2022 Election Day Thread - Midterm Rumble

Js1

8 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I’m heartened by the results.  This country needs some conservative policy influencing its direction.  Just not conservative policy laced with racism, anti-semitism, sexism, nationalism, authoritarianism and all the other poisons that come with Trump.  People on the left wanting Trump to be the nominee at the risk of that being cemented in place because it might help their side are no better than people on the right using him to get the Supreme Court and Roe v Wade overturned. 

What conservative policy positions do you think the current Republican Party would work to implement?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

So I get why many are crowning him, but is it crazy to think DeSantis's Florida campaign will not work on a national level?  Florida is pretty uniquely positioned to capitalize on the current atmosphere in a way that I'm not sure will translate.  

He'll be the Florida version of Rick Perry.  "Never lost an election, blah, blah, blah" until people across the country get a look at him and say, "who the fuck is this guy?"

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

What conservative policy positions do you think the current Republican Party would work to implement?

it's a reasonable position that you need both tension and some level of friction in the gears of government.  single party rule is the way of african and eastern euro crazies.

NYTimes is great and all but fucking slow to update anything.  Anyone know where we're at?  This is what I've seen:

Senate: D48, R49 with 3 races undecided - GA, NV, and AZ.  So it should go 50/50?

House: No clue.  Dying to know if Boobert is out or not.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

NYTimes is great and all but fucking slow to update anything.  Anyone know where we're at?  This is what I've seen:

Senate: D48, R49 with 3 races undecided - GA, NV, and AZ.  So it should go 50/50?

Doesn't this not include Bernie who counts as a democrat for leadership purposes? So if the four outstanding in Ariz., Ga., Wis., and Nev. hold, Dems have 50, and Bernie counts as 51 for all intents and purposes?

image.png.c6e183791bc62adb9c73049126708de7.png

Edited by 'stache

17 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I’m heartened by the results.  This country needs some conservative policy influencing its direction.  Just not conservative policy laced with racism, anti-semitism, sexism, nationalism, authoritarianism and all the other poisons that come with Trump.  People on the left wanting Trump to be the nominee at the risk of that being cemented in place because it might help their side are no better than people on the right using him to get the Supreme Court and Roe v Wade overturned. 

you forgot treason.

5 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Cautious optimism.  

image.thumb.png.e5e4f9f8f540243d3fcd359d3173cad9.png

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

When Palin announced for the AK rep seat, I wrongly assumed that she would be able to win relatively easily. I would never want to vote for someone that quit on the voters in the past, and presumably enough AK republicans felt the same.

Palin better have saved up enough money from Dancing with the Star or the Masked Singer because she's 100% dead weight in the GOP now. I don't even think anyone would want her endorsement much less appearance.

There’s sort of a DC insider saying about Hawaii and Alaska: You don’t understand their politics.  It doesn’t comport to political rules we live by in the lower 48. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

There’s sort of a DC insider saying about Hawaii and Alaska: You don’t understand their politics.  It doesn’t comport to political rules we live by in the lower 48. 

just googled and it looks like murkowski is going to lose?  that's surprising and disappointing.

2 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

Wtf is he talking about? Is this some trans, trans-sports thing? Is he saying democrats are coming for the kids? Except it’s the republicans who want to be the genitals police. 

You’re trying to make sense of an idiotic comment by the same guy who predicted Kevin Durant would bust in the NBA because he can’t bench press very much. 

• Hook 'Em 5

So, looks like Senate will be 50/50 again (GA/AZ dem, WI/NV rep), no change, and Republicans pick up slightly and take a slight majority in the House. Does that look like what everyone else is seeing?

That's probably the best possible outcome for the markets and economy from what I was reading today about historical data on mixed congress and stock market and economy. Also, should be a good moral victory in that it bucked the historical trend of the incumbent party hemorrhaging seats to the minority challenging party in midterms. A referendum against the minority challenging party, even.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 6

9 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Two groups of people who would be really glad to not be part of the U.S.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

You know; you have to wonder.  In some of these close races, how many deceased registered Republicans that died from Covid otherwise would have voted yesterday?

This is something that is going to continue to plague GOP politics until they can move on from anti-vax sentiment.  There's emerging evidence they also aren't getting the flu shot. 

2 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

You know; you have to wonder.  In some of these close races, how many deceased registered Republicans that died from Covid otherwise would have voted yesterday?

Or conversely, how many of their relatives voted absentee with the dead persons ballot.

• Hook 'Em 1

Abortion is the dark matter connecting everything.

Absolutely. It very clearly drove a huge Democratic victory in Michigan with it in the ballot directly. Do you think the Democratic Governors of Kansas or Wisconsin keep their seats in this environment if real, enforceable abortion bans weren’t on the table?

We’ll need to see the dust settle before we can know to what degree, but it absolutely mitigated inflation/recession worries/general punishment of party in power.

5 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

So, looks like Senate will be 50/50 again (GA/AZ dem, WI/NV rep), no change, and Republicans pick up slightly and take a slight majority in the House. Does that look like what everyone else is seeing?

That's probably the best possible outcome for the markets and economy from what I was reading today about historical data on mixed congress and stock market and economy. Also, should be a good moral victory in that it bucked the historical trend of the incumbent party hemorrhaging seats to the minority challenging party in midterms. A referendum against the minority challenging party, even.

i don’t think NV senate is over yet. Lot’s of mail vote still out in Clark County. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

NV is more of a toss-up at this point.  Latest from Ralston is that Clark County mail-ins might be enough for CCM to catch-up, but it depends on the number of uncounted votes there + number from Washoe County.  Otherwise, sounds about right.

• Hook 'Em 1

Go on and commission another study of why people don't like your party Newt. Your voters will reject it too. 

I saw a lot of Victor Shi over the last month or so. He was so sunshiny my cynical head did not receive it well. Right kid sure things are going great. Try not to get your hopes up. 

And here's Rick Wilson, known Ratfucker and an early Never Trumper applauding him. I don't trust him,but I respect his eye.

Perhaps I will look closer at Shi and Bonier.

The kids are all right 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

NV is more of a toss-up at this point.  Latest from Ralston is that Clark County mail-ins might be enough for CCM to catch-up, but it depends on the number of uncounted votes there + number from Washoe County.  Otherwise, sounds about right.

Thank you. When do we think NV will be known? Today? Days? Weeks? At least last night CNN was running with the "we might not have results for weeks"

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

I think y’all are underestimating there devotion of the Trump cult and overestimating the IQ of those who vote in Republican primaries. Trump is going to have several months to himself in the field. There will be other candidates to siphon votes from the two of them early on. It will be a long, protracted, nasty 2024 primary. But it won’t be one like 2016 where Trump wind getting 30-40 percent of the vote because of the size of the field. It’ll be the Republican version of Clinton-Sanders, but more terrifying and more brutal.

Trump's ceiling is around 35-40% in the primary.  He only ever got the nomination because 2016's field was so big.  He has no chance in a 1 on 1 primary.

Nevada, CA, and NY are all slow to finish counting.  We probably won't know whether GA Runoff will be decisive for a couple of days.  The House is *probably* GOP, but the question is whether they will have enough of a majority to effectively govern or whether factions of the party will make the house essentially a daily free for all.

• Hook 'Em 1