Welcome to Costco .....

tx 3 putt

https://thehustle.co/the-economics-of-costco-rotisserie-chicken/

This has probably been posted previously, but an interesting article on the economics of the Costco rotisserie chicken.

absolutely the definition of a loss leader, along with the hot dog.  Which has its own fascinating history which includes Costco building two hot dog factories to continue to essentially give away hot dogs.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Discount tries very hard to match everyone else, if you take a price from somewhere to them, they usually will match it (total, with mount balance tax). And their service is way better than the Costco tire centers I've tried.

Tire price was the same but Discount would not match the free installation + free lifetime warranty. And discount is not open on Sunday which is pretty much the only day to buy tires lol.

11 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I didn't know Costco Centers had free air station.  I pumped up a family vehicle at gas station for $2 bucks.  I knew the machine was a ripoff when it had an NFC scanner and goddamn Apple Wallet logo on it.

PSA: they only work when Costco is open.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Incredulity said:

https://thehustle.co/the-economics-of-costco-rotisserie-chicken/

This has probably been posted previously, but an interesting article on the economics of the Costco rotisserie chicken.

absolutely the definition of a loss leader, along with the hot dog.  Which has its own fascinating history which includes Costco building two hot dog factories to continue to essentially give away hot dogs.

That $5 chicken quickly becomes a $300 chicken.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

I bought a bird on Tuesday  Ate two of the drum sticks for dinner  Chopped up the rest and froze it.  Made quesadillas with it last night.  Made chicken fried rice with it tonight.  Probably doing ramen with it tomorrow.  Pretty versatile for 5 dollar chicken.

• Hook 'Em 5

55 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

I bought a bird on Tuesday  Ate two of the drum sticks for dinner  Chopped up the rest and froze it.  Made quesadillas with it last night.  Made chicken fried rice with it tonight.  Probably doing ramen with it tomorrow.  Pretty versatile for 5 dollar chicken.

We do this every couple of weeks. Grab one and use for a salad, gyros and other shit the next few days. Great deal 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

We do this every couple of weeks. Grab one and use for a salad, gyros and other shit the next few days. Great deal 

Just gotta close your eyes and walk out with the chicken.  Otherwise it becomes a really expensive chicken fast

10 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Just gotta close your eyes and walk out with the chicken.  Otherwise it becomes a really expensive chicken fast

All I need is this chicken . . . oh, and this twin-pack of olive oil . . . shit, some Cinnamon Toast Crunch . . . oh yeah, we're out of Neutrogena . . . hey that's a pretty nice looking recliner . . .

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

All I need is this chicken . . . oh, and this twin-pack of olive oil . . . shit, some Cinnamon Toast Crunch . . . oh yeah, we're out of Neutrogena . . . hey that's a pretty nice looking recliner . . .

I ran into oh fire extinguishers are on sale a few weeks ago

On 1/18/2024 at 5:13 AM, 52-80 said:

I didn't know Costco Centers had free air station.  I pumped up a family vehicle at gas station for $2 bucks.  I knew the machine was a ripoff when it had an NFC scanner and goddamn Apple Wallet logo on it.

if you own a bicycle you probably have all the tools you need to inflate your tires.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/18/2024 at 7:52 PM, FartingMonk said:

I ran into oh fire extinguishers are on sale a few weeks ago

That's like some shit my wife would do.  Hey what's with the new mirrors in the hallway?

Well they were 30% off, so i couldn't pass them up...

What's wrong with the mirrors we already had?

These were such a good deal...

4 hours ago, slorch said:

That's like some shit my wife would do.  Hey what's with the new mirrors in the hallway?

Well they were 30% off, so i couldn't pass them up...

What's wrong with the mirrors we already had?

These were such a good deal...

Except that fire extinguishers can be useful

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

While the gas is a good deal for the customers, Costco does make a profit on the gas

Out here, Costco gas is priced about the same is the cheaper stations in town.   We went to Costco yesterday, and the GF's car was low on gas.  The line was so long that I noped out, and filled up elsewhere. 

I did try the new cookie.  I rarely eat sweets, but I enjoy a good cookie once in a while.  This one was a bit sweeter than I prefer. 

Edited by Gil Bang

15 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

At the one in Arlington you just pull up to the tire bay and they drag a hose out and do your air. If you buy tires there they fill with nitrogen.

Nitrogen!  Do they sell Michelin tires?   For whatever reason my euro cars come with and recommend Michelin but I live in AZ and am tired of the 2x a year weather change flat tires.  

7 minutes ago, SDG said:

Nitrogen!  Do they sell Michelin tires?   For whatever reason my euro cars come with and recommend Michelin but I live in AZ and am tired of the 2x a year weather change flat tires.  

Yes they sell Michelin. 

Nitrogen is snake oil.

27 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

At the one in Arlington you just pull up to the tire bay and they drag a hose out and do your air. If you buy tires there they fill with nitrogen.

Does your wife set out your clothes for you too?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Beware Costco for tire replacement. A few years ago I went there instead of Discount Tire to save about $200. The dipshits weren’t experienced enough and struggled to remove the tires from the rims. They bent two of the rims and by the time I figured out what they’d done, it was too late to try and have them take responsibility. That mistake cost me $1700 in new rims.

On 7/25/2023 at 12:16 PM, NoName said:

it's legit A5 Wagyu man, that's the cost.

will i be buying it? never.

it is legit good. my wife's parents seem to buy it so they can make it for lunch for us every time we visit. is it worth $100/lb, likely not but it is amazing.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/20/2024 at 3:06 PM, Texzilla58 said:

My local stores have self-service machines next to the tire center bays, but they are only powered on during store hours.

7 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'll have to look for that.  My wife would love it. 

I was going to say my wife loves pickles, but I know better than to say something like that on Surly.

That is indeed the word on the street.  Cornichons, to be specific.

pickle-martini-garnish.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

FYI Target has a great selection of Grillo’s products if you don’t see them at Costco. 

The last batch of hot spears I bought at Target had already turned well before the expiration date. So much excitement driving home met with IMMEDIATE disappointment upon tasting.

On 1/18/2024 at 5:13 AM, 52-80 said:

You do know you can buy a small portable 12v air compressor for like $28?  Just leave it in your trunk so you don't have to worry about finding an air station.  Add in a jump starter battery pack and you have a fix for the the two major reasons a car is disabled. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

You do know you can buy a small portable 12v air compressor for like $28?  Just leave it in your trunk so you don't have to worry about finding an air station.  Add in a jump starter battery pack and you have a fix for the the two major reasons a car is disabled. 

I have a full on air compressor at home but i aint buying one for my sister just cuz her tire picked up a nail come on now

• 3 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Anyone use optical at Costco? Gf can’t see shit and needs some better glasses

I didn't get an exam there, but did order glasses once. They always felt off, and I've never used them again. We are Warby Parker loyalists now. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The nice thing about costco lenses is they include all the options and i think Warby charges for some, particularly for the UV filter and higher quality lenses for which they add on an extra $100 per frame ($50 each option).

I've used warby for the past several years but I had some trouble with 'em last time requiring a couple trips back to the store for adjustments and I'm not close enough to their Boulder store where I appreciate the inconvenience. Plus it seemed like their prices have gone way up. I'm going to give costco optical first shot when I get my next Rx update. It will ultimately depend on whether they have some frames I like. Also, at any optical store if you ask to see their non-Luxottica brands they may have some decent offerings. (Luxottica is a monopolist and extreme price gouger. In addition to almost all the well known name brands (Oakley, Rayban, Oliver Peoples, etc etc etc) in frames they also own what appear to be "independent" stores (Pearle, Target Optical, Lens Crafters, Sears optical, Sunglass Hut)).

• Hook 'Em 1