4th quarter.  Ou couldn’t do anything.  Their coaches need to at this point dumb down everything and focus on effort and fundamentals.  We’ve seen first hand how long it takes to get rid of the losing mentality and build a culture.  Ou’s culture was all Riley and now that he’s gone, they have no fucking identity and those players have no confidence in themselves and their coaches.  Fuck them, they deserve this.  I can’t wait to see them roam a decade plus in mediocrity.  This is going to be a major rebuild for them.  Atleast Sark had the pedigree to bring in top QB talent even when we are 5-7.  I can’t imagine they will be able to bring in any elite quarterbacks to play in that system and with a OC that doesn’t have any skins on the wall.  

The portal will help OU speed up their recovery. They have an elite 5 start QB coming next year , Jackson Arnold.  Plus Venables is a defensive guru who will figure things out eventually.OU looks like Texas last year but a bit worse i think . But things change and big time programs with deep pockets rebuild faster. Except for Nebraska and Miami andI USC who i think made terrible coaching and organizational decisions. OU will stick with Venables at least 3 years. 

Lincoln riley certainly masked a lot of the defensive issues with his high potent QBs and offense.  OU conceded many points last year and lost to baylor and OSU and shoudl have lost to Texas ( if not for Caleb Damn williams )  Tulane and Nebraska in Norman.  So this is a talent drain that has been developing for a while.  Lincoln did a number on OU for sure by taking Caleb williams .  It is a QB game . Look at the horns with Ewers and without him.  

Bottom line , Texas has to win the big12 and no more slippage please.  Sark has to beat Baylor and OSU , period.

• Hook 'Em 1

Venables may be too much of a hardass to be successful in a league with less restrictions on player movement than any other league (including professional leagues). I think successful coaches will have to be like NFL coaches- firm limits, but good communicators and fair. 

1 hour ago, AllenTx75 said:

The portal will help OU speed up their recovery. They have an elite 5 start QB coming next year , Jackson Arnold.  Plus Venables is a defensive guru who will figure things out eventually.OU looks like Texas last year but a bit worse i think . But things change and big time programs with deep pockets rebuild faster. Except for Nebraska and Miami andI USC who i think made terrible coaching and organizational decisions. OU will stick with Venables at least 3 years. 

Lincoln riley certainly masked a lot of the defensive issues with his high potent QBs and offense.  OU conceded many points last year and lost to baylor and OSU and shoudl have lost to Texas ( if not for Caleb Damn williams )  Tulane and Nebraska in Norman.  So this is a talent drain that has been developing for a while.  Lincoln did a number on OU for sure by taking Caleb williams .  It is a QB game . Look at the horns with Ewers and without him.  

Bottom line , Texas has to win the big12 and no more slippage please.  Sark has to beat Baylor and OSU , period.

To this point, OU could have been 6-6 last year and they lost 40% of that roster.

12 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Can confirm these narratives coming from the OU/Oklahoma Sports media industrial complex.  If you want the full timeline, it went something like this:

November 2021: Riley is a bitch who was scared to compete in the SEC, and now that I think about it, he’s not a very good coach and was probably tanking this season (a season in which they went 11-2 and were one play from being in the Big 12 title game)

February 2022: Brent Venables is a home run hire. He’s going to bring back the toughness that we lost because Riley is such a soft pussy. The defense is going to be amazing and the offense isn’t going to miss a beat with Jeff Rape Enabler Lebby and Dillon Gabriel.

September 2022 (following Nebraska game): WE’RE BACK, BABY! I told you Venables was a home-run hire! It’s so nice to have a great, physical defense that flies to the ball again, and I’m telling you Dillon Gabriel is a dark horse Heisman candidate.

October 2022: I mean, it’s just going to take time. Riley left the cupboard totally bare; we basically have the talent of a G5 school. Just wait until Venables gets six new 5-star defensive linemen and they are in the system for 3-4 years. Then you’re going to see a dominant defense again. And Dillon Gabriel is nothing special. But just wait until Jackson Arnold gets here. He’s the real deal.

Funny thing(and sad thing) is that Jackson Arnold could most likely legit beat out Dillon Gabriel and all those other so called "quarterbacks" on the current OU roster. 

21 hours ago, hook me said:

Speaking more to OU quitting. They came out in the second half, got a big INT & decent field position down 28-0 & ran 3 straight wildcat plays. 2 & 11, 3 & 8 from the 30ish & you don't let your backup QB even take a snap to keep the defense somewhat honest? It was obvious they came out with the intent to burn the clock as much as possible so we wouldn't score 60. Mission accomplished on that I guess, but I was pretty shocked they had that much quit in them vs. us from the top down. a&m showed more guts at Bama than OU could muster at the Cotton Bowl. That's a big yikes & I couldn't be more excited about it.

Not really... we still could've hung 60 on them, easy, if we hadn't called off the dogs in the 3rd quarter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Lou_Sassle said:

Not really... we still could've hung 60 on them, easy, if we hadn't called off the dogs in the 3rd quarter. 

Which irks me.  I sat out there to the bitter end in the freezing fucking cold when Stoops hung 60 on us.....I wanted to see it repaid in spades.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Which irks me.  I sat out there to the bitter end in the freezing fucking cold when Stoops hung 60 on us.....I wanted to see it repaid in spades.  

Me too but I think sark probably thought, and I agree, some asshole Sooner who was mad and frustrated down 60-0 could have and would have taken a cheap shot on someone like Ewers, Sanders, Bijan, etc 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Funny thing(and sad thing) is that Jackson Arnold could most likely legit beat out Dillon Gabriel and all those other so called "quarterbacks" on the current OU roster. 

We saw this with Strong.  Vaunted defense-minded coach, lost Ash early, and the season nose-dived.  Venables never had to run such a program before.  He always had others manage for him while he focused on being a coordinator.  He's out in deep water and he's fucked.  His incoming class starts to fracture, it's going to be glorious.  

• Like 1

Just now, Js1 said:

Me too but I think sark probably thought, and I agree, some asshole Sooner who was mad and frustrated down 60-0 could have and would have taken a cheap shot on someone like Ewers, Sanders, Bijan, etc 

Aggie got 77-0.  I fucking wanted 78....but point taken, and probably the best course.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

I listened to some OU podcasts as well and can confirm what CTJ says. They are basically clueless as to how far up the shit creek they are. They are in shock, cognitive dissonance and denial about their situation. Brandon Drumm straight up said that BV has had buy-in issues from some players in the roster and that he cant really wait until they graduate in a year or two.

I hope it takes them a while to figure it out, because when they do he will need to change his name to Brent Vulnerables.  And the jig will be up.

32 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The game was well in hand

i think it’s more of letting others get reps in the RRS.

Texas played their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string  Qbs (among other players) in this rout.

How deep did stoops go in their depth  when they hung 60 on Texas??

inquireing minds want to know…

19 minutes ago, TexasTroll said:

The game was well in hand

i think it’s more of letting others get reps in the RRS.

Texas played their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string  Qbs (among other players) in this rout.

How deep did stoops go in their depth  when they hung 60 on Texas??

inquireing minds want to know…

It has been stated on this board that Stoops could have made it 100. Yes he could have.

Sark is not going to run it up. He felt guilty about trying the field goal at the end of the OU game.

He has said many times that you have to respect the game. He is telling you he is not going to pile up points at the end of the game.  

Did Jackson Arnold get a million times better over the last year? The guy I saw in the last two years of the state playoffs was a guy who was highly rated because he started as a freshman on a powerhouse team. 

People around here talk about him like he's THAT DUDE and I haven't seen that at all. If OU is going to get a "5 star QB" then Arnold is the best option I've seen. From Texas's perspective, not theirs. 

I think one thing that’s going to work against OU is that their rebuild is different than Strong and Herman taking over. Those two came from programs where they were a head coach and built those programs into something respectable if not pretty good and that’s why blue chip recruits jumped on and stayed on despite the lackluster results. Venables doesn’t have that. His Clemson resume spoke a little louder than it was worth, IMO. I know he can recruit, but his version of OU is going to look NOTHING like what they’ve gotten used to over the last 15-20 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

We could’ve kept running the offense with backups. Let Charles Wright sling it, man. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

This.  I said that about him in the playoffs last year before I knew he was going to OU, so it’s not even a subconscious bias.  He just really looked like a run of the mill college prospect, not a future NFL player or even really a guy I would have guessed was on the blue blood college schools’ wishlist.  I sincerely hope they pin all their hopes on him.

Well, your wish has already been granted. They’ve already anointed him their savior. His recruitment will probably guarantee BV’s and Lebby’s job security. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

We saw this with Strong.  Vaunted defense-minded coach, lost Ash early, and the season nose-dived.  Venables never had to run such a program before.  He always had others manage for him while he focused on being a coordinator.  He's out in deep water and he's fucked.  His incoming class starts to fracture, it's going to be glorious.  

Venables was nothing special as a DC when he actually had the play calling duties at OU.  At Clemson he played against shitty, shitty offenses in the ACC with little talent and less coaching innovation while coordinating a team with top 4 defensive talent.  I am struggling to think why OU fans even think he is a good DC.  He got his ass ran off once he was the playcallng DC after Mike Stoops and Bo Pelini left (the actual DCs at OU when they had good defenses).  Stoops brought Mike back to coach the defense and call plays, and Venables was being demoted.  They had bad defenses when Venables was in charge.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Oklahoma Breakdown said "Texas punked OU" that is where I stopped. Good enough for me as to how they are feeling. Google search of punked needs updating though.

punk
past tense: punked
        (chiefly in sports) defeat utterly.
        "the TexasTigers punked the Sooners 49-040–6"

Fixed

Edited by DanTheHorn

I wasn't referring to any particular game but to the fact that only a dickhead like him would try to score there when your opponent, who has dominated you all game, has clearly called off the dogs.
This is what got Joel Klatt nearly killed in the Box 12 championship Gabe. Dropping back to pass may their own goalline when they were losing by 67 points.

I think he’s a good coach and will eventually have them respectable if they give him time.  Their talent is shit, though, at the positions where it matters most.  Job 1 is to fix that.  The portal won’t be enough.  It’s a multi-year rebuild.  Not sure they are patient enough to see it though.  

10 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I think he’s a good coach and will eventually have them respectable if they give him time.  Their talent is shit, though, at the positions where it matters most.  Job 1 is to fix that.  The portal won’t be enough.  It’s a multi-year rebuild.  Not sure they are patient enough to see it though.  

Yeah me too. I hope they keep him 10 years 

• Hook 'Em 2