Texas vs iowa state - 11am on ABC

Pancho

5 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

ISU blew it big time.  Super lucky win.  Forget it, move on. 

Offense didn't mix it up, too easy to know when Bijan was getting it. Need more trickery. 

fuck that super lucky fucking shit, we left points all over the field, they dropped a pass, we made a defensive play to seal it

• Hook 'Em 5

The graphic was wrong. They called a fumble.

They signaled fumble. Ref announced on mic, “The ruling on the field of the runner being down prior to the ball coming loose is under further review” and the chyron went with that (as it should).

Besides the obvious incompetence, no idea why the ref said that or made no attempt to correct later.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Ewers definitely, as Parcels used to say, ate the cheese this week. Sark needs to use this game to deflate his head and get him back focused. 

We were fortunate to win a game when Ewers was trash. To his credit late in the game he made the throw he needed to get the win. The OL and Bijan/Roschon running over their D on the way to the goaline helped him a ton. He needs to take this performance to heart and make sure he does what it takes to be ready to play every week. No more buying into your own hype

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Christ this OL got worked down to the last play. I’m happy to see RoJo ice the game. He deserved that even if he shouldn’t have had to work nearly that hard.

Texas got very, very lucky today; you’ll always take the W though. I expected an off game from Ewers to cost this team a game or two and they just stole one of those.

Have at it calling me a pussy, but we’d seen that movie before and we all know what was going to go down if Texas doesn’t get incredibly lucky. I’d call the record representative at this point. Should have won in Lubbock but the staff failed the players. Should have lost here but ISU was just that much worse. Call it even and move on.

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I don’t know about that. It was the exact same shit, ISU just decided to call a QB run with their non running QB and paid for it by half an inch. I’ll take it, but let’s not get carried away.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

But teams played bad enough football to be lucky to have a chance to win.

I swear some of you folks just love the misery. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, JGrayDBU said:

forget 3rd downs...we need a turnover!!!!!!

Well, I finally hit on one.  This game was as even as it could be.

I didn't see any attempt by our D on several fronts.  a. not covering receivers closely, has been a problem for how many years?  b. no stunts by defensive line at all, same path to QB every time, and c. nobody covering the middle of the field on the QB scramble for a TD.  

Is there another fanbase that knows they cannot afford to let the other team go to 3rd down?  

Cain's drop was offset by #8's drop. 

Critique of our offense:

1.  I think our star tight end was injured so that limited choices on the goal line at the end.  but if you are an OC with a brain, you have to change things up, offer something else.  I think that is where the old-fashioned screen to Bijan came in. Get KRob in there as well. 

2.  Whitt needs throws his way big time.  Great player. 

3. Rojo needs to be on the field much more.  needs 10-15 carries a game.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

They signaled fumble. Ref announced on mic, “The ruling on the field of the runner being down prior to the ball coming loose is under further review” and the chyron went with that (as it should).

Besides the obvious incompetence, no idea why the ref said that or made no attempt to correct later.

They said the ruling on the field of a fumble stood when they announced the results of the review 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Don't want to be a bummer after a big win, but that defense needs to find a way to get teams off the field.

Taking away the OU game (which was the result of the Sooners not having their starting QB available), the Texas defense's combined performance on third and fourth  downs absolutely sucks.

ISU: 10 of 15 

OU: 5 of 15

WVU: 12 of 18

Tech: 13 of 20

UTSA: 9 of 16

Bama: 6 of 15

ULM: 6 of 16

Total: 61 of 115, or 53 percent. That is AWFUL.

Yeah it’s a major problem 

Cain dropped a wide open pass for us also.

But that’s not unlucky but Texas. That was within their control, it was just shitty play by Cain.

It’s okay to admit your team got a W with a losing effort and was fortunate to do so. It happens. It’s just been a while since Texas did it.

8 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I hate it. It's excrutiating in real time. It really does seem like PK is gonna ride out this soft ass strategy of giving up long drives and waiting for mistakes. Hope the offense can start forcing teams to have to score to keep up.

I just don't understand how you leave Hutchinson all alone.  Nobody was within a yard of him on any of his catches, usually not 3 or 4 yards.

Secondary was REALLY dogging it today.  On that one TD, Jordan was jogging after the receiver made his move before he realized he needed to cover the guy.  And then he never dived for at least a chance to tackle the guy by the ankle.  And all day a receiver would get hit and everybody stood around and waited for the one guy to make the tackle (3 or 4 yards later) instead of flying to the ball.  Were they all hungover from the night before?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

People saying the offense shit the bed or Quinn had bad day are the same ones who said ISU’s defense isn’t that good and we should win in a blowout earlier this week. 

This is what ISU’s defense does to teams, and Sark has never been able to figure out this defense. It shouldn’t be surprising Quinn struggled. What should be surprising is how good our defense made Dekkers look. This will be by far his best game of the season. PK did an absolutely terrible job today, and we were lucky to get a win in spite of it. 

But Sark DID figure it out to a large extent. Ewers missed wildly on some open deep balls he normally hits, he missed a couple of wide open reads, and, of course, there was the Cain drop (not his fault).

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

But that’s not unlucky but Texas. That was within their control, it was just shitty play by Cain.

It’s okay to admit your team got a W with a losing effort and was fortunate to do so. It happens. It’s just been a while since Texas did it.

Shit happens and Texas made the plays when needed so i will take that.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Also - our DL (at least on first watch) got zero pressure.  Third down conversions are easy when you've got no one in your face (and Xavier Hutchinson).

Did we bring more than 3 much this game? Sure didn't feel like it. 

This seems like a reoccurring theme with PK. Against trash QBs and bad offenses he's much more conservative. Does he think his scheme can confuse bad QBs? 

6 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Ewers definitely, as Parcels used to say, ate the cheese this week. Sark needs to use this game to deflate his head and get him back focused. 

We were fortunate to win a game when Ewers was trash. To his credit late in the game he made the throw he needed to get the win. The OL and Bijan/Roschon running over their D on the way to the goaline helped him a ton. He needs to take this performance to heart and make sure he does what it takes to be ready to play every week. No more buying into your own hype

Ewers was getting so much ass this week. Sark needs to tell him to cut it out after Sundays.

• Haha 1

I swear some of you folks just love the misery. 

I’m happily enjoying a victory beer while watching the two marquee games of the day. Far from misery, but being on the right side in a game of inches doesn’t really change the assessment of Texas’s performance.

35 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Definitely don’t get to complain about refs anymore.

I don't understand this.  They actually call a play correctly so that overturns years of fuckery?   Nope. 

General rule, if Robert Griffin is adamant about something, the opposite is probably true. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Lhorn said:

Feels weird to have the other team step on their own dick and lose a game.  That’s usually our “thing.”  
Nice hit by Cook to force the possibly game saving fumble. 

Possibly game saving? Lol it saved the game 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

The OL is just not that good yet, particularly at run blocking and particularly on the interior. Ewers was in a funk and the secondary has been weak sauce against everyone not OU. OU has the worst run D and obviously had no QB, so the D wasn't particularly taxed in the secondary. Although there were some inspired plays by our DBs in the RRS. So I knew we'd struggle today, but Ewers really stunk up the field for most of the first half. If he was on point today, we would have sustained drives, scored and the D would have rested.

The one thing I credit the team with is, they didn't quit. As bad as the D plays, they come up with a stop or turnover every once in a while because they are playing with more consistent effort this season.

They executed a lot when it counted.  Except for the INT, they executed every single big play last week.

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Did we bring more than 3 much this game? Sure didn't feel like it. 

This seems like a reoccurring theme with PK. Against trash QBs and bad offenses he's much more conservative. Does he think his scheme can confuse bad QBs? 

we rushed more than 3 the whole game

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Defense still has a lot to figure out. They are situationally terrible, I don't care what everyone's advanced stats (including mine) say. 

Agreed. It isn't how many yards they give up - it's which yards they give up. 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Possibly game saving? Lol it saved the game 

My point was that had they kept the ball, it’s not certain that they score a TD. Maybe they kick a field goal and we win in OT, etc. 

But perhaps I was being a bit too precise. Agree that it almost certainly saved the game. 

Edited by Lhorn