QB Slide Rule

Neonmoon

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Shouldn’t be a rule above and beyond the regular rule. You give yourself up, in time for the defense to stop, that’s how you avoid getting hit. 

it can’t be I made a move but it didn’t work so I’ll throw my feet out real quick. 

Agree. It’s suck bullshit. 

On 10/22/2022 at 7:13 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

Seriously if I were a coach I’d tell my QB to just slide into the defender and if he falls on the qb it’s probably a penalty

We should be on somebody's staff - I think I would be a great WR coach, because I think you can teach talented WR's how to draw holding and PI calls whenever you want; the whole trick is to only do it in key situations.

On 10/22/2022 at 6:02 PM, Eastwood said:

The rule has got to go. If you’re past the line of scrimmage, it’s game on. It’s impossible for a defender to bail on a tackle that’s started before the slide. 

Bingo. Once the QB crosses the line of scrimmage, he's like any other ball carrier. Run out of bounds if you don't want to get hit. 

4 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

they just  need to have the rule be to mark the ball 10 yards back from the start of the slide (if past the LOS)

This is an interesting compromise. 

Frankly in this age of using analytics and statistics it would probably make the most sense to have a "QB slides, deliver a kill shot" approach, especially if you are a fairly deep defense.   One of 12 defenders is more than worth a starting QB in a fairly evenly matched football game. 

The rule is dumb because often times the QB is putting the area of his body the sport is supposedly trying to protect at all costs (the head and neck) directly in the tackling crosshairs as he goes down.  It's not keeping anybody "safe" and as others have says seems to be either abused and or put refs in a really difficult judgment call position.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Had Enough said:

The rule is fine.

Refs can and do use judgment. When they choose to do so.

You have to give the defender a chance. The refs don’t. Cooks was not a penalty. Dudes just are dumb about calling it.

Pretty much agree with this.  Of COURSE POS officials making judgement calls is a whole new can of worms.  If the QB takes a late slide, and the defender has already physically committed to the tackle at chest or lower levels it shouldn't be called. What the fuck do they expect a defender to do? Throw on the retro rockets and magically levitate?  It's NOT THAT FUCKING HARD!!!

If a QB slides, any legal (non-targeting) hit before the QB is down on the ground should be fair play.  That will force QBs to decide quicker if they want to slide or not, not use a late slide as an easy way to pick up an unnecessary roughness call.  If the NCAA really wants to protect players, they would change the rule, because these late slides make it easier for QBs to get injured.

When the qb is a runner and until the qb is down according to the rules - something other than the hand or feet touching the field - then the hit is legal (other than targeting of course).  It seems so simple.   Too many dual threat / running qbs these days.   The defense deserves equitable protection as well.   

Agree with anyone who says any player carrying the ball past the line of scrimmage is the BALL CARRIER and should be treated no differently than a RB, TE or WR.

Any player can choose to slide in an attempt to avoid a hit if they want, but wait too long to start that slide and you may get your head knocked off. That's just football.

It really does look pretty dangerous for QBs and defensive players understandably struggle often to know exactly if and when to pull up. I think it might work to require them to take a knee, incentivizing them to start the motion earlier and with their head elevated so it won't slam into the ground, or have a 1 or 2 yard "halo" rule where if the defender is within a yard or two when the QB starts the slide, there can be no foul, again incentivizing an earlier start to the motion. 

Edited by 'stache

I was just thinking about this and it hit me. So you are running down the field with the ball, heads up and you are not considered defenseless..... and then with the ball in your hands you can all of a sudden take conscious action on your own that makes you defenseless.

That don't make no god damn sense.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah it's kind of weird, but why has this really just become an issue this year? QBs have been sliding forever in the open field, but it feels like all of a sudden there's a rash of defenders clobbering QBs as they are sliding....?

Like I don't remember this being an issue at all until dipshit Kenny Pickett did his fake slide, but then they made that illegal like the next week, so it can't be that...?

16 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

I was just thinking about this and it hit me. So you are running down the field with the ball, heads up and you are not considered defenseless..... and then with the ball in your hands you can all of a sudden take conscious action on your own that makes you defenseless.

That don't make no god damn sense.  

Right, but I always thought of it as akin to fair catch... Meaning it's not so much that you are "defenseless", more so you are giving up your right to advance the ball any further in exchange for not being hit, thus they spot the ball where you *start* the process of the slide. 

So you can't blast a receiver who is signaling for a fair catch for the same reason - because he's telling you he isn't going to advance the ball.

On 10/22/2022 at 3:54 PM, Neonmoon said:

QB has to slide before he gets within 5 yards of defensive player 

This sliding a moment before a player gets near you is impossible for defensive players to adjust 

Gary Johnson got kicked from a game for this shit.

College QBs are actually baiting it now and trying to draw the penelties and suspensions.

"Give yourself up" obviously should be only allowed when no defender is in position to make the tackle in the next couple of steps. They have to be coming in to make the tackle, not worried the QB is going to slide, putting their head right where their hips just were.

I will say more reviews have been made and correctly called not targeting this year. But the 15 yd penelties stick and that's bull shit too.

In college, you are down when you start to slide or knee touches, there doesn't even need to be a rule for this the QB just shouldn't have extra protection when they do it a split second before they are tackled.

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah it's kind of weird, but why has this really just become an issue this year? QBs have been sliding forever in the open field, but it feels like all of a sudden there's a rash of defenders clobbering QBs as they are sliding....?

Like I don't remember this being an issue at all until dipshit Kenny Pickett did his fake slide, but then they made that illegal like the next week, so it can't be that...?

QBs used to slide early, in the spirit of the rule.

Now they jump forward for a first down while also sliding at the last second to draw penelties.

You know a late hit when you see it, with these, they aren't late hits they happen in a fraction of a second.

the issue is the fucking review refs are 90 years old. and live in the past.   They read the rule interpretation and somehow cant fucking fathom that the rule is horribly written.

They seem to think any fucking contact with a sliding QB is automatically a penalty... because thats what the rule says.   

but as has been pointed out several times, once the defender has committed to going after the QB, and made the tackle launch, Newtonian physics kicks in, and they have exceeded their ability TO STOP THEMSELVES from hitting the QB.

they were aiming for the QBs fucking waist because thats one of the few safe spots they can hit now, and the QB realizes this and throws their whole body to the ground, knowing that more than half the time they are going to get a flag.

of course, about half of those times they get hit, they are also getting an arm/ elbow/ shoulder/helmet to their noggin as well.  So its kind of dangerous for them as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Right, but I always thought of it as akin to fair catch... Meaning it's not so much that you are "defenseless", more so you are giving up your right to advance the ball any further in exchange for not being hit, thus they spot the ball where you *start* the process of the slide. 
So you can't blast a receiver who is signaling for a fair catch for the same reason - because he's telling you he isn't going to advance the ball.

Not really. In a fair catch situation you never have the ball attacking a defense and then suddenly say, “nope I’m defenseless now”

On 10/24/2022 at 8:39 PM, bullet said:

No sliding.  Its really a defenseless position and a QB is going to get badly hurt from a defender who can't stop or who doesn't see it.  Plus if they are going for the midsection and you slide, you get hit in the head.

This, and unfortunately it won't be the defenders fault. The QBs are sliding so late that the defender is already making his move. It puts the QB is a really bad position. If I were a coach I would tell my QB to never slide. If you have that much space take a knee, if you dont have enough space just protect the ball and yourself to the best of your ability.... or run OB.

On 10/24/2022 at 8:04 PM, SHOOTER12 said:

Pretty much agree with this.  Of COURSE POS officials making judgement calls is a whole new can of worms.  If the QB takes a late slide, and the defender has already physically committed to the tackle at chest or lower levels it shouldn't be called. What the fuck do they expect a defender to do? Throw on the retro rockets and magically levitate?  It's NOT THAT FUCKING HARD!!!

I blame Marvel movies for the apparent widespread lack of knowledge of actual real-world physics... 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

I’m sure he did but I can’t recall a specific time. He was unreal at avoiding big hits. Seemed like every non-TD run of his ended with him having to get wrestled down or with him slipping tackles and scampering out of bounds. 

This for sure.  He was a great open field runner so was rarely in the position of making a choice between a direct hit, or sliding to protect himself.  He was amazing at taking a couple of side-glancing blows and slipping out of bounds.